• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West Delayed to Q1 2022 (broke by Grubb, verified by Schreier)

Bryank75

Banned
Tell me A big ps5 game that people would literally buy ps5 for?

GT fans wont get ps5 right now. Horizon fans too. Same for GOW fans. If any of these games were ps5 exclusive, people would have rushed to buy ps5.

Only those who care about shiny graphics would buy ps5 for these games.

I would say that the minimal loading and 60fps along with the controller haptics and triggers etc are the bigger differences with the PS5 compared to PS4.

1st party was already making games look incredible on PS4 and it's more on the production side to make games look better than the tech now.

Better hardware just makes it easier.

Marty-McFly

Banned
There is plenty for the rest of the year. I don't get this mindset that only first party games actually count for anything. Oh.....but this is just console warrior jabbering, isn't it?
Big games are more exciting to most gamer's. That's why they sell the best.

Duchess

(looks at gaming backlog, AKA the Pile of Shame)

I'm honestly not sure I'll get through this lot before 2022 ... :|

kingfey

Banned
I would say that the minimal loading and 60fps along with the controller haptics and triggers etc are the bigger differences with the PS5 compared to PS4.

1st party was already making games look incredible on PS4 and it's more on the production side to make games look better than the tech now.

Better hardware just makes it easier.
You are telling people to buy a $500 console, plus 70$ to play those games, when they can play it on their ps4 (base, slim, pro) for 60$.
If I know anything about people, its that they are stingey. The last thing they will do is spend that much, just to experience forgettable experience.

People will only buy something, when you make it exclusive to that system. Without that push, they won't buy it.

kingfey

Banned
We aren't in "casuals" season yet. That starts 2 years from now when the system can be had for $299 or less.
You are ignoring way too much people who are waiting for Cod, Fifa, Battlefield. These players will buy ps5. But they won't ps5 for those games.

Markio128

You are telling people to buy a $500 console, plus 70$ to play those games, when they can play it on their ps4 (base, slim, pro) for 60$.
If I know anything about people, its that they are stingey. The last thing they will do is spend that much, just to experience forgettable experience.

People will only buy something, when you make it exclusive to that system. Without that push, they won't buy it.
So you’re saying that people don’t want to buy the fastest selling console?
Makes perfect sense.

Marty-McFly

Banned
"Most gamers" have their heads warped by Fortnite. I play games that are fun. Plenty of Xbox fans talking about The Ascent last couple of days. That's a fun game too.
Okay but your personal tastes don't justify that the masses want big games like Horizon Forbidden West on PS5 this holiday and not indie games.

Vognerful

Almost no lies detected; technically they already said Horizon 2 was cross-gen at the June 2020 event. So can't say they were misleading there tbh.

But, they absolutely did advertise GT7 as PS5 only (even when a Spanish retail leak earlier listed PS4), and basically left people to interpret Ragnarok would be PS5-only given they were still quiet on a lot of their cross-gen plans at that point and people gave them benefit of the doubt their cross-gen support would end with Horizon: Forbidden West....in early (like, around March) 2021.

Misleading messaging regarding cross-gen status of Ragnarok and GT7 (and even other things that I still personally think are happening, i.e Demon's Souls Remake to PC (maybe less so to PS4 given the timing now)) was not a good idea in the long run, in hindsight.
They did not. The cross gen thing came in an interview in September, not during the game reveal.

"Most gamers" have their heads warped by Fortnite. I play games that are fun. Plenty of Xbox fans talking about The Ascent last couple of days. That's a fun game too.

Just because you're trash at Fortnite doesn't mean the people who enjoy playing it have had their "heads warped"

What a weird thing to say

kingfey

Banned
So you’re saying that people don’t want to buy the fastest selling console?
Makes perfect sense.
We have more players than ps2+ps3+ps4 combined. Its expected for it to be the fastest selling console.

People aren't buying the console for its exclusive. You have those COD fanatics. European with their crazy fifa, and New freaking battlefield 2042 dropping this year, with 128 players on next gen console.

We have more warehouses compared to those gens, which is able to meet the demand, despite the Corona.

People ignore these points, and scream how fast its selling.

If those consoles had the warehouses we have today, Amazon and those big gaint companies, for shipping, and the internet during those time, ps2 would have been the fastest selling console of all time.

Topher

Gold Member
Okay but your personal tastes don't justify that the masses want big games like Horizon Forbidden West on PS5 this holiday and not indie games.

The "masses" will have to wait a little while for HFW just like they are having to wait for Halo Infinite. It will be ok.

