• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forgotten games that no one talks about anymore.

VN1X

Banned
Lost_Odyssey_cover.jpg
One of the battle songs still get stuck in my head to this day! A very enjoyable JRPG with an even better soundtrack. Wish it had gotten the sequel it deserved. :messenger_crying:

Last edited:

Joramun

i remember playing a demo of this game on the dreamcast. it didnt impress me like those other jrpgs at the time so i never gave it a shot but i've always wanted to see what the hype was about. what other games does this game remind you of?
It's probably really obvious, but I can't put my finger on it. Fable maybe?

KiteGr

i feel like jade cocoon doesn't get as much respect as it should.

Jade_Cocoon.jpg
It's because of the crappie American cover.
The Pal one was much better.
1844221-jade-cocoon-story-of-the-tamamayu-playstation-front-cover.jpg

It's Clock Tower's spiritual successor.
They had a lot of balls basing the pursuers ot types of rapists rather than generic murderers.

For my vote I would add Evil Zone.
SLES-01903-F-ALL.jpg

A "fighting" game where you control ripoffs of popular anime and each button "does something cool".

• Love
Reactions: K2D

Krathoon

N64 emulation is still dodgy. It baffles me.
Haunting Ground taps into some genuine fears.

Last edited:

CamHostage

SkyGunner is an adorable and enjoyable flight-action game with three characters, big and petty worlds in the sky, cool flight mechanics, great effects, and a rewarding points system. It has a lot of early-PS2 graphics issues (slowdown and aliasing, if i remember right?) and never produced a proper sequel or improved port (theres an on-rails spiritual successor but this was open levels.) Probably well worth looking up with enhanced emulation to smooth out the old technical issues.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Ag70BVJ.jpg

Underrated gem from the PS360 era. You fight against the Nazis and blow up their infrastructure. It's plays like a GTA where you run around the open world, liberating areas from the Germans by blowing shit up. Has a pretty cool visual flair, where occupied areas are in black and white, and when you liberate them, they get back the color. Would love a sequel, or even a remaster.

Heh my friend worked on that game

As for my pick...i was just thinking the other day that we havent had a new Culdcept game since Revolt on the 3DS and that was over 7 years ago...i wish that doesnt mean the franchise is dead.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Loved that game. I wish Chris Taylor was making more of them. Think it's been well over a decade since he made a strategy game.

Pretty sure the Supreme Commander series was his last RTS game.

His studio did announce a fantasy RTS called Kings and Castles in 2010, but the game ended up cancelled and unfortunately another potential great was lost 😭

Am playing through this right now. It has fantastic set dressing, aesthetics, world design. I think that's the main wow factor with it. The combat is kind of Arkham-esque, but not as "good" (natural feeling, or intuitive, or something), the traversal is Assassin's Creed-esque, but a bit more on rails. The memory remixing is interesting, but I can see why it's appears occasionally. Overall, it's interesting enough that I'm putting up with combat I don't particularly gel with. A sequel probably would have ironed out a lot of the kinks, but it's doubtful that will happen.

DKPOWPOW

Mission: Impossible (N64)

Game was a blast back when I was a kid.

John Woo’s Stranglehold (X360)

A genuine stunner, and one of the last great Max Payne styled shoot em up games. This genre seems to have died with Max Payne 3.

Biker Mice From Mars (SNES)

I’ll always remember playing this game with my dad. Fun racing game based on the old cartoon.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Came to make this joke, but wanted to confirm if someone actually remembered it.

BTW amazing game imo, played it on PC maxed are 1080p and it probably ruined my perception of "next gen" looking game when 8th gen was announced, it looks so good, human characters models aside it is basically a borderline 8th gen game graphically.

j0hnnix

Tribes 2. One of my favorite shooters.

A third was released by Hi-Rez Studios, T:A which was held back by the progression system they put in, I completely ignored the 3rd.

4L8RDME.jpg

SCB3

A few more from me, people miss Handheld titles despite how good there are:

• New Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Kirbys Epic Yarn
  • Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks
  • Mercury
  • Metal Gear Ac!d 1 and 2

kuncol02

Banned
Tribes 2. One of my favorite shooters.

A third was released by Hi-Rez Studios, T:A which was held back by the progression system they put in, I completely ignored the 3rd.

4L8RDME.jpg
Ascend was fourth game (fifth if you count PS2 one and 11th in whole Metaltech universe). It had like 3 different progression systems through it's short life and that's shame because under all that garbage was genuinely great game. We really neat sequel for it. Not many things in gaming is as satisfying as hitting someone midair in full speed with exploding disk.
Third one (Tribes: Vengeance) was made by Irrational Games and had full blown singleplayer campaign with multiple playable characters.

j0hnnix

Not many things in gaming is as satisfying as hitting someone midair in full speed with exploding disk.
Third one (Tribes: Vengeance) was made by Irrational Games and had full blown singleplayer campaign with multiple playable characters.
I completely forgot about Vengeance!

The full speed sliding down the mountain side and dropping that disk on their face.. sweetness. The 1 v 1 made it so satisfying.. Only time I found 1 v 1 exciting.

Lunarorbit

db4438eec8aa988983cf2b0a7aa81229.jpg

Never played the first one. Didn't believe the hype when Joseph Gordon-Levitt came out. Don't give a shit except that it beat duke nukem forever.

All jail the king baby

Last edited:
Medal of Honor 2010.
The only game based on the war in Afghanistan, Operation Anaconda and the Battle for Robert's Ridge.
It's also pretty historically accurate, especially the last couple missions.
You can actually watch the real video of the battle on youtube as John Chapman is the first Medal of Honor recipient ever captured on film performing his duty and being killed in action.

Spyxos

Before Batman Arkham Knight,

before Batman Arkham City,

and before Batman Arkham Asylum,

Rocksteady's very first game,

AEwo86dFktIfLRM2oVbFSITovNlL4uhqpV90jZuP0xl8Sci2uD1pxiAnJnNKz-3ifN3eRWZZS9U9t1A

a very arcady shooter with firefighting sequences and a lot of gore for the time.

a very unique shooter imo and an incredibly fun one too.
Never heard of it, but you've got me interested. Probably not playable today?

Banned
Never heard of it, but you've got me interested. Probably not playable today?

playable in what sense? it's not backwards compatible sadly if you mean that. but it runs relatively well on PCSX2 and you can unlock it to run at 60fps

Spyxos

I just saw the Xbox cover and wondered if it would run on my Series X. I tried PCSX2 with True Crime and other PS2 games, but somehow it doesn't work well for me, even though the PC is relatively new.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
The Ar Tonelico games.

Honestly any game that creates a unique written and phonic alphabet for their ingame magic system deserves more conversation. I do actually talk about it to people to this day, especially the second game.

On the flipside no one mentions this series.

4ZC3Wqq.jpg

HdCYcxv.jpg

uN38p2C.jpg

Fuga ain't even that old... and is even getting a sequel. BUT NO ONE TALKS ABOUT IT!

Last edited:
Top Bottom