• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming December 2016 | It's app-me, Mario

Oynox

Amateur Surgeon plays very well though those F2P mechanics really prevent the game from being as good as the series used to be. There is no time, but you are forced to play some levels with "special characters" and once you use one special character it goes on cooldown. If you used all of your characters you can, of course, not start those levels.

That is a real bummer because I love the actual gameplay.

colinp

Banned
Great thread as usual MB!

Looking forward to Mario and not much else at the moment as I'm trying to save money.

Is there a better match-3 rpg than Glyph Quest or Hero Emblems?
You Must Build A Boat and Dungeon Raid have some RPG elements but not as advanced as the two you listed

They're not RPGs, but Swapperoo and Swap Sword are two really good match-3s that require strategy and careful planning.

awp69

Le Parker is really good -- reminds me a bit of Super Phantom Cat but slicker. Only slightly annoying thing is that it sounds like he's barking like a dog every time he jumps. Like the music though so don't want to turn the sound off.

PittaGAF

I'll be very pissed if it doesn't make its way to iOS where all started.
Among the GO games, it's still my favorite.

Any tips for playing Downwell on iPhone? I've downloaded the game again since I'm in a rogue-like mood right now and want to give the game another try. The fast paced gameplay is a little too fast for touch controls. Really wish the developer had tweaked the mobile version instead of keeping the same gameplay as the PC version.

Matt Frost

Any tips for playing Downwell on iPhone? I've downloaded the game again since I'm in a rogue-like mood right now and want to give the game another try. The fast paced gameplay is a little too fast for touch controls. Really wish the developer had tweaked the mobile version instead of keeping the same gameplay as the PC version.

I have a love hate relationship with that game as well. I love the gameplay but hate the controls. I wish they were easier or more intuitive

NeoRaider

And it's exclusive to Sony for 3 months. Fuck this shit!
Sick of this exclusivity crap everywhere. Nice "thank you" to us who supported and bought the game day one for the full price.

awp69

It's also kind of stupid IMO because the GO games are tailor made for mobile. I wouldn't buy a console version of any of them.

bjork

Have you tried Tomb of the Mask? The gameplay is more swiping, but the levels are randomly generated from what I recall. Similar art style, too.

It's also kind of stupid IMO because the GO games are tailor made for mobile. I wouldn't buy a console version of any of them.

Maybe Pac-Man 256 did well and so now other companies want in too? Or maybe it's a quick and easy task to port it over, I have no idea.

Matt Frost

I am playing a lot of Tentacles: Enter the Mind and Rodeo Stampede. Bought the coin quadrupler for the first one and thinking about buying the infinite missions mule for RS. That and Redungeon probablyare the best endless runners of 2016 for me.

Having played rise of the tomb raider and tomb raider 2013, it would suck to not allow ps4 and vita only gamers to play the best tomb raider game of the last few years. Yea I just did that.

awp69

Maybe Pac-Man 256 did well and so now other companies want in too? Or maybe it's a quick and easy task to port it over, I have no idea.

Having played rise of the tomb raider and tomb raider 2013, it would suck to not allow ps4 and vita only gamers to play the best tomb raider game of the last few years. Yea I just did that.

My point was really just that the game -- again IMO -- is best experienced on mobile since that's the way it was designed.

I have no problem with consoles getting it -- as well as many other mobile games like Leo's Fortune, Oceanhorn and Badland. More power to the devs to make some more money off of their hard work (particularly in the case of the three games just mentioned since they were true indies vs. Square Enix with the GO games).

I just feel some of those games just work better with touch screens. So I'll stick with the mobile versions.

---

Oh and while I love Lara Croft GO, I have to disagree. Tomb Raider (2013) and Rise of the Tomb Raider are both fantastic games. I wouldn't put GO ahead of them but it's impossible to compare as they are much different types of games.

My point was really just that the game -- again IMO -- is best experienced on mobile since that's the way it was designed.

