• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport |OT| Step on the GaaS

djjinx2

Anyone else been playing Rivals?

Superb gameplay loop like crack.

Nordschleife looks and plays great, sense of speed still gets the feels like Driveclub!

Senua

T10 still using RTGI, diffuse RT reflections and higher quality AO in marketing shots.

GGt4-Kfa-WUAApj-6-1.jpg

GGt4-LPSXQAAGf-G-1.jpg

SoloCamo

Have they fixed a lot of issues by now? I'm a huge Forza fan (bought the original on release day for the OG Xbox). I tried it for a few weeks at launch and it just didn't grab me unfortunately, mostly due to bad drivers (expected) ruining my safety score (not expected when it was their clear error). Rebar also would crash this game despite being solid for me in any other title (and no, it's not OC related).

Are there even enough players online to find a match in a relative short time? Forza Horizon fills the old itch I had with the Project Gotham Racing games (PGR2 is still the best, fight me) but I like proper racing with good drivers..

Last edited:

Senua

Every dev does this. Polyphony do as well as many others
And they all deserve to be called out on it.

Interestingly RTGI is already in the game among other enhancements, they have just been disabled and can be enabled through gamefiles

1710094227899-png.1335933

Last edited:

Skifi28

After 60 hours, I think I'm finally done with the game. I've tried and tried to get past the negatives to focus on the gameplay which is decent, but in the end there's no getting past the actual game that is a f2p MMO design-wise. I feel like I've barely played it and I haven't even driven 20% of the car list, certainly not the cars i want, but I'm getting nowhere after so many hours. It just ends up being a waste of time of just grinding for the sake of grinding.

• The time limited events are really getting old, the game lacks content and they add it for a couple of weeks only to remove it later. Worse design decision ever.

• If you don't have the VIP pass, it's just impossible to make money to buy the cars you like. I can barely afford to buy the cars needed for the new events. People whined endlessly about the mtx in GT7, but the game's economy was not designed around them and you could make tons of money in many ways. Here the game punishes you for playing regularly, I just don't feel ike grinding for 10 hours to buy a couple of cars.

• The penalties in the single player were bad at launch and they only made them stricter with the last update. You have to start from waaay in the back to make what little money you can while the AI tries to kill you as you make your way to the front, while you get all the peanlties as they crash into you or brake in the middle of the racing line. The penalty system should have been reserved for the MP only, it only adds frustration in the SP.

• The few cars and tracks they add in every update are basically Forza 7 content they just withheld at launch to add later to keep drip feeding us, there's nothing to look forward to. "From the ground up." Only the car pass gets some actual new cars.

On the positives side, at least you can now skip the practice so there's that....

Last edited:

SoloCamo

After 60 hours, I think I'm finally done with the game. I've tried and tried to get past the negatives to focus on the gameplay which is decent, but in the end there's no getting past the actual game that is a f2p MMO design-wise. I feel like I've barely played it and I certainly haven't even driven 20% of the car list, certainly not the cars i want, but I'm getting nowhere after so many hours. It just ends up being a waste of time of just grinding for the sake of grinding.

• The time limited events are really getting old, the game lacks content and they add it for a couple of weeks only to remove it later. Worse design decision ever.

• If you don't have the VIP pass, it's just impossible to make money to buy the cars you like. I can barely afford to buy the cars needed for the new events. People whined endlessly about the mtx in GT7, but the game's economy was not designed around them and you could make tons of money in many ways. Here the game punishes you for playing regularly, I just don't feel ike grinding for 10 hours to buy a couple of cars.

• The penalties in the single player were bad at launch and they only made them stricter with the last update. You have to start from waaay in the back to make what little money you can while the AI tries to kill you as you make your way to the front, while you get all the peanlties as they crash into you or brake in the middle of the racing line. The penalty system should have been reserved for the MP only, it only adds frustration in the SP.

• The few cars and tracks they add in every update are basically Forza 7 content they just withheld at launch to add later to keep drip feeding us, there's nothing to look forward to. "From the ground up." Only the car pass gets some actual new cars.

On the positives side, at least you can now skip the practice so there's that....

Sad to hear it. I'm a huge Forza fan and was so hyped for this only to be beyond let down. I try it every now and then thinking to myself that by now it's at least got to be somewhat fun, but it just doesn't happen... What an epic mistake on their end to release this and taint such a good series.

clarky

Gold Member
After 60 hours, I think I'm finally done with the game. I've tried and tried to get past the negatives to focus on the gameplay which is decent, but in the end there's no getting past the actual game that is a f2p MMO design-wise. I feel like I've barely played it and I haven't even driven 20% of the car list, certainly not the cars i want, but I'm getting nowhere after so many hours. It just ends up being a waste of time of just grinding for the sake of grinding.

As a big Forza fan, I uninstalled the game around month ago, im on PC. Easily the worst Forza by quite some margin.

