• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport |OT| Step on the GaaS

clarky

Banned
Agreed. Excellent games have been released that were developed during COVID. I refuse to give a pass for that reason.
Who's asking for a pass?

Pretty much every big game released in the last few years has been delayed due to covid. This should have been delayed longer.

Edit: I was just wondering were the last 6 years have gone. Halo and Covid can claim a bit of dev time but neither are an excuse for releasing a content starved buggy mess.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

Im more than happy with the amount of content so far. I think with FM7 it was almost too many cups in the singleplayer. I dont think I went back to most of them after completing. Maybe they looked for what people spent time on in FM7, I dont know. But I disagree with the complaints about lack of content. Whats there is good for now, and more will come.

Same thing with the career; I like the way you have to practise. I didnt know about all of these named segments in the tracks, and its a lot of fun to get better at it.

The issue with multiple copies of one car and different builds - cant that be solved with different profiles you can load in? Like in Armored Core. The Car XP doesnt disappear when you respec.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Im more than happy with the amount of content so far. I think with FM7 it was almost too many cups in the singleplayer. I dont think I went back to most of them after completing. Maybe they looked for what people spent time on in FM7, I dont know. But I disagree with the complaints about lack of content. Whats there is good for now, and more will come.

25 cups +1 introduction cup + 1 weekly cup is not enough. I would be okay with only 25 cups if they've planned for more than 1 lazy cup a week for the next month. It's game as a service with no service planned in the first 30+ days.

Same thing with the career; I like the way you have to practise. I didnt know about all of these named segments in the tracks, and its a lot of fun to get better at it.

Practice session is a good addition, I never skip it. But some people do skip it and there should an option to skip it by default every single time to avoid extra loading times.

The issue with multiple copies of one car and different builds - cant that be solved with different profiles you can load in? Like in Armored Core. The Car XP doesnt disappear when you respec.

No, the solution is simple and they figured it out years and years ago. You should be leveling up your affiliation with the car manufacturer, not individual car.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but sadly Motorsport is all Turn 10 does and this is what we got unless most of the team went on vacation for 3 years

I think you might just have hit the nail on the head with the vacation comment. It used to be T10 released a game every two years, so they were to the burner every day to hit a deadline that was never far away. With the new game they were basically given a "make your own schedule" timeline, presumably in the hopes they would build and release their best work. They did not. No fire was lit under their asses, so they took it easy, farted around with the Forzatech engine, assisted other studios on occasion, and put together the trailer they showed three years ago to announce the game. That trailer, despite only showing a few seconds of racing, was 100% fakery. People in a room with a few cars and a few cuts to the cars going around the Corkscrew at Laguna showcasing visuals that are nothing like the finished game.

I think that full development for this game didn't really get started until after that first trailer 3 years ago. This game is not six years of work from the same studio that was pumping out a decent (at worst) game every two. Tons of bugs, missing modes like drift, tiny track count (still missing Kaido), an unusable livery editor, recycled and awful looking Forza aero wings, canards that are placed however they fit, three foot long front splitters, and roll cages that would never pass tech, the same mediocre replay system and photo mode as before, recycled car models with the same errors dating back over a decade, still mediocre glossy plastic and glass effects (still worse than in FM4 somehow), still tons of complaints I hear from longtime fans of the series of issues that were fixed in past releases but have now reappeared. They need to get this game fixed fast, and Xbox needs to start cracking the whip on their studios.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I really don't understand the grid thing I'm single player.

Just have fucking qualifying and let that decide your grid position. Then you can change difficulty for bonuses like horizon.

It's stupid being able to buy your way to the front.

Yeah, it's very game'y but honestly just whatever. What's pissing me off is that I can't have realistic damage ON and rewind ON at the same time. I only have few minutes here and there to play and sometimes I need to pause the race, go do shit and when I'm back I might be 'rusty', get off track and my entire race is fucked, so I need that rewind to keep me playing. But I'd love to have more realistic experience with penalties and damage... Why is it so restrictive, it never was the case in the past.

Orbital2060

Ive never been invested enough to need multiple copies of a car, but I agree on it being related to the car manufacturer. That sounds logical. I hope something like that is implemented, for those who care about it.

The 25 cups in there now is more than enough for me. Time will tell with the weekly cup and other updates. But for me personally that means I can focus on online racing, which is what Im most interested in doing. I guess people have different things they want to do with the game. Career + free play + rivals + online racing = sum total more than enough for me to not spend my time complaining. Im enjoying the game (handling model esp.) too much to want to ruin my time with it.

