• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport |OT| Step on the GaaS

LostDonkey

Lol, no. It’s utter garbage and needs to go.

I disagree wholeheartedly.

It makes you focus on the car, spend valuable time with it and learn the intricacies of the handling model for each motor and then how it changes with each upgrade. It also stops you just whacking a huge stage 3 turbo on a car and not be able to drive it any more. More focus on balance.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
It's only allowing me to play the first series "the builders cup" . The rest of Career is blocked and says I have to wait 4 more days (shows a countdown)

You're telling me other people don't have this and can play more?

No, this is their single player content planned for the next couple of weeks for everyone. One cup per week. That’s it.

Phil didn't give them shit, that's the point. Xbox has been very open about the completely hands-off approach for their studios.

But clearly from recent events at least some of them could benefit from some kind of oversight to stop the shitshow releases with half baked games when they are some of the biggest powerhouses in the industry.

F.ex., why the fuck have they let 343 roam free for a decade to destroy Halo, it doesn't make any fucking sense.

Phil needs to go. Destroying Halo is the biggest tragedy to happen under this moron. Forza being so lacking is on him too. I can't believe that between Starfield and Forza, the Xbox isn't "back" in 2023. This was supposed to finally be the year the ship would be righted but it's not. Forza should look like that original trailer but it feels like we were lied to. Next gen only racing game that kinda sorta looks a bit better than gt7 at times. Can't believe between Halo Infinite, Redfall, Starfield and now Forza people don't have their pitchforks our for Xbox leadership.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

It makes you focus on the car, spend valuable time with it and learn the intricacies of the handling model for each motor and then how it changes with each upgrade. It also stops you just whacking a huge stage 3 turbo on a car and not be able to drive it any more. More focus on balance.

You’re delusional. Play FM4 for 1 hour and you see how much superior progression is in that game. Designers behind the new game are fucking imbeciles.

Senua

Gold Member

But once you upgrade and bond with that car the champion is over and you're forced into a new very small selection of cars. The event restrictions aren't broad enough. I'm doing a German saloon event ATM and you only have the choice of 3 cars

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
But once you upgrade and bond with that car the champion is over and you're forced into a new very small selection of cars. The event restrictions aren't broad enough. I'm doing a German saloon event ATM and you only have the choice of 3 cars

Bingo!!!!!!!

Elysium44

Banned
Phil needs to go. Destroying Halo is the biggest tragedy to happen under this moron. Forza being so lacking is on him too. I can't believe that between Starfield and Forza, the Xbox isn't "back" in 2023. This was supposed to finally be the year the ship would be righted but it's not. Forza should look like that original trailer but it feels like we were lied to. Next gen only racing game that kinda sorta looks a bit better than gt7 at times. Can't believe between Halo Infinite, Redfall, Starfield and now Forza people don't have their pitchforks our for Xbox leadership.

Oh we were lied to, there's no feel about it. It's straight up false advertising. But Turn 10 have always done this, they just aren't an honest company.

Elysium44

Banned

Surely this can't be what they wanted?

Microsoft says they support actions to tackle climate change etc. and are a green company, yet they produce products like this which literally encourage you to leave your console on, consuming electricity for no reason whatsoever other than to complete pointless busywork so you can upgrade your car and play the way you actually want to. Dumb as rocks. But it will go down in their metrics as 'engagement' and they will brag about it in a press release. GaaS really is cancerous.

Electricity isn't free either so basically it's costing real money (not a lot but it all adds up) to level up each car.

(If you didn't watch the video, it tells you how to make your car do 20 laps by driving itself, without you playing.)

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
OK, finally fired this up on my aging logitech g920 as my fanatec hasn't arrived.

All I can say is, WOW. They finally did it! Game feels awesome even on this wheel. I've done the three opening racers in my scooby sti and I'm very happy with the racing. They've finally nailed it. Got it all right with penalties etc. I'm now just waiting for the crash to earth once I get into the meat and potato's and find out how absolute shite the progression system and lackluster campaign is.

Popping out for some lunch but looking forward to getting in on some online action to see how that is. Hopefully every ones racing properly.

This was the game I bought the series X for launch
But when I saw the lvling up system I decided not to get the premium add-ons because of how stupid the leveling system is
If I have 2 same cars atleast have them both fully lvled when I lvled one of them
What and who the fuck thought that was a good idea to lvl the same car again and again

Oh we were lied to, there's no feel about it. It's straight up false advertising. But Turn 10 have always done this, they just aren't an honest company.

^^^ THAT is the game we were supposed to be getting. Remember, it was shown at the Xbox Conference. That means this was supposed to be Series X gameplay and that the PC would be even better. Of course a week later they had to admit it was in fact PC footage. So the lies started flowing early on with Turn 10.

It's honestly almost EVERY AAA/AA developer in the in industry that's deceitful in some way. I think it all starts from the top with MS and Sony tacitly encouraging developers to be misleading. Most common is showing PC footage passed off as console on the storefronts. MS and Sony's "hands off policy" is very convenient for all parties involved.

I guess some companies just have the gall to lie boldfaced to us. The CD Project Reds, sadly now the Naughty Dogs (LoU1 Remake), Turn 10 etc

As long as they're all in on it together (and have shill Youtubers in their pocket) then they'll keep getting away with it. This is why I have no love for Digital Foundry who should really be calling them out on their false advertising.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Not really no.Do we have to turn into sad football fans who stand outside the football ground with banners wanting the manager gone. Don't get me wrong I like football but do we really have to be that invested.

Not really no.Do we have to turn into sad football fans who stand outside the football ground with banners wanting the manager gone. Don't get me wrong I like football but do we really have to be that invested.

Yeah we do apparently. You think I want to? It's taken how many years for some fanboy Xbox people to even begin to question Phils handling of Xbox

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I'm one of the few who loves the upgrade system then.

For duplicate cars just do a few time attack/rivals events, you'll upgrade the car level in no time.

Also going back to the "polygonal seams" issue, Suzuka East is seriously bad for it. Along the start finish straight and round the first corner there are multiple of them flashing up and then one huge one just before the first sector marker, extremely off-putting.
I get where you're coming from as I don't like games where everything is gifted to you easily. But just let me buy parts for another of the same car once I have unlocked them.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I'm playing FM4 on my old, scratched and dusty 360. Campaign in that game is so, so, so much better. World tour is so well made. The way the world map moves from place to place and zooms to the track. The music. The fact that you can select from 1 out of 3 different 'themes' for each event. I'm in Expert Division but I can still use the same BMW M3 I almost started with because one of the events is BodyStyle Sedan. The other 2 are North America Tour S class and Mustang vs. Camaro Challenge.

There are 290 different 'themes'. A theme can be for example 'Audi TT Club'. Or ' Euro Sedans'. Or 'Hybrid Drivetrains'. Etc. Each theme has 3, 4 or 5 races, 1 if it's a showcase (which is rare) or more if it's a professional league.

It's packed with content. Absolutely packed.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

He kind of has a point. Since practice session is optional there should be an option to skip it by default for people who don't want to participate. All these cut scenes at the beginning of the race and 'driver showcase' (fucking cringe) should also be optional. If you want to skip all of that, there's a lot of loading screens. Compare it to FM4. Select race. Press A. Loading screen. Menu where you can tune your car, etc. Press A to start and it's 3, 2, 1... GO!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Microsoft says they support actions to tackle climate change etc. and are a green company, yet they produce products like this which literally encourage you to leave your console on, consuming electricity for no reason whatsoever other than to complete pointless busywork so you can upgrade your car and play the way you actually want to. Dumb as rocks. But it will go down in their metrics as 'engagement' and they will brag about it in a press release. GaaS really is cancerous.

Electricity isn't free either so basically it's costing real money (not a lot but it all adds up) to level up each car.