Weird to see complaints about grinding. I never had any issue with the amount of money I had. A far cry from what the FH series does, which is a stupid amount of money and cars for doing nothing, but I bought and races tons of cars.

Wizz-Art

Brands Hatch is released with the latest update, I'm still enjoying the game a lot because the handling feels amazing playing with a controller. I'm mostly in rivals mode which is genuinely addicting. It's awesome that they keep adding content and improving the game. GaaS done the right way!

Skifi28

Brands Hatch is released with the latest update, I'm still enjoying the game a lot because the handling feels amazing playing with a controller. I'm mostly in rivals mode which is genuinely addicting. It's awesome that they keep adding content and improving the game. GaaS done the right way!
If only they were also not removing the content they added, but gotta drive engagement by giving you a limited time window to play. This is truly mobile game design on a full priced release, I would not call it "Gaas done right".

Weird to see complaints about grinding. I never had any issue with the amount of money I had. A far cry from what the FH series does, which is a stupid amount of money and cars for doing nothing, but I bought and races tons of cars.
Do you have the VIP pass? If not, races generally award 10-15k with events consisting of 4 races. Unless you do lots of extra grinding (or have the VIP pass) an event barely gives you enough money to buy a single car that is required for the next event repeating the process. The amount of money you earn does not change as you progress through the game like most other CarPGs even after many, many hours. I make the same 10-15k per race at 60 hours like I did when I first started the game. There is no way to afford the cars I want while also buying the cars needed to progress through the SP/DLC events without tons of grinding, but gridning the same events you've already completed barely gives you any money like I said above. Image grinding for a 300k car 10k at a time.

Truly
GaaS done the right way!

Last edited:
Nah, no VIP pass but that’s not my experience at all. Get tons of money from events and bought any car I wanted. That being said, every racer has a grind. Maybe it should be like GT7 and offer you in game credit MTX because of the grind?

nemiroff

Gold Member
Played for the first time in ages today (PC) and ended up having a surprisingly good time! Looked pretty damn amazing as well racing in a stormy atmosphere with sunny areas.

Last edited:

Bond007

I was excited for this and that hype was killed by the pre-release talk of grindy nature.
For a racing game its unacceptable. Shame it sucked for me

Skifi28

Nah, no VIP pass but that’s not my experience at all. Get tons of money from events and bought any car I wanted. That being said, every racer has a grind. Maybe it should be like GT7 and offer you in game credit MTX because of the grind?
Sounds like you haven't played GT7 at all. The MTX in the game is useless as it gives you very little money. Meanwhile you can earn millions and tons of cars in-game for doing very little. That would have actually been a great model for Forza.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If not, races generally award 10-15k with events consisting of 4 races. Unless you do lots of extra grinding (or have the VIP pass) an event barely gives you enough money to buy a single car that is required for the next event repeating the process.
That's been my experience as well. Still really enjoying the game but I play it casually. Haven't hit a hard stop yet on grinding but I always have just enough for the next car. I assumed it was designed for people to also play online a bunch, but I just play on my own.

clarky

Gold Member
Played for the first time in ages today (PC) and ended up having a surprisingly good time! Looked pretty damn amazing as well racing in a stormy atmosphere with sunny areas.
How was the performance in online? I uninstalled ages ago because it was fucking terrible

Wizz-Art

If only they were also not removing the content they added, but gotta drive engagement by giving you a limited time window to play. This is truly mobile game design on a full priced release, I would not call it "Gaas done right".
For me there's nothing removed, only steadily added. They add cars and they add tracks. But then again, I'm mostly in rivals mode and sometimes in mp.

I own every single car in the game, in fact I owned them all just a couple of days after the games release and still have millions in my game account. As a matter of fact, Forza is way more generous with credits than any other game of it's kind and it drives better too.

Loope

As a big Forza fan, I uninstalled the game around month ago, im on PC. Easily the worst Forza by quite some margin.
Was thinking of getting this, i guess i will stay put for now. Is there any other Forza motorsport on PC worthwhile?

xrnzaaas

For me there's nothing removed, only steadily added. They add cars and they add tracks. But then again, I'm mostly in rivals mode and sometimes in mp.

I own every single car in the game, in fact I owned them all just a couple of days after the games release and still have millions in my game account. As a matter of fact, Forza is way more generous with credits than any other game of it's kind and it drives better too.
If you're completely new to the series I could understand that. If you're a returning FM player there's no excuse - the content from previous games is being taken away and then readded while making a big deal out of it. Plus the devs don't even bother fixing or improving that old content for the new game (recent example - Daytona).

Wizz-Art

If you're completely new to the series I could understand that. If you're a returning FM player there's no excuse - the content from previous games is being taken away and then readded while making a big deal out of it. Plus the devs don't even bother fixing or improving that old content for the new game (recent example - Daytona).

I'm a Forza veteran playing since the release of FM2 on Xbox360. I bought the ultimate edition like I always do with the Forza games and I got my monies worth, it just feels amazing to play. They add content all the time which keeps me coming back for more. This is the latest Forza on a new generation of consoles. Like 5 on the One before which had less content than 4 on the 360. So it's not something new or unprecedented. At least they add tracks and will support the game the whole generation which with 5 wasn't the case.

xrnzaaas

I'm a Forza veteran playing since the release of FM2 on Xbox360. I bought the ultimate edition like I always do with the Forza games and I got my monies worth, it just feels amazing to play. They add content all the time which keeps me coming back for more. This is the latest Forza on a new generation of consoles. Like 5 on the One before which had less content than 4 on the 360. So it's not something new or unprecedented. At least they add tracks and will support the game the whole generation which with 5 wasn't the case.
I'm the opposing camp in that case. Also playing since FM2 and for the first time I geninuely felt like I was scammed (I bought my copy, not playing through GP). The release state was horrible, couldn't even play for the first month because of the progression bug. And for the first time I also couldn't enjoy the career mode. Not because it was too repetetive, the content just isn't there and the timed events are a bullshit tactic to make people coming back.

xrnzaaas

You can always get a cheap XONE and buy a used disc version. The game didn't get any big addons so you have all the major content on disc. Plus FM has always pushed the hardware to the limits - played super smooth and looked extremely good for the teraflops available.

DanielG165

I reinstalled FM8 again a couple days ago, just to see if anything improved since launch. To give credit where it’s due, T10 did absolutely improve optimization and performance in the game. I could barely maintain 20fps when FM8 first released, but I was easily hitting 60fps sustained at 1440p high settings with auto RT and no DLSS, last night. And, yesterday’s update did see the studio shrinking the game’s file size down a decent amount. It’s still nonsensical how big this game is, but less space taken up is still a positive.

That aside… It’s still not that great of a game, overall, and feels so… Artificial. The cars for the most part feel great, the handling model here is quite nice. But, I don’t know, FM8 is the least feeling Motorsport in the entire series thus far. Everything feels rather sterile and lifeless, not having the same charm as its predecessors, even FM5. The exhaust and engine sounds are mostly early Grand Turismo levels of tinny and bland, and inaccurate; Horizon 5 dominates FM8 here. The career mode is laughable, with Turn 10 still believing that 4 laps in a race counts as a “long” race, and the events themselves are just bland, with the most fun one for me being the American muscle/pony car segment due to my personal love for those cars.

Ultimately, I uninstalled the game once more and likely won’t be coming back to it anytime soon. There would have to be a No Man’s Sky, Cyberpunk 2077 type of glow up for me to return, which I hope happens! As it stands, FM8 just feels like an unfinished version of FM7, which is honestly a damn good racer these days. I think I’m gonna stick to it for my Forza Motorsport fix, and keep playing ACC for my REAL racing sim experience. I’ve also been playing Automobilista 2 lately for something more lax, and it’s scratching an itch for me too, controller struggles aside.

Point being, until FM8 makes significant improvements, there are plenty of serious and casual racers out there to choose from.

Darsxx82

I have played again due to the last update. I wanted to try the latest added circuits and see if there were improvements and general polish in the visual apect.

I ended up very surprised for the better, it has improved more than expected and added some details. In XSX they have polished many things since the last time I played (2 and a half months). The RT mode (the one I use) now appears sharper or more defined. More than an average resolution improvement, maybe I think better TAA and they have increased the AF considerably. Also, now, the gamma adjustment has been tweaked and you no longer have the washed out look of the HDR release.

The reflections appear to have been reduced and/or adjusted?. They are no longer exaggerated and the asphalt no longer looks like a mirror. Now it shows more of the irregularities and water grooves. The nasty wiper bug with SSR reflections has been fixed. They have added a volumetric lighting effect of the car lights when you drive with an interior camera in the first person.

The replays are now something decent and polished. Graphic errors and Glitches are already anecdotes. Trees are no longer visible at LOD 0 on the face and the viewing distance LOD has been increased. No more fans in cone mode. They have adjusted the DOF and MB better and everything seems more fluid and better hiding the less successful details.
The recreation of the new circuits is well done. Nurb and Brand feel more pampered. Many errors and graphical glitches in car interiors have been fixed.

In general, the evolution and general polish of the game is quite decent. Which is still unfortunate. Its current state (in polish and content) is that it should have been at launch. And there are still things that are missed. Personally, ForzaVista mode is very sad, nothing like what this mode is in Forza Horizon 5.

We'll see how it evolves a year from now. I hope they decide to start offering fictitious circuits or at least recover some from previous editions (Prague, Rio, etc...). This would help the game not seem so "sterile" and uninspired. A change in the appearance and presentation of the menus would also be great.

Last edited:
Top Bottom