• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it outrageous for me to feel that God would have done far better waiting until Modern times to do the Jesus/Muhammad stuff?

TheAdlerian

Banned
All sin is not equal to us as human beings. Obviously. But we are not God. To God, all sin is equivalently disqualifying. “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God”. It basically saying because no one is perfect, we all need God’s grace. It’s about making sure we don’t elevate ourselves above others because being a Christian isn’t about something a person does but about having faith in something God did for that person.

I’m not dogmatically religious, but I have a pretty deep appreciation for Christianity. I struggle with the Bible sometimes, but I think the stuff about God’s grace and how we should treat other people is inspiring stuff.
Jesus says all sins are equal.

In Philadlephia slang, a "dope fiend" is a person who doesn't do things the right way. They are always cutting corners and trying to get around doing things the right way. So, a student my "dope fein" his class by buying a paper online so he doesn't have to write one himself.

Back in Jesus times, people could buy the removal of sin. If you killed someone, you could pay the family, and so on. That's trying to "dope fine" gods rules and Jesus said that's not how it's done. There's no small sin and you can only be accountable to god by genuinely asking forgiveness.

He says this stuff to stop the business of sin forgiving.

Catholics later did that and buying forgiveness was a huge thing with them.

TheAdlerian

Banned
You are an atheist or non-Christian who just wants to criticize others right? Otherwise why are you quoting the bible and damning people in the name of God while basically calling them a fool? It's hard to take you seriously.
I am talking about a subject, not doing online preaching.

Jesus says all sins are equal.

In Philadlephia slang, a "dope fiend" is a person who doesn't do things the right way. They are always cutting corners and trying to get around doing things the right way. So, a student my "dope fein" his class by buying a paper online so he doesn't have to write one himself.

Back in Jesus times, people could buy the removal of sin. If you killed someone, you could pay the family, and so on. That's trying to "dope fine" gods rules and Jesus said that's not how it's done. There's no small sin and you can only be accountable to god by genuinely asking forgiveness.

He says this stuff to stop the business of sin forgiving.

Catholics later did that and buying forgiveness was a huge thing with them.
All sins being equal to God does not mean all sins are equal to people. Or that they should be. Don’t be ridiculous. Also, Jesus didn’t say that to stop people from doing anything. People don’t forgive sin. God does.

TheAdlerian

Banned
All sins being equal to God does not mean all sins are equal to people. Or that they should be. Don’t be ridiculous. Also, Jesus didn’t say that to stop people from doing anything. People don’t forgive sin. God does.
What you just said makes NO SENSE.

There is no "to people rule" and another "to god" rule.

We are alive as a test to see what we do and that determines if we go to heaven.

There is no human rule that is valid and contradicts what GOD told us to do.

Oh wait, that's just GOD saying that, we better do the opposite because we know better than GOD about how to live, cool.

Chapter and verse, please.

Your argument was that Jesus said all sins are equal, let’s stay focused.
All sins are equal relative to God. They separate people from God. God, being perfection, cannot abide sin in any form. So even the most minor sin is disqualifying to God. In order for God to accept human beings, we require grace.

It is asinine to say that we as people should treat even sin equivalently on Earth. We are not God and should not attempt to act like it.

We are alive as a test to see what we do and that determines if we go to heaven.

Oh wait, that's just GOD saying that, we better do the opposite because we know better than GOD about how to live, cool.
You’re a complete idiot. People are not God. We are not supposed to pretend we are God. If you think God wants human beings to treat stealing a grape the same as rape from a legal or moral sense, you are fucking retarded.

showernota

We are alive to have faith in the atoning work Jesus did on the cross. By His sacrifice we are imputed righteousness we do not deserve. It’s impossible to not sin, or be righteous in the eyes of God without the grace given to us through Jesus.

All sins are equal relative to God. They separate people from God. God, being perfection, cannot abide sin in any form. So even the most minor sin is disqualifying to God. In order for God to accept human beings, we require grace.

