• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Xbox will start banning unlicensed third party (wireless) controllers in November

It's Xerox VS cheap cartridge manufacturers all over again. It will probably become a class action that will bite Microsoft in theyr ass. The public opinion will also be hugely against them for doing such shitty move.

How many people do you think use unlicensed wireless Xbox controllers? Even the tiny amount of people using things like adapters are a fart in the wind. Where is the public opinion coming from? The public by and large buys licensed peripherals and will never see a thing about this.

But hey if the grass is greener, I'm sure Switch and PS5 are flooded with cheaper unlicensed third party JoyCons and DualSense controllers. To combat the cheaper licensed ones Nintendo and Sony allow other companies to make to compete with their own hardware, of course.

Hydroxy

How many people do you think use unlicensed wireless Xbox controllers? Even the tiny amount of people using things like adapters are a fart in the wind. Where is the public opinion coming from? The public by and large buys licensed peripherals and will never see a thing about this.

But hey if the grass is greener, I'm sure Switch and PS5 are flooded with cheaper unlicensed third party JoyCons and DualSense controllers. To combat the cheaper licensed ones Nintendo and Sony allow other companies to make to compete with their own hardware, of course.
People in poorer countries prefer to use cheaper third party controllers over the expensive official ones. Microsoft is fucking them over

Justin9mm

I don't know enough about this topic to really know whether this is a good or bad thing but it sure sounds anti consumer lol

marquimvfs

You got me wrong, i was not talking about the (allegedly) 1% of userbase suing MS, I was talking about the manufacturers suing them. It's a possibility.

Freeman76

That's a really bad move. Will obviously make money in the short term, but will cause some core gamers to balk at Xbox, which in turn will have a knockdown effect.

Way more anti-consumer than most of the stuff Sony has done and caught flack for.

Sony charge for cloud saves ffs. My PS4 pro died, and so for around 18 months I gamed on my Xbox one. Next gen came round, bought a PS5, and because I hadnt paid the 'bill' for over a year, all my cloud saves gone, an entire generation of gaming wiped out. Thats some bullshit. I dunno why everyone round here is on Sonys dick all the time.

midnightAI

Still no one has presented me with a cheaper PS5 controller
They don't exist? But that's not the point, I haven't gone out and bought a cheap PS5 controller for it to suddenly not work. Also, due to the internals of the PS5.controller they are harder to clone.

You can use wingman XE2 on PS5 to use all sorts of controllers but it only works with the PS4 versions of games. But again, this isn't about support but about actively blocking devices that currently work.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

People defending this are about to look foolish.

The company there, Brook, are saying it only affects online gaming.

Sounds like Microsoft are happy to let people use whatever controller they like, as long as they're not using it to gain an unfair advantage online. Otherwise they'd just ban all use of unlicensed controllers and adapters.

I can see why some people are annoyed about this, but I also think that online cheating potentially affects everyone. Perhaps they've seen more people cheating and gone for trying to make online gaming better for everyone.

Last edited:

GHG

The company there, Brock, are saying it only affects online gaming.

Sounds like Microsoft are happy to let people use whatever controller they like, as long as they're not using it to gain an unfair advantage online.

Which solves nothing for the FGC and sim racing communities.

If they were truly concerned about eradicating "cheating" then they wouldn't provide a 2 week grace period for the devices.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Which solves nothing for the FGC and sim racing communities.

Sure, but if it was purely about money, Microsoft would just block all unlicensed peripherals at all times. As is, it seems like they're trying to make online gaming better for everyone. It's unfortunate, of course that some people are caught in the middle, and I can understand why they are not happy about this - I wouldn't be!

In another world, Microsoft attempting to make online gaming better for all players would be considered a positive.

GHG

Sure, but if it was purely about money, Microsoft would just block all unlicensed peripherals at all times. As is, it seems like they're trying to make online gaming better for everyone. It's unfortunate, of course that some people are caught in the middle, and I can understand why they are not happy about this - I wouldn't be!

In another world, Microsoft attempting to make online gaming better for all players would be considered a positive.

The reality is that they want rent money.

If they wanted to stamp out cheating then investing in means of better reporting and enforcement systems would be a far more sustainable path forward.

The reason I say that is because where there's a will there's a way with cheats. People who have a desire to cheat will just resort to modifying officially licenced peripherals and kits will be made available commercially.

NEbeast

Personally am fine with it, use official licensed or 3rd party licenced controllers and you have no issues.

To many devices that let people cheat online and it’s a shit show. A say good riddance.
This won't stop ximmers etc, they use an official controller to spoof the console. Sony managed to pretty much kill xim on ps5 with their encrypted duel sense signal, if MS really cared they would do something similar.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
If they wanted to stamp out cheating then investing in means of better reporting and enforcement systems would be a far more sustainable path forward.
I'm not sure that is true, tbh the overhead on that would be massive. There'd be endless numbers of people saying that they didn't cheat and that they got banned wrongly. There'd maybe be people who would get banned without fault too. There's also all sorts of issues with reporting, I played a game yesterday and felt like one guy on the other team was maybe cheating, but maybe he was just much better than everyone else? How am I to know? There may be people out there who can spot this, but most people I would guess probably can't be expected to accurately know. I got a message once from someone saying they knew I was cheating when I wasn't.

The reality is that they want rent money.

So they target .02% of the market to raise funds? It just doesn't add up.

Last edited:

nush

If there are unlicensed wireless controllers then there will be near perfect looking first party counterfeit controllers. That's what will be targeted. Anybody trying to find new official Xbox 360 or Dual Shock 3 controllers in recent years has found this.

