• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport |OT| Step on the GaaS

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Got second place in an online race and it was absolutely nail biting stuff, incredible!

They have the foundation but I'm scratching my head at the unlock model car level thing. Surely they just change it to manufacturer.

Not sure how they messed that up so badly. How did nobody think it was a bad idea?

Queue, "we've listened to the community" dev blog post like every game nowadays.

Is this the only way they get these changes past the suits and higher ups? The devs try and tell them something is shit and the suits day nope, put it in, so then they wait for the community to complain to get the changes implemented?

I just can't believe developers are this stupid?

There are obvious flaws and bugs in the game
No matter how u try to defend it the leveling system sucks ass
It doesn't matter in multiplayer spec series since everyone has same car and power but in single player how they force u to do 3x practice laps just so u can have enough lvl to upgrade and be competitive with the ai drivers is just mindless grinding
On low lvl difficulty like 4 or 5 maybe 6 7 aswell u can skip the practice laps and power through the AI but on 7 8 and above u need to be at max power lvl to be competitive.
But underneath all the flaws there is a great driving game

sinnergy

There are obvious flaws and bugs in the game
No matter how u try to defend it the leveling system sucks ass
It doesn't matter in multiplayer spec series since everyone has same car and power but in single player how they force u to do 3x practice laps just so u can have enough lvl to upgrade and be competitive with the ai drivers is just mindless grinding
On low lvl difficulty like 4 or 5 maybe 6 7 aswell u can skip the practice laps and power through the AI but on 7 8 and above u need to be at max power lvl to be competitive.
But underneath all the flaws there is a great driving game
I like the practice rounds , it’s a bit like qualifying in Formula 1. But without placing yourself , learning g the track, afterwards I pick my position and adjust AI.

Last edited:
I like the practice rounds , it’s a bit like qualifying in Formula 1. But without placing yourself , learning g the track, afterwards I pick my position and adjust AI.
Practice should be optional in my opinion just because u like it shouldnt be forced on everyone to practice 3 laps first .
Yes there is an option to skip it but if u skip it ur car is underlvled and underpowered for higher difficulties

sinnergy

Practice should be optional in my opinion just because u like it shouldnt be forced on everyone to practice 3 laps first .
Yes there is an option to skip it but if u skip it ur car is underlvled and underpowered for higher difficulties
I see where you are coming from, maybe they need to give players a option to use these practice rounds as qualifying instead. And when you skip that , you can buy your place on the grid instead, could work . And have a separate practice without leveling up in points .

I see where you are coming from, maybe they need to give players a option to use these practice rounds as qualifying instead. And when you skip that , you can buy your place on the grid instead, could work . And have a separate practice without leveling up in points .
Yeah that could work , see 2 nobodies like u and mecan come up with a solution in like 3 messages how come t10 didn't think of this in 6 years lolz.
The racing and alot of things in this game are s tier but the grind that comes to lvl the cars are so much worse atleast for me ,
I'm all up for practice qualify and race in multiplayer that design is superb
But I want to race and race alone in single player

Elysium44

Banned
Now released to everyone on Steam. Most of the reviews aren't flattering.

Rfyeprv.jpg

Well there it is.... I was a dedicated Forza fan since the first one came out, with FM4 as an all time high.
I also enjoyed Gran Turismo before switching to Forza as my main racegame.

It pains me to say that Forza was the only reason I had a Microsoft console. After seeing the shitshow that is FM8 (I mean its a bugfest and they killed EVERYTHING that made it a Forza game), I ditched my Series X for a PS5 and am currently falling in love again with Gran Turismo.
Is this what you want MS? Going for quantity over quality!? If so then fuck you right in the ass.

As for T10. Thanks for the 20ish years of fun racing but no thanks for the massive finger you are giving the fans.

Nice job MS/T10, for just not giving half a shit about your racing legacy. Stick FM where the sun won't shine. This franchise can rot for all I care. Im genuinly gutted..

I'm going back to GT. Fuck this shit.

Last edited:
Well there it is.... I was a dedicated Forza fan since the first one came out, with FM4 as an all time high.

It pains me to say that Forza was the only reason I had a Microsoft console. After seeing the shitshow that is FM8 (I mean its a bugfest and they killed EVERYTHING that made it a Forza game), I ditched my Series X for a PS5 and am currently falling in love again with Gran Turismo.
Is this what you want MS? Going for quantity over quality!? If so then fuck you right in the ass.

As for T10. Thanks for the 20ish years of fun racing but no thanks for the massive finger you are giving the fans.

Nice job MS/T10, for just not giving half a shit about your racing legacy. Stick FM where the sun won't shine. This franchise can rot for all I care. Im genuinly gutted..

I want to know what bugs did u encountered on xsx

Dobsie

B1qMttL.jpg
Anyone else got this stupid cursor stuck in the middle of their screen?? Doesn't show when I screenshot on the xsx so had to take a picture. Tried quittting out and restarting console but it persists. Am I really gonna have to download all 130gb again!?

djjinx2

I've played for 10 hours according to Steam. Game is full of problems but I want to keep playing because it's the best feeling racing game on a controller that I've ever played. I just hope that they will support the shit out of it and keep improving ASAP.
Update 2.0 is coming November, which you would hope will sort ALOT of issues out.

Already the game has gripped me like no other racer since Driveclub.

Online and Rival's mainly, campaign now and again. ( For reference I play S/X and controller)

Elysium44

Banned
What quantity? There's like ~20 cups in the game at launch. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Then again, the previous games FM5, 6 and 7 had lots of quantity, but... it was all pointless and I never could bring myself to finish them. Just a massive list of work to do, it wasn't fun (because you're racing against the worst AI in racing game history) and you're not working towards anything. A boring grind, the reward for which is... nothing at all. At least if you have a boring real life job, you get paid money which you use to pay your bills or buy luxuries.

I finally fired up the game today and I kind of want to hold off on playing it more until it's finished.

The driving feels absolutely fantastic, the cars don't lose traction like an on/off switch anymore and I really want to keep playing but this is one of the worst running games I've played on my PC, ever. I'm running Starfield at max settings at a higher FPS than this, and Starfield runs like trash. I run Horizon 5 at ~100fps at 1440p/max settings with zero issues, but this is just all over the place and frankly it doesn't look nearly as good as Horizon 5. Photo mode sucks, you can only lift the camera a few feet again, half the time tracking the car doesn't work so I can't take a motion shot, replays stutter like mad and everything has a soft look, the exact opposite of FM7 which was a little too crisp. This dumb cunt won't shut up and keeps babbling worthless dialogue while a stuttering cutscene plays that I can't skip. I'm probably too tired and getting more worked up about the game than normal. I'm up late, excited to finally play the game and it's been nothing but annoying issues that play testing should have solved in the six years this game took Turn10 to shit out.

Driving is great, everything else so far seems pretty mediocre. I'm feeling the same about Forza right now as I did when I bought GT6 and quickly discovered it was basically GT5.5 with a bit more content, but at least that game had plenty of content. They need to get this sorted out.

I want to know what bugs did u encountered on xsx
Where to start. It's all a bit hit and miss.

- Cars launching themselves in replays like they are from Space-X
- Floaty cars (road contact doesnt feel correct)
- Textures not loading well
- 5 crashes to dash in 2 hours

It's not just the bugs, it's the omission of many simple things that made Forza Forza.
Its now a grindfest.

It feels incomplete compared to FM7, as if they didnt pour their heart into it but just made a modern-day-sequel with emphasis on grinding.

Hard to explain but if FM4 (the best in the series) is a 5 star meal, then this is a soggy burger from McDonalds.
I dont feel the quality I felt in previous iterations and that is a red flag for me.

This game is barebones and not finished. It's an afront to the franchise.

Where to start. It's all a bit hit and miss.

- Cars launching themselves in replays like they are from Space-X
- Floaty cars (road contact doesnt feel correct)
- Textures not loading well
- 5 crashes to dash in 2 hours

It's not just the bugs, it's the omission of many simple things that made Forza Forza.
Its now a grindfest.

It feels incomplete compared to FM7, as if they didnt pour their heart into it but just made a modern-day-sequel with emphasis on grinding.

Hard to explain but if FM4 (the best in the series) is a 5 star meal, then this is a soggy burger from McDonalds.
I dont feel the quality I felt in previous iterations and that is a red flag for me.

This game is barebones and not finished. It's an afront to the franchise.
I can understand that , I'm more of a multiplayer guy and multiplayer is magical .
Didnt had a single crash in like 12 13 hours of play did a few builders cup races and a featured cup with saburu then went straight to online and having a blast.

Elysium44

Banned

I think the only way Forza Motorsport can ever be good again is with a clearout of the people responsible. That means Alan Hartman, Chris Esaki, Dan Greenawalt. With them running things, it never gets better.

I think the only way Forza Motorsport can ever be good again is with a clearout of the people responsible. That means Alan Hartman, Chris Esaki, Dan Greenawalt. With them running things, it never gets better.
T10 needs to hire some ex- Evolution people. Driveclub is what, 8 years old? And it wipes the floor with everything FM8 has to offer.

Dare I say that FM7 looks better on a good TV then FM8? No, but seeing it run on a One X with better rain simulation is a technological achievement in 4K 60FPS on THAT hardware.
In comes FM8 on superior hardware and here I am left massively underwhelmed.....

I highly doubt that the same team made FM7 and FM8. If it is, shame on them.

Its like devs think we'd accept some half baked shit.

I guess my expectations were too high after my experience with previous Forza titles, or Im being realistic and FM8 just isnt finished.

Last edited:
Had 1 of the best races ever a few moments ago, online is pure cocaine the first place guy had 2 second penalty I at 2nd had a 1.5 really amazing Nail biting stuff till the end

Elysium44

Banned
Had 1 of the best races ever a few moments ago, online is pure cocaine the first place guy had 2 second penalty I at 2nd had a 1.5 really amazing Nail biting stuff till the end

Is there any goal to the online racing? A career structure? An online ranked leaderboard like in FH4? Does the game keep track of your wins? (FH5 doesn't, which was a regression from FH4.) If I get the game it would be to play online so I'd like to know how meaty it is, or if it's uninspired and barebones.

Orbital2060

Ok, bye bye.

salva

Just did the initial opening races on XSX. I kept it on the default performance mode but definitely noticed frame drops in the transitions of the cut scenes to gameplay. Is that the best mode or performance RT?

Also feels a lot more "floaty" then Forza 5 (last one I played) did.
Just in those initial races I can "feel" this isn't 100% polished.

Might do a couple more races, but i think it's back to Starfield. Still so much to do in that game.

Last edited:

Danknugz

the little i did play, i was struck by the weight of the cars and the feedback from the triggers, strangely, the experience actually felt quite similar to playing assetto corsa in VR, seems they really improved on the realism aspect by working on subtleties like car response and physics, but in relation to the overall player experience and not just on paper. feels like one of those games you need to play for a while before it grows on you and you start to understand what makes it special under the hood. i have a feeling going back to fh5 will feel kind of toy-ish after playing this.

that said it's very sim heavy, and a stark contrast to the fruity plains of horizon.

Roberts

I have no interest in cars and have no drivers license, so if I ever play racing games then it something like Split/Second, Burnout or Forza Horizon. Still, wanted to check it out and did a few races. Will practice a bit more and do some online races where I guess all the real fun lies. I have no clue where the game has fucked up, but I did enjoy it so far. Driving feels different than Forza Horizon - I really feel the weight of the cars and the sound is outstanding.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'm really liking the couple of hours I got to play after sorting out my issue where it was installed to my HDD and had some crazy issues because if it.
Most of the issues I have been reading haven't been as big a deal as I was expecting. The leveling is kind of novel - I understand what they are going for making you really appreciate and learn your car especially ones you normally wouldnt care about. There are so many cars in FH5 that I haven't even driven and the vast majority I have driven were never driven stock. I am sure it is frustrating if you have a specific car you want to drive that doesn't have a campaign though.
Performance wise - with everything max and 4K FSR quality im getting a fairly solid 50 FPS on my 6900XT and I'm sure reducing RT would get me well above 60 but 50 is fine for me with VRR. Looks acceptable to amazing depending on where you are and what is going on.
I havent had any crashes and havent observed any bugs.
The major plus is that the driving feels great on controller or my logitech wheel - it's the major draw for me, I feel like I am driving a car that behaves like I expect it to.

