• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake is a multi-part series

Booki

Disc 1 Disc 2 Disc 3
Remake 1 Remake 2 Remake 3

We've always had an episodic FF7. It's just back then we got it all at once spanning 3 discs.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't have much invested in this remake, but I don't know, I guess this seems reasonable?

Has there been a game as long as FFVII with as many intricate story scenes etc etc in recent years that matches an old-school JRPG in size?

I'm genuinely asking, because I fear my memory of pre-PS2-era JRPGs may be making me exaggerate the size of those games.

Comparing story sequences isn't quite the right comparison. Story sequences in recent jRPGs are generally longer and more involved than in the old school era.

But there has been a clear and necessary decrease in "scope" from jRPGs of the old era to that of the new.

Old games had you criss-crossing the entire globe with a metric ton of story beats... because the "globe" was actually a rather tiny environment with a squat character poking his head out through forests, and the story beats were a couple of text boxes popping up in front of primitive polygons.

Newer RPGs often involve you walking across an area roughly the size of a small American state, with cutscenes that are more like scenes in film, but with much less story beats overall.

And yet... modern jRPGs are often longer than their old school counterparts, due to this increase in detail.

Translating FFVII into a modern scope would make for a gargantuan game.

A lot of over reactions and panic in this thread. I'd rather play even a small portion of this game next year and not wait till 2020 for the game to come out.

A lot of over reactions and panic in this thread. I'd rather play even a small portion of this game next year and not wait till 2020 for the game to come out.

Let's see if you say the same when it gets to 2018 and you're still waiting for part 3

The anger still burns bright in me for Half Life 2: Episode 3

BocoDragon

Let's see if you say the same when it gets to 2018 and you're still waiting for part 3

The anger still burns bright in me for Half Life 2: Episode 3

Haha.. Honestly? In 2018 we'll be waiting for part 2...

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Will be hilarious if each new part advertises like a MMO addon.

- Raises the level cap by 20
- Adds new exciting environments
- New skills and summons
- New enemies and bosses
etc etc.

Actually it wouldnt be too bad if they split it into 3 parts and released them annually, like lotr movies.

Never played the original game tho, assuming the amount of content in it is comparable to the lotr instead of the hobbit.

SPAW

what is is with people and overreacting on neogaf.... Starcraft have been doing this fore several years.

Anyways, am i now to understand that FFVII-threads will reach the same shite posting trend of ffxv threads?

Yeah, I'm gonna wait for the "Complete Edition" that'll release once all the episodes are out. Watch it be a single disc and solve their "data size so huge" problem because "We've had a lot more time to work on the PS 4 now" or some such vague nonsense.

I can't fault them for this though, coz FF7 was a huge game and maybe they don't want to fully commit to remaking it unless they know for sure that it will sell like gangbusters and quickly break even.

liquidtmd

Banned
Actually it wouldnt be too bad if they split it into 3 parts and released them annually, like lotr movies.

Never played the original game tho, assuming the amount of content in it is comparable to the lotr instead of the hobbit.

The 'amount' of content in the Hobbit wasn't the problem

Well, I just want to remind you on a certain interview with Kitase from 2010:

IF it were possible that we had all the right facilities and the right environment to be able to make and prepare a Final Fantasy VII remake within a year, we’d very much like a go at it! But even Final Fantasy XIII has taken over three and a half years to create. If we were to recreate final Fantasy VII with the same level of graphical detail as you see in Final Fantasy XIII, we’d imagine that that would take as much as three or four times longer than the three and a half years it has taken to put this Final Fantasy together! So it’s looking pretty unrealistic! But if any such situation came about by any remote chance, then yes, we’d do it!

http://www.techdigest.tv/2010/02/final_fantasy_x_1.html

Kitase literally said developing FF VII-R would take 10 years or more. Maybe this explains why they chose the episodic approach.

ITA84

Can't say I didn't expect this, seeing how the trailer only had scenes from the very beginning of the game. I'm sure they'll release the full game later on in some form, but I suppose it makes more sense (and money) to do this now: FFVII doesn't lend itself much to in-game purchases, so this is another way to price the game higher overall (asking more than, say, 100$ for the full game wouldn't have worked).

Don't get me wrong, I hate this trend too.

Well, I hadn't really considered the possibility of episodes, but it's not shocking to hear either, and I'm not too disheartened, it makes sense a few ways.

Obviously they can split up the game, which lets them focus deeply on each part. This could could well be hundreds of hours of gameplay, by the sounds they're making. They seem committed to keep the original stuff, and adding new ideas. If they can just work on Midgar, then the first continent, the second and so on, they can set realistic goals for content/asset creation in manageable chunks. They can release on realistic dates. They have good review milestones to make sure the team isn't loosing their shit. They have milestones to hear fan feedback and add tweaks both in the next installments and retroactively. They have milestones of sales and return profit to show investors on what will, regardless of release strategy, be a huge multiyear massive budget investment.

As mentioned, I hadn't really considered episodic, but realistically, I'm not sure how you could release the original PS1 games as one game in one go without taking so load, the project dates itself into oblivion by the time it releases. Big worry would be whether they can keep schedule, and that is a big if, but at least FFXV will have helped them get the tech in a mature place before even starting, and since it's a general adaptation, they have a framework to start with in all design aspects before they dive in and start debating what to do with X feature and so on.

Fingers crossed!

BocoDragon

Yeah, I'm gonna wait for the "Complete Edition" that'll release once all the episodes are out. Watch it be a single disc and solve their "data size so huge" problem because "We've had a lot more time to work on the PS 4 now" or some such vague nonsense.

I can't fault them for this though, coz FF7 was a huge game and maybe they don't want to fully commit to remaking it unless they know for sure that it will sell like gangbusters and quickly break even.

I believe the "data size" comment has zero to do with disc space.

The data means amount of content: story, world, gameplay, battle systems.

Let's just hope that we won't have to pay for each disc this time around tho
Of course we will, it'll be like FFVIIR1-1, FFVIIR1-2, and they will probably be full retail disc releases, and full price.
BUT as a trade off we may get 60+ hour content on each disc, with everything the original game offered and more, content wise.

Herbs

Banned
VvPbXTH.gif

FTFY

perfection

Isn't that the whole point of doing it multi-part?

To offset the astronomical costs of this project considering the size of the game FFVII is...

Yeah, it was a huge game. I'm fine with this being released on 3 games and it makes sense from a storage and business perspective. Hopefully it won't take too long for the next parts to come out because Disc 1 ended on such a high note.

I'm assuming Square will definitely earn more money by releasing the remake in installments, but it'll be interesting to see if the sales numbers drop off with each successive game. If FFVII-R comes out in one go, you can catch everyone with the nostalgia hype, and pick up all the new consumers that want to get in on the excitement. When release becomes more staggered (and consumers kinda know there will be an ultimate edition one day), people won't rush out to buy it quite as urgently. (ie. consumers holding on Rise of the Tomb Raider's later releases, or waiting for sales days for Assassin's Creed.) We've seen remaster sales numbers drop, too, ie. KH 1.5 HD to KH 2.5 HD, though a remake of FFVII is a whole different beast than a remaster. I guess even if the numbers do drop of between games, multiple games making an average amount of money is still more than one game making a lot.

They'll have to do great job with FFVIIR-1, too, or people might not rushing out to buy the next one. I'm just worried the first game would do well, the second one might only do average, and then when it comes time for the big climatic final game, the budget has been cut because it didn't do as well as Square hoped. I'm not sure what would be worse - a gutted FFVII remake, or a multi-game series that ends on a whimper.

jurgen

It's disappointing.

But this should be a great example of the cost and overall state of game development these days. You have a game that would be an assumed, instant money-printer being broken up into pieces because of development time and costs. The "go big or go home" attitude of the market these days is killing the industry. This is the same industry and company that famously deemed the last Tomb Raider game a sales failure after it sold 3.4 million copies in the first month. There's just no room for error or shortcomings of any kind in today's market and that is probably causing some weariness among investors. Simply put, this game's development would have been smoother in the industry 10 years ago.

Square Enix published 7 titles in 2015 that weren't remakes/remasters. 2005 had 17. I'm not trying to play armchair economist here but the lack of a stronger "middle market" in video games today is making these larger productions like a FFVII remake more of a financial gamble for Square Enix and is probably a driving factor for splitting the game up more than any appeal of a "cash grab."

I think it's lazy thinking to believe that this is just Square Enix being greedy.

neptunes

I always wondered, the amount of time they'll spend making a remake, they could have spent making new experiences.

That was always my concern before the remake was officially announced.

Hostile_18

Banned
Honestly they should just not go for as realistic graphics. It's all relative I mean Final Fantasy 7 PS1 was made in one go and yes although there's more work for a modern title the processes for making them has become easier (third party software etc).

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's lazy thinking to believe that this is just Square Enix being greedy.

Agreed, more a case of them not being very smart about it.

You don't need state of the art graphic fidelity to make something look awesome.
They could have stayed way closer to the original by aiming for an insanely awesome graphical style instead of chasing poly count.

It's not like 7 looks great right now, the room of improvement is gigantic without going next(current) gen graphics.

But then maybe I'm wrong I just want to believe that style will always beat pure graphical fidelity. Maybe you need cutting edge graphics to get that big money....

When I think on it, of course Square would do this. Of course they'll get you to buy 4 full price games for this. And you'll do it, because it's Final Fantasy VII dammit!

Neff

For the longest time I've supposed that if a FFVII remake were ever to happen, it'd be episodic, with dramatic changes and possible omissions. People forget just how gargantuan the game is, and assume the developers will just somehow make it all in beautiful HD graphics in an equivalent AAA timeframe. It can't be done.

UrbanRats

Sort of expected, tbh.
Games were huge back then because they looked like trash.
Having today's production value with that amount of content? A whole different beast.
Unless people are fine waiting 6 or 7 years for this thing to come out.

MrBadger

It was a popular opinion before that FF7 was so big that making a remake with visuals up to the modern standard would be unreasonable. I suppose this is the compromise.

Jinroh

That was totally expected, everyone was wondering what would be cut from the game. It's a good alternative if those games are long enough.

I'm just craving for exploration, I really hope they won't be similar to FF13.

Hostile_18

Banned
Sort of expected, tbh.
Games were huge back then because they looked like trash.
Having today's production value with that amount of content? A whole different beast.
Unless people are fine waiting 6 or 7 years for this thing to come out.

Was the Lightning trilogy not equally big games with decent graphics made in a sensible time frame? (I never played them, genuine question).

jurgen

Agreed, more a case of them not being very smart about it.

You don't need state of the art graphic fidelity to make something look awesome.
They could have stayed way closer to the original by aiming for an insanely awesome graphical style instead of chasing poly count.

It's not like 7 looks great right now, the room of improvement is gigantic without going next(current) gen graphics.

But then maybe I'm wrong I just want to believe that style will always beat pure graphical fidelity. Maybe you need cutting edge graphics to get that big money....

I think they're wanting to go all out graphically because the FF series was a contemporary graphical powerhouse from VII to XII on their respective consoles.

nerdypxel

Banned
With this and news about multiple studios involved I'm pretty sure the game's gonna be massive. Charging 60 bucks for that amount of content is unfair to developers, so find it okay if square releases 3 separate games with 30+ hours of gameplay and shitload of development videos both from 1996 and 2016. Also lets not forget that Nomura wanted to make a remake fans will like, meaning that each episode will likely be tweaked to match all the neogaf perverted ideas

BocoDragon

Was the Lightning trilogy not equally big games with decent graphics made in a sensible time frame? (I never played them, genuine question).

I would say that no FF since the PS1 days has been as "big".

They've gotten bigger in terms of game length... but the scope has been greatly reduced from the world-spanning PS1 games. You're just exploring an island chain (FFX). Or a small country (FFXII). Or a straight line (that's an FFXIII joke). Or a series of disconnected levels disguised as time travel (XIII-2). Or again.. a small country (Lightning Returns).

jfoul

It'll be interesting to see how much content each episode contains, and how long between releases. I wouldn't be surprised to see these episodes going for $29.99 or more. Fans wanted it, and are definitely going to pay for it.

Arizato

Ugh... I embraced the new battle system. I thought it looked kinda cool, actually!

But this decision is so obviously made so they can cut corners in the content. The only thing I want is a faithful remake with a world map, lots of shit to do and just a traditional FF game with the necessary updates to make it more with the current times.

Why is it so hard to do something like that? Ni No Kuni managed to have a great world map, it brought the feeling of classic JRPG exploration back in a really good way. Though it lacked stuff in other departments.

I just have a bad feeling that this will effect a "complete" edition greatly in a way as well. Items might be missable, areas might be locked into story specific events, many areas will probably be cut, probably no world map (And if they had one, how would they even handle it? Invisible walls locking off content until the next episode?).

But this is my fault, right? I actually got excited over a major console Square-Enix release. Shouldn't have done that.

jurgen

They weren't exactly made within a sensible timeframe. Development started in 2004. The first game wasn't released in Japan until 2009 and the west in 2010.

Hostile_18

Banned
I would say that no FF since the PS1 days has been as "big".

They've gotten bigger in terms of game length... but the scope has been greatly reduced from the world-spanning PS1 games. You're just exploring an island chain. Or a small country. Or a straight line (that's an FFXIII joke). Or a series of disconnected levels disguised as time travel (XIII-2). Or again.. a small country (Lightning Returns).

Despite Final Fantasy 7 and 8 having world maps from memory there wasn't that much you could do away from the main missions and the side places you could visit were quite small? The world maps themselves were very basic as well, wouldn't take much to update them if they kept it like for like. :)

The Jason

Disc 1 Disc 2 Disc 3
Remake 1 Remake 2 Remake 3

We've always had an episodic FF7. It's just back then we got it all at once spanning 3 discs.

The only reason there was 3 disks was because of the limitations of CD. And we didn't have to wait for part 2 or 3, nor did we have to pay an additional cost.

I really hope the remake is in 3 parts or less. I'm now hoping for 2, FFVIIR-1 and FFVIIR-2, of course they really should just delay it and make it all one game.

My Guess, two parts, $60 each.

Top Bottom