• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Xbox will start banning unlicensed third party (wireless) controllers in November

King Dazzar

There's a bit of reality to it though. If you love the DualSense and want to play with that, get a PS5 or a PC where the games will support that controller. Don't bitch and moan about it.

I absolutely HATE the symmetrical layout of the PS controllers, with fervor. But, obviously I use a dual shock with my PS4, I don't expect to plug my Xbox controller in. It is what it is.
I get a bit of that. Part of the problem for me here is not knowing exactly what will and wont work. I know some clarity has been shared, but the impact of this is still to be fully 100% confirmed. So theres that. But if it effects more custom controllers, which worked one day when purchased and not the next due to a policy change, then I think its every consumers right to bitch and moan about it.

DaGwaphics

I get a bit of that. Part of the problem for me here is not knowing exactly what will and wont work. I know some clarity has been shared, but the impact of this is still to be fully 100% confirmed. So theres that. But if it effects more custom controllers, which worked one day when purchased and not the next due to a policy change, then I think its every consumers right to bitch and moan about it.

You just have to assume that the only things guaranteed to work are officially licensed products. Anything unofficial is likely trying to trick the console into believing that the accessory is official, there is always a chance that the console firmware gets updated and blocks the method being used with these.

Caffeine

what happend to we want gamers to play how they want to now u can only use official licensed product. I have an 8bitdo adapter i was using to hook up playstation controller lol
this fucks over arcade stick users.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

You just have to assume that the only things guaranteed to work are officially licensed products. Anything unofficial is likely trying to trick the console into believing that the accessory is official, there is always a chance that the console firmware gets updated and blocks the method being used with these.
Yeah, it gets a little murkier though for me. When it might be an official Xbox controller at its heart, but has had an extra board or two fitted to allow customisable buttons etc.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
what happend to we want gamers to play how they want to now u can only use official licensed product. I have an 8bitdo adapter i was using to hook up playstation controller lol
this fucks over arcade stick users.
Will be curious how this pans out as I am sure 8BitDo has some officially licensed Xbox products and if their adapter isnt I wonder if 8BitDo reaches out to MS to make it so

Yeah, it gets a little murkier though for me. When it might be an official Xbox controller at its heart, but has had an extra board or two fitted to allow customisable buttons etc.
If its just a modded standard Xbox controller to allow extra buttons you can program like the Elite you should be fine

If its allowing scripts or multiple actions with a single button press those should be in trouble

King Dazzar

If its just a modded standard Xbox controller to allow extra buttons you can program like the Elite you should be fine

If its allowing scripts or multiple actions with a single button press those should be in trouble
Yeah thats what I'm hoping too. Like I say, a lot of this is really waiting to see the reality of the change. And as we touched on earlier, does it reach into usb pluggable devices etc too.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Does that semi private circle include a president of a subsidiary beginning with B?
No Way GIF

DaGwaphics

The last time I bought (re: wasted money) on an unlicensed Chinese pad was on the X360 where the analogs broke within days and since it was one of those kind of resellers, there wasn't any way to get my money back either.

Ever since then, I do just the most basic of cursory checks to make sure what I'm buying is genuine and authorized before buying (not that I buy a lot of third party accessories, maybe a pad here or there).

I almost bought a junk controller for the PS4 from BB a year of so ago, one of those ones where the company cloned the chips from a real PS4 controller, I was saved by the reviews. Those were actually getting recognized by the systems but were just junk as far as the sticks, the touchpad, etc.

"You're telling me the $100 dollar modded controller I bought off a discrete eBay seller that allows me to rapid fire sniper rifles in COD will no longer be usable? This is outrageous!!!"
shocked the princess bride GIF

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
"You're telling me the $100 dollar modded controller I bought off a discrete eBay seller that allows me to rapid fire sniper rifles in COD will no longer be usable? This is outrageous!!!"
Exactly the type of controller I was talking about except mine came from Gamestop sitting right next to the official controllers, oh and the Cronus Zens and Strike Packs

dem

Anyone who thinks this is financially motivated is being ridiculous.

This market is fucking Microscopic.. even in terms of Xbox.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Care to explain how this fixes cheating on CoD by making it even better than PC? Last time it was software on PC that apparently only stops the cheapest bottom of the barrel attempts. You got called out on it and simply moved on never mentioning the “we are doing it for the people” angle…?

You're believing someone who openly admitted to being a console cheater in this thread. Ricochet does more than that:

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
People using 3rd party controller since xbox 360

No, I get that. But aren’t there risks involved with “jobber” ones that aren’t licensed? I’d think there would certainly be some issues with power or possibly viruses or malware of some kind (on pc obviously for the virus/malware stuff).

I get that the risk would be essentially zero but if you used a third party controller and it melted a usb port (like what happened at that recent competition?), wouldn’t your warranty be void?

Even if a small risk, it exists, or no?

StereoVsn

But will a Brook adapter be an unlicensed wireless controller or just another wired controller because you plug in a dongle?

I've never used one but I imagine, being a USB dongle, that as far as the Xbox can tell you are using a wired USB controller.
They are the company in the OP so kind of thinking they are impacted.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Isn’t there a possibility of issues with unofficial controllers?
I bought a generic controller off Amazon for my younger nephews to use when they are here and I actually really like it having 4 back buttons and trigger stops and gave like $30 for it and so far it works great

While it is wired and I know the main focus is wireless I can see unofficial wired being on their hit list as well

Totally a side note but does anyone here know of generic controllers for the PS5?

Does Sony allow these unofficial controllers to exist?

I looked around a little and only saw the high end pro ones

DaGwaphics

While it is wired and I know the main focus is wireless I can see unofficial wired being on their hit list as well

It will be interesting to see what exactly has changed. At this point we don't even know if they were intentionally targeting anything or if they just made a change to how the hardware is being signed when it is connecting (which is throwing off the fake hardware).

If this is really about anti-cheat policies, I assume they would have to target everything unofficial. I don't see how they could tell the difference between a normal controller that someone was hitting multiple buttons on and one using a script to send that signal automatically (as one example). At least not reliably anyway.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It will be interesting to see what exactly has changed. At this point we don't even know if they were intentionally targeting anything or if they just made a change to how the hardware is being signed when it is connecting (which is throwing off the fake hardware).

If this is really about anti-cheat policies, I assume they would have to target everything unofficial. I don't see how they could tell the difference between a normal controller that someone was hitting multiple buttons on and one using a script to send that signal automatically (as one example). At least not reliably anyway.
While Ybarra was at Xbox he always said they could tell when someone was using the cheating devices and/or controllers and he knew exactly when I used the one I purchased from Gamestop

I played a few matches of COD (which ever one it was at the time) with the standard controller and the first game I played with that one he saw it even from his home.

DaGwaphics

While Ybarra was at Xbox he always said they could tell when someone was using the cheating devices and/or controllers and he knew exactly when I used the one I purchased from Gamestop

I played a few matches of COD (which ever one it was at the time) with the standard controller and the first game I played with that one he saw it even from his home.

Interesting. You'd think the fake controllers would mimic the output of the real controller exactly under the same conditions. Though I guess it would get obvious if certain combinations kept being struck too quickly, beyond what a human could do.

I really have no idea how the input comes through, I've never touched any kind of programming or robotics that would make use of that kind of thing. Just wild, uneducated assumptions on my part, I'd certainly go with Ybarra as he would actually know what's what.

Maybe this is actually what was happening and MS hasn't changed anything with the controllers, but a game these folks were playing triggered the warning about the controllers?

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Interesting. You'd think the fake controllers would mimic the output of the real controller exactly under the same conditions. Though I guess it would get obvious if certain combinations kept being struck too quickly, beyond what a human could do.
Yeah the only gun I was using was a single shot DMR and would always pull the trigger as fast as I could no matter if I was hitting or not just tried shooting bat shit crazy fast

I plugged in the controller that allowed the DMR to auto fire (you could select the speed and I had it set to the slowest to not set off alarms) and some of us were in Discord and literally as soon as I pulled the trigger the first time he called me out

I mean he was looking for it as I told him to "catch me" and he did

DaGwaphics

Yeah the only gun I was using was a single shot DMR and would always pull the trigger as fast as I could no matter if I was hitting or not just tried shooting bat shit crazy fast

I plugged in the controller that allowed the DMR to auto fire (you could select the speed and I had it set to the slowest to not set off alarms) and some of us were in Discord and literally as soon as I pulled the trigger the first time he called me out

I mean he was looking for it as I told him to "catch me" and he did

That's funny.

