• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport | Review Thread

What's the average score Forza Motorsport will get on Metacritic?

• 95 - 100

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • 90 - 94

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • 85 - 89

Votes: 72 55.8%
  • 80 - 84

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • 75 - 79

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • 70 - 74

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • <70

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Seems to be six cups with five events each, plus a cup that changes over time. Wonder if that is weekly or monthly? I expected less after reading some people bitch about it. I’m sure past racers have had more events but these seem more fleshed out with more tracks per event and practices.

Senua

Looks like they took the criticisms of Forza Horizon progression to heart but then went too far the other way.
They just needed to keep things simple for career structure

GT7 should've just been GT4 single player with prettier graphics, new cars and better physics.

FM should've been FM4 with prettier graphics, new cars and better physics.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I’ve completed maybe six races and wasn’t awarded twenty three cars so yeah it’s way different than Horizon.
Well that and it sounds like you can't just buy a peel p50 and make it S tier within seconds. It seems like they want you to pick a car and really take the time to experience it from stock through multiple upgrades up to a badass machine, but haven't got the balance right and don't have the content in place to make it anything more than a mindless grind.

Senua

Oh, one more thing. It failed to detect my controller at first and I had to re-start the game. The intro cinematic etc. can't be skipped so I had to watch all that shit twice.

Amazing.
Hang in there, you have to do those forced and so much fun Forza introductory races now!!

quazy

Neo Member
Just played a few short races last night and had a blast. Always hated the old Forza physics as it cars handled way too twitchy but now it's great. I think multiplayer races will thus be much cleaner.
And graphics is good for me, at least on my LG OLED it looks good enough.

gt7 focused more on car details, Motorsport focused more on environment.
look closely at both and you’ll see it

GT7 focuses on environmental detail as well and I think it has the clear advantage with midday, evening and night-time races visually.

But it is true Forza has better trackside object detail in areas and, at times, environment lighting. But the car models look so matte and lacking of certain details compared to GT7 really hurts the game overall visually when comparing the two.

I'd say GT7 struck the better balance of car & environmental detail. Whereas Forza's balance leads to better-looking environments (in spots) and better-looking specific weather effects (rainy weather for example, particularly when in chase cam), but worst-looking car models.

That's what I thought too, at first, but on closer inspection, it's not necessarily the case. Even the environment in Forza does not look that much better (or better at all).

Having said that, I have noticed inconsistencies in Forza. So there are a few types of trees that look much better than what's in GT 7. But then there are trees like in the following image that do not look better, or the sideways, or the weird looking crowd in Forza (which are all part of the environment).

Here is another example.

MRs6MbY.jpg

I looked at some more footage between the two myself and IMO, Forza does have some distinct advantages over GT7 visually. You mentioned some trackside elements like the trees (in certain parts) and I'd agree; I'd also say that for those trackside elements the lighting and shading is a bit better in Forza. I actually think Forza has a great color palette, which is good because some of the previous games had a very "arcadey" color palette, so it seems the team went with a more naturalistic palette. There are times I'd even say Forza looks filmic.

However, when you said GT7 is more akin to a live sports racing broadcast, I can see it, as I think Forza is doing a bit more post-processing of some things like motion blur than GT7, even at similar framerates. It might also be using some type of grain filter, too. Maybe it's the combination of that along with having slightly higher luminesce but lower brightness, which is why Forza looks kind of "washed out" compared to GT7.

And obviously, the car models in Forza being inferior to GT7's in geometry density and use of texture materials doesn't help Forza, either. In fact I'd say the detail in Forza's backgrounds make the cars look unfinished, or from a last-gen game. At least, on the consoles.

Just played for a few hours. My impressions are

- an evolution, not revolution
- cars feel heavy compared to GT7, though I am playing with stock controller settings. Physics feel behind GT7.
- GT7 ahead on car models, FM still can’t figure out headlights and plastic trim. Wheels look horrendous in the upgrades menu.
- Career progression okay, I do enjoy the practice elements. Helps rank the car up.
-Drivartars are still dumb. Random braking, plough into you mid corner. Stick to you like glue and slow you down. Depending on your grid position and the AI behaviour in the first lap largely impacted my final position.
- Penalty system is hit and miss. Can cut a corner and overtake 4 cars without issue. Minor apex cut, and 1 sec penalty.
- Audio is fantastic, enjoying all the noises.
- Menu navigation is clunky at times. Want to simply restart a race? Need to confirm grid slot and fuel mix again. Just give me an option to restart the actual race.
-GT7 hud, telemetry and info during the race more useful. Wish I could change fuel ratios during racing instead of set fuel amount at the start of the race. This could be different in longer races.

