• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forgotten games that no one talks about anymore.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The thing is now it’s all fortnight, call of duty gamers today have zero interest in other games.

Gp1

Before Batman Arkham Knight,

before Batman Arkham City,

and before Batman Arkham Asylum,

Rocksteady's very first game,

AEwo86dFktIfLRM2oVbFSITovNlL4uhqpV90jZuP0xl8Sci2uD1pxiAnJnNKz-3ifN3eRWZZS9U9t1A

a very arcady shooter with firefighting sequences and a lot of gore for the time.

a very unique shooter imo and an incredibly fun one too.

Awesome underdog and way ahead of it's time. I did have some great time on this both on psx and pc.

It was a kind of prototype GTA 3.

Banned
Awesome underdog and way ahead of it's time. I did have some great time on this both on psx and pc.

It was a kind of prototype GTA 3.

wrong game 😅
Eidos simply reused the name Urban Chaos here because they still had the copyright for it, but the game is completely unrelated and was renamed 3 times until they landed on this title.

Banned
Blaster Master: Blasting Again (PS1)

This game is really satisfying and was a great 3D adaptation of Blaster Master.

indeed. I only found out about this one a few years ago and played it on my PSP. that's how forgotten it was.
I only ever knew the 2D ones.

Gp1

wrong game 😅
Eidos simply reused the name Urban Chaos here because they still had the copyright for it, but the game is completely unrelated and was renamed 3 times until they landed on this title.

Ok, so i'll post the other one :messenger_tears_of_joy:

edit. I was going to post both FSW and Freedom fighter but Twinblade Twinblade was seconds faster than me.

So i'll go with this one

The game that Irrational developed between System Shock 2 and Bioshock

Marvel Ultimate Alliance before someone licensed Marvel IP for it :)

Last edited:

Shut0wen

I love Prey. It's my favorite FPS. That's
rbdcXyW.png
, not Arkane's game with the same name. Bethesda really succeeded at not just burying this masterpiece's memory, but replacing it.

I Am Alive is a really kickass game. It's a gritty post-apocalypse, and one of its core mechanics is the ability to intimidate enemies with your gun, even if your gun's not actually loaded. This feature was also shown in E3 trailers for The Last of Us, but never made it into that game's release.

Remember Fuel? That kickass post-apocalyptic racing game with a massive, chill map? I loved that game. Fuck, I wish we had a sequel!
I also really enjoy Mad Riders. Wicked fun arcade ATV racing.
Honestly i loved the original vision for i am alive compared to the final release, game went through a long as dev hell before it was released, originally it was a triple A game before it got cut down to online only

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Everybody at my college was obsessed with this! Back in 2000?

Close. It was 1997, but many people (myself included) were playing the shit out of it still in 2000. It had this cool feature I just remembered where you could download player created units.......or was that a dream? Don't know, but the game fucking rules.

Twinblade

Ok, so i'll post the other one :messenger_tears_of_joy:

edit. I was going to post both FSW and Freedom fighter but Twinblade Twinblade was seconds faster than me.

So i'll go with this one

The game that Irrational developed between System Shock 2 and Bioshock

Marvel Ultimate Alliance before someone licensed Marvel IP for it :)

Since we are in the era of remakes, I would love to see remakes of FSW and Freedom fighters.

Krathoon

For some weird reason, the gog version of Redguard has a thin black line on the screen. The eXoDOS version does not have it.

It is like the 3dfx wrapper on the gog version is not perfect and the eXoDOS people fixed it.

The eXoDOS guys tend to care more about the games running right. They kind of eat gog's lunch sometimes.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

There’s two games that I just randomly remembered.

One was a rockstar game that was basically about rioting in a supermarket…can’t remember the name for the life of me.

And there was a Konami game? Was on PS2 about a clock tower or had a clock tower on the case and had a time travel element , kind of had a silent hill vibe to the cover.

Krathoon

There’s two games that I just randomly remembered.

One was a rockstar game that was basically about rioting in a supermarket…can’t remember the name for the life of me.

And there was a Konami game? Was on PS2 about a clock tower or had a clock tower on the case and had a time travel element , kind of had a silent hill vibe to the cover.
Yeah. I remember the Konami game. It was one of those one off games. It was a weird one. Totally forgot the name.

Edit: Here it is. Shadow of Memories.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

For some weird reason, the gog version of Redguard has a thin black line on the screen. The eXoDOS version does not have it.

It is like the 3dfx wrapper on the gog version is not perfect and the eXoDOS people fixed it.

The eXoDOS guys tend to care more about the games running right. They kind of eat gog's lunch sometimes.
Ya, the GOG version of Redguard runs like shit. The Microsoft Store/PC Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate version runs great. Almost all the Bethesda and id games are on Microsoft PC Store and all the ones I have tried run great.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Ya, the GOG version of Redguard runs like shit. The Microsoft Store/PC Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate version runs great. Almost all the Bethesda and id games are on Microsoft PC Store and all the ones I have tried run great.
I just tried the gog version of Battlespire and the screen was shrunken down. They don't bother to quality control it. I set the video to OpenGL on DOSBox and it scaled right.

mistersurrealist

Neo Member
Ag70BVJ.jpg

Underrated gem from the PS360 era. You fight against the Nazis and blow up their infrastructure. It's plays like a GTA where you run around the open world, liberating areas from the Germans by blowing shit up. Has a pretty cool visual flair, where occupied areas are in black and white, and when you liberate them, they get back the color. Would love a sequel, or even a remaster.
Literally replaying it right now. I'm using custom ReShade filters and I can honestly say it looks great, even in 2023.
The jazzy soundtrack is KILLER. What a fucking crime that EA shut down Pandemic.

Buggy Loop

Fuck it, i played this game many times in early 2000's, had a charm to it, being based on Quake 2 Engine, amazing cast.

Anachronox

c7d993c3aa76f995b5868621bafc5a4a_KR_700.jpg

Western parody take on the jRPG. Amazing cast of characters and funny dialogues. The main character is dumb as fuck.

Last edited:

Bluecondor

Archon on the Commodore 64 was so awesome. It basically was chess, except that all of your pieces could move backwards and forwards. The amazing thing about the game was that every time you made a move against the other player's pieces, you would be sent to a battle arena. The fighting ability of each piece was very similar to chess, in that the equivalent of the pawns were very weak, whereas the equivalent of the King, Queen, Rook, etc. were very substantial and specific to each piece. Single player matches against the computer were very balanced (I always played on regular difficulty), as pawns stood no chance against the higher level pieces and vice-versa. Entire games could be shifted though if you could knock out your opponent's higher level pieces. I played this for hours on end:

https://www.retrogamer.net/retro_games80/archon/

Top Bottom