742171.jpg

I'm sorry I had to, this is reaching borderline "look at that bitch eating crackers" level of criticism here now :messenger_tears_of_joy:

^^^ THAT is the game we were supposed to be getting. Remember, it was shown at the Xbox Conference. That means this was supposed to be Series X gameplay and that the PC would be even better. Of course a week later they had to admit it was in fact PC footage. So the lies started flowing early on with Turn 10.

It's honestly almost EVERY AAA/AA developer in the in industry that's deceitful in some way. I think it all starts from the top with MS and Sony tacitly encouraging developers to be misleading. Most common is showing PC footage passed off as console on the storefronts. MS and Sony's "hands off policy" is very convenient for all parties involved.

I guess some companies just have the gall to lie boldfaced to us. The CD Project Reds, sadly now the Naughty Dogs (LoU1 Remake), Turn 10 etc

As long as they're all in on it together (and have shill Youtubers in their pocket) then they'll keep getting away with it. This is why I have no love for Digital Foundry who should really be calling them out on their false advertising.
Right, but it doesn't even look like that on PC. :messenger_grinning_sweat: I'd say the PC version is pretty much the Series X version as far as assets go with the ability to bump RT up a little bit and a few other tweaks. But as far as textures and assets go, probably the same.

Last edited:

Seems like this was rushed for launch, even with 6 years of development.

Yup this part makes no sense what so ever. I start to level up a car but finish the series at around level 30 ish. the only way i can take it further is by re-runing the series as there are no other events for that car. Its like they chopped out 70% of the builders cup.

Unless im missing something of course. Are there more events other than those that are visible in the menu's that maybe become available later on?
You can race the car in anyway you want and it levels up. Free play, rivals, online, etc. so the career events are not the only way.

Skifi28

Gold Member
I'm playing FM4 on my old, scratched and dusty 360. Campaign in that game is so, so, so much better. World tour is so well made. The way the world map moves from place to place and zooms to the track. The music. The fact that you can select from 1 out of 3 different 'themes' for each event. I'm in Expert Division but I can still use the same BMW M3 I almost started with because one of the events is BodyStyle Sedan. The other 2 are North America Tour S class and Mustang vs. Camaro Challenge.

There are 290 different 'themes'. A theme can be for example 'Audi TT Club'. Or ' Euro Sedans'. Or 'Hybrid Drivetrains'. Etc. Each theme has 3, 4 or 5 races, 1 if it's a showcase (which is rare) or more if it's a professional league.

It's packed with content. Absolutely packed.
Yup, FM4 was peak turn10. Ever since then it's been two steps forward and three back.

DanielG165

While I’m waiting for Tuesday, I decided to load up FM6 again, and goodness me what a game this was/still is. It really felt like there was a ton of effort, love, care, and charm put into this, alongside quality. I don’t remember hearing about any issues with the game upon release; it was just solid from the beginning. It’s pure unadulterated Forza Motorsport in the best way possible.

For me, and this is my opinion from having not played FM8 yet, FM6 and Forza Horizon 3 were the last two games where you really felt like Turn 10 and PG poured their hearts into the respective products they were making, and it shows. FH3 maxed out looks absolutely stunning and damn near rivals the likes of The Crew Motorfest, and FM6 just feels great to play. The sound quality isn’t as good as FM5, but I digress. Do later titles look better? Sure. Horizon 5 looks bonkers, and FM7 looks great as well. But, Horizon 3 and Motorsport 6 both have a type of charm and love and quality that those games can’t match imo.

I’m still really looking forward to playing Motorsport 8 this week, but as a 2080 Super owner… I’m not feeling all that confident.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Did 2 out of the three required online races....really, really effing enjoyed it.

I don't know how long I'll be interested but it's great fun with the g920. Just need my fanatec rig to turn up so I can play this, gt7, assetto, f123 and wrc.

clarky

Banned
You can race the car in anyway you want and it levels up. Free play, rivals, online, etc. so the career events are not the only way.
But i want to play the career and online so my point stands the way things are structured in this game the levelling system is fucking stupid and actively works against the player. Playing the career and leveled up a car to 25? Tough shit if you want to take it any further bar doing the same event or timetrials. There should be multiple events in the builder cup for every class of car. Like I said its fucking stupid and can't be defended.

