• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport |OT| Step on the GaaS

Its not a bad game but after spending a decent amount of time with it on a Series X and a 4090 PC the only real thing I feel I am missing on console version is ultrawide

After some decent tweaks I can push my framerate 120+ but it still feels very good on console and honestly find myself playing it there more than my PC
Yup. Like I said, PC feels like Series X version with just some minor tweaks. BTW, on PC, is yours kicking into AutoHDR instead of built-in game HDR?

Last edited:

TheMan

I’m just not digging the career mode. It feels far too linear and limiting so far. I wanna race classic Porsche or Ferraris or do the JDM legends series now not in 20 races from now

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Its not a bad game but after spending a decent amount of time with it on a Series X and a 4090 PC the only real thing I feel I am missing on console version is ultrawide

After some decent tweaks I can push my framerate 120+ but it still feels very good on console and honestly find myself playing it there more than my PC

Doesn't that bode well for how well optimized the console version is then ?

DanielG165

Been playing for the past 30 minutes or so thanks to the New Zealand trick, and the biggest aspects that have stood out to me thus far are the handling/tire model, the sounds of the cars, the visuals, and the upgrade system.

Starting with the new handling and tire model: it definitely feels like a big step up from Motorsport 7 where every car felt artificially heavy, not bad, but the handling I never felt was ever dialed in where it should have been. Here, the cars so far feel much more natural with a good emphasis on weightiness that doesn’t go overboard. The grip level feels good, and the tires give you a great sensation of when they’re really hooking, and when they’re on the edge of losing grip. The handling is a major plus.

Next are the sounds. The sounds of the cars are again, much improved from FM7. There is now real, genuine bass and depth to the engine and exhaust notes that put Motorsport 2023 alongside the likes of FM5 in having the best car sounds in Forza Motorsport, specifically. The way the sound waves reverberate and echo off of the fences, walls, and windows as you’re blasting down a back straight or hurtling down the front straight is magnificent, and I haven’t even gotten to drive cars with super high revving engines like the C8 Z06, 458, 911 GT3, or a Lamborghini V10 or V12, or any burly V8s outside of the E-Ray.

I will say that Assetto Corsa Competizione still has the best car notes in any racing game, but FM 2023 is a big improvement over its predecessor here.

Moving on to the visuals and graphics: I can’t really say much here that hasn’t already been stated. The visuals are uneven at most, and stunning at their best. For the MOST part, the game looks incredible in person, but they’re then offset by questionable things like the use of inaccurate and outdated car models from 10 years ago, and certain tracks also being inaccurate. This is a racing game from a series that prides itself on being a graphical tour de force; we shouldn’t have silly and lazy issues like these. The inaccuracy of certain car models especially is head scratching, since Turn 10 explicitly stated how they were going to remedy such; that’s simply a lack of effort on their part.

9/10, the game looks pretty awesome, but it’s held back by some weird issues, and more egregious ones like performance on PC. I have an RTX 2080 Super paired with a 9700K, and the game is absolutely slamming my PC right now. The performance for PC isn’t where it needs to be, and hopefully it improves sooner than later.

Lastly is the upgrade system: it’s not good. It needs significant changing, and soon.

Overall, Forza Motorsport 8 is mixed right now for me. The highs are incredibly high, but the lows are questionable and a little disappointing. I’ll be sticking with it because the fun to be had here is great, and the potential is there. However, we shouldn’t be talking about the game’s potential here, not when it was in development for 6 years. No, we should be talking about a product that feels complete and polished from the start, no matter if it’s a gaas title. Those of us that have been with this franchise for a while all know how Turn 10 is about updates that provide significant improvements to their games. Hopefully that changes with this latest entry.