Btw I stood in line to pick up FM4 at a midnight launch; I was super excited for the game and played it a lot.

Reactions: Isa
I really don't understand the grid thing I'm single player.

Just have fucking qualifying and let that decide your grid position. Then you can change difficulty for bonuses like horizon.

It's stupid being able to buy your way to the front.

Bare minimum, lapping for grid position should have been optional. Let people who can't drive for shit use the payment as another assist and let the rest of us rally for position using skill. They say they were focused more on motorsport but outside penalties I'm not seeing much evidence of it.

Yeah, it's very game'y but honestly just whatever. What's pissing me off is that I can't have realistic damage ON and rewind ON at the same time. I only have few minutes here and there to play and sometimes I need to pause the race, go do shit and when I'm back I might be 'rusty', get off track and my entire race is fucked, so I need that rewind to keep me playing. But I'd love to have more realistic experience with penalties and damage... Why is it so restrictive, it never was the case in the past.

It seems this game exhibits a lot of one step forward, one step back issues that you see with a game that wasn't properly play tested before it was kicked out the door to meet deadlines. In the past it made sense with a 2 year deadline but in 6 this game is almost hilarious in how rough around the edges it appears to be.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
still mediocre glossy plastic and glass effects (still worse than in FM4 somehow), still tons of complaints I hear from longtime fans of the series of issues that were fixed in past releases but have now reappeared.
I agree with almost everything you say but not with this. They have improved the glass shaders and they look incredible. It looks 10x times better in the final game than in the trailers they showed.

Remember the trailer with the shitty light shaders and the benz that everybody mocked?
forza-motorsport-63d262329f313.jpg

Forza-Motorsport-4-10-2023-14-30-56.jpg

Also on other models they look great now
Forza-Motorsport-4-10-2023-15-33-38.png

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
It seems this game exhibits a lot of one step forward, one step back issues that you see with a game that wasn't properly play tested before it was kicked out the door to meet deadlines. In the past it made sense with a 2 year deadline but in 6 this game is almost hilarious in how rough around the edges it appears to be.

Some of the stuff is really baffling and could be fixed in one afternoon by 1 coder, 1 UI/UX designer and one tester. Seriously, no joke.

clarky

Banned
25 cups +1 introduction cup + 1 weekly cup is not enough. I would be okay with only 25 cups if they've planned for more than 1 lazy cup a week for the next month. It's game as a service with no service planned in the first 30+ days.
Yup. One cup a week means i'm playing for a couple of hours then im off back to some other game.

Online is good but if that's also just one new cup a week then it will get old real fast. A game like this need divisions, leagues, global leaderboards, challenges etc.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
You havent even played the game, and yet here you are doing nothing but complaining and posting clickbait videos.

Sadly, this is not clickbait. Or maybe it's a bait but once you there, it's nothing but facts.

Just look at that post of already known issues that are in the game from official forums:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I'm sure I've got damage on with rewind. But I can't find the setting now.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Dude... look at this... and he's not even making comparisons with GT. It's mainly with the previous games and what it's missing or just plain fucked in the new entry

And people wonder why some are upset with this game, its a joke this is what we have gotten

You havent even played the game, and yet here you are doing nothing but complaining and posting clickbait videos.
Far from clickbait video as all of these are known issues and it really looks like this game had next to no quality assurance testing

People saying thanks for beta testing are spot on, this game isn't finished and needed more time to bake, a common occurrence from MS recently

Orbital2060

And people wonder why some are upset with this game, its a joke this is what we have gotten

Far from clickbait video as all of these are known issues and it really looks like this game had next to no quality assurance testing

People saying thanks for beta testing are spot on, this game isn't finished and needed more time to bake, a common occurrence from MS recently
Are these PC issues? Its been working pretty well on console. Replays seem fucked, or at least the ones I tried to load up.

Online has been solid.

Including Microsoft in this is a narrative I dont want to get involved in. Sometimes people see things differently. Apart from Redfall, I dont see what youre trying to say.

RespawnX

Video clearly addresses the game's issues, which can be weighted differently but not ignored. Above all, you can tell from every end of the game that it was overhauled and rebooted during development. I love the driving experience and think it's the best driving experience I've ever had in a game. I also like the idea of the upgrade system, but everything else is just hilarious.

You are supposed to play forever to level up your cars, no depth. How about exp bonuses for each car leveled to 50? Bonuses for good driving? Anything that doesn't make leveling cars just a time sink?