Don't get me wrong the racing is fucking superb online, everything else not so much.

Last edited:

clarky

Banned

Seems like this was rushed for launch, even with 6 years of development.
This wasn't in development for 6 years. Try 3 tops.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This wasn't in development for 6 years. Try 3 tops.
I will add this statement from

• Dan Greenawalt, General Manager, Forza Motorsport at Turn 10 Studios

Let’s talk a little bit more about what Forza Motorsport is at its core. We’ve used the period since our last launch to innovate, redevelop, and refocus on the very core of the game. The entire experience of racing at the limit, improving your skill, building up your car, and competing on the track have been completely rethought. Our goal was to create a live, connected, immersive, accessible, and ever-changing competitive racing platform that will evolve and grow with our community. We’ve created a more competitive, accurate, and rewarding racing experience thanks to huge, foundational improvements in our physics and AI – more than all previous Motorsports combined. If you know Forza, you will feel the difference immediately. 

So yeah they have been working on this game in some capacity since their last launch in 2017

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2023/09/28/forza-motorsport-horizon-launch/

I will add this statement from

• Dan Greenawalt, General Manager, Forza Motorsport at Turn 10 Studios

Let’s talk a little bit more about what Forza Motorsport is at its core. We’ve used the period since our last launch to innovate, redevelop, and refocus on the very core of the game. The entire experience of racing at the limit, improving your skill, building up your car, and competing on the track have been completely rethought. Our goal was to create a live, connected, immersive, accessible, and ever-changing competitive racing platform that will evolve and grow with our community. We’ve created a more competitive, accurate, and rewarding racing experience thanks to huge, foundational improvements in our physics and AI – more than all previous Motorsports combined. If you know Forza, you will feel the difference immediately. 

So yeah they have been working on this game in some capacity since their last launch in 2017

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2023/09/28/forza-motorsport-horizon-launch/
Either they're incompetent or there is something really bad going on with the management.

Nemesisuuu

It's only allowing me to play the first series "the builders cup" . The rest of Career is blocked and says I have to wait 4 more days (shows a countdown)

You're telling me other people don't have this and can play more?
You are missing something, when you finish first cup under modern tab you unlock cup under enthusiast tab. If you just finished featured, that one doesn't unlock anything as it is in let's say 'seasonals' they will put online periodically. Of course, you have first to finish introduction cup to be able to progress further, after that one is one with hot hatches.

nick776

Why are more people not disappointed in the total lack of music of any kind during races? I've never played a racing game with no music whatsoever like this. It feels like a half-measure, something to cut corners and get it done fast. Also, although I generally prefer my Series X over my PS5, playing GT7 with DualSense feels like the superior experience to me (that, and I actually think GT7 LOOKS better also). There is just something about the graphics on Forza Motorsport that seem "off" to me. I can't quite put my finger on it though.

clarky

Banned
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but sadly Motorsport is all Turn 10 does and this is what we got unless most of the team went on vacation for 3 years
Oh im not arguing with you fella. I just look at what they have released and this can't have taken 6 years. Rebooted maybe?

I know they helped with Halo and COVID etc but this is their worst effort by far.

Edit: The Handling model and the online saves this from being a complete disaster. When it works it works really well. I though MS would have learned there lesson with Redfall but nope, here we are. Its not like they are desparate for a release putting this off till say march and nobody would have batted an eye..

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Putting this on Covid is very weak, its not like working from home makes you do your work poorly. Since 2019 I have been working from home and many choose as well. I would say that within my only circle, our work improved if anything.

clarky

Banned
Putting this on Covid is very weak, its not like working from home makes you do your work poorly. Since 2019 I have been working from home and many choose as well. I would say that within my only circle, our work improved if anything.
Go you, but Covid clearly had an effect on the whole industry. I don't know what you do but I'd think anything that creative that's requires a team benefits from everybody being in the same room.

Last edited:

artsi

Agreed. Excellent games have been released that were developed during COVID. I refuse to give a pass for that reason.

Top Bottom