• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forgotten games you were an unambiguous boss at.

I can tell from other posts here that plenty of NeoGAF posters are my age or older, so to me that means there are entire console generations, entire graphics cards epoch, entire gaming dynasties out there that we have collectively played the hell out of.

I'm wondering if your younger self was, at some point, a colossal badass at a game that is now forgotten. Like, if you were to sit down with new friends today and play this game together they would finish the gaming sesh saying you "should go pro" and "i think they will play this professionally in South Korea" or something~

For me..

SSX 3: Recently returned to this in Dolphin and i can confirm that I'm TUB at this game. I went on YouTube to look at speed runs and while i never bothered to find hacky routes (like falling off the edge of the world to respawn 500m down the track and stuff) i was definitely as quick as them through the course proper. And my Big Air totals etc were equally awesome. Who cares?!

Unreal Tournament: This game was made for me, from the moment my clumsy ass self picked it up and started jumping around that zero-g level on top of the three towers i became Muhammed "I'm 'ard" Bruce Lee, going entire games without dying, topping charts, and i wowed covens of new friends in 3 different countries i lived in over the next 5 years or so.

Global Operations: This was a really fun Counter Strike clone with upgraded graphics and a slightly different take on, everything.. anyway, like Unreal Tournament there was a time when i just lived within my character in FPSs and couldn't die. This is funny because i haven't seriously played an fps aside from Deus Ex Human Revolution/MD since the 00s~

see also: True Crime, Streets of LA; Red Faction 2; MOHAA; Operation Flashpoint

I can tell from other posts here that plenty of NeoGAF posters are my age or older,
Don't assume that.

Capture.jpg

Joking aside, I was a badass in Unreal Tournament back in the day. And also Quake live. None of my friends could've beat me.
That also goes for Unreal tournament 2k4 and UT Pre Alpha.

Last edited:
Forgotten games? When I was very young I was an absolute monster at N.Gen Racing for PS1, I think a pretty obscure game made by ex Psygnosis devs iirc.
Really, I never "mastered" a racing game like I did for that game.

Crimsom Skies. Was number 2 on the leaderboards for the first few months before I stopped playing.
That game was amazing. I think it was the best take is aerial combat I've ever played.. something in me thinks if they made an open world hybrid of that and BioShock Infinite it would be a GOAT in either genre :p i loved the air brakes and the imaginative levels etc~ and the combat was awesome yeah

Codes 208

None of my friends or their their friends could beat me when i played as Ultimate Gohan in Raging Blast 2

Last edited:
Before online multiplayer, I was the fuckin king at Soul Calibur 2. No one stood a chance against my Raphael and his parrys. Also the og SSB. I was mario, just TOYIN with people and the quick grabs. I remember the bus ride home some kid was talking game, and no one could beat his donkey kong. PShhhhhh, he straight up ate my ass.

Last edited:

Iorv3th

I was pretty damn good at SOCOM 1 & 2. Probably played more of 2 though. Strangley I played with a really fucking weird controller layout in that game and for me it made my aim/movement way more precise and I was a lot better like that. I couldn't get any of my other friends I knew that played games at that time to even get into the game and thought it was weird. One point I was pretty high on the Socom 2 leader boards.

EctoPrime

I would say that I was easily within the top 50 players in the multiplayer mode of Time Crisis: Razing Storm. It was the a Call of Duty inspired game with cover mechanics. I played so much of it that I could accurately predict the locations of the other players and even figured out that the player turning speed lets you hide behind them in a blindspot.

For about six months my PS3 inbox was flooded with match invites and a few angry messages about cheating after I destroyed their team by myself.

I also thought I was pretty good at Wipeout HD. Turns out being good enough to get a Platinum trophy equals above average online when high level players showup. With those races the only time I won was with luck from item pickups.

There were some Mario party mini games where I would consistently get perfect scores at. The face matching/shifting one on mp1 and and the eatza pizza mini games.

bender

What time is it?
For the most part, online gaming has shown me how bad I am at competitive games. lol

Konami's Run and Gun. Secretly the best arcade basketball game of all time and I say that loving the NBA Jam series. I spent many hours and won sharpening my skills in Korean arcades during the 90s.

After a long career of being middling in MechWarrior 3 online, me and a buddy dominated in MechWarrior 4 from the beta onward to the final release. We retired 97-3 in StarLance play. Now I'm having flashbacks of The Zone, Microsoft Game Voice and the Saitek x35/36 controller (always had to have a second on hand due to snapping the rudder controls since those controller torso twist).

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Lots of old school shooters........ Thunderforces, Contras, Axelays, MUSHA etc..... although I always had trouble with Truxton. Those old shooters were so easy even on the hardest difficulty after you get the hang of it after a few nights.

Problem with those old shooters is the devs always gave stupidly OP weapons and bosses that could be killed in 5 seconds. Not sure why they always did that.

In the arcade, I could play Mat Mania (TWA Wrestling) sometimes forever. Only had to worry about Co Co Savage spamming elbows. The sequel was even easier.

And best of all...... not hard to do. Used to play this with my bro's in the early 80s. Was too young back then, but played it more and then on emulator in the 2000s. Was a beast. Loved it even as a kid. No wonder I went to business school.

Last edited:

Poordevil

TRZBfte.png

Before Dark Souls, before Ninja Gaiden, there was Maximo Ghosts to Glory on Playstation 2. It was the first really challenging game I ever encountered. Stuggled with it in the beginning, but I enjoyed the game and endeavored to persevere. Eventually I beat it, then went on to pretty much master it. It was a good game and I had fun playing through it multiple times, getting better and better at it.

small_law

Resistance Fall of Man. I got really into it and I'm still salty the sequals crippled that franchise. I might be the only one that feels this way, but I'll die on this hill.

Audioout

I don't know about it being forgotten but I was top 10 in the world ranking at Garou Mark of the Wolves on Xbox360 for the months I played online. No idea why that game clicked for me, I'm not that great at any other fighting game.

Although I had never considered myself truly great at that game, I did finish Guardian Heroes, on the Saturn, on Hard, without using a continue.
It was only years later, when the Internet was actually a thing, that I learned that this game was considered to be pretty hard; and even later, when the X360 remake was released, that I learned how stats really worked, and that I was actually doing everything wrong... So I guess, if I could finish such a hard game in the hardest setting while still putting my stat points in the wrong place, I probably *was* actually pretty good at it?

Last edited:

TwoHearted

Neo Member
I felt unstoppable on call of duty 4 and halo 3 multiplayer. But for forgotten games ...probably 1080 snowboarding on N64, i remember bossing it with my disturbed cd playing in the background.

also Demons Souls was a cakewalk for me, the rest I found extremely hard, including bloodborne. Sekiro too, made you feel like a badass till you’ll had to fight the first challenging enemy.

I was a boss at GTAIV. I platted that game and dedicated my time to helping others get their online trophies. I remember basically soloing a co-op mission that required you to fly in a heli to a building and clearing that building of enemies before a time limit.

mcz117chief

I was in the 100-200 bracket in World in Conflict back in the days. So many hours spent playing normal and organized games. I love it so much. I still play it from time to time to reminisce and enjoy the amazing campaign.

I was in the 100-200 bracket in World in Conflict back in the days. So many hours spent playing normal and organized games. I love it so much. I still play it from time to time to reminisce and enjoy the amazing campaign.
Spiritual successor to Ground Control, my all time favourite land based 3D RTS, in my mind World in Conflict was simply perfection~

I was pretty damn good at Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, and Gamespy knew it! :p
Except maybe that isn't a forgotten game...although Gamespy is.

I also was a boss-level Paladin in Ragnarok Online. I read my name a few times in Prontera chat from people I never met. That's cool.

Thief Deadly Shadows. That game helped me in real life too.
I'm a pro thief now.
That game got so much hate by series fans but i was sooo immersed in it.. the levels were tiny to accommodate the xbox but, man that game was atmospheric... I was really glad when i started to notice little by little that Dishonored owed a lot of stuff to it, seemingly directly~ Garrett was back!

I was pretty damn good at Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, and Gamespy knew it! :p
Except maybe that isn't a forgotten game....

Pretty forgotten I'd say! But for sure there was a time when it was the CoD of its era~ i remember it was everything in Berlin that want CS until Battlefield 1942 was just so much bigger and prettier...

Last edited:

Romulus

Not forgotten but Batman AA I had several top 20 times on the predator challenges and fighting sections.

Forza Horizon 3 I has several top 10 times on tracks without the ebrake cheating.

mcz117chief

Spiritual successor to Ground Control, my all time favourite land based 3D RTS, in my mind World in Conflict was simply perfection~
When it comes to modern RTS I fell in love with the Command and Conquer series and Age of Empires 2. When it comes to C&C it was mostly Red Alert 2 which got replaced by Generals a few years later. After that, I switched Generals for Ground Control 2 and Dawn of War (both 2004 games), mostly it was Dawn of War. Today, when I want to play an RTS, I mostly go for World in Conflict or the Dawn of War series. I still play other RTS games as well (Wargames, GC2, Generals, Age of Empires 2, Total War etc.).

edit: Ever heard of Joint Task Force?

Last edited:
That game got so much hate by series fans but i was sooo immersed in it.. the levels were tiny to accommodate the xbox but, man that game was atmospheric... I was really glad when i started to notice little by little that Dishonored owed a lot of stuff to it, seemingly directly~ Garrett was back!

Pretty forgotten I'd say! But for sure there was a time when it was the CoD of its era~ i remember it was everything in Berlin that want CS until Battlefield 1942 was just so much bigger and prettier...

Yeah, it was pretty big. It was like the last FPS I played online (on my first DSL line too! That shit just arrived in time for me in Germany I guess. :p) I put that many hours into. Aside from CS, which I usually played offline in LAN-parties.

Nowadays I don't even play multiplayer FPS anymore. I lost the skille, reflexes and most importantly the interest.

. After that, I switched Generals for Ground Control 2
Did you ever play the first ground control? It was really polished and legitimately industry defining.. it blew my little mind whole kilometers away lol... AoE2 definitely my most played RTS of all time. I reckon dark crusade was the best dawn of war iteration~ my most recent full on RTS love affair was total war Warhammer 2.

My favourite c&c games are Tiberian Wars and, of course, RA and RA2...

Last edited:

Eimran

I was very good at Uncharted 2 multiplayer mode. I got a 4,1 K/D ratio which was far above average in that game.

mcz117chief

Did you ever play the first ground control? It was really polished and legitimately industry defining.. it blew my little mind whole kilometers away lol... AoE2 definitely my most played RTS of all time. I reckon dark crusade was the best dawn of war iteration~ my most recent full on RTS love affair was total war Warhammer 2.

My favourite c&c games are Tiberian Wars and, of course, RA and RA2...
Yeah, I played the 1st one too. It isn't bad it's just that the second is way better. I might re-play it sometime to see if maybe I was a bit too hard on it.

And when it comes to Dawn of War then obviously Soulstorm is the best since it has the most races but if we are talking story mode then Winter Assault is the most fun.

Last edited:
Top Bottom