Appreciate the insight! Can you give more info on the Car EX stuff? From what I remember reading, you earn parts for your car as you race with it, new parts are available at each level and you can use your EXP to choose what parts to buy, or not buy and and let that EXP accrue so you put it towards another set of part unlocks at another level reached.

Well, my questions are: are these level unlocks the only way to get the parts for your car? Is the EXP you gain locked to the specific car you are using, or can it be used among any 'Class' of car of that type you happen to have, or all cars in general? Can you install parts on a car if the parts are at a higher level than the car itself? Does the game have any shop for parts and do you purchase those parts with money or EXP? Can you only unlock cars when the game tells you to (through getting higher levels with cars in earlier races), or can you get them through other more traditional means (and can you pay with cash or have to pay with EXP)?

I'm asking because for whatever reason the Car EXP stuff was never fully clarified with me and I saw other comments around places like Reddit saying you have to reach Level 20 to "max out" your car, but all cars have up to Level 50 to reach. Are there any bonuses for going beyond the minimum Level needed to have all parts available for a car? Also how fast would you say it takes to level up a car? Some people were saying you just level up for each lap in a race, sometimes not even that. Does the levelling up even feel good or rewarding in that sense, when it comes about so frequently?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Damn you, Turn 10. You starved me to death over the last 6 years! I've bought your stupid game.

First impressions:

• Menu music is bad
  • Introduction copying Horizon is stupid
  • Game crashed before my first real race

Great.
I downloaded the Grid legends racing game on PS+ the other day and it has the same introductory races. I was like these are not races because you cant lose. Fucking the crew has the same thing. its so stupid to start off your game with zero challenge and what is essentially equivalent to an uncharted forced walking scene.

Porticus

I downloaded the Grid legends racing game on PS+ the other day and it has the same introductory races. I was like these are not races because you cant lose. Fucking the crew has the same thing. its so stupid to start off your game with zero challenge and what is essentially equivalent to an uncharted forced walking scene.

We are really living the retarded timeline of racing games.

Lets wait for Assetto Corsa 2.

GHG

We are really living the retarded timeline of racing games.

Lets wait for Assetto Corsa 2.

Le Man's Ultimate looks promising (if it's still releasing this year).

Also the updates to Automobilista 2 and iracing continue to be solid.

DJ12

but take a look at the full list its crazy

it’s not like these bugs just came up and you started on fixes, you actively decided to release the game with them and charge for “early beta test access”

my favourite
Graphics - AMD machines running the PC builds will perform the entire shader precompiling step at every launch. Faster machines should be done in a minute or so, but older machines can take several minutes
Amazing this game scored as well as it did. Damn that's a huge list.

Clearly phils fault, he's breeding a culture of release today fix tomorrow.

The game pass effect people aren't paying for this so who cares.

Sucks for those that are paying to alpha test this shit.

Why change the approach to upgrades on your vehicle? It wasn't broken in MSP 7 so why change now? Apparently it feels like hard-work just to get the upgrade you want

I like it, gives you more of a connection to your car. Also the levels progress super easy just by driving. Doesn’t seem like a big deal to me personally.

Reactions: Isa

GHG

The multiplayer actually looks pretty good so far, at least before the unwashed masses arrive.

• LOL

clarky

Gold Member
5Xlr2Z7.jpg

Did I get version from Wish, now my Subie doesn't have half of the car after fitting roll bar.
Thats happened to me more than a few times. Whilst i am enjoying the game and the actual driving is sublime, there are loads of visual bugs on PC. Whole stands disappearing, camera men 100ft in the air, the track glitching out etc.

Deffo pushed out of the door on PC. On the Plus side the performance is good for me and it looks fantastic at times.

Last edited:

Nemesisuuu

Thats happened to me more than a few times. Whilst i am enjoying the game and the actual driving is sublime, there are loads of visual bugs on PC. Whole stands disappearing, camera men 100ft in the air, the track glitching out etc.