I'm all for blocking all the cheating. Put everyone on an even playing field, or at least mostly even. Any advantage from the back buttons the base controller plebs would just have to live with (I'd certainly never pay $250 for an elite, LOL).

xrnzaaas

Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but it's still way better than what Sony is doing by actively blocking non-Dualsense controllers for PS5, including official Dualshock controllers. And it's happening for no valid reason since you can disable the unique features either in the dashboard or in the options for the majority of the games.

The outrage would be justified if Microsoft was actively blocking or removing licences for some legit companies to try to protect the sales of their Elite controllers. But that's not the case thankfully.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but it's still way better than what Sony is doing by actively blocking non-Dualsense controllers for PS5, including official Dualshock controllers. And it's happening for no valid reason since you can disable the unique features either in the dashboard or in the options for the majority of the games.

The outrage would be justified if Microsoft was actively blocking or removing licences for some legit companies to try to protect the sales of their Elite controllers. But that's not the case thankfully.
So this answers my question from earlier about there being no non pro controllers for PS5 and can only think of the PDP being its own branded controller

But what Xbox is doing is non consumer?

Chandler Bing Thumbs Up GIF

RIP Bing

Karak

The issue is Brooks and others make great adapters that let things form controllers to wheels work on Xbox (and PS) using controllers from the other side.

I use Brooks adapter to get my PS Logitech wheel work on Xbox as an example. Same with a fight stick.

MS won’t ever license Brooks or similar adapters.

So all this will mean is I will not be playing on the Xbox because sure as shit I ain’t spending $500 to get new wheel setup and arcade stick.
SON OF A...
My lord I use the hell out of my Brooks stuff

King Dazzar

Yeah I didn't look super hard only ones I saw were the $200 ones, I didn't see any cheap alternatives but again I didn't search hard
Part of the problem with the choice on PS5, I would think likely down to the amount of tech in one. Its why imo a lot of the pro controllers either use an existing DualSense and mod it. Or offer something unique, but missing the adaptive triggers and/or haptics. When Sony announce a system OS change that might make existing Sony controllers or other hardware redundant then I'll be equally critical of them. But this discussion is about Xbox doing a change, which may cause issues for hardware already out there. Its nothing to do with Sony.

But I think we're going around in circles now. I'll wait for the update and then see how extensive or not the change is.

Three

You're believing someone who openly admitted to being a console cheater in this thread. Ricochet does more than that:

Ridiculous that you continue to call him a console cheater for using competition approved modifications to his controller which aren't even that different to the official Elite or Edge. Meanwhile you ignored his actual point that cheating on PC is a lot easier to get around to do the things cronus does and more. You said that console doesn’t have Ricochet when it does, and you ignored my post informing you of that, that it already has been banning people with that as early as april. This makes this whole excuse about banning users of other unrelated legitimate adaptors through a November update even more ridiculous. This has nothing to do with cronus, nothing to do with ricochet. It's simply banning things for licensing money.

SON OF A...
My lord I use the hell out of my Brooks stuff
Well Karak, I know you're a famous stand up guy but obviously now you're a cheater and I'm glad they will cut off your devices
- the usual clan in this thread

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks this is financially motivated is being ridiculous.

This market is fucking Microscopic.. even in terms of Xbox.

Yeah there is a lot of emotion about money grab in the thread but I am yet to see any logical reasoning behind it. Par for the course.

Yep, it’s an issue now in pretty much every online game it seems. Even Texas Chainsaw has an issue with people using cheater controllers for turbo buttons.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
People are missing the point as always.

Is about choice:
H2C3Wws.jpg

remember? He even fought for us regarding crossplay. Our champ! ❤️ Aww

K-Pop GIF

Yeah there is a lot of emotion about money grab in the thread but I am yet to see any logical reasoning behind it. Par for the course.

Phil needs the extra 20K they'll recoup from this. Probably.

Last edited:
Top Bottom