• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake is a multi-part series

Daffy Duck

Wow, this is one of those moments I wish I'd have put my balls on the line, just yesterday I was wondering now if they would make this episodic or not (I did question whether it would be full retail release or not) but didn't go as far to ask this question.

Guess we have to wait and see how it all pans out I guess. Hopefully we get the full experience.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Okay, so disc 1 2017 confirmed? I'm getting the feeling Midgar is going to be densely populated as fuck and it's going to feel like a full game, not some Ground Zeroes or a single Telltale Games episode. I think they're going to try to milk this for all it's worth, so 3 full games?

I don't like it but it's not like we have a choice. I'll wait for a disc, however long that takes. Not happy about episodes one bit, I expect complete games and hate that episodic practice, but I trust Square Enix to make ambitious games and release them physically...

I'll withhold judgement cause it's not like Square Enix is cheap... I don't like the precedent though.

If it's episodic I'll have to wait for the full season, but reading the tweets in OP we could be looking at 40-50 GB games. This could be the most ambitious gaming project of all-time...a second time! Don't forget that the CG for FFVII made it the most expensive game ever made when it came out in 1997!

Totori

Banned
This game having a world map, is going to seem unlikely, it'll likely have set key areas you can explore though.

Also seeing Cloud with 2000HP running through Shinra soldiers, makes me wonder if the it'll be like the FF4TAY regarding level's and set up. But could also just be a alpha showing off the battle system, and in general gameplay.

If they wanted to do it in multiple pieces, would it be like
Episode: Midgar
Episode: Gold Saucer
Episode: Nibelheim
Episode: Temple of the Ancients
Episode: Mideel
Episode: Rise of Weapon
Final Episode

But even with that... damn that's a lot.

Fucks sake.

There's no way I'm buying this in episodes. We already have the definitive version, the original.

At some point there will be a bundle with all of them together, that's the time to buy it. But it's hard for me to support this terrible practise honestly.

meanspartan

Yeah, yeah, yeah, "HD towns are hard," I get it. It's rough out there for SE these days. I'm still not going to be buying Final Fantasy VII: Early Access. Because that's all this is. An unfinished game being sold to consumers with a promise that the rest is going to come - and since this is SE - come at a reasonable rate of release.

The problem here is the obvious to anybody who thinks about it for a second. If they have to break it apart because suddenly a 20 year old game simply has too much content, that means they'll still be working on future installments when they release Episode One. And have you met SE? Given their history, how can anybody, with a straight face, believe that they'll be able to push out the other pieces at a reasonable rate?

And let's say this breaks ground for them and that becomes a possibility. So? We're still paying for pieces of a game. Meanwhile, every other RPG on the face of the planet somehow manages to sell itself as a complete experience. We wouldn't stand for MGSV being sold to us in fractions. Or Dragon Age: Inquisition being sold by the area, with the story dependent on being split across the series.

I simply don't care about their front-facing excuses and "please understands." It's all bullshit, and it's not bullshit we'd tolerate under any other circumstances. That's my entire point. They're doing this because they know they can, because no matter what they did here - short of making it a mobile on game or something - fans are still going to buy it, still going to defend it and still pretend that it's a great thing that when they leave Midgar they're faced with "Thanks for playing, see you again in Episode 2: Nibelheim Burns"

On the fucking money.

It really just bothers me how many people on here are pretending they are ok with it, and even chiding others for raging. As if they fucking would have ever in a million years preferred an episodic release over a true single nice long remake.

Ultimately, if this gets divided into parts and each part is at least 30 hours long or something, I guess Ill fucking live with it. But I doubt it.

Famassu

Yeah, yeah, yeah, "HD towns are hard," I get it. It's rough out there for SE these days. I'm still not going to be buying Final Fantasy VII: Early Access. Because that's all this is. An unfinished game being sold to consumers with a promise that the rest is going to come - and since this is SE - come at a reasonable rate of release.

The problem here is the obvious to anybody who thinks about it for a second. If they have to break it apart because suddenly a 20 year old game simply has too much content, that means they'll still be working on future installments when they release Episode One. And have you met SE? Given their history, how can anybody, with a straight face, believe that they'll be able to push out the other pieces at a reasonable rate?