I’ll say this: for a celebration of cars, this isn’t a bad game at all. In fact, it’s a pretty damn good game in this regard, and the handling, great FX, and graphics all certainty help with that. However, if you’re looking for a game that provides a genuine motorsport experience, and takes that aspect seriously, and provides you with that atmosphere to an absolute tea… Assetto Corsa Competizione is that game. I don’t know how the experience is on console, but on PC, it’s fantastic. FM8 is celebration of cars, ACC is a celebration of motorsport and circuit racing. It’s great to have both.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I've played for 10 hours according to Steam. Game is full of problems but I want to keep playing because it's the best feeling racing game on a controller that I've ever played. I just hope that they will support the shit out of it and keep improving ASAP.

Last edited:
I've played for 10 hours according to Steam. Game is full of problems but I want to keep playing because it's the best feeling racing game on a controller that I've ever played. I just hope that they will support the shit out of it and keep improving ASAP.
This is literally what they've said, they're treating this like a service now. One thing Microsoft got right this generation was Sea of Thieves, grounded etc hopefully this has a similar level of support.

schuey7

So basically you guys who think it’s a bad game are playing the pc version? I haven’t installed it on my pc yet because it’s ridiculously big… but it’s been nothing but great on console for me. 🤷‍♂️
I've had progress loss multiple times on my series x as have others. So there are definitely big bugs that need to be ironed out.
I've personally stopped playing for now but keep getting tempted to play a race and then lose progress and then again stop playing for the day lol 😆

Schmick

Been playing for the past 30 minutes or so thanks to the New Zealand trick, and the biggest aspects that have stood out to me thus far are the handling/tire model, the sounds of the cars, the visuals, and the upgrade system.

Starting with the new handling and tire model: it definitely feels like a big step up from Motorsport 7 where every car felt artificially heavy, not bad, but the handling I never felt was ever dialed in where it should have been. Here, the cars so far feel much more natural with a good emphasis on weightiness that doesn’t go overboard. The grip level feels good, and the tires give you a great sensation of when they’re really hooking, and when they’re on the edge of losing grip. The handling is a major plus.

Next are the sounds. The sounds of the cars are again, much improved from FM7. There is now real, genuine bass and depth to the engine and exhaust notes that put Motorsport 2023 alongside the likes of FM5 in having the best car sounds in Forza Motorsport, specifically. The way the sound waves reverberate and echo off of the fences, walls, and windows as you’re blasting down a back straight or hurtling down the front straight is magnificent, and I haven’t even gotten to drive cars with super high revving engines like the C8 Z06, 458, 911 GT3, or a Lamborghini V10 or V12, or any burly V8s outside of the E-Ray.

I will say that Assetto Corsa Competizione still has the best car notes in any racing game, but FM 2023 is a big improvement over its predecessor here.

Moving on to the visuals and graphics: I can’t really say much here that hasn’t already been stated. The visuals are uneven at most, and stunning at their best. For the MOST part, the game looks incredible in person, but they’re then offset by questionable things like the use of inaccurate and outdated car models from 10 years ago, and certain tracks also being inaccurate. This is a racing game from a series that prides itself on being a graphical tour de force; we shouldn’t have silly and lazy issues like these. The inaccuracy of certain car models especially is head scratching, since Turn 10 explicitly stated how they were going to remedy such; that’s simply a lack of effort on their part.

9/10, the game looks pretty awesome, but it’s held back by some weird issues, and more egregious ones like performance on PC. I have an RTX 2080 Super paired with a 9700K, and the game is absolutely slamming my PC right now. The performance for PC isn’t where it needs to be, and hopefully it improves sooner than later.

Lastly is the upgrade system: it’s not good. It needs significant changing, and soon.

Overall, Forza Motorsport 8 is mixed right now for me. The highs are incredibly high, but the lows are questionable and a little disappointing. I’ll be sticking with it because the fun to be had here is great, and the potential is there. However, we shouldn’t be talking about the game’s potential here, not when it was in development for 6 years. No, we should be talking about a product that feels complete and polished from the start, no matter if it’s a gaas title. Those of us that have been with this franchise for a while all know how Turn 10 is about updates that provide significant improvements to their games. Hopefully that changes with this latest entry.