Deffo pushed out of the door on PC. On the Plus side the performance is good for me and it looks fantastic at times.
I'm on XSX, it's all around buggy it seems. Otherwise the game is great, I really like Builders Cup so far.

clarky

Gold Member
I'm on XSX, it's all around buggy it seems. Otherwise the game is great, I really like Builders Cup so far.
Yeah, but like you say what's there is really good. Online from my limited play time seems to be the best part of the package so far. Few more builders cups tonight then i plan on hammering online all weekend.

Last edited:

Catphish

Welp, we're off to a shit start. I'll just paste the post I put on their forums...

i9 10900K (stock)
Nvidia 3080 10GB
32GB RAM
--------------------------------
What I've experienced with this game today is something I've never seen, in over 30 years of PC gaming.

After tinkering with settings (and realizing that I have to restart the game after every change for my settings to take effect (which is fking bonkers)), I finally got the game to benchmark at 60FPS on Ultra, 4K, with target refresh rate at 60-vsync, with all other settings at auto. It took me a couple of hours to reach this point, and I re-ran the benchmark several times to make sure it wasn't a one-off. After like 5 runs, it stayed at 60. Happy boy.

But then I started the Builder's Cup. Right off the bat, in practice, my FPS struggled to break 40. Incredulous, I backed out, went back to settings, ran the benchmark again, and sure as shit, it's struggling to reach 40 in the benchmark.
I changed nothing after getting 60 in the previous benchmark. This makes absolutely no sense.

Then, I dropped down to High, everything else the same, restarted the game... and my benchmark FPS actually went down to the low 30s. Completely nonsensical.

I'm holding out hope that the game will get a performance patch, as well as an updated driver set from Nvidia before official launch because, at this point, this game can kiss my entire ass.

Nemesisuuu

Yeah, but like you say what's there is really good. Online from my limited play time seems to be the best part of the package so far. Few more builders cups tonight then i plan on hammering online all weekend.
If Turn 10 keeps on building (pun intended) on this foundation, game has lot of potential. Now I just need new wheel to arrive, I'm curious how it handles on direct drive.

You can see how I slow down in disbelief. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Cars like to eat ass too, I guess. Who'd of thunkit?

I like it, gives you more of a connection to your car. Also the levels progress super easy just by driving. Doesn’t seem like a big deal to me personally.

Maybe you can answer some of the questions I provided earlier WRT the Car EXP system, then? I'm really curious to know how that works, before I potentially consider a cheap month GP sub to play it.

• LOL

nikos

Where can we see our driver/safety rating? I've done three races so far. Only place I can see it is if I open the Friends menu while in Featured Multiplayer.

RAIDEN1

Loving the game, almost everything about it

The one thing I think they made a mistake with is the AA solution.

It's garbage. That rearview mirror is horrendous. Image quality really suffered compared to 7.
7 has still got it though (meaning it still has the quality of a top-tier game after all these years..) and it is the only one I brought out of all of them....only because it was about to be de-listed for good.

nikos

I just had an insane multiplayer race. Heart was pumping the entire time.

Qualified P1, so you know what was coming, and it did. Got hit in turn 1 and knocked back to sixth place.

Towards the end of the first lap, I got spun out and knocked back to 11th place.

Decided my race wasn't going to end there. Ended up fighting my way through and passed the guy in P1 on the last corner. Rubbed him a bit because I was driving like a madman. I knew it was my fault and almost felt bad about it, but not after what happened earlier in the race. The game ended up giving me a 0.5s penalty for that but I managed to gap him by over 1S between the final corner and checkered flag.

I think the best thing this game has going for it right now is all of the systems it has in place. The penalty system feels fair, from what I've seen, the sector ratings are great, cars leveling up feels really nice, etc.

I could be playing any sim racing game instead but I'm honestly having more fun on this. Maybe because it's new, and it honestly feels nice to play a game that's more forgiving, but if multiplayer stays clean I think I will be playing it for a long time.

GHG

Gamermuscle's take (he said he'd give it a 6.5/10 if he had to rate it at the moment but that's predominantly due to the frustration with the 60fps cap in multiplayer on PC):

I'd suggest watching the video because he's pretty positive on most aspects overall and likes it better than GT7 (which incidentally he really didn't like).

Last edited:
Top Bottom