• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Washington Post: Console exclusivity key to ‘Final Fantasy VII Rebirth’ success, team says

image0.png

Securing the "Final Fantasy VII" trilogy as a console exclusive is a feather in the PlayStation cap. It's part of recognizing the original game's importance as a defining game for the PlayStation experience, said Christian Svensson, vice president of second- and third-party content ventures and strategic initiatives at Sony Interactive Entertainment.

Source

kiphalfton

So exclusive, you can't find physical versions of FFVII Remake Intergrade and FFVII Reunion (on PS5) anywhere brand new.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I typically dont care for moneyhats but this seems like an original investment from Sony back when it was first announced. I think this was around 2014-2015 when Phil was cancelling games like Scalebound while buying Minecraft for billions so this is on him. He couldve easily outbid sony or invested enough to secure a multiplatform release like Peter Moore did for FF13.

regardless, im not a fan of how this game was allowed to ship despite its visual inconsistencies. if the whole point of securing exclusives in one platform dedicated dev resulting in more polish and assistance from Sony engineers then this game should not have released with this many visual oddities. FF16 was a very polished experience in the 30 fps mode despite the uneven performance but i cant say the same for the 30 fps mode in Rebirth. If sony wants to buy these exclusives, they need to ensure visual standards that match their own first party standards.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I mean, Final Fantasy VII has been a big deal for PlayStation since the 90s. It's the only reason I bought a PS1 back then, and it's a huge reason why I bought a PS5 (along with Final Fantasy XVI). Hell, I bought a PS2 to play Final Fantasy X, and a PS4 just to play Type-0 and Final Fantasy XV.

Go_Ly_Dow

Perhaps Xbox gets FFXVI :unsure:

I think there were rumours that FF7 Remake was running on Switch 2 to a quality akin to the PS5 version, but I think this was debunked or is no longer valid.

Also I'd love to know how much Sony paid for this. 3 x AAA games and a significant IP.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
  • FFVII Remake's PS4 exclusivity period is over. SquareEnix is free to release the game wherever they want to.
  • FFVII Remake Intergrade's PS5 exclusivity period is over. SquareEnix is free to release the game wherever they want to
It's much more likely that SE simply studied how many copies they expected to sell on each platform and decided whether it was worth the cost to port and release on that platform. PC got the green light, Xbox didn't. It's that simple.
Or it is… and Square-Enid does not think it is a great return on investment despite the easy scaling myth while donating 30% of the proceeds to MS. Maybe MS insists on some GamePass clause… no, all suppositions are in MS favour and against others ;)? Come on…

Trying Not To Laugh Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

but we all knew that, so it was pretty much non news?
Not non news, I think this now rules out the Xbox and Switch 2 for good, or at least until the trilogy is complete by the end of this gen. It was always a grey area, but it seems Rebirth has pushed Sony over the edge considering the excellent reception.

Last edited:
Pretty expensive and bad deal for both parties i presume??

Remake sold some 7 million copies, probably just broke even. Rebirth sales will be limited by number of people who played Remake. So am assuming it will barely break even as well.

As for Sony, they are still paying pretty penny for marketing like this. Doubtful their 30% cut will amount to 100-200 million it must’ve cost to market these games.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The only game I've been looking forward to is Wolverine. Sucks if delayed.

Someone laughed at my first post. Not sure why. Maybe I missed an official announcement I guess.
He did say existing franchises until 2025, yes. So basically what that means is no TLOU3, Horizon 3, GoT 2, or Death Stranding 2 until March 2025. Wolverine is targeting 2026 according to the leaked insomniac slides.

Their next game is likely going to be the venom standalone dlc, but thats also set for 2025 and might launch alongside DS2 during holiday 2025.

The problem is that none of their big studios are ready because they all shipped games in 2022. ND, SSM, PD, GG. So they have to wait 5-6 years which takes them to 2027-2028. neil was on a podcast talking about how hard it is to make his next game because its so ambitious so they are still in the early stages for their next game. I think astrobot and bluepoint are the only ones who might be due for a release this year, and i highly doubt sony is releasing a major game within 6 months of announcing it. It will probably be a smaller $40-50 title from the astrobot devs while BP comes out next year with whatever $70 game they are working on.

Interfectum

Remake sold some 7 million copies, probably just broke even. Rebirth sales will be limited by number of people who played Remake. So am assuming it will barely break even as well.

As for Sony, they are still paying pretty penny for marketing like this. Doubtful their 30% cut will amount to 100-200 million it must’ve cost to market these games.
Interesting to see you speak with such authority over numbers you do not have.

JaksGhost

Square Enix : We're happy
Sony: We're happy
Neogaf user: They're not happy!

ssringo

I'm sorry but I thought this was already known. I swear when I clicked this thread I thought it was going to be another necrobump.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
To be fair, I always just assume 'exclusive' just means 'timed exclusive' nowadays. That said, I can't see it releasing on other consoles (if ever) until well after the trilogy has finished.

Go_Ly_Dow

Over 7mil copies+ since Sept 2023 and counting, +merchandise sales, + 3 exclusivity deals, PS+ deals. Also games in Asia cost a lot less to develop as salaries are much lower in Japan. They also used a ready made UE4 engine so far less engine dev costs, they outsourced grunt work to other Asian companies.....

They'd have made a killing from part 1 all things considered. In fact they increased the budget for Rebirth because they were pleased with the sales performance, so no chance they "just broken even" lol.

If Alan Wake 2 can get by with 1mil copies sold then I think they're doing just fine.

Last edited:
Interesting to see you speak with such authority over numbers you do not have.
Am pretty sure you would have no issues with analysis below.
Over 7mil copies+ since Sept 2023 and counting, +merchandise sales, + 3 exclusivity deals, PS+ deals. Also games in Asia cost a lot less to develop as salaries are much lower in Japan. They also used ready made UE4 engine so far less engine dev costs, they outsourced grunt worrk to other Asian companies.

They'd have made a killing from part 1 all things considered. In fact they increased the budget for Rebirth because they were pleased with the sales performance, so no chance they "just broken even" lol.

If Alan Wake 2 can get by with 1mil copies sold then I think they're doing just fine.

Good. Exclusives make or break a console. Getting Vii Rebirth, Stellar Blade and Rise of Ronin this year alone means someone in Sony knows their first party is not ready but will still try and deliver the best they can. Boads well for the future.

Aenima

So exclusive, you can't find physical versions of FFVII Remake Intergrade and FFVII Reunion (on PS5) anywhere brand new.
They are not available in many stores but the portuguese online story i buy my games from have both games brand new for PS5 in stock. So i guess is just a matter of looking around to find them.

Last edited:

Bkdk

Please have PC version even if the release date is later or much later than console one.

Top Bottom