I’ll say this: for a celebration of cars, this isn’t a bad game at all. In fact, it’s a pretty damn good game in this regard, and the handling, great FX, and graphics all certainty help with that. However, if you’re looking for a game that provides a genuine motorsport experience, and takes that aspect seriously, and provides you with that atmosphere to an absolute tea… Assetto Corsa Competizione is that game. I don’t know how the experience is on console, but on PC, it’s fantastic. FM8 is celebration of cars, ACC is a celebration of motorsport and circuit racing. It’s great to have both.
I've never wanted a developer to hear the fans more then I do right now. The campaign progression sounds awful and must be addressed. In fact the progression doesn't sound that much different to the grind you would expect playing a f2p mobile game. Its frustrating to hear that the campaign is so far removed from the campaign in FM4, the very type of campaign fans have been asking for. Unfortunately I don't think we are going to hear anything from Turn10 about it for a while.

That said its encouraging to hear about the good things mentioned about the physics and handling.

clarky

Gold Member
This is where im at. God dam it feels so good to play on a pad and when everything comes together, changing time of day/ weather and a decent race, its an excellent time.

Hopefully the patches come sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member

Haha the pain of every single new Forza games intros and unskippable audio person telling you that cars are good and you should like cars because they are fast and fun. Thank you T10 I know I like cars that's why I bought your game, they do indeed treat you like an Amish person who has never had the pleasure of lusting for or owning a motor car

GHG

Gold Member
Haha the pain of every single new Forza games intros and unskippable audio person telling you that cars are good and you should like cars because they are fast and fun. Thank you T10 I know I like cars that's why I bought your game, they do indeed treat you like an Amish person who has never had the pleasure of lusting for or owning a motor car

There should be an option to skip the on-boarding at the start of the game (a couple of simple questions asking whether you've played Forza games before and/or your experience with racing games in general will suffice).

The fact that they start everyone off without any option to customise the assists/options before they plonk you on a track is something that really needs to change. I understand why it exists, but for those who are more experienced with these types of games it can immediately rub you the wrong way and provide a poor experience (especially in terms of how the car will feel to control with all the assists and without your wheel being set up correctly if it even works at all).

Last edited:

DanielG165

After proceeding further into the game, yeah… The performance on PC is obscenely poor right now. I’ve tried everything: I’ve turned down the resolution, I’ve turned down the RT, I’ve set DLSS to performance, I’ve restarted the entire game, and can still only manage a feeble 30fps, sometimes. And yet, every other game my PC can handle just fine, even at 4K, but Forza Motorsport, a circuit-based racing game, is chugging? Horizon 5 runs fine at 60fps, but its current gen sister game runs like garbage.

It’s not hyperbolic for me to say that I’m quite annoyed right now. It’s an ultimately a game, so I know that I probably shouldn’t be, but damn do I feel that way. It’s still a product that I unfortunately spent money on (the standard edition, thankfully), and thus expected it to at least run competently, especially when my VRAM usage isn’t even close to being taxed, per the game’s admittedly sparse graphics menu.

I’m honestly disappointed right now, truly. Turn 10’s next update/patch needs to be focused entirely on stability, because this is absolutely ridiculous and appalling that they would release their flagship title in the state it’s in. Maybe I can save up for an SX before the year is out to play this in a stable state, but I shouldn’t feel like I have to. I think this comment will also be posted to the official Forza channels, along with many others I’m sure.

Turn 10, as a fan of the Forza Motorsport series, and to Microsoft, as a fan of your gaming division, please get it together. If I can run the likes of Starfield and RDR2 just fine at 4K high/ultra settings, there should be no reason why your racing game is dragging like it is. Unbelievable.

