• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Sequel and Gran Turismo 7 are Cross Generation Titles

Godot25

Banned
ePNZhnw.jpg

Javthusiast

Banned
Who could have thought they wanna get the most amount of money at the start of the gen and that means getting that ps4 userbase.

WHO?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Also, this phrase looks very much as all titles will be timed exclusives or not exclusives at all. He doesnt say will be the "only place", he says it will be "the best place" as Phil told us about Gamepass.
They have already said in press releases that all first party games will be coming to PC. they used the word explore bringing them to PC but we all know what that means.

Papacheeks

Banned
Imran is basically saying what people with common sense on here and on the internet should know. Games that started development couple years ago did not have final kits yet, and more than likely like God of war started on PS4.

If horizon is anything to go buy, I think people are going to still get amazing uncompromised games. They can make 2 different versions and the difference will be very apparent.

To me if you cant see the next gen difference then sell your PS5.

Sony knows what they are doing. Covid I think made things a little more difficult like Imran lets on. Anything that started in 2019 and on will be next gen only. WHich is why Ratchet is PS5 only it started in 2019. In terms of full production.

Faithless83

Banned
They’ll launch sooner than Santa Monica, Polyphony and Guerrilla’s next gen only games (probably Naughty Dog’s too).

I’d assume the Xbox titles are all 2022-24 releases.
I don't think they'll launch sooner if Sony has the time to port the games to PS4, but we'll see.

JoeBudden

This certainly sucks but this isn't as big as an issue as people are making it out to be.

Horizon FW still looked really good for a cross gen title. Shit, God of War PS4 with the 60 fps PS5 patch still looks unreal.

I'm way more concerned with them nailing the story after all the awesome world building with the first game.

longdi

Banned
How many first party PS5 only exclusives will have been released come June vs equivalent XSX|S?

It is disappointing to see these titles being cross-gen, but also no chance missed at mischaracterising the “believe in generation” quote and trolling too :p.

why june? why not until end of the year, with the holidays? tbf we also knew sony started ps5 development earlier down to producing the number of units.
not much of an excuse if you are xbox gamers, but we get Gamepass buffet to keep us busy.

imo jimbo purposefully mischaracterised his quote, to let the media run away with it, or hinted them to.
jimbo timings after MS cross gen talks, is no coincidence.

sony and other firms do that all the time.

hemo memo

Gold Member
The only thing I'm defending is my reading comprehension. I just can't believe so many people read the exact same quote and came to the opposite conclusion. It's unreal.
What do you think they meant when they said “We believe in generations” and Cerny talk before that. Not cross-gen games surely.

Skifi28

What do you think they meant when they said “We believe in generations” and Cerny talk before that. Not cross-gen games surely.
I believe somebody replied to you and was nice enough to include the entire quote. Read it and tell me where it says anything about PS5 only games.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It depends really for me. Launching next gen only will mean much lower lauinch sales, but consistent sales, probably for the whole gen if its a good game, as more and more popeple buy next gen consoles over the coming years.
You would think with first party games that launch sales shouldnt be that important.
That's a great point, makes more sense and provides more context to the "BETTAR GRAFICS OR GTFO!!!" comments on here, lol.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
That’s not the point here pal.

They deceived people into thinking that these new games would be PS5 only, and only possible on said PS5. If you’re all good with that kind of deceitful messaging to have you as a willing customer then so be it.
They announced that the God of War Sequel would be PS5 only?

quest

Not Banned from OT
The only thing I'm defending is my reading comprehension. I just can't believe so many people read the exact same quote and came to the opposite conclusion. It's unreal.
You must have a short memory. It was the Sony side with the daily concern threads of crossgen and posting every negative crossgen story like clock work each morning summer 2020.

Last edited:

LiquidRex

The problem I have with Sony here is they just allowed people to assume GT7 and Ragnarok would be PS5 exclusive, when they knew from the start of development they were working on both generations... What was the reason for them not to clarify from the very start. 🤔🤷‍♂️

e&e

Banned
If you were around last year and said the same thing then I give kudos to you! (And you should find your old post and post it here) Otherwise you flipped your card to defense mode!
The problem I have with Sony here is they just allowed people to assume GT7 and Ragnarok would be PS5 exclusive, when they knew from the start of development they were working on both generations... What was the reason for them not to clarify from the very start.
🤔
🤷‍♂️
This is what the defense force nuts need to come in and try to explain! Why did they wait?

Last edited:

Stuart360

True.

but a different GOW game is out of the window..

so yay stupid let me go through this weird space between walls and loads of weird loading climbs are here to stay 🤣
True lol, but things like that are not always just to hide loading.

I get the sense that a lot of people think when cross gen phase dies and we get proper next gen games, they will all look like the UE5 demo, well they wont.
Hell i wouldnt be surprised if by the end of this gen, the PS5 patched TLOU2 is in the top 20 best looking PS5 games of the gen, maybe even Top 10 lol.

Looking at Horizon , this is how GOW2 is going to look.

Why is everyone acting like these games look like PS4 games? Even feel like PS4 games?

All their experimental games are PS5 exclusive. Im not quite sure what GT7 needs to be exclusive for? SSD teleportation portals? 120fps and raytracing modes. That is believing in generations.

Last edited:

Skifi28

You must have a short memory. It was the Sony side with the daily concern threads of crossgen and posting every negative crossgen story like clock work each morning.
You're talking about fanboys making console war threads. Both sides will continue to do so, what about it? I'm talking about the actual quote from Jimbo that is taken out of context.

Last edited:

sainraja

This really shouldn't surprise anyone as this happens every generation - people don't move to the next generation of consoles right away and with COVID being a factor, it is not unreasonable to think that the usual transition period for people upgrading could be longer than usual; so it only makes sense to increase their support. Sony has usually continued to support the previous alongside their new console and they definitely continue to manufacture the old console quite a bit longer than anyone expects. This is ammo only for those who like to do some 'console warring' which is a shame.

longdi

Banned
What should we think about this quote from herman?

how long will jimbo want to support that 110m ps4 owners? 🙀

How does PS4 factor into PlayStation Studios’ development vision? Is it still a focus internally for future game development?

Hermen: It very much is. You can’t build a community of over 110 million PS4 owners and then just walk away from it, right? I think that’d be bad news for fans of PS4, and frankly not very good business.

hemo memo

Gold Member
"We have always said that we believe in generations," Ryan said. "We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.

"We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5.
Funny indeed.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
If GT7 is going to be cross gen, new gen arrives when PS5 Pro came out. Anyone believe that Polyphony delivers on time or something?

yurinka

Hermen dropped a lot of new info, and seems to make sense:
-GoW and GT7 crossgen to support their >100M userbase
-Horizon targeting Holidays (will specify release date when ready) and GoW delayed to 2022, they are focusing on quality and dev safety over meeting release dates
-Bend confirmed to be working on a new IP, that will use stuff they made for/learnt from Days Gone
-They will make crossgen but also continue releasing PS5 only games like Ratchet or Returnal
-He's very happy with Returnal
-They are growing their internal teams and evaluating acquisitionss
-Japanese development will continue being important for them: in addition to Polyphony and Team Asobi they want to continue mantaining and creating relationships with external Japanese development teams
-They will make games of all types: big and small, sequels and new IP, single player and multiplayer. But narrative single player games will continue being very important for them.
-Mentions again that PlayStation Studios (so 1st and 2nd party) have over 25 games under development, almost half of them new IPs.
-Old PC ports to grow by reaching new fans, but they will focus on keeping their new games at launch only on PS.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looking at Horizon , this is how GOW2 is going to look.

Why is everyone acting like these games look like PS4 games? Even feel like PS4 games?

All their experimental games are PS5 exclusive. Im not quite sure what GT7 needs to be exclusive for? SSD teleportation portals? 120fps and raytracing modes. That is believing in generations.

Because the theory built on MS being supportive of cross gen games is that it leads to games being made for lowest common denominator.

So in this case it applies to PS5 too. Horizon 2, Ragnarok and GT7 will be dumbed down so it can run on 2013 PS4s.

Last edited:
I personally thought those games were coming in 2022 lol.

I also still dont believe Horizon launches this year, hope they prove me wrong but i think it kicks next year off for them.

Aside from stuff thats already announced by all 3 big companies, I dont expect any major surprises 🤷🏾‍♂️.
i think people get their hopes up reading all the bullshit by these "insiders" lol

LostDonkey

The problem I have with Sony here is they just allowed people to assume GT7 and Ragnarok would be PS5 exclusive, when they knew from the start of development they were working on both generations... What was the reason for them not to clarify from the very start. 🤔🤷‍♂️

To sell consoles duh

longdi

Banned
i wonder if mark cerny and developers are disappointed? 🙀

the ps5 was designed to cut down on mundane hdd partitioning, and was supposed to get a game up in a month or the fastest devtime in a ps.

donix2010

Neo Member
“We believe in generations”. lmao. I bet that there would more 1st party cross generation titles in the future.

Again, while I got no issue with the cross-gen personally, I do have to hold the media accountable for just ignoring how they eviscerated Microsoft for openly supporting cross-gen a whiles back. I also kinda have to hold Sony accountable for coyly playing into the whole cross-gen stuff last summer (albeit subtly) when they knew even then that quite a few of their 1P content (including arguably their biggest titles aside R&C (Demon's Souls is more niche, same for Returnal)) was also going to be cross-gen.

That said, this all does show to me that Sony has better timing when bringing out these type of announcements; they're always nested between otherwise strong moments for the brand such as this news coming off quietly after the big strong showing for Forbidden West. Microsoft poorly timed their cross-gen support statement following a May event that had a lot of cool games shown but extremely limited actual gameplay (and none running on a Series X), also following confirmation Halo Infinite was itself cross-gen (and then had its lukewarm showing in July).

Top Bottom