• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming December 2016 | It's app-me, Mario

uM6g9rg.jpg

Each month, the iOS GAF community hosts a thread for new game releases, rumors and discussion that define the fast-moving world of iOS gaming.

The OP will contain recommended games that released during the previous month. All the games listed will have been highlighted by the GAF community in one way or another. This way you can keep tabs on the best games and at the same time curate an excellent resource to look back on to find games you may have missed.

If you're a developer who wishes to have your game featured, please talk about your game in the thread and if the GAF community at large likes the game then your wish just might be granted. Please note that there's a difference between posting about a game you made and just advertising your game with no further interaction with the community, this thread is not for the latter and such advertising behavior is frowned upon.

Directory
1) Introduction & Recommended Games
2) Recommended Games continued
3) Upcoming Releases, Past Threads & Other Links

c9l3j0f.jpg

ZndNB0n.jpg

Site | App Store
In SteamWorld Heist you command a steam-driven pirate crew in a series of epic tactical shootouts. It's turn-based strategy with an action twist: You manually aim the guns of your robots, allowing for insane skill shots and bullet-bouncing action!
As the captain you will board, loot and shoot your way through enemy spaceships. Overcome the challenges of the vast frontier by upgrading your recruits with unique abilities, weapons - and even stylish hats!

screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

I just want to repeat that SteamWorld Heist is an absolute must now that it's finally out.

If you don't trust people who were lucky enough to test it last month, just look at Steam reviews.

Great game, tons of fun, triple A polish, made to be on a touch screen and perfect for both bite size playing or 4 hours straight game sessions.
Probably my GOTY this year.

Chapter 3 is amazing, with many surprises (something not that common, generally games shoot their best bullets at the start, not at the end).

Highly recommended.
SteamWorld Heist is pretty fantastic. Dat soundtrack. Wish they would bring Steamworld Dig to iOS, that game is fucking great too.

Good times to be a SRPG fan with SteamWorld and Mercenaries Saga 2. :)
Trust me, it's great. It's fast, charming, and deep. You aim manually so it has real-time action elements and requires precision. You killing enemies and making satisfying shots all depends on your aiming and positioning, not percentages
I am BEYOND happy that SteamWorld Heist has made its way to iOS. You're doing yourself a HUGE disservice if you don't buy it on at least 1 platform!

J5jRGii.jpg

Site | App Store
YANKAI'S TRIANGLE is a love letter to TRIANGLES. A puzzling puzzle game about the beauty and joy of infinitely tapping on TRIANGLES for some reason.
With an elegant innovative revolutionary TRIANGLE-first approach to interface, YANKAI'S TRIANGLE lets you tap on TRIANGLES to spin them and stuff. Colors play a part in gameplay too I think. Bring TRIANGLES to a forgotten TRIANGLE, and uncover a TRIANGLE hidden deep beneath the YANKAI.

ss03.png
ss05.png
SVAPhoY.jpg

Shaun Musgrave/TA said:
It's a fantastic puzzle game that I can't recommend enough. You don't have to worry about IAPs since there aren't any, and the number of levels is mind-boggling. It's relaxing, it teases the brain, and it's dazzling in its presentation. And oh yes, it's very weird, in perhaps the best possible way. Just go for it.
More_Badass said:
Yankai's Triangle is a slow burn of a puzzler, spread out over hundreds of distinct levels. All revolve around the same basic concept - rotate triangle to align them correctly - but across those many dozens of stages, it gradually injects new mechanics and ideas to both relaxing and tricky challenges.
Yankai's Triangle is a simple facade over a much more complex puzzler. You'll never doing anything more than rotating triangles, for many dozens of stages, but from that basic framework emerges a smartly-designed game heavy with content and ideas.