Pelao

I was having a good time, but the game has already gotten stuck twice while applying upgrades to my car, forcing me to restart and lose the progress of the last race I just won.
Yeah, I'm not dealing with this shit. I'll try it again in a few weeks or months after they've patched it. I guess it was too much to ask for the game to just work.

Zuzu

I like this Forza so far but GT7 is an absolute gem. I think (& hope) you’ll enjoy it a lot.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Man, I finally played it for just a little bit, and the first thing I noticed was..: This may be one of the absolute best controller-controlled* racers I've ever tried. Idk how they did it, but it's almost magical.

With that said, besides that it controls amazing and the nice racing feel, this game is not ready for prime time. It needs a while to bake yet. But the fundamentals are promising, it "just" needs a lot of work to get to a point where I'm giving a thumbs up. I have a 5950x and a RTX4090, but the annoying stutters and judders, image calibration.. My god..

* I have a good wheel, I just haven't bothered to set it up - yet.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Man, I finally played it for just a little bit, and the first thing I noticed was..: This may be one of the absolute best controller-controlled* racers I've ever tried. Idk how they did it, but it's almost magical.

With that said, besides that it controls amazing and the nice racing feel, this game is not ready for prime time. It needs a while to bake yet. But the fundamentals are promising, it "just" needs a lot of work to get to a point where I'm giving a thumbs up. I have a 5950x and a RTX4090, but the annoying stutters and judders, image calibration.. My god..

It’s a platform , can bake indefinitely 🤣 joke .. but that is the best part of todays racers, just keep adding content and update the graphics

clarky

Gold Member
Just downloading now, you seeing any improvements?

Hopefully DLSS actually gives a proper performance boost now
Not had chance to test yet but i'm guessing drivers are the least of this games problems. Hopefully a few frames and a bit of stability would be nice though.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Stutters and judders? Can't say I have noticed any on a much less powerful rig.

Senua

Gold Member
I cant even play the poxy game atm without being stopped every 2 seconds with this shit

XTNtBGX.png

I'm trying to play SINGLE PLAYER

fair enough if you're not gonna let me save or whatever but to actually stop me mid race if i lose connection to your shitty unstable servers, sincerely t10

go fuck ya nans

King Dazzar

I cant even play the poxy game atm without being stopped every 2 seconds with this shit

XTNtBGX.png

I'm trying to play SINGLE PLAYER

fair enough if you're not gonna let me save or whatever but to actually stop me mid race if i lose connection to your shitty unstable servers, sincerely t10

go fuck ya nans
Hey if its any consolation. I was slowly but surely making my way through the intro/beginning bits n bobs. You know the bits with numerous unskippable cut scenes and narration. Then just I was about to race again, I'm back looking at the Xbox dashboard. Then when I relaunch the game, I'm now in a different home menu set up. Spend a few moments trying to get my bearings back to the beginner races. To then have to listen to another load of unskippable tutorial narration. And then get to racing again. This all on XSX.

clarky

Gold Member
Just downloading now, you seeing any improvements?

Hopefully DLSS actually gives a proper performance boost now
Limited testing but reckon i've gained about 5%-10% with less dips. Too early to be sure.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I've had the od issue on XSX, some days no issues whatsoever. However I have watched some PC streams today and it seems terrible.
A shame really as this is a excellent game underneath and it's reputation is being ruined. I've had some great multiplayer races as well, went foggy and dark on Le Man's and had to change tyres also. Graphics are great at times.

Top Bottom