• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake is a multi-part series

I'd bet each of these parts is greater than 30 hours apiece.

I think people assuming this is the same old 40 hour game cut into pieces aren't thinking about how much the scope of a modern game will inflate each element in the old scenario to a huge degree.

I mean, what gives you this expectation?

Because they've decided to split it up into episodes? I think expecting each episode to offer upwards of 30 hours of content is insane and setting expectations so high that you'll only be let down.

I'd expect each episode to offer a maximum of 10 hours of content hat might be stretched out to 15 hours if you stand around idling for a few hours, but 30 hours plus?

Come down from the clouds bro.

So a multipart series eh?

That actually makes me hopeful for a faster launch than I expected. Reading the interview bits, seems they not only want to maintain the contain of the original, but add into it. I think this will end up being the smarter choice.

Oh neogaf, some of the reaction are really priceless.

Ceravic

Is it explained if they intend the game to be episodic (a la TellTale, Life is Strange ect.) or just more games part of a trilogy or such? (Mass Effect, FFXIII trilogy ect.). I see everyone is assuming this is more like a Telltale game but I'm not sure from where that comes.

I think it is just everyone (myself included) assuming the worst when they hear multipart and episodes. I think they need to clarify what they mean and soon. Like I said above, if each part of the series is a fully fleshed out game I will be fine with that.

nib95

Banned
Bullshit. Talk about killing the hype for the best announcement this side of forever. Just increase the dev time and get it released as a whole, just like the original. Ship it on multiple disks if need be, also just like the original.

Because they've decided to split it up into episodes? I think expecting each episode to offer upwards of 30 hours of content is insane and setting expectations so high that you'll only be let down.

I'd expect each episode to offer a maximum of 10 hours of content hat might be stretched out to 15 hours if you stand around idling for a few hours, but 30 hours plus?

Did SE actually say 'episodes' though?
Multi-part, such as FFVII-1, FFVII-2 suggests considerably larger scope than just episodic releases.
The remake is split into several TITLES, not episodes, so maybe you should rethink your expectations.

R0ckman

To be honest, I think this was just handled bad all around, something didn't feel right when they announced this while KH3 and FFXV are still in development. Considering the state of FFXV they should have waited for that to be released and focused on fine tuning that game, or they should have just canceled it (FFXV) if they aren't confident enough in the product to have to continually go back and forth with the community. If you are that scared it will flop, focus on a game that WILL sell and don't have it be handicapped by not having enough resources to make it the game it deserves to be.

meanspartan

You really need to step back from your computer, go take a walk outside and come back with a clearer mind. Just because a game with the amount of content FFVII has in the style of the original PS1 game could be made with a reasonable budget back then (though, do take into account that even the original is still one of the most expensive games ever made), that doesn't mean that a game that, in many ways, has to expand on that premise is even remotely similar in scope.

They not only have to recreate fucktons of iconic locations in meticulous detail & full 3d where you can see everything from every angle & create all the vistas surrounding those places that you could just ignore in a static pre-rendered background, but they also have to create more seamless, connected environments, meaning they not only have to re-create old locations, they also have to create tons of places that are in between those locations that they never had to worry about in the past when they could just put a loading screen to transition between two places. That's a huge additional workload. And this is all with PS4 level, insanely detailed graphics. That's not even taking into account possible new stuff that they are not making just to connect old areas to each other, but are making to flesh out/expand the world of FFVII even further.

If you seriously can't understand how massive an undertaking that is, then maybe refrain from making silly comments like you just did.

Ya, because all this isn't any big budget RPG these days.

And what the fuck is with the arrogant final sentence there? If you wanna be an apologist, go ahead, but no need to be a jerk about it.

Zomba13

I think it depends on how many releases they are planning, how much content and the price.

If they are doing it like 3 discs from original at $30 dollars each then I'd be OK with that.

If its FFVII - Remake of 1: Midgar.
Remake 2- Junon to flying saucer
3- Cosno Canyon to end of disc 1 spoiler
Etc. I would feel ripped off.

