• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 16 Sony Exclusive Rumor 👀

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If we end up with some unique Japanese titles as a result (not FF as it is in this case) then I'm all for it.

If it's just gonna be shit like this at the expense of them investing in Sony Japan then no bueno.
I honestly find it waste of money, there are already Japanese developers like Vanillaware and many others bringing unique Japanese games exclusively to PlayStation without Sony spending a penny and even without next mainline Final Fantasy being exclusive, it will still sell best on PlayStation systems. This is just pointless, I rather they spend that money to create studio that makes both unique Japanese games and JRPGs.

GHG

I honestly find it waste of money, there are already Japanese developers like Vanillaware and many others bringing unique Japanese games exclusively to PlayStation without Sony spending a penny and even without next mainline Final Fantasy being exclusive, it will still sell best on PlayStation systems. This is just pointless, I rather they spend that money to create studio that makes both unique Japanese games and JRPGs.

Honestly speaking I would as well considering the state of the last few FF mainline titles (remake aside).

I'll see what this game is like though before fully judging.

I get why they are doing this deal though if its true. This is kind of a "nail in the coffin" type deal that solidifies the idea JRPG games (and people who like those games) are on PlayStation rather than Xbox. It's a strategic play early on in the gen that could have a knock on effect, meaning all developers for next gen JRPG's releasing later in the consoles life-cycle will question whether it's even worth doing an Xbox version of the game if the audience isn't there.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Like i've always said: timed exclusives are a waste of money.The most they can do is to annoy some people but never enough to make them buy a hardware that they had no intention on buying. In an age where even the most poor gamer has hundrends of games waiting to be played who cares if they wait a bit more to play a game on their platform of choice.

IMO Sony should know better and continue to invest on their first party studios and stop doing what Microsoft did during the 360 era (which brought them to their current situation). Or if they are so desperate and have money to burn both Sony and MS should invest to full exclusives (from 3rd parties) instead of pointless timed ones.

Last edited:

cireza

What a surprise. Sony buying its place in the market since 1995. And Sony fans are happy with this, even though they did not gain anything. The fact of depriving others is what is fun !

Last edited:

Allandor

After the FFXV disaster, I'm really not interested in another FF from squareenix. They have totally lost their story-telling talent.

What a surprise. Sony buying its place in the market since 1995. And Sony fans are happy with this, even though they did not gain anything. The fact of depriving others is what is fun !
Well, it is quite the opposite if MS does that.
General, I really don't like buying 3rd party exclusivity. It makes sense if it is a project, that would otherwise not get started (like Titanfall) but for everything else, it is just madness. But well, FF lost much of their fanbase with the last entries, so I don't see a the big picture for that.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Honestly speaking I would as well considering the state of the last few FF mainline titles (remake aside).

I'll see what this game is like though before fully judging.

I get why they are doing this deal though if its true. This is kind of a "nail in the coffin" type deal that solidifies the idea JRPG games (and people who like those games) are on PlayStation rather than Xbox. It's a strategic play early on in the gen that could have a knock on effect meaning all JRPG developers will question whether it's even worth doing an Xbox version of the game if the audience isn't there.
Thats already is the case without Sony wasting money since Xbox just not doing well in Japan. Its fucking waste of money and whats worst, these days Sony mostly just investing on their first party western developers and I'm getting so fucking sick of it.

I WANT MY FIRST PARTY JRPG BACK!!!!
tenor.gif

Last edited:

GHG

Thats already is the case without Sony wasting money since Xbox just not doing well in Japan. Its fucking waste of money and whats worst, these days Sony mostly just investing on their first party western developers and I'm getting so fucking sick of it.

I WANT MY FIRST PARTY JRPG BACK!!!!
tenor.gif

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they also have some kind of shitty deal with Rockstar as well.

RIP gravity rush.

sublimit

Banned
Not all Sony fans agree with this bullshit just like how not all Xbox fans agree with this practice when MS was and still is doing it.

GHG

Like a return to Legend of Dragoon? That would be awesome.

They should be paying Square to resurrect Parasite Eve and Vagrant Story instead of handing over cash for a game that was already coming to PS5 anyway.

PresetError

Neophyte
Not a big fan of the Final Fantasy franchise but this move would be nothing new under the sun. Sony invests in timed exclusives because they work. Now more than ever first months of a game is where sales are at.

Danjin44

Sony invests in timed exclusives because they work.
This is like Sony pays Square to make Dragon Quest XII exclusive to Playstation, exclusive or not that game is going sell crazy numbers on Playstation no matter fucking what! Whats the fucking point!?

Last edited:

Senhua

Eh, at this point don't really care much for this "fake" exclusivity deals.
After gotten caught so many times (FFVIIR/MHW/Utawarerumono/Yakuza/Octopath/Daemon/DQXIS and countless others),
I think it's best to wait for one years for all third party "exclusive" games on consoles to see if they "land" on PC or not and then I will make buying decision for it.
Already did for Sakura Wars, P5R, NiOh2, 13th, Brigandine etc anyway.

Last edited:
MS has more money, do third parties give them the bird because their hardware sells like ass compared to playstation and to recoup missed playstation sales, exclusivity is just that much more expensive? Because when it comes to buying out studios and making their own new games, MS has really ramped it up and far surpassed Sony recently.

Huh? Surpassed Sony in number of acquisitions or number of new games? Are you talking about game quality?

martino

judging by ffVX sales on pc/xbox (~30%) square can ask a lot for a full lock.
this is a deal easilly above 50M$ that can even reach 100M$ territory

supernova8

Banned
Being an exclusive to PS5 is not really a big of a deal when most sales of FFXV on PS4 anyway. Maybe it’s not worth the development cost for Xbox compared to the expected sales so PS5 exclusive is the logical step.

Come on you have to make it for those 3 whole people in Japan who will buy an Xbox Series X.

jigglet

Banned
God, can we not do this shit? Even if the game was fully revealed TOMORROW we'd be up for 2 years of debating over what "exclusivity" really means. Do we need to do this shit potentially years before the actual reveal?

Hunnybun

Not a big fan of the Final Fantasy franchise but this move would be nothing new under the sun. Sony invests in timed exclusives because they work. Now more than ever first months of a game is where sales are at.

Yeah I think people don't appreciate how true this is. From Sony's point of view, having a game be exclusive for a year is probably like 90% as good as it being permanently exclusive.

Just from my own experience, who even thinks about games once they're a year old? The hype is completely over, the world's moved on.

But it still sucks from my perspective. I really get no benefit at all from these deals. I've no desire to deprive Xbox owners from playing particular games. I do like exclusives, but not because they're EXCLUSIVE, per se. Rather because they can take full advantage of the system they're running on (perhaps even more tantalising with the PS5 than the PS4, despite the somewhat reversed power differential from the Xbox - it's unique in even more interesting ways). But that's unlikely to be the case with these timed exclusives. So how does that help me?

If Sony feels they need more exclusives - and I strongly agree that they do - why don't they just open more studios? Why were they so quick to close Evolution and Guerrilla Cambridge (2 very decent developers, even if they had their misses)? Why did they let Facebook get Ready at Dawn?

It's all a bit disappointing.

killatopak

This is like Sony pays Square to make Dragon Quest XII exclusive to Playstation, exclusive or not that game is going sell crazy numbers on Playstation no matter fucking what! Whats the fucking point!?
Make you buy a Playstation.

That’e the first step to make you invest in their ecosystem. Since you already have a playstation, might as well buy the other exclusives. Might as well pay for ps+ for multiplayer. It’s stuff like that.

Wouldn't it be better if an MMORPG could be played by more ppl? its a /shrug from me in terms of Sony exclusive but personally it would be better suited as a cross platform game.

killatopak

They can still achieve same thing with first party Japanese games instead of wasting money on third party timed exclusives.
They probably thought of that too but it’s too much of a risk when FF or DQ is a sure thing.

Think of it this way. In Microsoft’s case, when they got Tomb Raider as a timed exclusive, it’s not that they don’t want to make a third person action game in the vein of Uncharted, it’s that they either don’t have an established ip or studio to make that kind of game.

thelastword

Banned
I think it is what it is, but things like that are sometimes dictated by the market and the popularity of certain consoles. In the PS2 gen Sony didn't have to moneyhat third party exclusives, everybody just wanted their games on PS2 and they got immense rewards. You could even say third party software was better then, more ambitious, more polished because the devs focused on one piece of hardware and gave it their all, used that hardware to it's maximum capability.

With PS4's astounding success, devs got insight of where gamers love to play, they see where the passion in gaming lies. Devs are also pretty stoked by the custom hardware that Cerny have conjured for next gen and with that combination of great efficient hardware + mindshare. They can focus on giving their best development to one piece of hardware where there will be no fallback relative to sales or quality. Their game will be more polished and perhaps their Meta will once again skyrocket. It's really a win win situation for such devs, notwithstanding, Sony is pretty helpful with devs making such exclusives, the ICE team will work with you to give all insights into the hardware. People simply don't understand how condense that GDC Cerny talk was, he said, less than 1 month to triangle, which means, you can make higher quality games in less time than PS1.....Of course, third party exclusives like these were pretty popular in the PS1 days too.....Goes to show, Cerny is the genius that said so much in that one hour. I'm sure there are more clues left in that GDC talk, well worth picking....

royox

It is being developed by the division behind FFXIV, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will be an online game.

Wasn't it a rumour that got debunked months ago? YoshiP's team is 100% focused on 14 and now more than ever after the success of shadowbringers.

Three

Phil Spencer needs to wake up! If Microsoft wants a chance against Sony... they need to go this route. AAA 3rd party exclusives (or timed) like Sony is doing. A few exclusive 3rd party AA/indies isn't going to cut it.

Like all investments, you need to spend money to make money. Sony knows that.
The problem is that these deals don't make sense for MS anymore. As much as MS are pretending and releasing PR about this being not something they want to support the truth is that they would have done it if it made business sense.

MS don't have the large install base, they don't have the type of people who buy these games. So for MS to propose to another company to release on their console and not on the other is asking that company to give up a very large chunk of sales. What MS would rather do now is buy small studios and bring out B or AA games for gamepass more regularly. That makes more sense for them with games that are not GaaS games filled with MTX.

FF 15 was hot garbage and there hasn't been a good FF game since FF10 - except for World of Final Fantasy (which I consider the real FF15) - so they're going to have to do better than this to persuade me.

FF as a series has lost its cache with gamers. It just doesn't hold the same brand power it used to.

Looks like square just shot themselves in the foot.....
How so?

List me the cons from a BUSINESS perspective IF it ends up being full or timed exclusive on the market leader. Just an aside, if this were to be full exclusive then it also helps Square with streamlining their development for ONE console, allowing them to maximize their potential with said console.

Last edited:
I think it is what it is, but things like that are sometimes dictated by the market and the popularity of certain consoles. In the PS2 gen Sony didn't have to moneyhat third party exclusives, everybody just wanted their games on PS2 and they got immense rewards. You could even say third party software was better then, more ambitious, more polished because the devs focused on one piece of hardware and gave it their all, used that hardware to it's maximum capability.

With PS4's astounding success, devs got insight of where gamers love to play, they see where the passion in gaming lies. Devs are also pretty stoked by the custom hardware that Cerny have conjured for next gen and with that combination of great efficient hardware + mindshare. They can focus on giving their best development to one piece of hardware where there will be no fallback relative to sales or quality. Their game will be more polished and perhaps their Meta will once again skyrocket. It's really a win win situation for such devs, notwithstanding, Sony is pretty helpful with devs making such exclusives, the ICE team will work with you to give all insights into the hardware. People simply don't understand how condense that GDC Cerny talk was, he said, less than 1 month to triangle, which means, you can make higher quality games in less time than PS1.....Of course, third party exclusives like these were pretty popular in the PS1 days too.....Goes to show, Cerny is the genius that said so much in that one hour. I'm sure there are more clues left in that GDC talk, well worth picking....

Not working for indies per say unless Sony highlights them. Sony's box has become the premium box - a hell of a lot of competition. Banger-fest duking it out.

If only Nintendo did a better job marketing great indies to pad the holes that the lack of big third party multiplats leave on their release schedule. Being hearing indies are doing great on the Switch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom