• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crimson Fleet vs UC SysDef quest chain in Starfield is some of the worst shit I've seen in any role-playing game ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topher

Gold Member
So if you do understand that I'm criticising a very specific outcome that you haven't even experienced and therefore may not get the full picture of what I'm talking about, then why are you being such a dick about it?

Being a dick? Nah.....only time I clapped back at you was when you made up that nonsense that I hadn't even played the game. I and others have tried to reiterate the point that there are multiple approaches to these missions. That's it.

Oh.....and you really should save your game much more often.

Sacha Baron Cohen Thumbs Up GIF by Amazon Prime Video

RIPN2022

I remember the only reason I got this quest was because I stole a plate and got arrested by security.

It was the most immersion breaking introduction to a plotline I've ever encountered. It's hilarious to me how I got put on an undercover assignment just for stealing some cutlery.

RavageX

Yeah so...I did this questline too and enjoyed it a heck of a lot. From what I read....I don't know WTF you were doing. Definitely did not have anywhere near the same outcome, and I did not play this or the game at all so far by using stealth.

Freeman76

I disagree with this. While it isnt particularily well written which by now we should expect from anything Bethesda do, it managed to make me actually feel guilty for the choice I made. Not very many times a game can do that, but as I ripped through a load of people I had beeb doing business with for hours beforehand I genuinely felt a bit grim. Thats good quest design to achieve that.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I'm not really seeing the "worst shit" here. Its an RPG in which your actions had consequences.
The problem with Bethesda games is that the consequences are instant and unforgiving. Accidentally pick up someone's item while putzing around, something any person might do out of boredom, security is gonna come at you. In Skyrim If you got caught breaking into a house all guards everywhere knew it. This is fucking stupid. Less stupid in Starfield where there could be a tech reason, but still fucking stupid.

I got arrested and they took a fucking medpack I looted 10 hours of gameplay ago. Fuck that. Also I can't use the stolen one in my inventory if I have others, or maybe at all. This is shitty, lazy coding. It is not a good game system, especially one in a game that took forever to develop using a system that has been in place for decades. FFS Bethesda Improve shit, stop being lazy fucks.

I'm gonna go play some more so I can find something else to get pissed off at.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Great, and now that I've recovered a bunch of money for them, they damn near trip over themselves to suck me off. "I knew you could do it!" "We wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you!" "Oh please Mr. Drizzle, can I get your autograph on my tits? You're such a hero!"

Okay, that last part didn't happen but god damn, those characters are retarded. It's unbelievable that you guys are giving me so much shit about it, it's like you're doing it just to be a contrarian.

It's 2023 and it feels like Bethesda hasn't progressed one iota in their quest design for the past 20 years.

I remember the only reason I got this quest was because I stole a plate and got arrested by security.

It was the most immersion breaking introduction to a plotline I've ever encountered. It's hilarious to me how I got put on an undercover assignment just for stealing some cutlery.
Thank you. At least one person recognises how stupid this whole premise is.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I think I found your problem
You didn't but you'll get a chocolate coin for trying. Remember to remove the foil before eating.

Also, the alternate suggestion that I ended up following was this:
I just ran to the objective. Didnt shoot anyone while everyone could barely hit me while I was running and completed the mission in 3 minutes.
Truly immersive and ground-breaking mission design, where I can just bolt past any security and run dick-first into a solution, lol.

Woopah

The problem with Bethesda games is that the consequences are instant and unforgiving. Accidentally pick up someone's item while putzing around, something any person might do out of boredom, security is gonna come at you. In Skyrim If you got caught breaking into a house all guards everywhere knew it. This is fucking stupid. Less stupid in Starfield where there could be a tech reason, but still fucking stupid.

I got arrested and they took a fucking medpack I looted 10 hours of gameplay ago. Fuck that. Also I can't use the stolen one in my inventory if I have others, or maybe at all. This is shitty, lazy coding. It is not a good game system, especially one in a game that took forever to develop using a system that has been in place for decades. FFS Bethesda Improve shit, stop being lazy fucks.

I'm gonna go play some more so I can find something else to get pissed off at.
I guess its just different opinions, but I like that player's actions have real consequences.

From I remember about Skyrim, the guards only come if you are actually spotted stealing.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
You didn't but you'll get a chocolate coin for trying. Remember to remove the foil before eating.

Also, the alternate suggestion that I ended up following was this:

Truly immersive and ground-breaking mission design, where I can just bolt past any security and run dick-first into a solution, lol.

If its stupid and it works, it aint stupid. You could technically do this in many games. I dont think you're going to get annoyed by skipping a poorly designed stealth mission like this in a 100 hour game. Just move on, and play the other million quests in the game. Theres a ton of issues the game has, but this aint it chief.

BigLee74

I got half way through the crimson fleet quest line, then got distracted onto another quest line. This ended up with me killing a lot of pirates after they attacked me. I now can’t get anywhere near The Eye without being blasted to bits. Turns out I have amassed a 100000+ credit bounty by the Crimson Fleet. Ouch (but cool).

I have been chewed out once by SysDef for killing innocents, so I guess I had better watch when I pick that questline back up again.

So, sorry you fucked it up OP, but thanks for the warning!

Mod edit: 'maybe you can just merge it with that other one about shitty writing in this game.'

No we won't, because it will mess with the thread flow and timestamps. There was no reason for this to be a seperate thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom