• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Starfield the most important game in Xbox's history since the original Halo?

Bungie

I wouldn't call a bethesda game a living world since most of it is pretty bland but I guess the towns have alot of people to talk to that walk around. A great story or characters and incredible gameplay are what's needed to get me to think an rpg game is great, bethesda just has too much bloat.
Name a RPG more alive. Elden ring NPCs they just stand there and wait for you. Same with enemies. Funny enough too that Elden Ring took inspiration from the Elder Scrolls. No ones playthrough is the same in a Bethesda game, it's a fully unique open world sandbox, with wild life, random encounters, & towns that are actually giving NPCs meaning & simulate them fully. Also the way you interact with objects in the worlds is super immersive or just fun. Like picking up a bucket and setting it on someones head haha.

But in my opinion it sounds like you haven't experienced these games like most others have, maybe you are the type to just look around & shoot or attack something like in Halo.

Last edited:
Well are you talking concurrent at the exact same time?

I don't think there will be millions playing at the exact same time all the time. But deffo thousands upon thousands. For years.

It’ll have a longer tail than most games but eventually most players will easily just move onto the next thing

Unless they turn it into a GaaS I don’t see that really happening.

DaGwaphics

I'd happily bet that people are playing this game for over ten years. And a I mean millions will play it for years. This is gonna be a big deal. Not some short term hyped titles that everyone moves on from.

Definitely. Either via mods or official DLC this is probably the easiest game to expand on that they've done also. They can theoretically add a new planet/settlement/space port/etc. at any time, anywhere.

Gamerguy84

It is the most important game to gaf.

Yes it is the most important game Ina long time for Xbox. I'm sure they won't bow out if it flopped but a lot is riding on it.

They spent billions to obtain this game. Everything has has flopped or been small scale. This is THE game that needs to hit and it looks like it will.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Sure, that’s not millions of players though.
That's a moment in time. Hardly any games have millions of concurrent players.

The point to be made is that the games you're discounting, despite their age, are consistently two of the most popular games people are playing on Steam. Enough people are actively playing them for both of them to rank high on the list of games with active players on Steam along with ESO, higher than some of the most popular releases of the past few years.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
And they still don't, unfortunately they are going to release this day and date on PC after also saying that it will only be 30fps on series X. How much do you want to be most of Starfield sales are on PC?

All Xbox first party games launch on PC.

No. Gears of War was a huge shift in game design (see: all the third person cover shooters that we’ve been dealing with for years) and console graphics.

And Microsoft has shifted. They’re more amenable to pc gaming riding alongside and offering a subscription service (Gamepass). I doubt we’ll ever see a killer app like Halo or Gears again from Microsoft because they are less and less interested in the binary view of selling their consoles against their competitors. They are trying to forge a new path. If I had to predict I’d say that Microsoft will be out of the console manufacturing market entirely in 15 years. Instead it will likely be a subscription you can pay for in any platform.

That's a moment in time. Hardly any games have millions of concurrent players.

The point to be made is that the games you're discounting, despite their age, are consistently two of the most popular games people are playing on Steam. Enough people are actively playing them for both of them to rank high on the list of games with active players on Steam along with ESO, higher than some of the most popular releases of the past few years.

The person I responded to made it seem like there would be no need for anyone to move on. Sure, it'll be a game with legs like the others, but most activity amongst gamers will move onto the next thing. I'll play it until the other big titles come out. May come back to it if I have anything to wrap up if I'm really into the game, but otherwise I generally won't be prioritizing it. I think most are in that camp.

Fredrik

That's the point, if it were Xbox console exclusive for even 6 months it would move consoles. Their current strategy makes me feel like they are giving up on the console market. Gamepass doesn't require you to own a console.
Is there any proof at all that this market exist?

I really can’t see that there is a significant group of gamers with a gaming PC that would buy a console just to play a console exclusive 6 month earlier.
I’ve not met anyone like that. Ever.

Going by own experience, people with a gaming PC just get annoyed at console exclusivity related delays, then play the game after the delay is over.
If the delay is big enough, like years, and they already have a console too they might go first on console, then double dip on PC later if the PC version is much better, rare but does happen.

Even full time exclusives struggle to sell consoles going by anecdotal evidence. I only see annoyance, never console purchases.
Well there was this one person who considered to buy a preowned PS4 to play GT7. No purchase yet. And one other person has talked about buying a Switch for TOTK. But no purchase yet.

I really just think PC gaming is a whole different market, I don’t think there is much user movement at all between the platforms.

Halo was the game for the original Xbox and Microsoft's main franchise for the last 15yrs so no probably not. However Starfield by any yardstick is a megaton release with enormous sales potential and a real contender for GOTY (if not for TOTK it would be in the bag).

Starfield could simply become bigger than Skyrim and be played for even longer. Expansions, Mods etc. Best of all we only have just over 2 months to wait 😁

Last edited:
Is there any proof at all that this market exist?

I really can’t see that there is a significant group of gamers with a gaming PC that would buy a console just to play a console exclusive 6 month earlier.
I’ve not met anyone like that. Ever.

Going by own experience, people with a gaming PC just get annoyed at console exclusivity related delays, then play the game after the delay is over.
If the delay is big enough, like years, and they already have a console too they might go first on console, then double dip on PC later if the PC version is much better, rare but does happen.

Even full time exclusives struggle to sell consoles going by anecdotal evidence. I only see annoyance, never console purchases.
Well there was this one person who considered to buy a preowned PS4 to play GT7. No purchase yet. And one other person has talked about buying a Switch for TOTK. But no purchase yet.

I really just think PC gaming is a whole different market, I don’t think there is much user movement at all between the platforms.
People with disposable income do. I got my Switch for Breath of the Wild back in the day. Kept it because of Dread.

Fredrik

Halo was the game for the original Xbox and Microsoft's main franchise for the last 15yrs so no probably not. However Starfield by any yardstick is a megaton release with enormous sales potential and a real contender for GOTY (if not for TOTK it would be in the bag).

Starfield could simply become bigger than Skyrim and be played for even longer. Expansions, Mods etc. Best of all we only have just over 2 months to wait 😁
The modding could potentially be amazing. It’ll be fun to see what the tools allow us to do. When so many planets are barren I’m thinking a modder could theoretically claim a planet and just go nuts and create their own isolated adventure there.

I think that’s what Bethesda will do with expansions. New handcrafted planets.

Maybe they give us a warp drive that can take us further away to new systems with new unique biomes and a cool new solar system wide adventure.

Or maybe they’ll add new landing spots on the dark side of some moon with a new faction and settlements and characters and quests.

There is so much that could be done when the planets are mini worlds and when biomes can be wildly different.

Last edited:
No. Getting EASports (Madden) on Xbox and then getting Take2 to release GTA IV on Xbox were far more important games for the success of Xbox than Starfield is. Microsoft had to reach out to both companies and get them to come to Xbox. These were big news items back then.

Last edited:

Ronin_7

Banned
It’ll have a longer tail than most games but eventually most players will easily just move onto the next thing

Unless they turn it into a GaaS I don’t see that really happening.
This is the reality of every single player game though.

That's why Microsoft wants 4 games a year so people always have a reason to keep their Xboxes up & Gamepass subs active.

Now... More important than Halo? Of course not, Halo made Xbox survive and thrive, even without Starfield Xbox would be fine but sure it's an ultra important release to push software & hardware Numbers.

Well everyone dunks on his poor management skills when games go bad. So if Starfield turns out good the people who dunked on him over Redfall should praise him for Starfield, right? Who should get the credit if it's amazing?
The people who actually created the game? Whether it be Bethesda or MS. But just the truth would be nice 😁

Zug

Like all Beth games, Starfield's main platform will be PC, because of the community and mods.
If Xbox wants to really get more traction on the market, they should strike a deal with Valve/Steam and bring the PC catalog on their box.

Why even considering buying it if you can play it much cheaper on gamepass? Just take gamepass for a month, play the game, cancel sub, save 50 dollars or something like that
I'd prefer to buy it, to have it in my steam library because that's the way I'm used to getting my games. Why change things now? Game pass is attractive, but, I don't need it.

MagnesD3

Name a RPG more alive. Elden ring NPCs they just stand there and wait for you. Same with enemies. Funny enough too that Elden Ring took inspiration from the Elder Scrolls. No ones playthrough is the same in a Bethesda game, it's a fully unique open world sandbox, with wild life, random encounters, & towns that are actually giving NPCs meaning & simulate them fully. Also the way you interact with objects in the worlds is super immersive or just fun. Like picking up a bucket and setting it on someones head haha.

But in my opinion it sounds like you haven't experienced these games like most others have, maybe you are the type to just look around & shoot or attack something like in Halo.
Ugh Enemies are doing their own thing in elden Ring alot actually but sure about the npcs, I just don't care because they are very interesting characters. Bethesda gets old after awhile since it's just the same mediocre gameplay loop (not to mention the gunplay isnt the greatest), the rewards for exploration are very tedious/repetitive as well with junk it's just big time waster most of the time, those games would be way better if a 3rd of it were cut.

Fallout 3 at a certain point the only thing keeping me going was Bloody Mess perk is actually hilarious. I'll give you that people in the town are simulating moving around but other games do this to degrees as well like the Witcher but it isn't the most common thing.

Bioware tends to keep important characters
stationary while having not important characters move around (bethesda does often as well).

As for the world immersion it makes sense there's not alot in fallout but I don't really feel immersed by wildlife for sure (maybe it's better in elder scrolls?). The wildlife immersion works better for me in BOTW or Elden Ring since there's alot more of it and where they are located at least in Elden Ring makes alot more sense.

With that being said I don't really care about how insanely close to reality it is with stuff like walking around town, it doesn't immerse me that much more, I'd rather it just focus on being a more fun game to play with interesting stories/events.

Last edited:

sono

Gold Member
I hope so. I think both Xbox and PS both need a generation defining gota get exclusive game tbh.

And they still don't, unfortunately they are going to release this day and date on PC after also saying that it will only be 30fps on series X. How much do you want to be most of Starfield sales are on PC?
Here We Go Again GIF

MS has made it abundantly, painfully clear on multiple occasions that GamePass is the platform, Xbox is the casual hardware to run it. I'm happy for my PC bros to be able to enjoy the same games I do on their vastly more powerful macines, and think any old console exclusive that never got a port needs one.

Nobody cares about any of this other than fanboys on the internet.

Here We Go Again GIF

MS has made it abundantly, painfully clear on multiple occasions that GamePass is the platform, Xbox is the casual hardware to run it. I'm happy for my PC bros to be able to enjoy the same games I do on their vastly more powerful macines, and think any old console exclusive that never got a port needs one.

Nobody cares about any of this other than fanboys on the internet.
Which is the reason they are having issues acquiring ABK. They should concentrate on improving their console division and not look at it as the casual hardware. This exact mentality is why they are getting trounced. Instead of trying to improve and compete, they would rather shift focus and buy their way to a W. Not sure about the fanboy comment at the end, a lot of people care. Some of us want MS to do better I hope you do too.

EDMIX

Which is the reason they are having issues acquiring ABK. They should concentrate on improving their console division and not look at it as the casual hardware. This exact mentality is why they are getting trounced. Instead of trying to improve and compete, they would rather shift focus and buy their way to a W. Not sure about the fanboy comment at the end, a lot of people care. Some of us want MS to do better I hope you do too.

Agreed.

How can even trust their future can be bright and things have changed, when their focus is on buying vs correcting core issues at management? I do like that MS is making an effort and stating they'll give creative freedom, but we'll have to wait years to see if that is even really true.

I don't know what good that purchase can be if its just back to the same mindset that even got them here in the first place. So they are riding the wave of Starfield hype, but that is an IP made by Bethesda years before that purchase, i'll feel better about how MS will do in the future in this regard when they buy a team and from start to finish ok a new IP vs buying them when they already had it.

Bethesda's choice to make a new IP, may not be what MS would have oked if they bought them years earlier, for all we know after such a purchase they would feel better with a "sure thing" like Elder Scrolls 6 or Fallout 4. Look at them making yet another Gears title, I'd rather they let that shit rest and give us that Black Tusk AAA FPS before they had that team doing Gears for life lol

Pelta88

It is.

But it shouldn't be. The weight of expectations on this game is heavy because it's the first new AAA game XBOX has released since Quantum Break back in 2016. With the XBOX platform lacking in regards to the AAA space and ceo's pumping the game as the next best thing... A low 80's will be seen as a failure.

Obviously, a game scoring in the low 80s isn't a bad game! But again, with the weight of expectation on this one title, I can see a negative narrative being spun.

Top Bottom