DrJCzWh.jpg

Site | App Store
RunGunJumpGun is a tough as nails game that puts a gravity-defying weapon in your hands. One button lets you fly, the other blasts obstacles out of the way. With a cast of crazed characters, challenging gameplay, and a pulsing musical score, it delivers twitchy platforming goodness.
screen520x924.jpeg
http://a4.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Purple71/v4/04/de/c1/04dec16d-7014-429b-4b09-33336fa44162/screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

RunGun JumpGun is absolutely fantastic. Loving it so far. Everything is amazing, the only downside is the name, but that doesnt matter since whats inside is pure awesomeness arcadey experience. You control a guy that can fire a machine gun, and can shoot vertically so it act as jumping and forward to destroy walls and stuff. You cant tap both at the same time so you will have to react very fast to the excelent and devious level design offered here. Expect to die but only from your mistakes... but respawning is merciful and you dont feel cheated while dying. There is also a story going on, nice tunes, tons of polish, creativity,... highly recommended arcade polished gem
===
Rungun Jumpgun just keeps getting better and better and becoming one of my favorite arcade games. Dont miss it iOSGAF
Agreed. Fantastic game!

6uO5Gvh.jpg

Site | App Store
It’s Swap Sword! A knife-sharp puzzle battle from the creators of Stellar Smooch and Sunburn! Match gems and snatch up coins, but watch out for angry frogs!! In Swap Sword, you’ll need to out-smart and out-slice your enemies on a battlefield that changes with every step. It’s the right mix of tactics, spells, and match-3 madness. Will you be able to draw your sword before you draw your last breath?
1_swapToKill_noTitle.gif
3_useSurroundings_noTitle.gif
SVAPhoY.jpg

Got a super cool tactical match-3 roguelike for you guys

On one hand, it fits the usual swap tiles to match matches three or more to clear them from the board. On the other, you have a little samurai that you can move freely around the board and have to evade and fight various enemies, and are able to choose from special ability upgrades as you progress.
Swap Sword is great, difficult but great. And I am the only player on the leaderboards...

E6QGYvi.jpg

Site | App Store
Demon’s Rise 2 is a turn-based, tactical RPG set in a brutal and unforgiving fantasy world. Taking place amidst a horrific war in the cold north, the campaign will see your party fight innumerable enemies, huge monsters and powerful sorcerers.
You are no hero … no prancing knight or scholarly wizard but a champion of the dark gods. As their chosen, you have command of legions of barbarians, beastmen and demons. Wield unholy strength, necromancy and hellfire to bring ruin to the civilized realms. Honor your gods on the bloody fields of battle in a quest for power and ascension.

50078507a46473056af17d3753b12599
da3ad247d3ce05087739c1c17fdef91a
SVAPhoY.jpg

Yes, I've been playing it. It's good. A little overwhelming at times due to huge battles. Controls can be a little finicky but generally work well.
It's also different in that you pretty much have some narrative text then a battle then narrative then battle. There's no exploration.
All that said, it's well done and much improved over the dev's first game. Nice graphics and a ton of characters that are very unique.

I need to play it more myself. The battles can be fairly lengthy so kind of need to set aside some time for it. And it's also punishing to the point where I will probably lower the difficulty.
Unlike other SRPGs, it's very much like a dice based game where you can and will miss a lot of your attacks.
Worth checking out if it sounds up your alley.

lZXz4JL.jpg

Site | App Store
Reunite Alex the Cat with his siblings and explore a mysterious island.
Control 24 paws with just 2 thumbs tapping the left or right side of the screen. You'll be surprised how easy it is to climb, swim, jump and run. Just don't forget to bring the right cat for the job!

screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Also wanted to highly recommend Super Cat Tales. It's excellent. Charming with a unique control system while still maintaining an overall classic platformer format. Also a fair F2P system with IAP for ad removal for $1.99, unlimited lives for $1.99 or a full unlock that includes some other things for $4.99

cNf8oKf.jpg

Site | App Store
Reveal the hidden ecosystems of ten unusual environments. Unlock an atmospheric experience while exploring strange yet familiar scenes.
screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Short (not that that's a bad thing), gorgeously atmospheric. and not exactly a game. More like interactive art. Kind of like Vectorpark's Metamorphabet; it's about the visuals and mood and seeing how the world reacts to your inputs, rather than actual puzzles.

I'd say it's worthwhile since the look and stages are really interesting, but know what you're getting into. About an hour long work of interactive art

vgExygX.jpg

Site | App Store
ROME: Total War is a strategy game of epic scale, offering players a seamless integration of strategy and tactics to fight spectacular battles, while using diplomacy, subterfuge and assassination to smooth the path to ultimate victory.
ROME: Total War for iPad comes without compromise. Turn your tablet’s screen into an exhilarating 3D battlefield alive with thousands of units, from tight formations of swordsmen to sweeping lines of chariots.

sc552x414.jpeg
sc552x414.jpeg

KyTlWhW.jpg

Site | App Store
Neon Chrome is an infinite twin-stick top-down shooter with procedurally generated levels and destructible environment. Choose your character, enter the elevator and try to bring down the Overseer - again and again. Neon Chrome is an endless symphony of fight, die, improve and repeat
screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Excellent IMO...I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

wIc7TRn.jpg

Site | App Store
Push it to the limit in this sequel to the micro hit game Cubed Rally Redline! Unique combo gameplay gives you a new section of track for every vehicle. Build a super track by unlocking all 33 vehicles. Just how far can you make it down before smashing into an obstacle? Get on the leaderboard today!
screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

The loop of unlocking new vehicles to extend the length of your race track (and thus, your possible high score) is pretty fun so far. Every vehicle has a different play style to their section of the track.

CCxl8y8.jpg

Site | App Store
An ancient legend, a cursed castle surrounded by brambles, a forest inhabited by funny enchanted creatures and a sweet princess sleeping in it. And, obviously, a fearless prince! This is what Little Briar Rose is made out of. In this particular stained glass-styled graphic adventure the player will help a whole dynasty of princes complete their quest. Be careful though, many will try, but only one shall prevail!
screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

I bought Little Briar Rose a few days ago. I thought the art style and 4+ age rating would appeal to my five-year-old son (and it did), but was turned off by the poor writing, clumsy puzzles, and lack of a coherent world setting. I got the feeling that the game was localized and not very well so.

The frame rate was also choppy at times on my ipad air 2.

I may put some more time into it later, but it was not a game I could recommend to...well, anyone looking for something outside of a visually pretty experience.

I2iqm8Z.jpg

Site | App Store
Break through to uncharted territory with Asphalt Xtreme! Rip around dunes, charge through canyons, drift across the mud and fly past your opponents to reach the finish line!
screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg

hC64TGk.png

Site | App Store
Oh no… The mice stole all the stars
Only a cat can infiltrate their dungeons to get them back!
Help Nekosan and his friends to run, slide, wall jump, and fly through dozens of devilish levels. And all of this with one finger!
Are you up to the challenge?

screen696x696.jpeg
screen696x696.jpeg

9yxqY9g.png

Site | App Store
Run, Jump, Swing, and Fly through challenging levels!
Simple one touch controls!
Collect coins and unlock prizes!

screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg

hpeQ5r9.jpg

Site | App Store
It's 3am. Your neighbors are having a loud party. Stop them in Party Hard, tinyBuild's award winning Stealth Strategy game. Follow detective John West as he uncovers the truth behind a series of stabbings at parties taking place around the USA.
screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg

XMOFuqM.png

Site | App Store
From the creators of the original Osteya comes Osteya: Adventures - a new fast and dynamic platformer!
Take part in an ambitious adventure into the mysterious world of Osteya! Journey through 30 levels and try to unravel the secret of the forgotten city. But be careful! On your adventure you will encounter dark corners crawling with dangerous creatures. Use the whip, your dexterity and skills to protect yourself! What are you waiting for?

screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg

4QDps08.png

Site | App Store
F1 2016 is a stunning mobile racing game that puts players into the race seat of their FORMULA ONE™ heroes in a full season, single race and time trial on any of the 21 official circuits from the 2016 season. Experience a high quality Universal Purchase app which runs on iPhone, iPad and Apple TV in one single purchase, without In-App Purchases.
screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg

OOqR1BO.jpg

Site | App Store
Beams is a minimal puzzle game that features 60 mind bending puzzles, a relaxing atmosphere, and a deceptively simple design
screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg

wcEfO6V.png

Post Brutal - December 2nd
Waiit - December 8th
Super Mario Run - December 15th
The Walking Dead: A New Frontier - December 20th
Mysterium - Early December
Fieldrunners Attack!
Autonomy
The Binding of Isaac - "“VERY soon”, this year coinciding with PC's Afterbirth+

More releases to be added soon

IcBECrt.png

iOS Gaming November 2016 | Apple unbinds Isaac
iOS Gaming October 2016 | When Ember leaves start to fall
iOS Gaming September 2016 | I don't have unlimited money
iOS Gaming August 2016 | A sever-ly hot summer
iOS Gaming July 2016 | Freedom to necrodance the night away
iOS Gaming June 2016 | Be still my growing backlog, summer is here
iOS Gaming May 2016 | April jests bring Titan Quests
iOS Gaming April 2016 | Fool's Gold
iOS Gaming March 2016 | Your backlog grows in tiny bits
iOS Gaming February 2016 | Crashlands Bandicoot
iOS Gaming January 2016 | Should old applications be forgot?

Visit the January 2016 thread for links to all 2015 iOS Gaming threads
Visit the January 2014 thread for links to December 2013 through November 2012 threads!

This website keeps track of all the controller enabled games. It gets updated regularly.

RmHPAM6.png

Genuine thanks to our iOS Gaming community for keeping these monthly threads alive!
Special thanks to Boney for the thread title this month and to Tunesmith for his fantastic thread format and month after month of hard work in maintaining these threads

Just want to say thank you for these threads, I don't keep up with mobile gaming but I do like being able to check out the main page to see what games you guys are suggesting are worth checking out :)

PittaGAF

Great thread as usual MB, thanks.

Looking forward Mario run too and whatever surprise may pop up...but as far as I know there aren't any big names at the horizon for the end of the year.

I know for a fact anyway that in Gen-Feb some GLORIOUS titles will be announced :D

Bumhead

Banned
I don't keep up with mobile gaming at all until I need it, but I've got a flight to New York this afternoon and I'm looking for something to play.

Think I'm going to try Neon Chrome and Cubed Rally from the OP, but also looking for something strategic or an RPG? Something a bit more passive. I have an IPhone 6+.

killercow

I don't keep up with mobile gaming at all until I need it, but I've got a flight to New York this afternoon and I'm looking for something to play.

Think I'm going to try Neon Chrome and Cubed Rally from the OP, but also looking for something strategic or an RPG? Something a bit more passive. I have an IPhone 6+.

Try Steamworld Heist, The Banner Saga or Invisible Inc, should be more than enough :)

NeoRaider

Is Tiny Wigs really THAT good? Should i buy it?
It's iOS only right? I mean it's not on Android? Because if it was i am sure that i would knew this game exists lol.

Is Fieldrunners Attack! an RTS version of Fieldrunners, or is it more like those F2P multiplayer Clash of Clans style games?

I've been (not so) patiently waiting for that Iron Marines game by the people who make the Kingdom Rush games, but I wouldn't mind a different RTS game to play until they finish that one.

killercow

Is Fieldrunners Attack! an RTS version of Fieldrunners, or is it more like those F2P multiplayer Clash of Clans style games?

I've been (not so) patiently waiting for that Iron Marines game by the people who make the Kingdom Rush games, but I wouldn't mind a different RTS game to play until they finish that one.

Sadly, it's a CoC clone...

AdamMPSP

Hey guys, so I know it's personal choice in a way, but I'm looking to play something Marvel. What's everyone's favorite Marvel free-to-play game? Or are they all garbage? I've put way too much time into Spider-Man Unlimited over the last couple years, but I think I'm more than burned out. Haven't played Marvel Puzzle Quest in a couple years, used to enjoy it, but got burned out. Anyway, just curious.

Boney

Banned
Amateur Surgeon 4, out of soft-launch today worldwide from Adult Swim Games
I work there/am a producer on this title

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/amateur-surgeon-4/id1039971965?mt=8

It's part collection/remaster of surgeries from the previous Amateur Surgeon games, plus more new ones too. Over 100 levels in total, with a score chase Field Hospital mode. It's of course F2P and does have in-app purchases.
Is this like Trauma Center on giant squids??

It's a bit too gross for me :/

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Hey guys, so I know it's personal choice in a way, but I'm looking to play something Marvel. What's everyone's favorite Marvel free-to-play game? Or are they all garbage? I've put way too much time into Spider-Man Unlimited over the last couple years, but I think I'm more than burned out. Haven't played Marvel Puzzle Quest in a couple years, used to enjoy it, but got burned out. Anyway, just curious.

The best F2P Marvel game is amazing but it is PC/OSX only - Marvel Heroes 2016.

Sadly none of the iOS games have been any good :/

awp69

Welp. Post Brutal was given a pretty ... brutal review on PG (4/10). So guess even for free I'll save the space. Did look a little clunky but seemed ambitious. And sounds like it failed.

SuperPac

Is this like Trauma Center on giant squids??

It's a bit too gross for me :/

Well you don't operate on a giant squid. But it's an operation game. If the Trauma Center games gross you out then yeah it might be too much. It's free, so downloading it and trying it would give you a better idea. :)

killercow

You have individual unit control post deployment, so it isn't really a CoC clone. Though I'm sure a lot of the meta is probably similar.

Oh, didn't mean to reduce the game to just that (my post sounds a bit harsh indeed). It's more that the game plays a lot like that than the traditional Fieldrunners or Iron Marines. Sadly not something I'm interested in.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Contest of Champions is my poison. The combat mechanics and matchups are simple enough that you can play for minutes or hours in a stretch and offer just enough strategy in terms of abilities and champion characteristics to keep things interesting over time. Been playing it daily for close to 2 years now. It helps if you have a solid core group of people you play with.

Pachimari

The best F2P Marvel game is amazing but it is PC/OSX only - Marvel Heroes 2016.

Sadly none of the iOS games have been any good :/
I disagree with this notion. Yes, Marvel Heroes 2016 is legit great, but on mobile you got some good games like Spider-Man Unlimited and Contest of Champions too. Even Puzzle Quest and Tsum Tsum are decent games.

Boney

Banned
Well you don't operate on a giant squid. But it's an operation game. If the Trauma Center games gross you out then yeah it might be too much. It's free, so downloading it and trying it would give you a better idea. :)
No I LOVE Trauma Center! I did give it a go and it's pretty much that but with some concessions for no stylus. It's also not as strict for perfects for the same reason. But it's the character art that's a bit off putting, same as the sense of humor I suppose. Plus, probably because of my region, the game is in Spanish with seemingly no way to change it to English and yuck!

But I'll put a bit more time and see if I warm up to the looks and check out the higher difficulty operations.

SuperPac

No I LOVE Trauma Center! I did give it a go and it's pretty much that but with some concessions for no stylus. It's also not as strict for perfects for the same reason. But it's the character art that's a bit off putting, same as the sense of humor I suppose. Plus, probably because of my region, the game is in Spanish with seemingly no way to change it to English and yuck!

But I'll put a bit more time and see if I warm up to the looks and check out the higher difficulty operations.

PM me with some information on your region and language preferences and I'll throw it on our to-do list.

Currently working on the thread for Mobile GOTY 2016 voting. Wanted to run something past you guys

What are the thoughts on needing at least two or three games for one's nominees?

Currently working on the thread for Mobile GOTY 2016 voting. Wanted to run something past you guys

What are the thoughts on needing at least two or three games for one's nominees?
At least three. Call me a jerk but I would rather not have 300 posts of a single (probably F2P) game because that was the only game they played on their phone all year. The people posting should be people who are actually interested in the mobile awards and mobile gaming space.

Doesn't the Neogaf GOTY thread have a minimum too?

Voidance

I concur with a minimum list number of 3. To me, the target gamer for the poll should be someone who regularly plays mobile games and can hopefully list at least three they enjoyed. No minimum on the list may not produce the kind of feedback the thread would be looking for.

Top Bottom