GHG

I'm not sure that is true, tbh the overhead on that would be massive. There'd be endless numbers of people saying that they didn't cheat and that they got banned wrongly. There'd maybe be people who would get banned without fault too. There's also all sorts of issues with reporting, I played a game yesterday and felt like one guy on the other team was maybe cheating, but maybe he was just much better than everyone else? How am I to know? There may be people out there who can spot this, but most people I would guess probably can't be expected to accurately know. I got a message once from someone saying they knew I was cheating when I wasn't.

They now have sophisticated AI tools that can track player inputs and detect whether or not they are within an acceptable norm.

Money is money.

Because right now the message is that you are allowed to cheat for 2 weeks and then that device will be blocked, but you are free to go again for another 2 weeks with a different device.

Three

I think people underestimate the market. That minority buy some of the most expensive gear. Most use the pack-in controller but there is a huge (as in revenue) market for expensive gear like pro controllers, arcade sticks, and racing wheels. Hasn't Dualsense Edge been the number one accessory on NPD for some months?
Somebody who has bought a Dualsense Edge might not buy an Elite for their xbox they might buy a £30 adapter instead to use a controller they're used to and paid a lot for. Somebody who has bought a £200-500 steering wheel might not buy an xbox wheel with whatever % MS get from it, they will buy an adapter.

Why would they do this change at the same time as them "expanding its program for approved third-party wireless Xbox controllers". It has nothing to do with cheating but I suspect they would try and frame it as that.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
With that attitude, nothing is the platform holders fault and its always solely the consumers fault for buying the third party product. And if you dont like it, buy a PC. Do you realise how shitty that sounds?

No. The third party needs to get their product licensed or talk to Microsoft. They’re designing for a console, not a PC.

When Sony announce a system OS change that might make existing Sony controllers or other hardware redundant then I'll be equally critical of them.

‘Equally critical’? Did MS announce a system OS change that has made existing Xbox hardware stop working?

Three

‘Equally critical’? Did MS announce a system OS change that has made existing Xbox hardware stop working?
I like how you put that xbox qualifier in there. Try it without. "MS announced an OS that has made users existing hardware stop working". He's saying if Sony did the same with any existing hardware he would be equally critical. It's not that complex yet you always contort things.

King Dazzar

I like how you put that xbox qualifier in there. Try it without. "MS announced an OS that has made users existing hardware stop working". He's saying if Sony did the same with any existing hardware he would be equally critical. It's not that complex yet you always contort things.
Thanks. I was composing a reply, but then rigor mortis started setting in and I lost my will to live.

neoism

let them kill themselves lol. i personally never use anything but the controller a console comes with but this is bs for some ppl out there... Glad i learned my lesson with the 7 RRODs i got in the 360 era.. i will never buy their hardware again... i even LOOOVED the 360 S controller.. but i use a ps4 one now.. the new controllers are for baby hands and the sticks suck ass.
6362130_sd.jpg;maxHeight=2000;maxWidth=2000
>>>

Ozriel

M$FT

The clear point is that these are unlicensed, unsupported devices that no console maker promised to support. It’s not that complex.

That said, I’m in a ‘wait and see’ camp. The relationship isn’t really between MS and the consumer, it’s between the consumer and the hardware provider. And Brooks have already provided the sane, logical response to their customers by stating they’ll be working with MS for a solution.

The current console model is a closed, largely walled off box. Only way to guarantee full flexibility with respect to peripherals is to buy a PC

King Dazzar

There you go, the proper way to go about it. The replies asking (any console vendor) for full unlicensed hardware acceptance are insane.
If these restrictions are the way to go (debatable). Then surely the well managed way would be to have had the restrictions from day one on console release. That way, no confusion, everyone knows where they stand. Surely that would have been the proper way to have gone about it? Instead the change is suddenly being implemented, 3 years into the products life.

On a positive note, assuming I'm running latest firmware with change. My custom controllers are fine.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Are we seriously calling turbo cheating? There are third party xbox controllers with that built it. You can even get turbo on an xbox first party Adaptive controller. That's absolutely no reason to block devices on it.
Yes I am 100% calling a turbo button cheating if it turns a single shot DMR rifle into an automatic rifle by holding in a single button in FPS shooters

RoboFu

One of the green rats
So maybe I’m dumb ( I know I’m dumb 😎) but why would someone be against this? Why would you want the chance of cheap faulty hardware screwing something up or allowing cheating?
MS like everyone else doesn’t want to get 500 calls a day or constant internet posts about “ my Xbox doesn’t work! “ because of some unlicensed pos product.

Three

If it's used during competitive play then turbo is cheating, absolutely.
Yes I am 100% calling a turbo button cheating if it turns a single shot DMR rifle into an automatic rifle by holding in a single button in FPS shooters

JFC you guys, what next you think they're going to ban their officially licenced "designed for xbox" controllers too? Because look:

Last edited:

calistan

I saw this thread and was slightly concerned that my old Brooks adapter would suddenly be blocked and my even older custom Xbox 360 fight stick would stop working.

But then I read further and saw that this thread is actually a steaming pile of fanboy console wars bullshit, so no problem at all. My Brooks adapter is safe.

Also, due to the internals of the PS5.controller they are harder to clone.
Absolute bollocks! More likely Sony is notorious for setting the lawyers on anyone who even thinks of infringing their IP (e.g. those guys who thought they were going to make PS5 faceplates on day one).

Top Bottom