And let's say this breaks ground for them and that becomes a possibility. So? We're still paying for pieces of a game. Meanwhile, every other RPG on the face of the planet somehow manages to sell itself as a complete experience. We wouldn't stand for MGSV being sold to us in fractions. Or Dragon Age: Inquisition being sold by the area, with the story dependent on being split across the series.

I simply don't care about their front-facing excuses and "please understands." It's all bullshit, and it's not bullshit we'd tolerate under any other circumstances. That's my entire point. They're doing this because they know they can, because no matter what they did here - short of making it a mobile on game or something - fans are still going to buy it, still going to defend it and still pretend that it's a great thing that when they leave Midgar they're faced with "Thanks for playing, see you again in Episode 2: Nibelheim Burns"
You really need to step back from your computer, go take a walk outside and come back with a clearer mind. Just because a game with the amount of content FFVII has in the style of the original PS1 game could be made with a reasonable budget back then (though, do take into account that even the original is still one of the most expensive games ever made), that doesn't mean that a game that, in many ways, has to expand on that premise is even remotely similar in scope.

They not only have to recreate fucktons of iconic locations in meticulous detail & full 3d where you can see everything from every angle & create all the vistas surrounding those places that you could just ignore in a static pre-rendered background, but they also have to create more seamless, connected environments, meaning they not only have to re-create old locations, they also have to create tons of places that are in between those locations that they never had to worry about in the past when they could just put a loading screen to transition between two places. That's a huge additional workload. And this is all with PS4 level, insanely detailed graphics. That's not even taking into account possible new stuff that they are not making just to connect old areas to each other, but are making to flesh out/expand the world of FFVII even further.

If you seriously can't understand how massive an undertaking that is, then maybe refrain from making silly comments like you just did.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Ultimately, if this gets divided into parts and each part is at least 30 hours long or something, I guess Ill fucking live with it. But I doubt it.

I'd bet each of these parts is greater than 30 hours apiece.

I think people assuming this is the same old 40 hour game cut into pieces aren't thinking about how much the scope of a modern game will inflate each element in the old scenario to a huge degree.

chozen

This will be the next most ambitious title to date. This is going to be huge. It will be a long project but when it's done, you will have a living breathing world of FF7.

People aren't getting the picture now. But when it's finished they will. I'm sure square knows what they are doing.

Quick stuff from interviews

-they made multi-release since they would have to cut stuff out if they made it in one game. The detail of the game will be so dense, and you will be able to go to various locations within Midgar that you couldn't go before.
-there will be some stuff that has to be cut, but there will be lots of stuff added. overall volume will be big
-They are working with various companies outside, including CC2
-The battle system is real-time, action feel. The degree of action will be "Dissidia > Kingdom Hearts> FF7 remake" It will be more tactical.
-Although it's action style, it has ATB as well.
-You can control other party members, but you can keep control one if you want
-3 party members at a time like the original

Unhhhh. Yessss.

Let's have costume DLCs too while we're at it, SE. I'm ready to empty out my wallet. (this is not sarcasm)

I'm not that upset about it, save one detail. There will be no connected, coherent world through which we can seamlessly traverse. How does it work if you want to take your "episode 2" characters into episode 1 content? Will there be artificial walls added to the story? Not at all caring about longer waits, spending more money, whatever whatever. Losing a single, coherent world is genuinely the only thing that sucks IMO. Maybe they will add the episodes like dlc to the same binary so that you can have this coherence?

image.php

This is the exchange I've been waiting for.

FF7R redeemed.

CamHostage

Hitman is kinda different.

$60 means you're getting everything they plan for the game at just that cost.

You don't know where these episodic FFVII games will begin and end, for you're expected to buy them in multiple parts, on multiple discs I'd imagine.

Hitman is probably kinda different...

Maybe more's been said in other interviews that somebody could correct me on, but there's no official word on pricing or bundling for FF VII Remake, or what the disc plan is, if any. So it too could be a $60 subscription-based release. (Seems crazy that FFVII Remake wouldn't come in a box, but Hitman isn't launching in a box either. Maybe they'll sell a retail PSN redemption card? And they'll have to put a disc out when all the content is launched?) There's also nothing in the official statement about whether episode release would be simultaneous or staggered or how it'll all work together.

(It feels like a safe bet to agree with your assumption, that the episodes will be spaced out in order to allow development time and also conceivably to deliver episodes that really each are "providing its own unique experience ... but then again, WSJ's Mochizuki chalks it up to "data size so huge", not development time or creative use of episodic releasing or even just Hobbit'ized over-development/over-monitization or anything that clicks completely.)

Hitman has an online component that doesn't seem like a sensible fit for FFVII, so selling it as a digital-first (and perhaps digital-only?) product is more logical than Remake. Other than that, though, nothing yet officially says that FF VII Remake will not follow Hitman as its release template.

I agree, it'll likely be different in the end (and if Hitman is a flop then there may be some rethinking, unless as some assume the plan really is to make three FFVII Remake boxed games ala FFXIII, and then it's onward-ho to the cash registers...) But it could be more similar than you or I expect.

Lucifon

I kind of wish this wasn't a thing anymore :( all most fans wanted was updated visuals and presentation to FF7 - the gameplay etc is just find. Kind of Monkey Island SE style.

But breaking it up into episodes, combat changes, navigation changes, story changes etc all seems like it's basically a completely different game. If they're going to change so much why not just make a new game in the same universe.

I knew it was all too good to be true; there had to be a catch somewhere.

When all the episodic content is out and they release it in one catch-all boxset, that's when I'll buy it.

Even with the initial shock gone, this still reeks of smarmy milking.

I mean is this gonna have more content than something like GTA5?

Gold Saucer alone terrifies me in this scenario.

I wanna believe it's cause they wanna beef up the content like they claim, but ffs their track record isn't any reassurance.

Condom

This will be the next most ambitious title to date. This is going to be huge. It will be a long project but when it's done, you will have a living breathing world of FF7.

People aren't getting the picture now. But when it's finished they will. I'm sure square knows what they are doing.
Lol

Lol I don't even give a shit.

Make as many parts as you want Square. Make them substantial and make them good. I'd take a FF7 remake split into pieces over the dumpster fire that FFXIII-1-2-3 were any day. I've got plenty to play while I wait for each installment anyway. Take your time.

Famassu

This just proves the right remake to do was VI all along.
If you wanted a PS4 remake of FFVI, then I don't see how that would've been all that much better. FFVI is a massive game as well, especially considering it has two drastically different versions of the game's planet. At least FFVII can do with only one version of all the environments (except a few that get destroyed :p )

Hedge

I don't love the game enough that I must own it right away. I can easily wait for it to drop in price and - for once - buy used.
But then again, I am one of the few that never wanted a remake in the first place, so..

But I can't believe they are basically chopping up the game like this. Don't think I've seen that before, outside of highly narrative driven games like Tell-Tales.

I think it depends on how many releases they are planning, how much content and the price.

If they are doing it like 3 discs from original at $30 dollars each then I'd be OK with that.

If its FFVII - Remake of 1: Midgar.
Remake 2- Junon to flying saucer
3- Cosno Canyon to end of disc 1 spoiler
Etc. I would feel ripped off.

Freeman76

Man how many drama queens in one place? Cant understand why so many think this is an issue, we still get the game. First world problems and all that.

Ploid 3.0

I was willing to wait however long it would take for them to finish it. I've been waiting since that first FF7 tech demo, waiting some more years would be nothing. Why couldn't the anniversary be a few years from now. They should just put the demo up for the Anniversary. Sounds like a segmented game with possible heavily altered features, like overworld, due to broken up game.