MastAndo

Some grievances after completing 4 or 5 career mode circuits. I'm playing at 4/5 difficulty, and the AI seems...not that great? They smash into you and play bumper cars early on, but in all the races I've done has a car I passed caught up to me and overtaken me back even if I'm not driving particularly well. It's like they fall back intentionally once passed. A car that I take 2 or 3 laps to finally catch behaves the same way and just loses all ability once passed. Perhaps it's time to crank the difficulty but I thought that was weird for the level I'm playing at.

Also, the loading screens are a bit jarring. I didn't mind at first, but after a while, it's clear how much nicer it would be if things were a bit more seamless between pre-race, lining up in starting positions and having the race actually start.

Other than that, I'm having a good time. At it's core, the racing itself is a lot of fun due to how well the cars handle. I'm finding that throwing on a Spotify playlist to suit my mood and zipping through a few races is downright cathartic.

Some grievances after completing 4 or 5 career mode circuits. I'm playing at 4/5 difficulty, and the AI seems...not that great? They smash into you and play bumper cars early on, but in all the races I've done has a car I passed caught up to me and overtaken me back even if I'm not driving particularly well. It's like they fall back intentionally once passed. A car that I take 2 or 3 laps to finally catch behaves the same way and just loses all ability once passed. Perhaps it's time to crank the difficulty but I thought that was weird for the level I'm playing at.

Also, the loading screens are a bit jarring. I didn't mind at first, but after a while, it's clear how much nicer it would be if things were a bit more seamless between pre-race, lining up in starting positions and having the race actually start.

Other than that, I'm having a good time. At it's core, the racing itself is a lot of fun due to how well the cars handle. I'm finding that throwing on a Spotify playlist to suit my mood and zipping through a few races is downright cathartic.
I haven't played that much so but what loading screens mate ? There is hardly 3 4 second of loading screen and then Ur ready to race atleast on series X it's like that

MastAndo

I haven't played that much so but what loading screens mate ? There is hardly 3 4 second of loading screen and then Ur ready to race atleast on series X it's like that
They're not long, there just seems to be a bunch of them. Start Race -> track loading screen -> Start Practice -> loading screen with lines -> Exit Practice -> Loading screen with lines, etc. After a while, just got to thinking how it would be cooler for the presentation if it was seamless. It's a minor complaint, maybe I've been just playing too much lol.

Senua

Gold Member
Apparently the C32 mercedes is only 1600lbs! Must be made of that nazi super aluminium they prototyped

img_20231009_203904y5dnr.jpg

Elysium44

Banned
^ how come that shows horsepower for power but not ft/lbs for torque? I can't remember if previous Motorsports were like that, but I know Horizon isn't.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Does the collision penalties only effect MP or does it affect solo career as well? And is there a way to turn it off?

I want less sim in this sim racer :messenger_grinning_sweat:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
This is literally what they've said, they're treating this like a service now. One thing Microsoft got right this generation was Sea of Thieves, grounded etc hopefully this has a similar level of support.

They also did Halo Infinite so yeah I believe it when I see it. Let’s hope it’s not all too little too late.

Senua

Gold Member
The reflections cutting in and out with the windscreen wipers is really annoying. Had to switch to hood view for rain races

The hood view actually has motion blur too unlike cockpit view so sense of speed is great

Last edited:

Certinty

This surely cannot be the whole career mode?

No freedom and you have to complete each series in order to unlock the next one?

It’s like they came up with this ‘career’ in a day.

I have no words.

clarky

Gold Member
This surely cannot be the whole career mode?

No freedom and you have to complete each series in order to unlock the next one?

It’s like they came up with this ‘career’ in a day.

I have no words.
Its not. most of it has been chopped out, to be fed back to you in very small pieces each week.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Game keeps crashing on my PC when trying to load a track. 7900 XTX, even at stock settings.

Super fucking annoying.

Edit - I think I figured it out. I had resolution scaling turned up to 150% because I liked how it cleaned up aliasing... but apparently that setting was causing the game to crash. Turned it back to 100% and it's fine now.

Last edited:

skyfinch

Does the fov slider for cockpit do anything? I changed it to both extremes but it doesnt seem to change anything.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Im having a really weird issue where entire trackside objects or even the track pop in or pop out at random.
Edit: somehow this was installed to my HDD. Moving now and hopefully that fixes things.

Last edited:

Zarak

I've been a huge fan of Forza since the 1st game. I've played and completed every game. I have a lot to say about this one which I am playing on Series X. First the good. The handling and feel with a controller is really good. The graphics can look great depending on the track/time of day/weather. The new track Hakone is beautiful but short. The featured multiplayer is solid.

Now the bad. The career mode is so lackluster it borders on farce. No motorsport races, no variety. Time trials, cone challenges, bowling, car soccer, last man standing all the different types from Forza's past are missing here. There is a miniscule amount of races especially when you compare to past Forza games. They attempt to artificially extend this with practice mode and car leveling but it doesn't work. It has a decent amount of tracks and cars but even there it is half the previous games. Almost all of the iconic Forza tracks like Rio, Bernese Alps, Dubai, Prague are missing. The game is very buggy and crash prone with tons of visual bugs and the game will crash when you spend more than a few minutes looking at liveries. The livery search feature is beyond terrible it uses a very low res preview you can barely see and you can't even move the car around to get a better angle. Some of the sound is terrible, driving through water sounds like someone rustling a plastic bag. Don't try driving a car near 250 mph either because the screen goes insane and shakes around like it's having a seizure. The upgrade system which ties upgrades to car level is beyond frustrating and prevents the fun of trying out new cars and crazy engine swaps without a huge time investment. The lighting and colors look flat and uninspired most of the time.

The tracks don't look any where near as good as they did in the previews they showed. I was really excited to see the new Maply Valley but it's just ok. They removed the covered bridge which was a cool track feature and they added a waterfall and a stream but you can't even really see them from the track. Much of the game has a basic and unpolished/unfinished feel to it. There are huge regressions in many basic Forza features like the livery editor, livery search, drivatars and more. The AI seems particularly brain dead it often randomly crashes off the track and brakes way too much even on the highest difficulty. There are a ton of difficulty options which is great but they have a new system where you pick a group of settings like car damage/fuel simulation/penalties which cannot be individually changed any more. The game is very miserly with rewards as well. There are only 5/6 rewards cars from playing the entire game. You only get a small amount of credits for every 5 levels and not a ton from the races either. The weather effects are also quite poor. I went back and looked at Forza 6 and there was way more detail with the rain.

In summary I think this game needed at least another year in development. In 3 times the amount of dev time they managed to release 1/5 the amount of game. I don't know what is going on at Turn 10 but clearly they have some serious behind the scenes issues happening. It reminds me of Forza 5 at launch but worse in many ways.

nashman

Oof. On PC on Ultra it looks worse than FM5 and I get almost half the frames! YAY! DLSS barely works! It adds 7 fps? Needs some patches, not sure this(PC Ultra) even looks better than GT7 tbh.

Oh love the way they raytrace reflect the videgame ass racing/braking line on the cars paint! WTF? Its so distracting.

Atleast the driving itself feels good but performance and graphically this leaves alot to be desired.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I know 20 tracks is not alot, but im soo happy that every track features dynamic tod and weather. It looks soo good and changes the whole track for me every time i play. Turn everything off abs aside, turn also the hud off completely. And you have one of the best experiences in this game.

If anybody wants to know the race config.
ZMqw9me.jpg

9n0bqM4.jpg

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
^ how come that shows horsepower for power but not ft/lbs for torque? I can't remember if previous Motorsports were like that, but I know Horizon isn't.
That's how stats are shown on cars, at least in the U.K for the last few years.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yup, it's the best feeling and racing forza for a long time. Online is amazing when working properly.

Everything else, I'm not sure at this moment in time.

Top Bottom