• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport | Review Thread

What's the average score Forza Motorsport will get on Metacritic?

• 95 - 100

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • 90 - 94

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • 85 - 89

Votes: 72 55.8%
  • 80 - 84

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • 75 - 79

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • 70 - 74

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • <70

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Direct wheel base force feedback seems like an afterthought in this game

Unless they somehow find a config that helps a lot on it but, not looking too promising.

Oh my days and the hits keep on coming.

Spencer is an afterthought at Xbox.

get-the-fuck-out-gtfo.gif

Last edited:

nikos

Direct wheel base force feedback seems like an afterthought in this game

Unless they somehow find a config that helps a lot on it but, not looking too promising.

I've got it feeling decent on a CSL DD. Still tweaking things but it feels better than I thought it would.

Reactions: GHG

supernova8

Banned
that was not mine voice. We have a voice narrator here at Gaming Instincts who reads the scripts, you could see the credits at the start of the video of who is responsible for what. I am the website owner, author and the video editor.
Ah ok, sorry I missed that bit.

supernova8

Banned
This turned out exactly like I thought it would. Too few tracks, recycled car models, grindy and limiting single player and a game they’ll finish after launch. First FM I skipped at launch. I’ll check it out after a few months and see what’s been added.
I keep seeing reviews that say it looks and sounds great but I've watched almost all of the video reviews (from outlets I've heard of) and I don't see/hear those great visuals/audio at all. Feel like I'm going insane or something. This is meant to be built from the ground up for Xbox Series and unchained from the shackles of last gen and yet it basicaaaaaally looks the same (or better/worse in some aspects) than Gran Turismo 7 - a cross-gen game.

Monad

Although visually and the career mode have disappointed me a bit even on PC with a RTX 4090 (not to mention how limited some things are still), I've had a great time in the multiplayer in a similar way to iRacing (saving the distances), people seem to be taking it seriously and they make pretty clean and competitive races, which seems to have been Turn10's main focus.

Now, as is becoming normal, it feels like an unfinished product and I think it will get some pretty bad reviews, but the multiplayer definitely has a lot of potential and I can see myself putting a lot of hours into it.

Reactions: GHG

jayj

Banned
I keep seeing reviews that say it looks and sounds great but I've watched almost all of the video reviews (from outlets I've heard of) and I don't see/hear those great visuals/audio at all. Feel like I'm going insane or something. This is meant to be built from the ground up for Xbox Series and unchained from the shackles of last gen and yet it basicaaaaaally looks the same (or better/worse in some aspects) than Gran Turismo 7 - a cross-gen game.
I feel like the critics just say what they're expected to say.

supernova8

Banned
I feel like the critics just say what they're expected to say.
Kinda feels like the blanket 8/8.5 out of 10 reviews FIFA always used to get before around FIFA 20 when people stopped giving EA a pass and the franchise dipped under 8/10 territory for the first time in a while and hasn't recovered since. Even FC 24 is stuck at 76 on Metacritic right now.

Not sure why you would treat them separately. The only real difference at the moment (other then really basic mods) is 30fps vs higher (depending on hardware, not always either).

Opencritic bundles everything together and that is a 86. PC Metacritic is 86, Xbox is 84. Seems like calling it a 85 game on aggregate seems reasonable.

For Forza it makes sense to bundle the scores together as well, as it has a RT 60fps mode.

It makes sense to treat them as two different platforms because they just are. Xbox is a dedicated home gaming console, closed box, purpose-built for gaming with a fixed spec. PC is a platform that can be customized to play games, open box, open-platform with constantly evolving spec options.

If you can only get 30 FPS on the console option but 100+ frames on the PC option with the right hardware, and it's a game with a competitive element, common sense assumption is that the PC version will review better, as it should. But that experience isn't applicable to the console side.

HZD
Playstation Lifestyle 100/100
Dualshockers 100/100
Playstation Official Magazine Australia 100/100
Playstation Universe 95/100
Playsense 95/100
etc

9gNZ1zn.gif

So we're counting any website with 'Play' in its title as PlayStation-leaning or PlayStation-biased? Lol. Play's only one of the most used words on the planet. How many conversations are regular people using 'Xbox' without meaning the console itself?

Cant wait for you to spam the next Sony exclusive review thread calling out all the reviewers artificially increasing the score. Especially after this thread made it obvious it happens more on that side of the fence.

Except it doesn't. Literally proved it comparing GOW:R critic reviews with Starfield's.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
A YouTuber I enjoy to watch from time to time called it a "A PLATFORM WITH POTENTIAL".

Well, fuck, I don't want to play a platform
, I want to play a finished game. On top of that, you're paying for potential not for what's here and now. This is so, so sad.

Unfortunately, the writing has been on the wall for this one. This is the direction that benefits Microsoft the most, with their focus primarily on a subscription service that thrives on recurring revenue and people not canceling the sub.

Complete games on launch, without any "platform" type drip-feeding of content, goes directly against that concept.

Be ready for a TON more of it in the future.

gt7 focused more on car details, Motorsport focused more on environment.
look closely at both and you’ll see it

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Tried a few laps with the McLaren MP4/4 glad to see that open wheel cars are no longer unplayable like they were in FM7, still there’s it understeers a bit too much.

