• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crimson Fleet vs UC SysDef quest chain in Starfield is some of the worst shit I've seen in any role-playing game ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'm sorry for making a separate thread out of this, maybe you can just merge it with that other one about shitty writing in this game, but Jesus wept, I was so blown away by the sheer incompetence of what I just witnessed in this game that I'm seriously questioning if there's any point in trying to continue playing it at all. If that's how all those other long-winded quest chains are gonna eventually play out, then this could quite possibly be one of the most poorly made, unsatisfying RPGs that Bethesda has ever crafted.

But let's take a step back for those who don't have the full context. Minor spoilers ahead. Also keep in mind that these are just ongoing impressions of a game that I'm still in the process of playing.

Early on in the game, I got picked up by UC SysDef fleet for carrying contraband, and this triggered a quest line where they essentially cut me a deal to go undercover and infiltrate one of the game's main pirate factions - The Crimson Fleet. One of the stipulations posed by head honcho at SysDef was to avoid killing any civilians or friendly forces while doing my undercover jobs, or else. I think he'll only let you slip up once, but the second time you open fire on an innocent, you're done for. And here is where the absurdity of this quest comes in because there are objectives during this whole quest chain where it's near-impossible to avoid at least one or two fights, with the most asinine objective of all being the one where you have to sneak through some labs on Neon to steal mission-critical data. As far as I was concerned while doing that mission, the security of that corrupt company opened fire at me first, so I was well within my rights to defend myself - so I did. But I was careful not to harm any unarmed scientists, just in case. I also tried sneaking around during that mission but I've no idea how stealth in this game works because they just kept spotting me from my hiding places and it was yet another indicator for me that maybe I was supposed to get into combat with them. After all, they're just corporate private security. But I guess I was wrong because almost three hours later, when I finally came back to the SysDef commander for another debrief, he just immediately flipped out on me and the only thing I could do was to either submit to an arrest, or shoot my way out of there.

The way this scene plays out is also pretty absurd. You can't even talk him down or explain yourself, and the fact that it came at a moment where we were about to attack the Crimson Fleet's base and my next objective was pretty much the ace in the hole for the whole operation, is just ridiculous. Like, calm down dude. Okay, some guards got killed but whatever, I didn't even fire the first shot, I was defending myself. You're just gonna throw a hissy fit and flush the entire operation down the toilet when we're practically at enemy's gates, and about to smoke an entire pirate faction off the face of the galaxy? The hell is wrong with you?

But the biggest disappointment was when I figured that if SysDef is so hell-bent on blowing this whole thing because of their goody two-shoes bullshit, then I'm just gonna go Tony Montana on their ass and murder the entire ship while I make my escape. And I did this while fully expecting that this will be the end of that whole storyline. Because if I'm gonna assassinate the commanders of this faction, then that pretty much puts the nail in the coffin of that entire operation, right?

Right...?

Of course, the head honcho guy and his posse of named NPCs wouldn't just keel over and die. They had to do this asinine Bethesda "ooh I'm hurt and clutching at my tummy while kneeling on the ground" shit, because it would be just too interesting to end the whole thing right there and then. No, they HAD to survive so that the rest of the quest's scripted story could play out, such as the entire goddamned UC SysDef faction now being hostile towards me, my companions despising my ass, and me basically being painted villain and having to deal with attacking UC forces whenever I bump into them. Which is all the time because they're pretty much everywhere around the settled colonies. They are THE main "good guy" faction of the game, and now I'm vilified by them for essentially being curious and following a quest line?

I mean god damn, way to punish me for such a dumb mistake, Bethesda, and not even giving me a chance to maybe go back and correct it before it was much, much too late. Top notch.

It is mind-blowingly bad. To the point where I just had to write a 200 word essay malding over this shit because I couldn't cope otherwise.

SCB3

I'm sorry for making a separate thread out of this, maybe you can just merge it with that other one about shitty writing in this game, but Jesus wept, I was so blown away by the sheer incompetence of what I just witnessed in this game that I'm seriously questioning if there's any point in trying to continue playing it at all. If that's how all those other long-winded quest chains are gonna eventually play out, then this could quite possibly be one of the most poorly made, unsatisfying RPGs that Bethesda has ever crafted.

But let's take a step back for those who don't have the full context. Minor spoilers ahead. Also keep in mind that these are just ongoing impressions of a game that I'm still in the process of playing.

Early on in the game, I got picked up by UC SysDef fleet for carrying contraband, and this triggered a quest line where they essentially cut me a deal to go undercover and infiltrate one of the game's main pirate factions - The Crimson Fleet. One of the stipulations posed by head honcho at SysDef was to avoid killing any civilians or friendly forces while doing my undercover jobs, or else. I think he'll only let you slip up once, but the second time you open fire on an innocent, you're done for. And here is where the absurdity of this quest comes in because there are objectives during this whole quest chain where it's near-impossible to avoid at least one or two fights, with the most asinine objective of all being the one where you have to sneak through some labs on Neon to steal mission-critical data. As far as I was concerned while doing that mission, the security of that corrupt company opened fire at me first, so I was well within my rights to defend myself - so I did. But I was careful not to harm any unarmed scientists, just in case. I also tried sneaking around during that mission but I've no idea how stealth in this game works because they just kept spotting me from my hiding places and it was yet another indicator for me that maybe I was supposed to get into combat with them. After all, they're just corporate private security. But I guess I was wrong because almost three hours later, when I finally came back to the SysDef commander for another debrief, he just immediately flipped out on me and the only thing I could do was to either submit to an arrest, or shoot my way out of there.

The way this scene plays out is also pretty absurd. You can't even talk him down or explain yourself, and the fact that it came at a moment where we were about to attack the Crimson Fleet's base and my next objective was pretty much the ace in the hole for the whole operation, is just ridiculous. Like, calm down dude. Okay, some guards got killed but whatever, I didn't even fire the first shot, I was defending myself. You're just gonna throw a hissy fit and flush the entire operation down the toilet when we're practically at enemy's gates, and about to smoke an entire pirate faction off the face of the galaxy? The hell is wrong with you?

But the biggest disappointment was when I figured that if SysDef is so hell-bent on blowing this whole thing because of their goody two-shoes bullshit, then I'm just gonna go Tony Montana on their ass and murder the entire ship while I make my escape. And I did this while fully expecting that this will be the end of that whole storyline. Because if I'm gonna assassinate the commanders of this faction, then that pretty much puts the nail in the coffin of that entire operation, right?

Right...?

Of course, the head honcho guy and his posse of named NPCs wouldn't just keel over and die. They had to do this asinine Bethesda "ooh I'm hurt and clutching at my tummy while kneeling on the ground" shit, because it would be just too interesting to end the whole thing right there and then. No, they HAD to survive so that the rest of the quest's scripted story could play out, such as the entire goddamned UC SysDef faction now being hostile towards me, my companions despising my ass, and me basically being painted villain and having to deal with attacking UC forces whenever I bump into them. Which is all the time because they're pretty much everywhere around the settled colonies. They are THE main "good guy" faction of the game, and now I'm vilified by them for essentially being curious and following a quest line?

I mean god damn, way to punish me for such a dumb mistake, Bethesda, and not even giving me a chance to maybe go back and correct it before it was much, much too late. Top notch.

It is mind-blowingly bad. To the point where I just had to write a 200 word essay malding over this shit because I couldn't cope otherwise.
You do know that

1. You're essentially an Undercover Cop, and they don't usually have a license to kill
  2. There are non Lethal Options in the game

Drizzlehell

Banned
Correction: I would actually have to go back 7 hours because that was when I did my last manual save, lol.

bath-tub-bath.gif

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'm not really seeing the "worst shit" here. Its an RPG in which your actions had consequences.
You do know that

1. You're essentially an Undercover Cop, and they don't usually have a license to kill
Yeah no shit, but the way this plays out in the game is so poorly telegraphed and executed that I almost dropped my controller when I realised what was happening.

Not to mention the disappointment when realising that you don't really have any say in this and have to follow this idiotic script. Freedom my ass.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah no shit, but the way this plays out in the game is so poorly telegraphed and executed that I almost dropped my controller when I realised what was happening.

Not to mention the disappointment when realising that you don't really have any say in this and have to follow this idiotic script. Freedom my ass.

lol....you don't have to follow any script. I played those missions entirely different than you did. So much so that what you are describing isn't what I experienced at all. How is that a script then?

Hohenheim

Stop spoiling games in the title of threads here! It's fucking annoying going here, only to see titles like this. Why can't this be discussed in the main Starfield thread? Just fucking annoying and unnecessary.
I Started this game yesterday and have already seen a couple of threads like this, where the title is spoiling parts of the game. What's the point in having "official threads" for games when people make threads like this? This is the kind of game where people want to go in blind.

