• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West Delayed to Q1 2022 (broke by Grubb, verified by Schreier)

KaiserBecks

Well, you don't need XS X|S to play Forza or Halo either so....

Season 5 Whatever GIF by Paramount+
That‘s absolutely right. Good thing nobody has critizied MS for their approach. I believe some guy from Sony said something like „we believe in generations“ or something. Must have been some twitter idiot though 😂 I mean with most of their games all of a sudden going crossgen, who would make a Statement like that. 😂

DeaDPo0L84

Yeah the Jeff Grubb slander needs to stop the guy has been right way more than wrong just cause he said something people don't like does not mean he is wrong.
Honestly him and the rest of the people like him are really fucking annoying. They make a living off of leaking news surrounding other people's work that they themselves have absolutely nothing to do with and then they act all proud like they accomplished something when they're right.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
No big game on PS5 this holiday

I know youre an xboxers and tried to make a subtle jab here but I suppose that doesnt effect you much since you got Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 4 coming to keep you busy this holiday yes ?

I also have a PlayStation , yes I prefer Xbox over PlayStation but it was a genuine question not warring

Marty-McFly

Banned
sony delaying a holiday game at the last minute, leaving the door open for all their 3rd party deals to sell their games unopposed. color me shocked. they only do it every single year since 2016
I mean Sony's last major release was in early June.

That's potentially seven months or more without a major release.

Are you saying it's okay and that we should be happy with this from Sony?

Marty-McFly

Banned
It's funny seeing people say, "What's Sony going to have during the Holidays to compete with MS?" when they barely had anything within the past several years.

This happens all the time. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I think MS's output has been terrible for years and they just seem to be coming around the bend now.

Sony, on the other hand, I expect more from than to go over half a year without a major release.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think MS's output has been terrible for years and they just seem to be coming around the bend now.

Sony, on the other hand, I expect more from than to go over half a year without a major release.
Things often change, and you can't have more than 2 AAA games per quarter anyway. Very unlikely. And if they get delayed, then suddenly your calendar looks empty.

PlayStation still has: Kena, Deathloop, Death Stranding Director's Cut and Ghost of Tsushima's Director Cut for H2 2021. (Both re-releases have additional story content, so it's worth mentioning). Xbox has Forza and Halo Infinite, which marks a good quarter for them.

But it's worth remembering that PlayStation will have ~10 games in the first 12 months since the PS5 launched. Moreover, Xbox won't have anything big in H1 2022, while Sony will have 2-3 big games (Forspoken, Horizon, and one of God of War or GT7).

So these things do keep changing quarter by quarter. It's more sensible to look at the output on a yearly basis.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Things often change, and you can't have more than 2 AAA games per quarter anyway. Very unlikely. And if they get delayed, then suddenly your calendar looks empty.

PlayStation still has: Kena, Deathloop, Death Stranding Director's Cut and Ghost of Tsushima's Director Cut for H2 2021. (Both re-releases have additional story content, so it's worth mentioning). Xbox has Forza and Halo Infinite, which marks a good quarter for them.

But it's worth remembering that PlayStation will have ~10 games in the first 12 months since the PS5 launched. Moreover, Xbox won't have anything big in H1 2022, while Sony will have 2-3 big games (Forspoken, Horizon, and one of God of War or GT7).

So these things do keep changing quarter by quarter. It's more sensible to look at the output on a yearly basis.
I see Sony maintaining more games on average despite this current dearth in major releases, but when the Bethesda deal starts to bear fruit we will be in unfamiliar territory where MS suddenly has more first party AAA releases. This holiday will be a preview of that minus Bethesda.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I see Sony maintaining more games on average despite this current dearth in major releases, but when the Bethesda deal starts to bear fruit we will be in unfamiliar territory where MS suddenly has more first party AAA releases. This holiday will be a preview of that minus Bethesda.
And that's also a good thing because more (good) games are good for everyone.

Topher

Gold Member
If PS5 was delivering this holiday, I'd be on board, but I just don't see Ratchet as enough of a reason to jump over. Nothing on the console seems very exciting at this point.

All about preferences then, isn't it? Personally, I'd rather have what PS5 has delivered so far than what XSX had slated for the rest of the year. Just glad I don't have to choose.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
0 1st party games, if you want it simple.
MS Flight Sim. Also, the Medium, Ascent and Death’s Door don’t count? Games aren’t fun to play or worth consideration if you don’t see a “Microsoft Game Studios” splash screen when you boot it up? I don’t understand your mentality at all.

Also, Gears Tactics. Now tell me how you that’s impossible to enjoy since people with an Xbox One can play an inferior version.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
That‘s absolutely right. Good thing nobody has critizied MS for their approach. I believe some guy from Sony said something like „we believe in generations“ or something. Must have been some twitter idiot though 😂 I mean with most of their games all of a sudden going crossgen, who would make a Statement like that. 😂

Jim Ryan has always been really good at giving console warriors material to fall back on. Be thankful.

Baby Reaction GIF

Yes, I liked it for the first day. Then hated it after the second.

Ok that's fine. Thought you was one of those who just watched a little bit on YouTube and wrote it off. Although you could have kept going until chapter 3 where the game really starts to open up. Building ziplines is satisfying.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Tell me MR smart guy. Name any xbox first party games, that is being released from November 10, 2020 until june 2021. Nada.

Tell me Sony PR guy, name any Sony first party games that are being released from June 2021 until q1 2022. Nada.

Am I doing this right?

GymWolf

yes giant bomb gaming hired him gave him his own show.
this dude has the best connections in the industry

He is like a fat internet info cow we all milk for knowledge.
He knows shit you wouldn't even dare to dream off.

All he does is decide when to share it.

That fucker prolly been using the steam deck for 1 year now. And knew about it when the switch came out.
Ok now i have this horryfing image in my mind about all the gaffers sucking grubb's tits in the hope of getting some leaks...

He already kinda looks like a cow.

Last edited:
So up until Flight Simulator, Xbox wasn't "the place to be"?

No one is denying that that the XSX had pretty lackluster launch titles. The constant stream of third party titles in gamepass partly made up for that.. But it was obvious Sony had the better launch.

That being said, it was obvious to anyone with 2 brain cells that god of war wouldn't come out launch year. It was a classic early announcement to hype people, and prevent people from switching consoles. The same for Horizon. Early announcement with no intention of releasing it this year.

Lots of Sony fans seem to be moving the goalposts. Bragged for absolutely ages that the first year was going to be stellar and much better than the competition. Now.... Not so much. Souls and Rachet for the whole year. Meanwhile Xbox would have had Flight sim, Forza and Halo, all on gamepass. Plus we've had a constant stream of Thurs party titles on gamepass like MLB, Outriders, back4blood, and Pshyconauts

Topher

Gold Member
I didn't mention halo or forza though, did I?

Didn't have to. Forza and Halo was already a part of the conversation you were replying to.

No one is denying that that the XSX had pretty lackluster launch titles. The constant stream of third party titles in gamepass partly made up for that.. But it was obvious Sony had the better launch.

That being said, it was obvious to anyone with 2 brain cells that god of war wouldn't come out launch year. It was a classic early announcement to hype people, and prevent people from switching consoles. The same for Horizon. Early announcement with no intention of releasing it this year.

Lots of Sony fans seem to be moving the goalposts. Bragged for absolutely ages that the first year was going to be stellar and much better than the competition. Now.... Not so much. Souls and Rachet for the whole year. Meanwhile Xbox would have had Flight sim, Forza and Halo, all on gamepass. Plus we've had a constant stream of Thurs party titles on gamepass like MLB, Outriders, back4blood, and Pshyconauts

So really it doesn't sound to me like either Xbox or PlayStation fans should be talking shit at all.

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
Worldwide release. Although PSO2 was NA only until August 5, 2020. Also the NA version was not region locked so you could always change your region in setting and download the NA version back then.

Reminds me that the game is not available here. It's the first time I've ever seen "This item is currently unavailable in your region." on Steam.
Are the lootboxes that bad in PSO2? Apparently they're afraid of releasing it in the Netherlands.

For people concerned what will PS5 guys play this autumn/winter, answer is, like always, third party! New Battlefield, new Far Cry, new FIFA, 2K, CoD, Ubisoft shit etc etc. All’s good. PS is default console in vast majority of the world, they don’t care if there are any exclusives or not.

Last edited:
Actually, I broke this back in MAY immediately after the State of Play. Grubb didn't break shit

It was not that tough to predict my man. They waited ages to finally show gameplay and it was pretty late in the year. Next logical move was to announce release date and put game on preorder but they didn’t do any of that. Battlefield put its new game almost half a year early for preorder. It was clear as a day.

Last edited:

Outrunner

Worldwide release. Although PSO2 was NA only until August 5, 2020. Also the NA version was not region locked so you could always change your region in setting and download the NA version back then.

Yet, if you try to look for it on the store in europe you won't find it. Tried both on PC and on Xbox Series.

reksveks

you just ignored a significant number of PlayStation games in year 1

this post is totally disingenuous

T0minator

I'm having my doubts about an actual delay...they mentioned they were on track for this holiday... Let's wait for Sony to confirm before we get all crazy and upset

you just ignored a significant number of PlayStation games in year 1

this post is totally disingenuous
If we are going to count cross gen games, and mediocre non system sellers like sack boy.... Then we have a hell of a lot more Xbox games to count for the first year too.

Sea of theives expansion
Gears of War hivebusters
Falconeer
Etc etc

But of course those games won't be counted. I love it how a PS gamer can't even meet me in the middle. PS had a good first half... Not so much second half. But it's impossible to admit to most fanboys on gaf.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Can’t believe we had to go from thinking we were getting next-gen God of War and Horizon in 2021, to getting cross-gen versions of both (hopefully) in 2022.

Not a cool turn of events.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
After the shit flinging from Sony fans when the Halo delay left a gaping hole in the Xbox launch, it's hilarious that the shoe is now on the other foot and Xbox is the console to have for late 2021.
Yeah, we need one of those crow-eating threads. Those are the best thing about modern neogaf and really should help deter all the shit-posting, or at least make it valuable.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Lmao guys, what year is this? 2007?

Expecting a great number of games released in a new generation's first year out in this day and age is impossible.

Just be happy that we got some bangers that have came out on PS5, and later on this year, for the XSEX.

The first year of the PS4 and Xbox One was asinine, in comparison.
Tell that to Sony not to us. They are the ones setting the expectations.

GuinGuin

Banned
Hard to imagine them not having a big first party title for the busiest time of the year for sales (Christmas) so we will see.

MScarpa

Almost no lies detected; technically they already said Horizon 2 was cross-gen at the June 2020 event. So can't say they were misleading there tbh.

But, they absolutely did advertise GT7 as PS5 only (even when a Spanish retail leak earlier listed PS4), and basically left people to interpret Ragnarok would be PS5-only given they were still quiet on a lot of their cross-gen plans at that point and people gave them benefit of the doubt their cross-gen support would end with Horizon: Forbidden West....in early (like, around March) 2021.

Misleading messaging regarding cross-gen status of Ragnarok and GT7 (and even other things that I still personally think are happening, i.e Demon's Souls Remake to PC (maybe less so to PS4 given the timing now)) was not a good idea in the long run, in hindsight.
Wait, So Horizon and God War 2 are going to be on PS4 in 2022?

CamHostage

Actually, I broke this back in MAY immediately after the State of Play. Grubb didn't break shit

Making a prediction is not at all the same as doing research.

Say what you will about their batting average, but Grubb and Schreier called up people who knew things and talked with them about the status of their jobs.

(Digging for scoops is a weirdly unwieldy. Two people in the same company might say something totally different, and neither is trying to lie, just their perspective is incomplete or their insight is old or something they heard but weren't connected to was not actually what was happening.)

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
It was not that tough to predict my man. They waited ages to finally show gameplay and it was pretty late in the year. Next logical move was to announce release date and put game on preorder but they didn’t do any of that. Battlefield put its new game almost half a year early for preorder. It was clear as a day.
Yeah I know, I'm just messing around. I thought the same when Grubb said he doesn't think it's releasing in 2021. It was obvious

Chad Strongwill

Neo Member
I’m really not that fussed who ‘wins’ late 2021 because I’m fortunate to own both PS5 and Series X, but MS fans need to tone it down a bit because once fall is over, it appears the next big game will be fall 2022 - by then Sony will have released a raft of games. Enjoy the games while they are there, but quit with the high horse act for the love of god.
Redfall is summer 2022. Between now and then Sony will have released just Horizon Forbidden West, what "raft of games"? Gran Turismo 7 should come at fall and God of War 5 for fall or the holidays, though to be honest there is a chance of God of War 5 getting further delayed. Microsoft has Forza Motorsport, Redfall and Starfield for next year which are all actual next-gen games.

Top Bottom