And the review are totally right, even with a simple g920, FF isn’t good at default.

Still liking what I see so far, it’s a good leap over FM7 in the basics.

I'm sorry, but getting the wheel support wrong is just downright bad form...wtf turn 10.

supernova8

Banned
I think with Forza if you tweaked the color settings on your tv/monitor it might look better. It just all looks a bit beige/yellow as if there's like a thin layer of sand on the "camera". Hard to put my finger on it. I suppose you could say on the flipside GT7 looks "too clean". Maybe we need a middle ground between the two.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That's what I thought too, at first, but on closer inspection, it's not necessarily the case. Even the environment in Forza does not look that much better (or better at all).

Having said that, I have noticed inconsistencies in Forza. So there are a few types of trees that look much better than what's in GT 7. But then there are trees like in the following image that do not look better, or the sideways, or the weird looking crowd in Forza (which are all part of the environment).

Screenshot directly from this video. Same track; same position; same time of day.

ThKSEqA.jpg
Here is another example.

MRs6MbY.jpg

Jorav

Just played for a few hours. My impressions are

- an evolution, not revolution
- cars feel heavy compared to GT7, though I am playing with stock controller settings. Physics feel behind GT7.
- GT7 ahead on car models, FM still can’t figure out headlights and plastic trim. Wheels look horrendous in the upgrades menu.
- Career progression okay, I do enjoy the practice elements. Helps rank the car up.
-Drivartars are still dumb. Random braking, plough into you mid corner. Stick to you like glue and slow you down. Depending on your grid position and the AI behaviour in the first lap largely impacted my final position.
- Penalty system is hit and miss. Can cut a corner and overtake 4 cars without issue. Minor apex cut, and 1 sec penalty.
- Audio is fantastic, enjoying all the noises.
- Menu navigation is clunky at times. Want to simply restart a race? Need to confirm grid slot and fuel mix again. Just give me an option to restart the actual race.
-GT7 hud, telemetry and info during the race more useful. Wish I could change fuel ratios during racing instead of set fuel amount at the start of the race. This could be different in longer races.

That's what I thought too, at first, but on closer inspection, it's not necessarily the case. Even the environment in Forza does not look that much better (or better at all).

Having said that, I have noticed inconsistencies in Forza. So there are a few types of trees that look much better than what's in GT 7. But then there are trees like in the following image that do not look better, or the sideways, or the weird looking crowd in Forza (which are all part of the environment).

Here is another example.

MRs6MbY.jpg
We know that capture footage for Forza is completely off, it's all washed out.

Last edited:

SomeGit

I'm sorry, but getting the wheel support wrong is just downright bad form...wtf turn 10.

At this point it’s almost their trademark. I can’t even understand how a common Xbox wheel like the G920 feels so bad compared to stuff like even the F1 games.

Last edited:

H4ze

Jesus the bullshit some people write in here.. 85 seems so be a bad game now kk lol. Touch some grass guys.

"Sold my xbox cuz of Starfield muh" absolutely pathetic basement dweller crap.

Btt: looking forward to play it! I always enjoyed the FM games and I am sure I will have my fair share of fun with this one too. :)

Jesus the bullshit some people write in here.. 85 seems so be a bad game now kk lol. Touch some grass guys.

"Sold my xbox cuz of Starfield muh" absolutely pathetic basement dweller crap.

Btt: looking forward to play it! I always enjoyed the FM games and I am sure I will have my fair share of fun with this one too. :)
Damn bro, you seem to take this shit personally. Touch some grass.

I'm interested in playing this, but I hate to have to unlock a bunch of shite to be competitive with other cars in online. Is that how the online here works? I prefer racing with everyone on the same level.

Last edited:

zephiross

Having watched several reviews, I think the biggest issues with the game's visuals are the really fucking bad shaders. thy are just not on par with today's standards and make everything looks plasticky. That and the overexposed image that kills contrast and any nuance in the lighting in the process. The "low-poly" models are also of great diservice to the game, many edges that are supposed to be rounded are simplifieds into sharp edges resulting in a lack of specular highlights. Reflections are also not smooth on seamingly curved surfaces because of the same issue.

The rainy footage with headlights turned on are also comically overdone. Car lights are wayyyyyy too bright compared to ambiant lighting, and the lack of self shadowing at night on cars is a big omition. I would trade them with the half baked ray-traced reflection in a heartbeat.

Overall I can't say this game looks good to me, I much prefere the presentation of GT7 (better dynamic range, models and shaders).

As for driving with a wheel, it seems on par with precedent forza games, which means dogshit...

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Forza Motorsport 4 shipped with a career that offered 1000+ events. This new entry is 1/10 of that. FM4 had more tracks, modes, you name it.

If they would release a product like FM4 and build upon that, I wouldn't mind it.

It just makes me sad.

if they released a product like FM4, it’d be torn apart for having a multiplayer mode significantly behind the times.

That reviewer is a clown. Anyone cheering on a game as a "platform" is a clown.

“Nobody is allowed to like what I dislike”

Played a few more races. I love the practice element. I wish the segment feature that times you on portions of the track were in the races and not just practice, really keeps you engaged.

Also enjoying the progression system. Really makes it seem more like a “caRPG”. I haven’t read a single review. For those that have, any general consensus on the progression?

GHG

fuck your known issues.
this shit should be a crime at this point.
can’t imagine any other industry getting away with releasing this many unfinished products.

Honestly it's just funny at this point.

And to top it all off they are all at it with this thing of charging the FOMO crowd extra to do the final beta test the week before the main release. It's got to the stage where they are telegraphing how they are going to fuck us as consumers but people are lapping it up and paying extra for the pleasure. Same shit has happened with Total War Pharaoh, I'm running out of things to say on this subject.

It's only getting worse.

All new AI, they said. (Look from 40 seconds)

Just like its predecessor.

"from the ground up"

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
Apparently Chris Esaki said the AI in the preview build was quote 'blind' - as you can see above, it literally is - it has no idea there is anything in front of it until it hits it by trial and error. And yet... the full versions of previous Forzas were like this and never fixed, and evidently so is the full version of FM 2023. What sort of developer would sit down and write AI that is not made aware of other cars in its vicinity? The CPU knows where everything is, in real time - but it never told the AI. If you wrote code like this at university you would fail your course.

Elysium44

Banned
I see the livery editor is not improved from previous versions, is very clunky compared to GT7's and to top it off is locked at 30fps on Series X. This has been a big complaint for years and it looks like they just lazily copy and pasted it for the 'reboot'.

Zoloft

Banned
Just played for a few hours. My impressions are

- an evolution, not revolution
- cars feel heavy compared to GT7, though I am playing with stock controller settings. Physics feel behind GT7.
- GT7 ahead on car models, FM still can’t figure out headlights and plastic trim. Wheels look horrendous in the upgrades menu.
- Career progression okay, I do enjoy the practice elements. Helps rank the car up.
-Drivartars are still dumb. Random braking, plough into you mid corner. Stick to you like glue and slow you down. Depending on your grid position and the AI behaviour in the first lap largely impacted my final position.
- Penalty system is hit and miss. Can cut a corner and overtake 4 cars without issue. Minor apex cut, and 1 sec penalty.
- Audio is fantastic, enjoying all the noises.
- Menu navigation is clunky at times. Want to simply restart a race? Need to confirm grid slot and fuel mix again. Just give me an option to restart the actual race.
-GT7 hud, telemetry and info during the race more useful. Wish I could change fuel ratios during racing instead of set fuel amount at the start of the race. This could be different in longer races.
what about graphics

damidu

Especially how long this game has been in development
don’t want to single them out, otherwise people get console warry and defensive. and honestly ms devs have the burden of day1 pc releases too

but take a look at the full list its crazy

it’s not like these bugs just came up and you started on fixes, you actively decided to release the game with them and charge for “early beta test access”

my favourite
Graphics - AMD machines running the PC builds will perform the entire shader precompiling step at every launch. Faster machines should be done in a minute or so, but older machines can take several minutes.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
if they released a product like FM4, it’d be torn apart for having a multiplayer mode significantly behind the times.

I'm talking about single player campaign. Why are you changing subject? It's embarrassing how little content there is at launch. 5 tours with a couple of cups inside that will take 2 days to complete. Amazing. And their plan right now to add 1 cup (ONE!) a week.

lol

I'm fighting myself not to buy it. I'm so hungry for new Forza.

Having watched several reviews, I think the biggest issues with the game's visuals are the really fucking bad shaders. thy are just not on par with today's standards and make everything looks plasticky. That and the overexposed image that kills contrast and any nuance in the lighting in the process. The "low-poly" models are also of great diservice to the game, many edges that are supposed to be rounded are simplifieds into sharp edges resulting in a lack of specular highlights. Reflections are also not smooth on seamingly curved surfaces because of the same issue.

The rainy footage with headlights turned on are also comically overdone. Car lights are wayyyyyy too bright compared to ambiant lighting, and the lack of self shadowing at night on cars is a big omition. I would trade them with the half baked ray-traced reflection in a heartbeat.

Overall I can't say this game looks good to me, I much prefere the presentation of GT7 (better dynamic range, models and shaders).

As for driving with a wheel, it seems on par with precedent forza games, which means dogshit...
Yup this in a nutshell. 6 years of development for this.

They got too worried about getting ray tracing in game (which doesn't even look remotely that good) and let the gameplay aspect slip through.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yup this in a nutshell. 6 years of development for this.

They got too worried about getting ray tracing in game (which doesn't even look remotely that good) and let the gameplay aspect slip through.
This is what bugs me is this game has been baking for at least 6 years and this is what we get?

Maybe they needed another year or so but it just doesn't feel finished to me, not on the PC anyhow

Guess I expected too much because I really thought this would be a visual stunner on a beefy PC

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Jesus Christ screw that progression system. That is absolutely ridiculous. Also what's up with the lifeless boring menus? I don't like GTs menus either but at least it feels alive.
Looks like they took the criticisms of Forza Horizon progression to heart but then went too far the other way.

Top Bottom