Drizzlehell

Banned
lol....you don't have to follow any script. I played those missions entirely different than you did. So much so that what you are describing isn't what I experienced at all. How is that a script then?
I mean that you can't just kill them all when they try to arrest you because it's a crappy Bethesda RPG where everything would fall apart if a key NPC would get killed off.

Also, another idea I had was to just skip the conversation with that guy and just on with my mission to find that missing ship but of course, without a quest marker, good luck trying to accomplish that before your ship gets shredded by the gas cloud. I don't even think that this script kicks in before you talk with the commander first.

Again, so much for the freedom of choice, lol. What a crock.

Last edited:

Sacred

Right...?

HUGE FAIL.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I dunno man. I screwed up and got shot at. Killed everyone except essential NPC, got to my ship had to grav jump from the whole sea of enemies gunning for me. Was pretty hype for me.

Besides UCSD is garbage and worth destroying IMO. They kind of prove they aren't much better then the Space Pirates. And besides the Space Pirates had better vendors in one place and each of the people you work with have human personalities instead of the monotone space pirates bad UCSD peeps.

And the rest of the quest was so hype.

Gojiira

Yeah Im leaning towards what others have said, Stealth works the same more or less across all Bethesda games. You just fucked up.
The game is meh but not because of your reasoning here OP.
Though I do agree the way the NPC has zero options for talking down etc is further proof of how shit Bethesda is at adding depth to their games

Antwix

Stop spoiling games in the title of threads here! It's fucking annoying going here, only to see titles like this. Why can't this be discussed in the main Starfield thread? Just fucking annoying and unnecessary.
I Started this game yesterday and have already seen a couple of threads like this, where the title is spoiling parts of the game. What's the point in having "official threads" for games when people make threads like this? This is the kind of game where people want to go in blind.
OP is butthurt that he failed a quest and didn't like that he has to live with the consequences of his actions. He wanted to get fancy NeoGAF reaction points instead of posting in the main OT. End of story.

Drizzlehell

Banned
OP is butthurt that he failed a quest and didn't like that he has to live with the consequences of his actions. He wanted to get fancy NeoGAF reaction points instead of posting in the main OT. End of story.
you-got-me-you-got.gif

Yeah Im leaning towards what others have said, Stealth works the same more or less across all Bethesda games. You just fucked up.
Stealth was always shitty in those games, though, and not even having a status indicator is even worse this time. No wonder I kept getting spotted while ducking an air shaft where no one could possibly see me.

Idk, maybe it's not possible to fully convey this in writing but the way this whole quest was executed is just shit. It's like a fanfic-level of logic that's being applied to the situations that you're being put in, and the consequences are way too harsh compared to how little wiggle room you're being given.

dude freedom means I can do anything lol
I murdered my way through one of these missions and the UC dude was mad but did not kick me out. There are plenty of options. Failure doesn't even mean anything in a Bethesda game.

Stealth was always shitty in those games, though, and not even having a status indicator is even worse this time. No wonder I kept getting spotted while ducking an air shaft where no one could possibly see me.

Did you level up stealth?
Did you take off your space suit?
Stealth works fine but unline other Beth games you must put some points in it.

Fredrik

Well now you know why there is a mod where you can…
…change the UC to Storm Troopers 😏

(major spoilers ahead, I’ve grayed out some even bigger ones, don’t click on them if you’re still early on)
It’s meant to make you feel guilty. I went back and tried the other choice and if you go with the UC they really rub it in and talk about how hard it must’ve been to go in and kill them all after you had bonded with some of them etc. Felt really bad.
In the end I went forward with the pirates just like you, it changes the whole game since your allies are the pirates now. Cool in some ways. Some enemy bases are now ally bases! Bad in other ways. Lots of enemies to fight in space… Eventually I went through the end that way and… (ending spoiler ahead)… it made the ending feel like the bad ending.

Can’t help you deal with it tbh but it’s just a game. Only advice I have is to save often so you can retry. I went through the finish line and started another playthrough, will change my choices, that’s my way of coping I guess.

thief183

I think it was pretty well done apart from the fact that the rest of the npc didn't care at all after I ended it :)

Drizzlehell

Banned
I murdered my way through one of these missions and the UC dude was mad but did not kick me out.
So you did that and he was alright with it, but then he completely loses his mind when you kill a couple of guards in self defense, huh?