The whole penalty system in multiplayer is simply useless, nothing works here. No drivatars in private lobbies, many tracks lack the reverse option and so on.

World woulnd't have a problem if they communicated the game as an early access. It's nothing more than an glimpse of what the came should become.

Forza Motorsport 7 also had a lot of problems at launch. It took forever for the developers to fix the game. By the turn of events, most players had left and the game was quickly discontinued. I see the same sort of risk once again. It's a shame, considering that they have often shown that they can do better. Nobody expected a perfect game, and damn it, driving has never been so fun. But these are just the basics, not what the reboot of one of the biggest racing series should deliver.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Just had a race on Catalunya. Light drizzle in qualifying. Downpour by the time the race started and it looked incredible. Then about 70% through the race the rain stopped and the sun came out. Game looks and plays phenomenal. I haven't played on PC and since its locked to the same frame rate, I probably won't. Sucks that people are having issues on PC, though. Game has run perfectly on Series X. I can also see why some would have issue with the amount of cups or events in the game but at least from the events I have seen, they're all much longer than events in past Forza games. Like a lot of comparisons to FM4 and sure it has less than that game but a lot of those events in the ten year career mode has one race or two heats on the same track IIRC.

Not saying some of the complaints aren't valid but they mostly all seem so superficial. The important things, the driving and the AI and the sound, are all top notch.

clarky

Banned
Just had a race on Catalunya. Light drizzle in qualifying. Downpour by the time the race started and it looked incredible. Then about 70% through the race the rain stopped and the sun came out. Game looks and plays phenomenal. I haven't played on PC and since its locked to the same frame rate, I probably won't. Sucks that people are having issues on PC, though. Game has run perfectly on Series X. I can also see why some would have issue with the amount of cups or events in the game but at least from the events I have seen, they're all much longer than events in past Forza games. Like a lot of comparisons to FM4 and sure it has less than that game but a lot of those events in the ten year career mode has one race or two heats on the same track IIRC.

Not saying some of the complaints aren't valid but they mostly all seem so superficial. The important things, the driving and the AI and the sound, are all top notch.
Yes when it works, its superb. Super frustrating that everything else is below par.

I'll be sticking with it as I love the online aspect. Hopefully the patches come thick and fast.

Can't say I agree on the AI, its barely any better than the previous entries. Better than GT7 but that's hardly an accolade.

RespawnX

This may have a little to do with personal demands. But the AI is not top notch, I don't even know if it's not worse than before. It sometimes behaves very strangely, drives much stricter ideal line and accidents happen much more "unnatural". In addition, scaling is very blatant, at level 4 I win every race by a huge margin, level 5 varies greatly from track to track and level 6 already seems like endgame to me. But maybe I'm just a little out of practice.

After the rampage I had in multiplayer, I'll keep my distance for now. They should first fix their bugs in the collision checks. This is currently not an alternative to AI for me. And the wave of casual players is still to come, as we are currently racing against people who tend to be more interested in racing and fairness.

You're right about the events, of course. They are longer, but the variety is much smaller. Forza Motorsport 7 had a flexible and interesting approach to the career. Now we have a strictly linear system that throws a new level 1 car at you every championship, which you have to race strictly for 5 races, and then probably never touch it again. Many race classes aren't touched at all, it just feels like a lot of the career is missing. And after 10 hours I've already completed 1/5 of the career. How are they going to keep me entertained as a single player player?

Sorry, this game is in an early access state. You can certainly talk yourself into something else. It some very good ideas and approaches and a solid foundation, but a good part of the game is missing. And some things they have already developed in the wrong direction from the beginning. By the way, whats up with this anti-family DLC/VIP system, please?

DanielG165

Are there race weekends here? As in, can I practice on a Friday, do qualifying laps on a Saturday, and then race on Sunday ala ACC?

I can't get over how Microsoft keeps allowing their biggest games to be in this state at all.

clarky

Banned
I can't get over how Microsoft keeps allowing their biggest games to be in this state at all.
Yep dont get it myself either.

Regardless of your stance on Starfield that launched in a pretty good shape after some healthy delays. Hifi rush was polished to with an inch of its life so they can do it.

Pushing out Redfall and to a certain extent this do nothing but hurt the brand. No first party releases already did the damage you cant make amends by releasing unfinished products Nobody wants that.

6 more months and this would have landed so much better. Asis its passable, For a tentpole release that just not good enough.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

I managed to hold on to the S rating for 5 races, and got an achievement for doing so. I wonder how long it takes to get back up the ladder once you rank down, cos I had a few races after that where I got rammed several times and ended up ramming into others because of it. Got one serious penalty for hitting a car from behind while braking down into a hairpin, the only penalty I know I committed. That hit the rating from S down to an A, also more than halving my skill from 2500 to 1100. I like the rating system though, its a game of its own to see how much you can push the rules. And keep players in check. But it doesnt seem like most people give a shit. The last race I did 75 % of the drivers had penalties and the crash icon, by the end of the race. Its a lot of fun, though. Hilarious and challenging, at the same time.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Another thing that I wish they would change/give user an option!

I don't game on Xbox. I don't have any friends there. I'm racing against random nobodies with stupid gamer tags and it's just so immersion breaking. I rather have a real life names (not necessary names of real drivers, just real names) with country of origin flag next to it. That way I can be like, hey, I know John Doe from that other cup, that Brit was fast, got to watch out for him. But nope, I'm racing against Penetrator69XXX_LOL that I won't meet again and I fucking hate it.

Orbital2060

I don't game on Xbox. I don't have any friends there. I'm racing against random nobodies with stupid gamer tags and it's just so immersion breaking. I rather have a real life names (not necessary names of real drivers, just real names) with country of origin flag next to it. That way I can be like, hey, I know John Doe from that other cup, that Brit was fast, got to watch out for him. But nope, I'm racing against Penetrator69XXX_LOL that I won't meet again and I fucking hate it.
^cringe

Porticus

You are so right,

The drivatar are so cringe, in GT and the racing sims on PC they try to give the player a professional feeling and thats why nicknames are not allowed anymore.

But Forza is the epitome of the americanization, so cringeness in every corner, from the intro to the long and boring introduction/voiceover, useless videos pre/post race, stupid dances, simply cringy AF.

Doesn't take racing as a serious thing like others, but simply an entertainment.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
On a more positive note, I just had an amazing race on Maple Valley. Practice session started early in the morning and it was super dark. Then the race started in the morning with fog that actually looked like real-life fog and obscured part of the track hugely reducing visibility. Toward the middle of the race the fog went away and at the very end sun came out with beautiful blue sky.

It was great.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
So basically you guys who think it’s a bad game are playing the pc version? I haven’t installed it on my pc yet because it’s ridiculously big… but it’s been nothing but great on console for me. 🤷‍♂️

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So basically you guys who think it’s a bad game are playing the pc version? I haven’t installed it on my pc yet because it’s ridiculously big… but it’s been nothing but great on console for me. 🤷‍♂️
Its not a bad game but after spending a decent amount of time with it on a Series X and a 4090 PC the only real thing I feel I am missing on console version is ultrawide

After some decent tweaks I can push my framerate 120+ but it still feels very good on console and honestly find myself playing it there more than my PC

Some things I like about this game: #1 we don't have to start EVERY race in last place and play a game of catch up. Gt7 its immersion killing because you see the SAME PATTERN of cars along the track while you try to catch them: 3 cars in the lead, a big gap, then the rest of the pack .. every race.

#2- practice laps before races. Again it's so strange this isn't in GT7

#3 More types of raves

Things I don't like: #1 There's NO content in this game. Making us wait to play the second series of race is rediculous! Screw you GaaS and Online only bullshit Turn 10! We only can play 2-3 hours of Career mode then we have to wait 5 days ..what kind of BS is that?

#2 replay mode isn't very good

#3 the rushed nature of the game. This game needed 6 months more at least.
#1 is the reason I just cannot keep playing GT7. It does so many things so well but the whole "catch the leader" shit is just awful because it feels like you aren't really racing the AI, you're racing the clock to make up a handicap. My number one wish for GT8 is that they get rid of the catch up bullshit and give us proper grid starts.

Senua

Gold Member
Nah, the performance isn't the best but it's the game itself I have the real issues with

zephiross

So tried the game for a little bit at work during lunch break,

Performance is really abysmal on PC ( work PC, 3070, 3700x 3440x1440 screen), any setting change cause the game to really struggle until a restart.

Also can't the talking lady just shut the fuck up ? damn I've played for 30 mins, which 15 of those were listening to an unskipable horrible voice. Ma'am, i'll let you know this is my 12th forza game, I know how this works better than you do.

EDIT: The New-Zealand trick works on PC for those wondering

Last edited:
Top Bottom