I hope when the complete version is out it will all piece together into one game. Example PC version ,if it's made after all parts are out, is just one game.

anothertech

Quick stuff from interviews

-they made multi-release since they would have to cut stuff out if they made it in one game. The detail of the game will be so dense, and you will be able to go to various locations within Midgar that you couldn't go before.
-there will be some stuff that has to be cut, but there will be lots of stuff added. overall volume will be big
-They are working with various companies outside, including CC2
-The battle system is real-time, action feel. The degree of action will be "Dissidia > Kingdom Hearts> FF7 remake" It will be more tactical.
-Although it's action style, it has ATB as well.
-You can control other party members, but you can keep control one if you want
-3 party members at a time like the original
Yes. Liking the sound of it.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Probably they're going for a trilogy with Midgard being the first part of it. Sincerely I didn't expect this, but I guess I'll adapt if each and every episode feels like a full-fledged jRPG. At least they can make sure everything is dense and packed with content and quality.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
You really need to step back from your computer, go take a walk outside and come back with a clearer mind. Just because a game with the amount of content FFVII has in the style of the original PS1 game could be made with a reasonable budget back then (though, do take into account that even the original is still one of the most expensive games ever made), that doesn't mean that a game that, in many ways, has to expand on that premise is even remotely similar in scope.

They not only have to recreate fucktons of iconic locations in meticulous detail & full 3d where you can see everything from every angle & create all the vistas surrounding those places that you could just ignore in a static pre-rendered background, but they also have to create more seamless, connected environments, meaning they not only have to re-create old locations, they also have to create tons of places that are in between those locations that they never had to worry about in the past when they could just put a loading screen to transition between two places. That's a huge additional workload. And this is all with PS4 level, insanely detailed graphics. That's not even taking into account possible new stuff that they are not making just to connect old areas to each other, but are making to flesh out/expand the world of FFVII even further.

If you seriously can't understand how massive an undertaking that is, then maybe refrain from making silly comments like you just did.

Is there anything more eye-rolling than the "maybe you should go outside" jab? For one - and this may be a surprise to you - you are also posting on NeoGAF.com about an Japanese roleplaying game. Your posts - given the context - are no less indicative of a plurality of time or emotion than mine.

If you want to pull that particular thread, let's go ahead and look at which one of us has dozens upon dozens of posts about the remake and which one of us doesn't. I have made, in total, about 5-6 posts (I think). You have literally dozens. So, if you really want to play that childish game, be my guest. Or you can learn to handle dissent like an adult. Your call.

Secondly, I would like you to find one instance where I said, or implied, that making Final Fantasy VII Remake is easy or that it's a simple undertaking. I'll save you the time. You won't find it. I never once implied it, so your entire point falls entirely flat.

Of course it's a massive undertaking. Guess what else is, though? Every single other major RPG made. Xenogears Chronicles is absolutely massive. Dragon Age: Inquisition was an enormous undertaking that had to wrap up a trilogy of efforts. Divinity was massive and it was made by a handful of people for what amounted to minimum wage. Yet, those games somehow managed to be entire packages. Just like other games managed to do HD towns just fine when it was just too difficult for SE at the time.

Kain

If you wanted a PS4 remake of FFVI, then I don't see how that would've been all that much better. FFVI is a massive game as well, especially considering it has two drastically different versions of the game's planet. At least FFVII can do with only one version of all the environments (except a few that get destroyed :p )

VI is not so big by any means, the script alone is way shorter. I have more problems imagining Opera part without it looking ridiculous to be honest xD

Ceravic

I'd bet each of these parts is greater than 30 hours apiece.

I think people assuming this is the same old 40 hour game cut into pieces aren't thinking about how much the scope of a modern game will inflate each element in the old scenario to a huge degree.

Honestly, now that the rage has died down if this is the scenario I think I could live with it. If each part is a full game, and not some bullshit 15 hour episode with a "to be continued in episode 2" thing I'll be back on board. The thought of a fully fleshed out Midgar where you can explore all eight sectors and maybe even the top part of it would be awesome. Also, the final dungeon being the
Shinra building
made to scale would be pretty awesome too. Maybe they'll expand out the story and let you do more than just a couple AVALANCHE missions with Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie so when
they die
it can pack an even more emotional punch could be good. But it only works for me if each part is a full game.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i'm not angry about this, really.

you have the original game, its a classic, nothing can be better. i think having this remake as an episodic thing might be more interesting in the end. plus you can just get the whole thing when its done if you really feel miffed.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Is it explained if they intend the game to be episodic (a la TellTale, Life is Strange ect.) or just more games part of a trilogy or such? (Mass Effect, FFXIII trilogy ect.). I see everyone is assuming this is more like a Telltale game but I'm not sure from where that comes.

Top Bottom