Yeah, I don't see any problems with the logic of any of this.

ungalo

where it's near-impossible to avoid at least one or two fights, with the most asinine objective of all being the one where you have to sneak through some labs on Neon to steal mission-critical data. As far as I was concerned while doing that mission, the security of that corrupt company opened fire at me first, so I was well within my rights to defend myself - so I did. But I was careful not to harm any unarmed scientists, just in case. I also tried sneaking around during that mission but I've no idea how stealth in this game works because they just kept spotting me from my hiding places and it was yet another indicator for me that maybe I was supposed to get into combat with them. After all, they're just corporate private security. But I guess I was wrong because almost three hours later, when I finally came back to the SysDef commander for another debrief, he just immediately flipped out on me and the only thing I could do was to either submit to an arrest, or shoot my way out of there.
It seems completely logical to me, first off the mission can be completed without killing anyone or even being detected, i did it full stealth. And if you get detected, even if you're defending yourself, the security is in its right to apprehend you and shoot at you if you resist, not the other way around (of course it's pretty obvious that the way it works is still pretty rigid, the gap is between if you kill a person or not, it's not taylor made for each situation you could create).

It seems coherent for a faction like the UC to be butthurt when you kill people from a corpo and make a mess in one of the main city of Freestar Collective, don't see anything wrong with that.

And the rest is about the invincible quest givers, which is an understable choice as well in my opinion, nothing deserving of being called the worst questline of all time.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
You do know that

I just finished the mission OP talks about, and the devs even give you an EM weapon right in front of you as you gain access to the building to stun everyone instead of killing them. They've also said it multiple times to avoid casualties. Just because they fire at you doesnt mean they arent innocent. Stealth is broken so Ill give OP that, but you know what I did? I just ran to the objective. Didnt shoot anyone while everyone could barely hit me while I was running and completed the mission in 3 minutes.

Drizzlehell

Banned
It seems completely logical to me, first off the mission can be completed without killing anyone or even being detected, i did it full stealth. And if you get detected, even if you're defending yourself, the security is in its right to apprehend you and shoot at you if you resist, not the other way around (of course it's pretty obvious that the way it works is still pretty rigid, the gap is between if you kill a person or not, it's not taylor made for each situation you could create).

It seems coherent for a faction like the UC to be butthurt when you kill people from a corpo and make a mess in one of the main city of Freestar Collective, don't see anything wrong with that.

And the rest is about the invincible quest givers, which is an understable choice as well in my opinion, nothing deserving of being called the worst questline of all time.
Well, first of all, the whole setup for these missions is pretty dumb when you think about it. They recruited a complete nobody off the street while he was committing a crime, and then they're acting all surprised when things go south after sending him off to do complex undercover work? Yeah, that makes total sense.

And yes, invincible NPCs is a very lazy crutch to stand on when the main selling point for your game is supposed to be freedom of choice. What the hell happened to the idea of failing a quest due to death of an NPC? The more I play through the story content of this game, the more I realise that this is quite possibly the most restrictive one that Bethesda has ever made. Because pretty much every attempt to get around a problem in a creative way is stumped by the rigid script that the developer has set out before the player, or by some engine limitations that prevents the game from fully realising the idea of a seamless sandbox game. The only freedom that I feel here is when I'm wandering around some random planets and scanning rocks.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
If you haven't even played the game then why do you bother commenting on this? It's impossible to kill those NPCs because they're invincible.

Attacking the sysdef guy is a dialogue option. I did that and cleared out the whole ship. I just did this last night. You’re right that he was an unkillable NPC but he followed me into space and started attacking my ship. I grav jumped away but you can probably kill him if your ship is buff enough.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Attacking the sysdef guy is a dialogue option. I did that and cleared out the whole ship. I just did this last night. You’re right that he was an unkillable NPC but he followed me into space and started attacking my ship. I grav jumped away but you can probably kill him if your ship is buff enough.
The outcome is pretty much the same as when you give in to the arrest, so pretty much all you accomplished with this is wasting ammo on a bunch of no-name soldiers because any other NPC who is of any significance survives the ordeal. He doesn't follow you either, he just gives an order through a radio for every ship in the vicinity to blast you.

Last edited:

ungalo

Well, first of all, the whole setup for these missions is pretty dumb when you think about it. They recruited a complete nobody off the street while he was committing a crime, and then they're acting all surprised when things go south after sending him off to do complex undercover work? Yeah, that makes total sense.