It is asinine to say that we as people should treat even sin equivalently on Earth. We are not God and should not attempt to act like it.
oh definitely, you’re exactly right. My point is just that Jesus never said all sins are equal ever. This guy is just raging his cliff notes version of the Bible got him hemmed up.

TheAdlerian

Banned
All sins are equal make no sense, they are not.

& meet GOD.

Yes sir, totally agree.
Please get a petition up and have Jesus change what he said.

In addition, I explained why all sins are equal several times already. I can assume that doesn't fit your concept of the world so you delete explanations mentally.

That's not a great quality.

In addition, I explained why all sins are equal several times already. I can assume that doesn't fit your concept of the world so you delete explanations mentally.

Dear TheAdlerian TheAdlerian i have a hard time with eating your brother peach & left him without desert is the same as killing or rape.
I'm sorry.

TheAdlerian

Banned
Dear TheAdlerian TheAdlerian i have a hard time with eating your brother peach & left him without desert is the same as killing or rape.
I'm sorry.
It's what JESUS SAID.

Also, think about it, what are you doing to your brother if you eat his dessert a thousand times.

What are you doing to yourself if you dream about eating his dessert every time?

You have to think about the implications of these things as they are laws. With laws if a new technology is made you have to think about how the old laws apply to the new idea.

You’re insistence on cramming down your own poor understand of scripture onto other people is a significantly worse quality.

Just to make sure I’m understanding this nonsense. You think human laws should treat minor theft and rape/murder equally in terms of punishment while on Earth? You believe that’s what God commanded?

Last edited:
It's what JESUS SAID.

Also, think about it, what are you doing to your brother if you eat his dessert a thousand times.

What are you doing to yourself if you dream about eating his dessert every time?

You have to think about the implications of these things as they are laws. With laws if a new technology is made you have to think about how the old laws apply to the new idea.
There are many versions of the Bible, many modifications made by humans, therefore this is not what JESUS said.
There are many degrees of good & evil, and they are not all the same.

TheAdlerian

Banned
You’re insistence on cramming down your own poor understand of scripture onto other people is a significantly worse quality.

Just to make sure I’m understanding this nonsense. You think human laws should treat minor theft and rape/murder equally in terms of punishment while on Earth? You believe that’s what God commanded?
You are of course talking about yourself.

I'm explaining THE MOST OBVIOUS ideas here and everyone is like-----what?! to plainly written stuff in the Bible.

The Sermon on the Mount is written in plain language and extremely easy to understand. There's no need to puzzle on about most of what was said.

There's no "sorta kinda" about him saying all sins are equal or eye for an eye is okay, sometimes, maybe, lol.

TheAdlerian

Banned
There are many versions of the Bible, many modifications made by humans, therefore this is not what JESUS said.
There are many degrees of good & evil, and they are not all the same.
How do YOU KNOW what Jesus said, lol.

In addition, as I just posted, The Sermon on the Mount is very clearly written and I have never seen versions of it that were much different.

You're just mad because it says things you don't like.

That's why Jesus got murdered, lol.

You are of course talking about yourself.

I'm explaining THE MOST OBVIOUS ideas here and everyone is like-----what?! to plainly written stuff in the Bible.

The Sermon on the Mount is written in plain language and extremely easy to understand. There's no need to puzzle on about most of what was said.

There's no "sorta kinda" about him saying all sins are equal or eye for an eye is okay, sometimes, maybe, lol.

Edit: never mind. Don’t cast pearls before swine... as they say in the Bible you don’t know anything about.

Last edited:
It's what JESUS SAID.

Are you a Christian?

Honestly, if someone steals my dessert a thousand times that's on me. I should have gotten better about where I kept it. If my brother conspired to steal my dessert on a regular basis I would find my feelings about the subject to be somewhere between an annoyance, and a fun game. In no way is that at all comparable to murder or rape.

Last edited:
Are you a Christian?

Honestly, if someone steals my dessert a thousand times that's on me. I should have gotten better about where I kept it. If my brother conspired to steal my dessert on a regular basis I would find my feelings about the subject to be somewhere between an annoyance, and a fun game. In no way is that at all comparable to murder or rape.
He clearly doesn’t understand that people are supposed to follow God. Not pretend to be God.

TheAdlerian

Banned
Are you a Christian?

What you wrote is meaningless.

At what point in Christianity does it say you're supposed to strike back and prevent someone from attacking you?

Jesus did not do that. When he was attacked his friend ripped the ear off of an attacker. Jesus healed his ear and let them take him away.

You are making up your own stuff.

TheAdlerian

Banned
He clearly doesn’t understand that people are supposed to follow God. Not pretend to be God.
That comment makes no sense.

I am talking about what it says in the Bible and how it applies to life. You are attacking me because I am overwhelming you and hurting your feelings with things you never thought of, but should have thought of.

showernota

Matthew 5:19 “Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches [them,] he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 11:24 “But I say to you that it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment than for you.”
Mark 3:28 “Assuredly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter;
29 “but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation”--

Luke 12: 47 “And that servant who knew his master’s will, and did not prepare [himself] or do according to his will, shall be beaten with many [stripes.]
48 “But he who did not know, yet committed things deserving of stripes, shall be beaten with few. For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required; and to whom much has been committed, of him they will ask the more.
John 19:11 Jesus answered, “You could have no power at all against Me unless it had been given you from above. Therefore the one who delivered Me to you has the greater sin.”

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

I am talking about what it says in the Bible and how it applies to life. You are attacking me because I am overwhelming you and hurting your feelings with things you never thought of, but should have thought of.
Instead of internet psychoanalyzing, it would be more helpful to quote scripture again like they want you to and show line by line words paired with intent and meaning. I know you feel like you covered this already, but repetition of primary sources is sometimes required for effective communication.

It makes perfect sense. If you can’t understand basic English, that’s on you. I’ll dumb it down for you. We are supposed to follow a teachers instructions at school. We are not supposed to pretend to be the teacher. We are supposed to follow a police officer’s instructions. We are not supposed to pretend to be the police officer. We are supposed to follow God’s instructions. The Sermon on the Mount is about our relationship to God and his kingdom. You are clearly confused. The Bible is a lot more than the Sermon on the Mount. You should read it sometime.

Last edited:
What you wrote is meaningless.

At what point in Christianity does it say you're supposed to strike back and prevent someone from attacking you?

Jesus did not do that. When he was attacked his friend ripped the ear off of an attacker. Jesus healed his ear and let them take him away.

You are making up your own stuff.

You won't answer my question about whether or not you actually are a Christian. If you are not a Christian why should I care about what you think is the correct way to practice Christianity? Very few Christians historically would believe that you had to be a doormat for anyone that is mistreating you. What they would have thought is that you must forgive and not hold grudges. That's not the same as not taking precautions to keep you from being stolen from/cheated.

How do YOU KNOW what Jesus said, lol.

In addition, as I just posted, The Sermon on the Mount is very clearly written and I have never seen versions of it that were much different.

You're just mad because it says things you don't like.

That's why Jesus got murdered, lol.
Assuming that you're christian, please precise which : orthodox, protestant, baptist, evangelic etc...
I'm not mad at all, i'm just trying to understand why all sins are equal, and you failed to provide a logical argument.
Jesus didn't get murdered, he's been lifted by GOD, they murdered someone else.
How can GOD be murdered ??? 🤷‍♂️
Jesus is not GOD btw.

No. Because there’s absolutely zero empirical or verifiable evidence of his existence.
Like there is absolutely zero empirical or verifiable evidence of your great great +10 grand father.
Also, bone cancer in tiny children. That’s always a go to for me that proves god is either non existent or a right cunt.
What part of this is a TEST you're not getting ?
Also there can be many reasons why he got cancer, maybe its due to pork or ... whatever.
Blasphemy wont help your case, it just shows how fragile you can be, stay on topic, there is no need to be upset or be triggered.

No. Because there’s absolutely zero empirical or verifiable evidence of his existence. Also, bone cancer in tiny children. That’s always a go to for me that proves god is either non existent or a right cunt.

What if the reason bone cancer exists in children is because of changes we made to the environment rather than an intervention from God?

Regardless bad things clearly do happen to people that don't deserve them. I don't find that to be a disproof of Christianity or God. Rather I find Christianity to be helpful in reminding me that we are all God's creation, and so that child as one of his creations is worthy of dignity and respect for the time it has on earth.

TheAdlerian

Banned
Assuming that you're christian, please precise which : orthodox, protestant, baptist, evangelic etc...
I'm not mad at all, i'm just trying to understand why all sins are equal, and you failed to provide a logical argument.
Jesus didn't get murdered, he's been lifted by GOD, they murdered someone else.
How can GOD be murdered ??? 🤷‍♂️
Jesus is not GOD btw.
All of that is such nonsense, and weird.

I don't have to explain what it says in the Bible, but wait, I did like FOUR TIMES.

Who I am is not relevant to the discussion of what is in a book.

Jesus was talking for god and is supposed to be one with god, so please.

TheAdlerian

Banned
No. Because there’s absolutely zero empirical or verifiable evidence of his existence. Also, bone cancer in tiny children. That’s always a go to for me that proves god is either non existent or a right cunt.
I have an explanation for that, which again comes from the logic of the Bible. Other religions may have different explanations.

Explanation:

God created angels, but they don't have free will and are not good company for god in heaven. God wants people like him in heaven.

God created people, who have free will, and then told them how to be positive beings. Earth is a test to see who wants to be with god and they do that by living and thinking the way god said. So, our free will and choices are what makes us like god and good enough to be in heaven with him.

In heaven, life goes on for eternity. So, the billions of years the universe has existed are nothing compared to how old and how long heaven will last.

Humans live a maximum of like 100 years. It's less on average.

So, even the longest life lasts a microsecond compared to heaven. It would be like complaining you stubbed your toe 20 years ago to complain about your life on Earth when in heaven.

So, every bad thing that happens while we are alive is a test of how we handle it. So, a kid gets cancer, so what are we going to do about it? You get cancer, so are you going to become bitter and hate life now, or still be a calm and nice person? You see all kinds of suffering in the world and do you go help or go hide and play games?

The reason there's suffering is to see what we do about it and how we feel about life anyway.

All of that lasts like a fraction of a second.

When you suffer and get angry at life it's like where you were 8 taking some test you didn't study for and sweating it out and feeling sad. But, when you're 28, that moment won't bother you much.

TheAdlerian

Banned
Is God omnipotent? Does God have a plan?
There's two different schools of thought on that.

1. Plan: If that's the case then nothing humans do really matters much because you can't change the outcome of his plan.

So, if you pray that you get that job, it's pointless as god already knows if you will and talking to him does not matter.

2. No Plan: In this idea, god set the world into motion and gave people free will. So, humans are determining the outcome of life.

In this case, god might answer prayers if, for instance, he thought you were really into what he intended life to be and wants to help you.

Those are some very important concepts as they will determine how people act on Earth.

Let's say god isn't real but people believe this stuff.

In Plan societies, they will become stagnant as is seen in the mideast. They don't innovate or do much to improve society because "they way things are" is "god's plan" and that creates a logic trap. You aren't "pious" if you want to innovate but wanting to innovate would be "god's plan" if you do, lol.

In No Plan societies there's a lot of hope and accountability for people making life crappy. We also have hope that people can change, so people that did wrong can get better by deciding to do so. Also, people will pray for positive things, get energized, feeling like they have backup, even when it's not real, and achieve good things. They then feel "blessed" by god which makes them feel even better.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Omnipotence is not well defined in my opinion, which can create logical problems when discussing it. He has a plan.
Then go by your definition of omnipotence. Define it, and how it relates to God.

Does His plan include inflicting innocent children with bone cancer?

showernota

I have an explanation for that, which again comes from the logic of the Bible. Other religions may have different explanations.

Explanation:

God created angels, but they don't have free will and are not good company for god in heaven. God wants people like him in heaven.
Is your Bible missing satan, and all the angels who sinned?
2 Peter 2:4 For if God didn’t spare the angels who sinned but cast them into hell and delivered them in chains of utter darkness to be kept for judgment;
We could agree that it is ambiguous then?, since Alma´ and Betulah are not synonyms. Or not, it is a moot point to the prophecy anyway.
Why aren’t they synonyms? Rebecca is referred to as both alma and betulah.

Moot point to the prophecy? Lol ok.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Revelation 19:6 And I heard, as it were, the voice of a great multitude, as the sound of many waters and as the sound of mighty thunderings, saying, “Alleluia! For the Lord God Omnipotent reigns!
Job 42: 1 Then Job replied to the LORD: 2 I know that you can do anything and no plan of yours can be thwarted.

showernota showernota If God is omnipotent and has a plan, does that mean his plan is to sometimes give children bone cancer? Why?

nkarafo

To me it's not hard to understand that GOD knows the future and that you are free to decide to do what ever you want, you can't understand because you comparing him to a HUMAN you don't know that GOD is powerful and can do that.
Not so hard to understand.
Here is a simple question for you.

Let's say someone asks god about what you will do in a specific day, in 5 years from now. Will he know the answer or not?

Ofc he will. He is all-knowing. So let's say the answer is: "in that day he will crash his car on a tree" or something. He doesn't even need to answer. But he still knows it.

So, since god already knows what you will do in that specific day in 5 years from now... Can you change it? Can you avoid the crash? If yes then you just proved god wrong, no? If you don't crash god was wrong when he thought of the answer. Which means, he isn't all knowing at all. But if you can't change it then it means everything in your life is pre-determined. It's planed. So, explain it to me, if you are forced to follow a divine plan, how is that "free will"? it might look like that because you don't know your future but from the perspective of god, you are just following a plan that you can't avoid.

It's simple logic that you can't get around it. The only thing you can do is raise your shoulders and say "it's god's logic" or "you can't explain god". Which his a simple way to avoid discussion every time you get to a dead end.

TheAdlerian

Banned
Is your Bible missing satan, and all the angels who sinned?

It's awesome how weird you got.

Your character is about what you just posted.

You could have read the Sermon on the Mount 50 times already.

Then go by your definition of omnipotence. Define it, and how it relates to God.

Does His plan include inflicting innocent children with bone cancer?

By my definition he has what many would call unlimited power, but that doesn't necessarily include the ability to do things that are logically contradictory.

It's not clear that he is inflicting the suffering. So for example if the child has cancer due to factors that were created by our modern society, pollution, experimental medications, contaminated water supply, how is that God's fault?

Bad things happen to people, and in some cases they've done nothing to deserve the bad things that happen to them. I can offer you two explanations that are somewhat similar to my view on the matter.

1: It may not be good to create a world without suffering.

2: God's plan involves creating the best possible world that could exist, and in order to do so, some suffering must occur, including that type of suffering by the child.

lukilladog

Because they describe different concepts, one does not entail the other.

The prophecy is evidently related to King Ahaz during the Syro-Ephraimite invasion of Judah and the siege of Jerusalem around 735 bce by Syria and the Northern Kingdom, it was taken out of context.

nkarafo

It's not clear that he is inflicting the suffering. So for example if the child has cancer due to factors that were created by our modern society, pollution, experimental medications, contaminated water supply, how is that God's fault?
If god is "all powerful" and "all knowing" then there is no way around it. It's his fault.

He said to Adam and Eve to not eat the apple. Even though he absolutely knew the end result beforehand, so there was no point for him. He knew everything way before he created anything. But the only reason Eve ate the apple is because god let it be that way. He could just make Eve more resistant to temptations or something. But he didn't. So how it's not his own fault/choice? He chose to make her that way and then punished her for that. And cursed all humans in the proccess for some reason.

If you really want to blame humans for their own suffering, you must accept that god is not all-powerful and all-knowing. It's either one or the other.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Explanation:

God created people, who have free will, and then told them how to be positive beings. Earth is a test to see who wants to be with god and they do that by living and thinking the way god said. So, our free will and choices are what makes us like god and good enough to be in heaven with him.

In heaven, life goes on for eternity. So, the billions of years the universe has existed are nothing compared to how old and how long heaven will last.

Humans live a maximum of like 100 years. It's less on average.

So, even the longest life lasts a microsecond compared to heaven. It would be like complaining you stubbed your toe 20 years ago to complain about your life on Earth when in heaven.

So, every bad thing that happens while we are alive is a test of how we handle it. So, a kid gets cancer, so what are we going to do about it? You get cancer, so are you going to become bitter and hate life now, or still be a calm and nice person? You see all kinds of suffering in the world and do you go help or go hide and play games?

The reason there's suffering is to see what we do about it and how we feel about life anyway.

All of that lasts like a fraction of a second.

When you suffer and get angry at life it's like where you were 8 taking some test you didn't study for and sweating it out and feeling sad. But, when you're 28, that moment won't bother you much.

Nah. Your god is supposed to be omnipotent, but happily causes tiny children to suffer in agony from awful diseases. So that means he must be a cunt. In which case, you can keep him.

...of course the more logical answer is that there is no god, and nasty shit just happens to people for no reason, which makes people invent gods to make them feel a little better about it.

Have a lovely day 😊

If god is "all powerful" and "all knowing" then there is no way around it. It's his fault.

He said to Adam and Eve to not eat the apple. Even though he absolutely knew the end result beforehand, so there was no point for him. He knew everything way before he created anything. But the only reason Eve ate the apple is because god let it be that way. He could just make Eve more resistant to temptations or something. But he didn't. So how it's not his own fault/choice?

It's like creating a robot and blaming it for doing the things you programmed it to do. Doesn't make any sense.

If you really want to blame humans for their own suffering, you must accept that god is not all-powerful and all-knowing. It's either one or the other.

If there is an element of human choice I think it's at least partially human's fault. The way I understand it God is creating the best of all possible worlds, and to do that you need people who have experienced a lifetime of starkingly contrasting beauty and ugliness, and unfairness. If you have to suffer in this life for a chance at an eternity in the best possible world that's unfortunate but there may be logical reasons why that is the way that it should be.

Would a world where God created you like a robot with no ability to make choices, and so you never suffer, would that world have meaning and beauty in it? Would a world where God stopped you every time you tried to do something immoral have any meaning in it? If the child is suffering because of a decision another person made, what meaning would that person's life have if God had interfered at every step to stop them from doing such things? I'm imagining a money grubbing developer who is pouring industrial waste at night into a river. There is no question he is doing something objectively morally wrong, there is a question of what kind of world you would have if such evil were not even possible.

TheAdlerian

Banned
Nah. Your god is supposed to be omnipotent, but happily causes tiny children to suffer in agony from awful diseases. So that means he must be a cunt. In which case, you can keep him.

...of course the more logical answer is that there is no god, and nasty shit just happens to people for no reason, which makes people invent gods to make them feel a little better about it.

Have a lovely day 😊
I am explaining the logic of the story to you and never said that was "my god" but instead you decided to get aggressive and insulting....

If there is no god, what I've said is still a story that affects how people think and that has effects on the real world. So, the story is "real" even if the subject of the story isn't a concrete reality. In other words, some Muslim will chop your head off over a story and you will still be dead whether his story is a material world fact or not.

Why be on a message board discussing topics if you can't discuss them?

evolvaer

Banned
Is there a way to discuss all this on a meta level without arguing specifics of christianity? As a muslim this is like listening to comic book nerds or tolkien nerds argue specific issues and writer runs.

It's hard to follow, though I am interested in learning the different perspectives. It's just not all of us have the necessary background education of the lore.

Some on here are arguing talking points from lectures.
Some are arguing from points that aren't well thought out, or misinformed.

It would be nice to get a dialogue from people's own reasoning, and without trying to prove their point of view is canon to the lore. For people who aren't fans of that IP and can't follow specific issue runs.

Top Bottom