I have no problem with consoles getting it -- as well as many other mobile games like Leo's Fortune, Oceanhorn and Badland. More power to the devs to make some more money off of their hard work (particularly in the case of the three games just mentioned since they were true indies vs. Square Enix with the GO games).

I just feel some of those games just work better with touch screens. So I'll stick with the mobile versions.

---

Oh and while I love Lara Croft GO, I have to disagree. Tomb Raider (2013) and Rise of the Tomb Raider are both fantastic games. I wouldn't put GO ahead of them but it's impossible to compare as they are much different types of games.

Sure. I agree they work best on touch just like World of Goo and most point and click games. Heck I can't imagine playing an amanita design game outside touch now.

Also tomb raider 2013 was ok. rise was a little better. still nowhere close to quality throughout. LC GO is superb throughout.

bjork

wiw, I wasn't disagreeing with you. :)

I feel the same way when it goes in the other direction too. Like I see GTA SA in the top selling chart and wonder who would want to play it this way?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Have you tried Tomb of the Mask? The gameplay is more swiping, but the levels are randomly generated from what I recall. Similar art style, too.

Console editions of the GO games are very successful I hear and help fund future experiments in the GO franchise so I do not complain about them being farmed out to every platform, including VR. (Hitman GO VR is pretty damn cool).

awp69

Console editions of the GO games are very successful I hear and help fund future experiments in the GO franchise so I do not complain about them being farmed out to every platform, including VR. (Hitman GO VR is pretty damn cool).

Not saying they aren't successful. Just not my preferred method of playing them.

The App Store's 10 Best Games of the Year are featured on the App store:

-Clash Royale
-Reigns
-Plants vs. Zombies Heroes
-twofold inc.
-Riptide GP:Renegade
-FIFA Mobile Soccer
-Rodeo Stampede
-"klocki"
-Steppy Pants
-The Trail

-Clash Royale
-Reigns
-twofold inc.
-FIFA Mobile Soccer
-Rodeo Stampede
-"klocki"
-Steppy Pants
-The Trail
Nice to see Twofold, Reigns, and Klocki getting recognition

awp69

On the casual side of the spectrum Clash Royale and Riptide GP: Renegade are also decent choices. Never thought I'd say that about a Supercell game and Renegade is a great racer that's way underpriced on mobile.

Other than those and the ones MB mentioned, haven't played the others.

-Clash Royale
-Reigns
-twofold inc.
-FIFA Mobile Soccer
-Rodeo Stampede
-"klocki"
-Steppy Pants
-The Trail

FIFA being on there is offensive to quality apps :(

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

-Clash Royale
-Reigns
-twofold inc.
-FIFA Mobile Soccer
-Rodeo Stampede
-"klocki"
-Steppy Pants
-The Trail

The Trail seems way too flawed to be up there. Great concept but not sure about the execution.

NeoRaider

-Clash Royale
-Reigns
-twofold inc.
-FIFA Mobile Soccer
-Rodeo Stampede
-"klocki"
-Steppy Pants
-The Trail

I feel like some of these games don't even deserve to be on the list. It's pretty meh... :/

Pachimari

-Clash Royale
-Reigns
-twofold inc.
-FIFA Mobile Soccer
-Rodeo Stampede
-"klocki"
-Steppy Pants
-The Trail
This is a really poor list for top games of 2016. Clash Royale, Reigns and Rodeo Stampede are okay though.

Its been a long time since I've seen a f2p game shoot itself in the foot quite as badly as Amateur Surgeon does with its own mechanics. A quick retry is vital in attempts to master the levels and the fact they put all your assistants on two hour cool downs is really unpleasant.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
The Trail seems way too flawed to be up there. Great concept but not sure about the execution.
It keeps your hands warm in the night.

I find it kinda enjoyable but one shouldn't expect to gain any decent items or clothes without paying for some premium currency and then using that for the items that don't deteriorate.

Top Bottom