Just because you're trash at Fortnite doesn't mean the people who enjoy playing it have had their "heads warped"

What a weird thing to say

It was just a joke.

Last edited:

Yoboman

If that were correct next gen systems wouldn't be having record sales and unprecedented shortages

People who would hold off are the same people who buy a system after price cuts a few years later and it has nothing to do with exclusives

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Heh, cynical. I know it feels like an effective tactic, but it's kind of a bad way to run a publicly-traded business (although probably Horizon 2 wouldn't make much of a blip on SNE's trading,) so I doubt it works that way.

Also, Horizon already slipped its original release day. It was originally Spring 2021, with GT7 slotted in that Summer date (now 2022) and God of War supposedly a Christmas game (?).

Virtually everything on their original calendar aside from Spidey Miles Morales and Sackboy shifted a season or more later. Most of that is COVID-related, though planning games for brand-new platforms is obviously extremely tricky. So, it wouldn't be a surprise if Horizon slipped again, given Sony already hedged that timeframe when they gave it in the State of Play, but for now it's within the pipeline of where things have landed with the rest of the PS5 schedule.

? That's basically the same schedule of appearances Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart was on, and it came out.
Every product which was announced for this year at E3 will be out within 5 months.

It's not like the old days where you needed a year of lead-in to put out a game now. Publishers can go direct to consumers with video and tweets, the digital storefronts are plenty capable of even surprise-launching a game day-of-announcement. Products like Deathloop, where they have to feature it over and over again because the new IP is tough to get to stick, those are kind of the rarity rather than the norm.

It's a fair indicator, that we haven't seen a lot of Horizon it is possibly delayed, but we still hadn't seen much of anything new of Halo until Tuesday yet now it's playing in Technical Test and looking good so far (...well, they need to ship much more than a deathmatch game, but having that test out is comforting if anybody was worried it would slip again.)

You know, sometimes, you hit that Post Reply button and this happens...

PlayStation Video Game Horizon Forbidden West Delayed To 2022

(Jason Schreier, reporting from a source, unconfirmed, no official comment yet)

I think your point regarding shareholders is pretty strong, but I also think they have a clear pattern of announcing games that, internally, they must know are going to be delayed. It happens too often, to the point that I could have told them GoW was going to be delayed. Any of us could have with near certainty.

So something is off there.

kingfey

Banned
The "masses" will have to wait a little while for HFW just like they had to wait for Halo Infinite. It will be ok.

It was just a joke.
I may not play halo, but I will definitely play horizon when it comes out.

Robot dinasours for the win.
sound & vision robot GIF by Europeana

Flight Sim and Forza Horizon are next gen only and will do well this holiday but they will give XSX a next gen mystique because they are graphics showcase games. Halo is better game to make cross gen because the graphics are meh. Horizon should have been a graphics showcase for PS5 only that's all I'm saying.

It may not wind up being a problem for Sony but it was still a mistake in my humble opinion good sir:pie_mansinger:
Forza Horizon is cross-gen, it also doesn't look anywhere near as good during actual gameplay as it does in that replay footage people kept showing off. The real gameplay shows pop in very close to the car as well as all over mountainsides etc. Flight Sim is barely a game and you can't even get the most out of it without the console being connected to the internet. I have a PS5 and a Series X and the ONLY current games I've been interested to play at all on XSX are Deaths Door and The Ascent both of which are indie cross-gen games that I could have easily just played on my One X.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
If that were correct next gen systems wouldn't be having record sales and unprecedented shortages

People who would hold off are the same people who buy a system after price cuts a few years later and it has nothing to do with exclusives
I will agree with money part. Only those who have the money for it, will buy it.

This year is different. The games that were supposed to be the console, is happening to land on last gen.

You are effectively killing the motivation for the next console.

Same as how xbox games are on pc. I want to buy the console, at the same time, I can buy most of their games on pc, and Xbox one s. Which makes it harder for me to get it.

People will buy it regardless. Exclusive or not. It will just delay their decision for 1-2 years.

I am contemplating on getting my 2nd ps5 this holiday, or next year. I still have my base ps4, which is still getting games. It is tough decision.

Last edited:

Markio128

We have more players than ps2+ps3+ps4 combined. Its expected for it to be the fastest selling console.

People aren't buying the console for its exclusive. You have those COD fanatics. European with their crazy fifa, and New freaking battlefield 2042 dropping this year, with 128 players on next gen console.