And yes, invincible NPCs is a very lazy crutch to stand on when the main selling point for your game is supposed to be freedom of choice. What the hell happened to the idea of failing a quest due to death of an NPC? The more I play through the story content of this game, the more I realise that this is quite possibly the most restrictive one that Bethesda has ever made. Because pretty much every attempt to get around a problem in a creative way is stumped by the rigid script that the developer has set out before the player, or by some engine limitations that prevents the game from fully realising the idea of a seamless sandbox game. The only freedom that I feel here is when I'm wandering around some random planets and scanning rocks.
I was responding to your initial post. I know that in all Bethesda games the way you are perceived by NPCs is pretty inconsistent and everything is pretty straight forward. I don't want to get into an argument about why it's like that in general.

I wouldn't say making NPCs invincible is lazier than to make a quest fail. It's just safer for players. I'm not saying they're right to do it but i understand the choice.

Topher

Gold Member
And what part of "you don't know what you're talking about" don't you understand?

lol....I actually had both sides of that whole quest thinking I was the best thing since sliced bread up until the point that I was forced to pick a side. Seems quite at odds with what you described.

So as far as how you played the game, yes you are quite that I don't know what I'm talking about. That's because, again, I did it all differently. Exactly my point.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Yeah sorry OP I think you just screwed up your mission and experienced the consequences.

Only thing I agree with is that yeah it would’ve been nice if they didn’t have an invincible quest-giver NPC and you could end the quest line at any time by taking him out.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Yeah sorry OP I think you just screwed up your mission and experienced the consequences.

Only thing I agree with is that yeah it would’ve been nice if they didn’t have an invincible quest-giver NPC and you could end the quest line at any time by taking him out.
See, this is where all of you are wrong. I did precisely what I meant to do because I want to role-play as a chaotic neutral type of character, but the game constantly curb-stomps any attempts at doing just that. That quest was shit because it didn't provide me with any satisfactory options to get out of that pickle and I basically had to revert to my previous save and follow the script this time so that I wouldn't end up with a lacklustre outcome.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Cool, I guess I’ll look forward to “Starfield is the worst written game of all time threads” for every mission in the game now, where the OP demonstrates a lack of understanding of the quest and it’s writing.
I think you guys are just making a lot of assumptions and taking them at face value.

The situation that you're faced with during that quest isn't really that clear cut, and even the commander guy keeps telling you that you'll be faced with morally grey decisions where you'll sometimes have to pull the trigger. But then every time you do pull the trigger, as I did when I was defending myself, or even commit some minor infractions while undercover, he will just keep flipping out and threatening me like a maniac. The writing is all over the place and characters very often contradict themselves like this, so don't put the whole blame on me just because you're annoyed that I'm criticising a game that you like.

Drizzlehell

Banned
lol....I actually had both sides of that whole quest thinking I was the best thing since sliced bread up until the point that I was forced to pick a side. Seems quite at odds with what you described.

So as far as how you played the game, yes you are quite that I don't know what I'm talking about. That's because, again, I did it all differently. Exactly my point.
So if you do understand that I'm criticising a very specific outcome that you haven't even experienced and therefore may not get the full picture of what I'm talking about, then why are you being such a dick about it?

ZehDon

Gold Member
I think you guys are just making a lot of assumptions and taking them at face value...
Not really. I read your post and parsed it and came to my conclusion. Looking across the thread, it would appear I'm not the only one to arrive at said conclusion. What I see is someone who read Evilore's similarly titled thread and felt they wanted to get in while the going was good. I don't have much more to add. Sorry you're not enjoying the game.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Not really. I read your post and parsed it and came to my conclusion. Looking across the thread, it would appear I'm not the only one to arrive at said conclusion. What I see is someone who read Evilore's similarly titled thread and felt they wanted to get in while the going was good. I don't have much more to add. Sorry you're not enjoying the game.
I would've made this thread regardless of whether someone else made a similar one recently, and this is something that I just happened to experience while playing the game today. But you can make any assumptions you want, I don't give a shit. The reason why I even acknowledged the other thread in the OP is because I knew that it will draw asinine comments like these.

Anyway, in short, I think you guys are just trying to force a logic of how real people would act in a real world onto what's essentially a fictional story with one-dimensional writing. The SysDef guys are hilariously single-minded and that's what makes them, and those situations in the game, feel fake and frustrating. I'm sorry that you guys can't see this.

Also note that I've highlighted one specific quest for this thread, because before it I've been having a pretty good time with the game - and you should know because I literally quoted you in my response where I praised other aspects of the game earlier today. So don't generalise by saying that I don't enjoy the game or whatever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom