• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC gamers - talk to me about liquid cooled systems.

Is a liquid cooled PC worth the additional cost/setup/maintenance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
AIOs are super easy to set up, arguably easier than an air cooler. And there's a lot of decent AIOs out there that aren't really much more expensive than a decent air cooler.

Arctic Liquid AIOs for example are cheap, perform incredibly well, and are easy to install.

nikos

Haven't run a full loop but a good AIO with good case fans will be silent during regular use and pretty quiet while gaming. If you use headphones while gaming, it's a non-issue.

Definitely go with an AIO for the CPU if you aren't interested in a completely liquid cooled system.

Buggy Loop

I always go air. Fuck liquid cooling.

Noctua and it's silent. Easy maintenance. If anything goes wrong you still have a massive heatsink that will take the hit. There's almost no gains for liquid cooling unless you want RGB liquids everywhere and make it a showcase, which I don't.

S0ULZB0URNE

akbingo-fast-handwave.gif

No!

Proper air cooling is more than sufficient.
Way less maintenance(HEAT)noise and never a worry of a loop leaking.

Now if you are doing a big overclock than that's another discussion.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’m all for air cooling.

The last thing I need is a failing pump, leakage inside my PC. I know it looks pretty, but from my research they don’t last.

And get a well ventilated case. Some designs are mind boggling with three fans sitting behind glass.

Last edited:

Del_X

Lots of people voted no. I voted yes because liquid cooling is basically like legos now. It's way easier than in the past and there's kits that look nice and clean.

Your components don’t really last longer unless the cooling is done incorrectly. A liquid cooled cpu/gpu won’t necessarily oc much better either, silicon lottery, etc. That said I think aio liquid cooling is usually worth the extra $100-200 when building a pc, just for piece of mind.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Building a custom loop system was probably the biggest mistake I've ever made in PCs. I had a bunch of Swiftech stuff that cooled the CPU and the GPU. It looked pretty cool at first, but then came the downsides:

1) It's not actually quieter. You still have fans attached to the radiators to cool them, and you also have the noise of the water pump to contend with. It's not loud, but it's louder than good case fans would be.
2) It gets grimy. You will have to clean out the tubing or replace it altogether at some point, because grime will accumulate in there and your system won't look nearly as good once that develops. There's stuff you can put in the loop to reduce the problem, but it's still going to happen.
3) It is a pain in the ass. Setting the loop up in the first place is an arduous process. Filling and draining the water is a nuisance (made worse depending on how accommodating your case is to monkeying around with pump). Getting rid of all the bubbles from the water is also a pain. It's not a set-it-and-forget-it solution, so don't bother if you're looking for something that's hassle free.
4) It's expensive. If you're going custom, it costs a lot, and even minor stuff like the fittings between the tubes and the components is pretty pricey. Definitely make sure you've fully priced it out beforehand.
5) It leaked. I guess Swiftech's reliability went down the toilet at some point, because my system developed leaks. The CPU cooler leaked first, and there were some drops of water that were falling out of the cooler's casing and onto the GPU waterblock. I had to get two replacements before I had one that worked properly. This wasn't an installation issue on my part - this was a leak that actually developed in the waterblock, itself. Then the pump started to go. I replaced that, and the new one was fine, except that the pump started getting really loud at some point. Great. Oh, and then that third CPU waterblock I mentioned? About 6 months later, that one started leaking, too, and ended up taking out my motherboard.

So basically, I'd recommend never getting into it. It's an overly expensive, comparatively risky solution that has no significant benefits other than extending your e-peen. Hell, even the temps I was getting weren't significantly better than air cooling, and it's not like that matters in this day and age where overclocking is frankly pretty pointless. An AIO for the CPU is probably fine, but I went back to a giant bequiet air cooler and haven't had a single problem since - it's quieter and performs just as well for like 99.9% of systems.

Zug

Short answer : custom loops, no, unless you're into plumbing somehow. AIO : depends, in smaller cases they might be a better option to cool higer-end components (CPU and/or GPU). In most situations, AIOs will be louder than air cooling in a standard well enough ventillated case.

calistan

I’ve got an AIO water cooler from Lian Li, and it’s great. The only issue is the vibration - it makes a rhythmic pulsing noise that can be heard through the floorboards downstairs when standing directly under it.

Buggy Loop

Stumbled on this today and reminded me of this thread

The cumulative gunk, even on AIO, and the multiple failures/recall of previous companies on them... fuccckkkk that.

Air cooling is so simple.

water-cooling is more effective than air cooling.
water absorbs heat a lot better than air, which is why cars are water-cooled.
water-coolers can also use larger radiators than an air cooler, so more surface area for the fans to hit = better cooling.

the loudest component tends to be the GPU (hot + tiny stock fans).
if you want a cool, quiet GPU, you water-cool it via waterblock and custom loop.
way better than air.
but that's expensive, relatively complicated, and somewhat risky.

AIOs are a mixed bag.
you need to research the individual model to see how it performs.
the best AIOs will beat the best air-coolers, but they'll cost more and are bigger.
plus they only cool the CPU.
on the plus side, they can mounted to a case's exhaust, so they dont dump heat into the case, allowing the GPU to get the coldest air.

air-coolers are inexpensive and very performant these days thanks to heat pipes and large fins/large fans.
a big air-cooler + large quiet fans will do most people fine.
they dump hot air into the case but it's not a big deal.

Leonidas

Had an AIO for years, never had any issue. Keeps my overclocked 13th Gen CPU cool.

If I go air next time it will be to use larger sized GPUs (my front radiator limits GPU size a bit).

I wouldn't go custom personally because I wouldn't want to dill with all the stuff that goes into it, but I do respect those nice looking builds that use them.

I did the AIO thing a few years ago. I was surprised how noisy the pump got sometimes. Not the fans to cool the radiator. The water pump itself. I thought I had a faulty one so I replaced it. But it was still noisy compared to a simple large diameter fan. Especially when the machine is just sitting there idle, it is louder than just air cooling.

Also the other thing people often don't mention is the gurgling sounds they make. For whatever reason there was always some gas in the system. And it would make bubbling or gurgling noises from time to time.

Not opposed to trying it again sometime though. It did look pretty cool inside the case.

Kabelly

AIOs are super easy to set up, arguably easier than an air cooler. And there's a lot of decent AIOs out there that aren't really much more expensive than a decent air cooler.

Arctic Liquid AIOs for example are cheap, perform incredibly well, and are easy to install.
At the time I built my PC it was really no cheaper to buy the Arctic Liquid II than some fan. Easy a great choice I made. It's so quiet. There's the odd time here or there where I will actually hear the liquid when I launch me PC but other than that my PC is so quiet.

Definitely reccommend this one to whomever ends up grabbing one.

Top Bottom