We have more warehouses compared to those gens, which is able to meet the demand, despite the Corona.

People ignore these points, and scream how fast its selling.

If those consoles had the warehouses we have today, Amazon and those big gaint companies, for shipping, and the internet during those time, ps2 would have been the fastest selling console of all time.
The Wii is one of the best selling console of all time, however, the Wii u isn’t, even though there were ‘more gamers’ when it was released. Your argument is extremely flawed. People will buy quality, simple as that. Also, we didn’t need Amazon sized warehouses when the PS2 was released because there were things called game stores.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

You are ignoring way too much people who are waiting for Cod, Fifa, Battlefield. These players will buy ps5. But they won't ps5 for those games.

So now playing games at 4K and at 60 fps doesn't matter?

Why not patch Horizon to 60fps to make up for the delay

That should have been done already. Heck.......they could make a Director's Cut for this Fall and it'll sell well.

kingfey

Banned
So now playing games at 4K and at 60 fps doesn't matter?

That should have been done already. Heck.......they could make a Director's Cut for this Fall and it'll sell well.
4k 60 fps is just for the rich. It doesnt change anything for gaming. Your eyes might perceive it differently, but you are still playing the same game.

Unless you have certain game features, only 4k 60 fps has. Which is nothing. All you are getting is smoother experience.

If the game is a turd, it wont change shit. It will still be a turd. 4k 60 fps wont change anthem or avengers game.

kingfey

Banned
The Wii is one of the best selling console of all time, however, the Wii u isn’t, even though there were ‘more gamers’ when it was released. Your argument is extremely flawed. People will buy quality, simple as that. Also, we didn’t need Amazon sized warehouses when the PS2 was released because there were things called game stores.
How many people had game stores next to them?
You are getting your console, delivered to your house. How is that not a game changing. You simply sit at your house, log in your phone, and order. You dont have to stay in the line for the system to arrive the store. People used to sleep next to those stores.

The wii u suffered from the design. Its why it failed. The wii had flawless design, and that remote controller. The switch had minimalistic design, and dock. Without a dock, many wouldnt have bought the switch.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
4k 60 fps is just for the rich. It doesnt change anything for gaming. Your eyes might perceive it differently, but you are still playing the same game.

Unless you have certain game features, only 4k 60 fps has. Which is nothing. All you are getting is smoother experience.

If the game is a turd, it wont change shit. It will still be a turd. 4k 60 fps wont change anthem or avengers game.

I can't believe you said the bolded just like that.

Try playing CP2077 on a base PS4 and then watch that same game be played at a solid 60 fps on a PS5. It's a HUGE difference.

Markio128

How many people had game stores next to them?
You are getting your console, delivered to your house. How is that not a game changing. You simply sit at your house, log in your phone, and order. You dont have to stay in the line for the system to arrive the store. People used to sleep next to those stores.

The wii u suffered from the design. Its why it failed. The wii had flawless design, and that remote controller. The switch had minimalistic design, and dock. Without a dock, many wouldnt have bought the switch.
Exactly my point - people are not stupid and will only buy quality stuff. All evidence suggests that a lot of people want the PS5, not just because of any particular games (though Returnal, R&C and Demon’s Souls are all great games imo), but because of the brilliant controller and the super fast loading. I have no doubt that owners of PS4 will be looking to upgrade to the PS5 asap.

Oh, and in my small town, there used to be 5 or 6 stores where I could buy the latest consoles/games - now there are no game stores. We are more or less forced to order online now.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned

Hey, tell that to Xbox..... PS5 has exclusive games.

But I agree that HFW and GOW as well as GT7 should be PS5 exclusive.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
No surprise here. Going back to last June, my prediction has always been February 2022 for Horizon II: Forbidden West. Now, I will actually predict the date - February 25th, 2022 to celebrate the 5th year anniversary and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a more expensive Director's Cut that includes the original Horizon Zero Dawn and The Frozen Wilds expansion.

EDIT: I know a lot here discredit Grubb but there's people on Reddit that tracks his accuracy. Before the Horizon 2 delay, Grubb is 49-10 which is 83% accuracy and far better than any so called PlayStation insider the last few years as there hasn't been any accurate ones since Shinobi and Colin years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Not really. They have reason not to trust Grubbs. This time his story was corroborated by a more reputable source. Blind squirrels should cherish those nuts. :messenger_beaming:
This same excuse is used every time something that an “insider” that you don’t like turns out to be correct. It’ll be pulled out the next time grubb says something that turns out to be true that you denied.

Top Bottom