• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Final Fantasy VI Remake Would Take 20 Years, Speculates Kitase; Would be Bigger than Final Fantasy VII Remake Project

ChazAshley

Gold Member
Me:
0x8SS9v.jpg

fart town usa

Gold Member
It would be so dope to see Locke & Co. in full 3D.

VI is best in the series AFAIC. The SNES version is fine for me, don't need a remake but I'd be happy to get one.

What we really need is a modern FF with good characters, combat, and story. You think it wouldn't be that hard of a task. 🤷

Kssio_Aug

I don't understand why Square takes so long to produce it's Final Fantasy titles. What's the reason for that?

Aren't most AAA games made in about 5 years or something?

And even taking so long the franchise since FFXIII has been hardly anything but disappointment.

Last edited:

Hudo

Can you elaborate please ?
  • Story has been significantly changed from the original. Nomura likes his timeline/multiverse bullshit. I think multiverse and timeline shit is one of the laziest narrative devices ever conceived. I fucking hate it. The only time I could stomach timeline shit was with Star Trek (29th century Federation has "Timeships") because the authors there at least think about timeline paradoxes and stuff beyond the obvious.
  • Gameplay has been changed (Active Time Battle to KH-like character action)

I don't mind the gameplay changes as much (but I like turn-based combat, so I wish they'd keep it for a remake). But I am afraid that Square can't help themselves and change the story like they did with FF7. And that is something I don't want them to do.

Last edited:

Madflavor

They need to remember what made the series so good in the past and bring it back to its roots rather than all of this experimental genre-shifting bullshit they've recently been doing.
Yeah they really need to stop and pick a lane at this point. It's been a failed experiment, and coupled with the fact there's 5-7 years between these games now, it's hurting the brand. Moving to Action territory has not been rewarding them with the sales they thought it would, and it makes no financial and creative sense to not go back to Turn Based with FFXVII. Persona 5 and Baldur's Gate 3 have proven turn based combat is still loved and has a place in modern gaming. Matter of fact if part of XVII's marketing is that they're going back to turn based, that probably would actually increase interest in the game.

20 years? That has a name, incompetence.
20 years is plenty of time for me to safely say that Sakaguchi's departure was the death of Final Fantasy. Or at least the death of what made Final Fantasy truly special. FFXIV is great, but it's barrier to entry requires a gargantuan time sink by the player to get to the really good storytelling. FFVII: Remake came the closest to evoking old feelings I used to have with this series. But nothing these past 20 years has matched what Square was pumping out in 1994 - 2001.

Go_Ly_Dow

I don't understand why Square takes so long to produce it's Final Fantasy titles. What's the reason for that?

Aren't most AAA games made in about 5 years or something?

And even taking so long the franchise since FFXIII has been hardly anything but disappointment.
They could produce an FFVI Remake in 5 years, they could have remade the entirety of 7 in 5 years if they wanted. But not to the visuals standards and game design you see in 7R with a 1:1 world in a modern presentation, such as CGI level graphics. Kitase is referencing a hypothetical VI remake to that standard, not to the standard of something like Star Ocean 2nd Story R. This was also a casual comment he said with humour in a video interview so he's being hyperbolic.

A lot of AAA games with a lot of story content using cutting edge visuals are taking 5 years or more. Spiderman 2 for example reused a lot of assets from the 1st game and updated them and despite being built upon a game that already exists it still took them 5 years and cost like $300mil. The campaign can be done in about 16-18 hours, so its a much shorter game than an FF title.

Last edited:
Yeah they really need to stop and pick a lane at this point. It's been a failed experiment, and coupled with the fact there's 5-7 years between these games now, it's hurting the brand. Moving to Action territory has not been rewarding them with the sales they thought it would, and it makes no financial and creative sense to not go back to Turn Based with FFXVII. Persona 5 and Baldur's Gate 3 have proven turn based combat is still loved and has a place in modern gaming. Matter of fact if part of XVII's marketing is that they're going back to turn based, that probably would actually increase interest in the game.
I have no doubt if the next FF game goes back to turn based, it will sell at least 10 million. Fans are dying for the old FF to come back. Nothing is stopping them.

Interfectum

No doubt they would fuck it up but could you imagine how amazing it would be if done right? It would obliterate any FF before or after in terms of story and sheer epicness. FF6 is truly the GOAT JRPG.

Esppiral

I have no doubt if the next FF game goes back to turn based, it will sell at least 10 million. Fans are dying for the old FF to come back. Nothing is stopping them.
As much as I love turn based games, modern audiences need immediate gratification, I don't see turn based games doing a come back sadly

Go_Ly_Dow

I disagree. The FF fanbase is divided over areas such as combat (turn based vs real-time), art direction (modern vs fantasy) and a few other areas. At this stage I think whatever they do, even if executed to a high standard it would cause controversy.

FF7Rs combat mechanics seems to be the most unifying system I've seen since older titles. There are some who don't like it, but it's praised in a way that other entries haven't been by the fans at large. So I think it's a good template to take into future titles and build on. FF fans like character switching, elemental damage, and party mechanics this is clear. The creators want to try new and interesting things then play it safe.

Kssio_Aug

Persona 5 has proven that wrong.
This.

The issue isn't inherently with the turn-based system itself. Most turn-based games tend to cling to outdated features like dialogues without voice acting, bad animations, and outdated or pixelated graphics. Although some of these aspects, like pixel art, have their charm, they're frequently a result of budget constraints.

I think that if more high-budget RPGs adopted turn based battle systems, pairing it with quality writing, modern graphics, and engaging storytelling, the response would be way better by the public. Persona 5 and Divinity are both turn-based, and had awesome reception.

Last edited:

Madflavor

As much as I love turn based games, modern audiences need immediate gratification, I don't see turn based games doing a come back sadly
Persona 5 has already been brought up, but a more recent example would be Baldur's Gate 3, which was absolutely massive. Crpgs are even more niche than Jrpgs.

Paltheos

20 years? Final Fantasy VI isn't that complicated, Kitase. What's he want to do? Add dozens of cutscenes explaining the oh so complicated backstory of Cyan from a child to the 50 year old retainer of Doma he is in the present? It's not enough that he's 'tragic, honorable samurai'? Maybe throw in several hours of playing as slave Terra because apparently the intro and the cutscene showing her killing magiteck soliders aren't enough? You could drag a game with this many characters out for a long-ass time, but the brevity might have been a part of what made the package cohesive.

Last edited:

GrayDock

The realistic look of FF7 remake fitted FF7 better because that was it's intention back then.
For FF6, pixel based, an approach like Visions of Mana would be better and surely wouldn't take 20 years... The same would be true for Chrono Trigger...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Why does this game need a full remake? The pixel remaster was pretty decent (and with some PC hacks/mods it's now the best way to play the game, in my opinion).

I would probably rather have a 2DHD remake anyway. Give us this game in the Octopath Traveler engine already.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I don't even know what this means. Turn based has gratification after gratification within long battles and short battles. What I find more grinding/less gratifying is spamming as much shit as fast as possible on damage sponges like in these newer FF games.

meatsauce

Neo Member
I'd prefer an extended version kind of like the GBA port or FFT:WotL with better graphics and orchestra soundtrack by Nobuo Uematsu.
MAYBE 3D battles kinda like FF7, the over world can stay 2D. NG+, extra endings and story missions for all the characters.

They can do this in 5 years or less.

TransTrender

Gold Member
FFXVI had plenty of great assets and walkable towns, so I don't see why a FFVI remake would be such a challenge in this area.
Still in favor of a FFXVII more in the vein of FFVII: Remake and less in the way of FFXVI.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Of course it would be a bigger project. The scale/scope of the game is much larger. Not to mention better. But I’d be fine with an 2D-HD upgrade of the SNES sprites.

Reactions: K2D
- Story has been significantly changed from the original. Nomura likes his timeline/multiverse bullshit
- Gameplay has been changed (Active Time Battle to KH-like character action)

I don't mind the gameplay changes as much (but I like turn-based combat, so I wish they'd keep it for a remake). But I am afraid that Square can't help themselves and change the story like they did with FF7. And that is something I don't want them to do.
Also the actual dialogue and scene direction is worse.

Doomtrain

If it wasn't for the remake, the dev team which was working on that could help pump XVI out faster or get a headstart on XVIII. We would get a new mainline FF every 4 years instead of a new remake every 4 years.
They might. Or they could choose to use the additional resources on other games and projects. Or they could just lay them off. Square is a massive studio; if they wanted to, they could easily increase headcount to build whatever they felt like. Chances are, they're doing what they feel like doing. If they wanted to pump out mainline FF games faster, they'd make it happen, regardless of remakes.

Mr Hyde

Kitase said the same thing about FF7 when the tech demo for PS3 was released and he was pestered with questions about a potential full game release. And then he and his team went and did a remake anyway, although chopped up and 10 years in the making, they still did it. And I don't feel FF6 need a remake of the scale of FF7, just do a HD-2D remake in the vein of Star Ocean Second story R. That game turned out amazing and did well financially and critically. FF6 would garner the same attention. Hell, it would do even better considering its legendary status.

• Love
Reactions: K2D

Dynasty8

No matter what Square dose it will piss off some group fanboys….same way FFVII Remake triggered some people because of the changes they made.

It's totally fair criticism.

Let's not pretend like the compilation stuff for FFVII was anything but a cash grab. The original was designed by a smaller team of passionate developers and has became iconic and considered one of the best games of all time. The compilation stuff was corporately designed to milk the franchise and diluted cringe inducing characters and other nonsense that fucked with the events of the original game. It's not about being "triggered", it's as clear as day that they were low effort and low quality. If you truly think that Crisis Core expanded the universe with characters like Genesis and Angeal or if Dirge of Cerberus added anything of value with its' cheesy villains....then more power to you. This is a prime example of when Quality is replaced by Quantity.

We have to be able to call out bad ideas and choices. All this nonsense started when Square and Enix merged. It's ironic, but Corporatism flawed their creative integrity and threw it out the window.

They are also correct, an FF6 Remake would take the current team 20+ years to make, but NOT because it's a near impossible task, but more so to do with the incompetence of the current company. You give that FF6 Remake opportunity to From Soft, CD Projekt Red, Larian or many other development studios who are much better managed and they'll be able to cook up something far better in a few years maximum.

Last edited:

hinch7

They're actively working on the VII Remake trilogy and supposedly on FF9 Remake (if Geforce leak is right), so not surprised that they don't want to work on another massive project and remake in the forseeable future.

I think FFX would be an easier one to do.

StueyDuck

I mean it absolutely would be if they were doing the ff7 remake/rebirth treatment.

I'd love to see them do pre-rendered isometric like ff 7-8-9 for 6 but with modern rendering. Would be wild

bender

What time is it?
I don't want the pixel art from IV/VI or Chrono Trigger brought to modern 3D. I'd much rather they go the Star Ocean route if these are ever remade.

It'll only take 20 years because game devs stateside prob need 5 years to meaningfully implement AI in development (speculating). Then Japan can be expected to take at least 10 years to move away from traditional game dev. That gives them 5 years to actually make it. So yes 20 years checks out

Raonak

Banned
I could definitely see it taking longer because they don't have any real 3D assets to base world designs off, unlike FF7.
They'd be generating all the 3D art from scratch.

Top Bottom