Yeah. If they just did Disc 1, 2 and 3 then I guess that would be fine. I mean, it'd use the same save file and pick up where you left off and would just be like it was on the PS1 in terms or story beats and cliffhangers for disc changing. But I highly doubt that. They mention the size of the game and all that so it implies to me that it's so big that they can't have like, all the world on Disc 3 for you to explore, it'll be split up. I imagine it'll be a hell of a lot more linear than FFVII was, more like FFXIII where you just go from story beat to story beat and even then the episodes will be a lot shorter than what you want.

This is really bumming me out. It was so great to see them making the game, then I was hyped by the combat (I don't care it's not turn based any more, I like KH style) but now I just feel this will hurt the game. Like episodic gaming really only works when done well and done on a schedule that it meets. Telltale games do it well because they are story driven with choices and cliffhangers but they, like all episodic games, suffer when episodes are released months apart and you forget what is going on. It's why I wait till they are all out and play them over the course of a week, an episode a day. I get the episodic nature and wanting to see what happens next without the wait or forgetting things.

I will wait to see if this is ever finished and grab the complete package IF it ends up being FFVII and not "FFVII the movie" (as in super linear and cut down which sounds like it with an episodic game)

anothertech

Shoutout to @tokyofog for translating some of the parts of the interview.

Nomura: VII in one work would turn into a digest. We judged that the remake must be full volume, so we decided to make [VII] multi-part.

Nomura: A subtitle for the VII remake would give the impression of a spin-off or sequel, so they avoided using one.

Nomura: If we make the characters reall, they'll look like real people and no one will recognize them, so we're aiming to balance.

Nomura: Advent Children models are too old, so they've been refining the graphics and balancing reality and deformation.

Aside from the CG shown at the beginning of the trailer, everything is in real-time. You can alter the camera angle during the train scene.

Cloud's appearance has to partially to do with the lighting and his pale skin. Nojima had said Cloud's sickly appearance is brilliant.

Cross-dressing scene will be included. Nomura has yet to work on the design, however.

Nomura: VIIR is completely different from Crisis Core's battle system. Not as actiony as Dissidia Arcade or KH but closer to that style.

Nomura: VIIR has ATB, but it's not the type where you wait for the gauge to fill up and then attack. It is connected with the action system.

Nomura: 3-member parties, all interchangeable and playable. You don't have to change characters if you don't want.

Nomura: The battle speed they're aiming for is Dissidia Arcade's. The battles we saw in the trailer are kind of like a standard to aim for.

Nomura went over the trailer so many times and doubted if it'd be all right to show, but the reaction he received has relieved him.

Nomura can't go into details about the battle system, but he said it's important to note that the ATB gauge turns red. Something significant.
this. This right here is good sh*t

AzureFlame

If it's like a tell tale game, then that's not good

If it's like Mass Effect then that's perfect.

I want a dense detailed game and that won't happen with 1 retail game.

In the end im gonna get the VIIR remake that i always dreamed of with dense detailed world, im soo happy about that.

As far as we know this could be a PS4 console exclusive OR a tined exclusive

If it is timed exclusive would owners of other consoles have to wait until the whole game is out (and hopefully get to purchase all at once) or will the stsgger the release such as
Episode 1: PS4
Episode 2: PS4
Episode 1: xbox
Episode 3: PS4
Episode 2: Xbox.
Etc

It's all too vague now. I'm off to work

meanspartan

I'd bet each of these parts is greater than 30 hours apiece.

I think people assuming this is the same old 40 hour game cut into pieces aren't thinking about how much the scope of a modern game will inflate each element in the old scenario to a huge degree.

Ok. If this is indeed the case, I can live with this.

I'm just still nervous each part is gonna be a few hours long and maybe a 10-15 hour game total. Like that shit was what I was thinking when I heard episodic.

It's strange ... all SQEX (imo) had to do, was to take FF 7, give it a beauty treatment on the graphics side, put some refinement work on the gameplay side and release it, resulting in the joy of millions of FF 7 fans around the world.

But no, they gotta add some modern SQEX twists to it ... whats next? All female cast members removed? All male boy-band-like cast like in FF XV? Story twists like Cloud is Sephiroths' long lost brother and cousin to Aerith?

This is like the real world game equivalent of South Parks "definitive versions" of Star Wars, where everyone was an ewok and guns have been replaced with WalkyTalkies. :(

Lanrutcon

In the end im gonna get the VIIR remake that i always dreamed of with dense detailed world, im soo happy about that.

Mass Effect was 3 games. FFVII will be one game split into X parts. Huge difference. They will be nothing alike.

meanspartan

It's strange ... all SQEX (imo) had to do, was to take FF 7, give it a beauty treatment on the graphics side, put some refinement work on the gameplay side and release it, resulting in the joy of millions of FF 7 fans around the world.

But no, they gotta add some modern SQEX twists to it ... whats next? All female cast members removed? All male boy-band-like cast like in FF XV? Story twists like Cloud is Sephiroths' long lost brother and cousin to Aerith?

This is like the real world game equivalent of South Parks "definitive versions" of Star Wars, where everyone was an ewok and guns have been replaced with WalkyTalkies. :(

Ya, this is why even as people are saying "dont worry, this means a few games each 30 hours long!" I remain really skeptical.

They had a simple awesome concept and are fucking with it.

Ok. If this is indeed the case, I can live with this.

I'm just still nervous each part is gonna be a few hours long and maybe a 10-15 hour game total. Like that shit was what I was thinking when I heard episodic.
SE didn't say episodic though, they said a series of titles, I.e Mass Effect.
I don't know where this episodic thing has come from?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

You need to come down from the clouds if you think Square Enix is interested in telltale-style mini-episodes. Not their style. Not how they make money.

They'll make each episode a major release and charge you full price for them. This will be more like a movie in a trilogy, not a small episode of a TV series.

It makes perfect sense if you consider how big the scope of the game would be just translating FFVII into modern gameplay scope.

From the other thread:

Think about it.

When a town was a tiny room (a pre-rendered jpeg) that you could walk across the entirety of in 5 seconds, it now needs to be a full 3D environment with the scope that we would really believe is a town.

When a cutscene was 5 polygons and 10 dialogue boxes that you could mash through in 30 seconds, it now needs to be a 5 minute, fully voiced, 3D modelled real time animation.

When a battle was a cut to the same generic "factory" background with less polygonal detail than one strand of Lightning's hair, it now needs to be a unique full 3D environment set piece with spaces to allow for combat interactions that feel satisfying in the modern context.

Making FFVII with modern detail means inflating the size of the game significantly. If people don't yet understand that... think it through.

barit

What? That are some shocking news if true. So the first "Episode" is probably really just Midgar? What the heck Square? Take all the time you want but give us the full package at once. I don't care if the game will be released 2020+ but give us the whole game!

Kain

I am actually afraid that Nojima is going to pull some shit like that, he has been bold with the bullshit as of late.

meanspartan

Why do people keep repeating this as if we live in some world where massive games that exceed the scope of FF7 don't exist?

Of course a good remake could have been done with one game, repeating that it couldn't have over and over because as one person put it, "HD towns are expensive", doesn't make the assertion true.

I know I'll be crucified for this, but I wish they had remade the game in a more stylized direction like FFIV DS.

The development cost would have been much more sane, and maybe this decision wouldn't have been necessary.

Oh well, hopefully it still all works out in the end and the game doesn't suffer much from this move.

ASIS

Fuck it I'm playing the original, I waited 10 years for the remake and I refuse to be drop fed, not when it comes to this game. I'll experience the original and, I'd i like it enough, I'll join along for the ride in this multiparty remake.

When I heard the news, the headline said episodic if I remember right.
Episodic isn't in the PR though, or in the tweet, so I'm confused where this word has come from?
Multi-part series = multiple games (probably a trilogy)
Episodic = one game split into small parts

They are very different things

meanspartan

Episodic isn't in the PR though, or in the tweet, so I'm confused where this word has come from?

Very true, and I'm glad it looks like its the former and not the latter.

I just really wanted a remake to come out and be in one box and have that be the remake. Multiple parts just leaves too much room for Square to find ways to fuck it up.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
As far as we know this could be a PS4 console exclusive OR a tined exclusive

If it is timed exclusive would owners of other consoles have to wait until the whole game is out (and hopefully get to purchase all at once) or will the stsgger the release such as
Episode 1: PS4
Episode 2: PS4
Episode 1: xbox
Episode 3: PS4
Episode 2: Xbox.
Etc

It's all too vague now. I'm off to work

Probably it will be

Ep 1 for ps4
Ep 2 for ps4
Ep 1&2 collection for ps4 and ps5
Ep 3 for ps4 and ps5
Ep 1&2&3 complete for ps5

Zomba13

But FFVII remake is one game split into small parts. It was a complete game (albiet across 3 discs) but now is being split into smaller chunks. Episodes if you will.

Episodic games are Multi-part series. It's just wording. It's just PR. You see "Multi-part" and think "Oh cool, it'll be like Mass Effect where we get like 150hours over three fully featured games with different mechanics and each one looks better than the last!" where if you saw the exact same thing but with "episodic" you would think "bullshit! I don't want 150 one hour episodes at $5 each!".

Multipart at $60 a pop? Maybe $40

Will these other systems this game eventually releases on get the whole game at once?

In a perfect world it'll come to PC which means you can just buy it all when it's done instead of having to buy episode 1 and 2 on the PS4 and the rest on PS5 or wait for the the first two episodes to get ported to PS5.

Multipart at $60 a pop? Maybe $40

Will these other systems this game eventually releases on get the whole game at once?
While i can see a FF-7R collection releasing after all episodes, why would SQEX release only such a collection on other platforms? Milking isn't really platform-exclusive...

And i can totally see them making additional changes to such a collection ... dunno "Now with more Gackt"-stuff...

Why spend all the fanboyism there is with this game with a $60 game when you can make them buy three $60 games!

Despite games like GTA5, Fallout 4 and The Witcher 3 showing what you can do in a single AAA game.

You need to come down from the clouds if you think Square Enix is interested in telltale-style mini-episodes. Not their style. Not how they make money.

They'll make each episode a major release and charge you full price for them. This will be more like a movie in a trilogy, not a small episode of a TV series.

It makes perfect sense if you consider how big the scope of the game would be just translating FFVII into modern gameplay scope.

From the other thread:

I'm kind of with you on this.

I mean I'm still pissed we're going to be charge (hopefully just) 3 times for the same game, but it really is the only way to do it without either gutting the games content, or having a budget and dev time so enormous the game wouldn't be out for a decade and would be a company killing loss for SE.

Still sucks for us as consumers though.

I'm actually glad they've done it this way. After then gameplay trailer, I was actually going to make a thread to ask what people expected to be cut as I couldn't see any way they were going to do remake everything from a game as large as FFVIII at that fidelity level. If this means they get to fully redo everything - great.

DirtyCase

What the actual fuck...
I knew yesterday's trailer was too good to be true. Any hope I had that Squenix has changed are now gone.

NateDog

One part of me understand this a bit (Kitase a few years back said making a VII remake would take "10 years" and so it would never happen, when they announced it I was stoked but also quite surprised), but the other part of me thinks it's silly and a bad decision for the title (or titles, at this stage). Will this mean that this will be download only? I can't really see it happening but how much will each episode go for? It doesn't sound so far like it'll be something like 3 episodes to match 3 discs (for example's sake).

But FFVII remake is one game split into small parts. It was a complete game (albiet across 3 discs) but now is being split into smaller chunks. Episodes if you will.

Episodic games are Multi-part series. It's just wording. It's just PR. You see "Multi-part" and think "Oh cool, it'll be like Mass Effect where we get like 150hours over three fully featured games with different mechanics and each one looks better than the last!" where if you saw the exact same thing but with "episodic" you would think "bullshit! I don't want 150 one hour episodes at $5 each!".

What is this nonsense?
One game split into small parts? Is it not clear that the remake is the opposite of this? It's one game, originally consisting of pre-rendered backgrounds and fixed camera angles, recreated into a fully 3D world.
You assume they will be split into small episodic chunks, based off of what? Because someone threw out the word 'episodic' and everyone jumped to conclusions, when SE never used that word.
The game may well be three whole titles, each with 60+ hours worth of content, which would mean we are getting even more content than the original.
Multi-part series, a trilogy, is NOT the same as episodic, however much you try and imply it.

Ludens

Banned
We asked for a remake, we'll give us 10 of them.
Anyway this is ridiculous.
Maybe, since the original game was so big (it's an rpg after all), they'll do several 20 hours games, selling them for 70€ each, and in the end we'll have the ful FFVII remake costing an insane amount of money.

Top Bottom