• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Washington Post: Console exclusivity key to ‘Final Fantasy VII Rebirth’ success, team says

FF16 was a very polished experience in the 30 fps mode despite the uneven performance but i cant say the same for the 30 fps mode in Rebirth. If sony wants to buy these exclusives, they need to ensure visual standards that match their own first party standards.

This game is far more expansive and ambitious than FF16, and the graphics to me look better in the open world with some pretty insanely detailed environments. I couldn’t care less that some interior texture is low quality

Who gives a shit? It’s the best Final Fantasy since the PS1 days and brings the series back to the prominence it deserves. Maybe they cut corners in places to achieve that in 4 years. I don’t care

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Still saying that Heis ..

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

Km1SpW4.jpg

Eh....considering Gene Park already changed the title of the article, it would be nice to know what the actual words were rather than his take on those words. What is paraphrased from Svensson doesn't match the quote that follows.

Last edited:
Give it or take 5+ years and it might come to Xbox as a full bundle. Square did the same thing with Kingdom Hearts and their all-in-one bundle.

Go_Ly_Dow

This game is far more expansive and ambitious than FF16, and the graphics to me look better in the open world with some pretty insanely detailed environments. I couldn’t care less that some interior texture is low quality

Who gives a shit? It’s the best Final Fantasy since the PS1 days and brings the series back to the prominence it deserves. Maybe they cut corners in places to achieve that in 4 years. I don’t care

Bingo. Well said.

And it's one of the few open world games where the variety in art direction between different locales feels substantial. It's a wonderful game.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Still saying that Heis ..

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

Km1SpW4.jpg
Am I missing something? Or are you misreading it?

Sony did secure final fantasy games as console exclusive, for varying periods. Those console exclusivity periods for FF7 Remake, Intergrade, and FF16 have been over. For Rebirth, it will be over in about 3 months.

Nobody is denying that they secured them as exclusives.

But why are you assuming those are permanent exclusives, and not timed exclusives as they are literally advertised? I don't see any mention of permanent exclusivity in the image you shared.

Also, if they were permanent exclusives, why would Phil say that he is working with Square to get those games on Xbox?

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Not sure if this is posted.

Not seeing remake on Xbox kinda gave it away but at least we have confirmation so people don't get their hopes up.

I guess that MS Square Enix partnership a while back was just to bring old stuff to Xbox heh.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
ut why are you assuming those are permanent exclusives, and not timed exclusives as they are literally advertised?

Because a VP from Sony is saying they've "secured" the entire trilogy as a console exclusive.

It does not get any more clearer than that.

Does that mean the games might come out on Xbox when the entire trilogy is done? Maybe, but at least this confirms that until all 3 are out, the series has been secured as a PS5 console exclusive.

Which renders your earlier points about "but it's up to Square to release them on Xbox" entirely moot after their original '6 month' window ended.

• FFVII Remake's PS4 exclusivity period is over. SquareEnix is free to release the game wherever they want to.

(y)

Also, if they were permanent exclusives, why would Phil say that he is working with Square to get those games on Xbox?

He didn't say anything about bringing VII or XVI, he only cited 14 by name.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
As long as it's also on PC then it's cool with me.
I just wish they never had that agreement with Epic Game Store for a year

Topher

Gold Member
Because a VP from Sony is saying they've "secured" the entire trilogy as a console exclusive.

Does that mean the games might come out on Xbox when the entire trilogy is done? Maybe, but at least this confirms that until all 3 are out, the series has been secured as a PS5 console exclusive.

Which renders your earlier points about "but it's up to Square to release them on Xbox" entirely moot after their original '6 month' window ended.

(y)

You are quoting something that is never quoted from the Sony executive.

"Securing the “Final Fantasy VII” trilogy as a console exclusive is a feather in the PlayStation cap. "

Those are Gene Park's words. He doesn't quote Svensson or even says they come from him. Probably why they changed the entire title of the article from:

Final Fantasy VII Trilogy is a Playstation Console Exclusive​

to

Console exclusivity key to ‘Final Fantasy VII Rebirth’ success, team says​

Would not be surprised if Sony asked them to make that change.

Last edited:

adamsapple

You are quoting something that is never quoted from the Sony executive.

"Securing the “Final Fantasy VII” trilogy as a console exclusive is a feather in the PlayStation cap. "

Those are Gene Parks words. He doesn't quote Svensson or even says they come from him. Probably why they changed the entire title of the article from:

Final Fantasy VII Trilogy is a Playstation Console Exclusive​

to

Console exclusivity key to ‘Final Fantasy VII Rebirth’ success, team says​

Only the header of the article is changed, the matter inside is still exactly the same, if it was contentious, it would have been edited too.

Securing the “Final Fantasy VII” trilogy as a console exclusive is a feather in the PlayStation cap. It’s part of recognizing the original game’s importance as a defining game for the PlayStation experience, said Christian Svensson,

Doesn't seem like much / any paraphrasing is going on here.

200.gif

Wait.....why has that image been modified to remove words and have "said Christian Svensson" follow the first sentence.

8VJOoj3.png

Because the rest of it was irrelevant to the point and doesn't change the context ?

Last edited:
Japanese studios: puts JRPG’s on Xbox
Xbox player base: largely ignores them
Japanese studios: skips xbox
Xbox player base: shockedpikachu.jpeg
With Final Fantasy it's a different dynamic...

Square: Receives bag of $$$ from Sony to keep major AAA FF titles away from Xbox

*A console generation passes by*

Square: Hey Xbox gamers; here's an old MMO FF title that is starting to die-down on all other platforms. Please enjoy!

Xbox Player base: Fuck off, we want the AAA FF games

Square: Xbox hates us. Let's get another bag of money from Sony.

Sleepwalker

Pretty expensive and bad deal for both parties i presume??

Remake sold some 7 million copies, probably just broke even. Rebirth sales will be limited by number of people who played Remake. So am assuming it will barely break even as well.

As for Sony, they are still paying pretty penny for marketing like this. Doubtful their 30% cut will amount to 100-200 million it must’ve cost to market these games.
Sad Cry Me A River GIF by Pudgy Memez

JaksGhost

Only the header of the article is changed, the matter inside is still exactly the same, if it was contentious, it would have been edited too.

200.gif

Because the rest of it was irrelevant to the point and doesn't change the context ?
Either get it on PS5 or wait for the PC release but this shit from you is very tiring because when Daddy Phil doesn't get his way with that war chest you come out talking about unfair practices. It's not coming to your system of choice and no matter how you try to splice his words it still won't come to your console of choice.

Topher

Gold Member

200.gif

Were you the one who removed half the sentence from that quote?

Last edited:

LordCBH

With Final Fantasy it's a different dynamic...

Square: Receives bag of $$$ from Sony to keep major AAA FF titles away from Xbox

*A console generation passes by*

Square: Hey Xbox gamers; here's an old MMO FF title that is starting to die-down on all other platforms. Please enjoy!

Xbox Player base: Fuck off, we want the AAA FF games

Square: Xbox hates us. Let's get another bag of money from Sony.

I mean they released a major AAA numbered entry on the platform day one in 2016, and 95% of the sales came from the PlayStation version. Xbox customers just aren’t interested.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Were you the one who removed half the sentence from that quote?

Yes. I assumed the unnaturally empty space between the line was a dead giveaway.

Either get it on PS5 or wait for the PC release but this shit from you is very tiring because when Daddy Phil doesn't get his way with that war chest you come out talking about unfair practices. It's not coming to your system of choice and no matter how you try to splice his words it still won't come to your console of choice.

This boy mad.

Last edited:

adamsapple

I'm not the one on a crusade right now because I have the game on PS5. Your schtick is just tiring.

Then what *are* you crusading over right now. If you have the game on PS5, you should be enjoying it. This topic shouldn't concern you 🤷‍♂️

The dead giveaway was leaving "said Christian Svensson" in there. Pretty obvious my man.

uBVvC08.gif

That would still be there regardless of of if I cut the part about the games importance to the playstation. Not really understanding the problem here, Toph.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Then what *are* you crusading over right now. If you have the game on PS5, you should be enjoying it. This topic shouldn't concern you 🤷‍♂️

uBVvC08.gif

That would still be there regardless of of if I cut the part about the games importance to the playstation. Not really understanding the problem here, Toph.

It would be there for the part that Svensson actually said. I'll let it go, but I don't get why you would even go to the trouble of modifying the quote in the first place. Obviously that looks shady. If anyone else did that you would be on them in a heartbeat and rightfully so. I suggest leaving quotes as they are in the future.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

(y)

He didn't say anything about bringing VII or XVI, he only cited 14 by name.

No, it doesn't confirm any of that.

Again, nobody is saying Sony didn't "secure" these games as exclusive. They did, exactly how Xbox "secured" Stalker 2 as an exclusive.

They are all timed exclusives, however.

We can say that because those timed exclusivity periods are literally advertised in every trailer and game cover. If you say otherwise, you'll have to share solid evidence, which can't be completely misunderstood and misinterpreted quotes.

NickFire

He did say existing franchises until 2025, yes. So basically what that means is no TLOU3, Horizon 3, GoT 2, or Death Stranding 2 until March 2025. Wolverine is targeting 2026 according to the leaked insomniac slides.

Their next game is likely going to be the venom standalone dlc, but thats also set for 2025 and might launch alongside DS2 during holiday 2025.

The problem is that none of their big studios are ready because they all shipped games in 2022. ND, SSM, PD, GG. So they have to wait 5-6 years which takes them to 2027-2028. neil was on a podcast talking about how hard it is to make his next game because its so ambitious so they are still in the early stages for their next game. I think astrobot and bluepoint are the only ones who might be due for a release this year, and i highly doubt sony is releasing a major game within 6 months of announcing it. It will probably be a smaller $40-50 title from the astrobot devs while BP comes out next year with whatever $70 game they are working on.
2026?

I didn't know that. I thought they were targeting 2024.

adamsapple

We can say that because those timed exclusivity periods are literally advertised in every trailer and game cover. If you say otherwise, you'll have to share solid evidence, which can't be completely misunderstood and misinterpreted quotes.

It's literally in the OP. A VP at SIE is saying they've secured the entire trilogy as console exclusive. It cannot be misunderstood or misinterpreted when a VP makes that claim. It doesn't get any more crystal clear than that.

And you already know those time periods coincide with the games PC announcements / releases, now we can say with certainty that they are *console* exclusives at least until the entire trilogy is finished.

Last edited:

Remake sold some 7 million copies, probably just broke even. Rebirth sales will be limited by number of people who played Remake. So am assuming it will barely break even as well.

As for Sony, they are still paying pretty penny for marketing like this. Doubtful their 30% cut will amount to 100-200 million it must’ve cost to market these games.
I wouldn’t count on this. I mean Rebirth will obviously track under Remake bc it was a late cycle PS4 game but I know a few ppl irl that only played FF16 and are buying this game and skipping Intergrade.

jm89

Tales from my ass

xHunter

It's literally in the OP. A VP at SIE is saying they've secured the entire trilogy as console exclusive. It cannot be misunderstood or misinterpreted when a VP makes that claim. It doesn't get any more crystal clear than that.

And you already know those time periods coincide with the games PC announcements / releases, now we can say with certainty that they are *console* exclusives at least until the entire trilogy is finished.

Topher

Gold Member
Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 you see this?

Eh....considering Gene Park already changed the title of the article, it would be nice to know what the actual words were rather than his take on those words. What is paraphrased from Svensson doesn't match the quote that follows.

Changed the title, changed the content.

This is why I find it hard to trust anything but direct quotes from journalists. And sometimes, not even then....

Last edited:

DarthPutin

I am sure somewhere on Twitter the fanboy battle goes the other way: PS fans insisting that the game *is* console exclusive and for sure not coming to XBOX for a long time.

Anyway, article also attributes quick development and quality of the game to developer retention, which - seems to me - stands in stark contrast with XBOX (and MS at large) penchant for rotating contractors teams every 18 months.

To be fair, PlayStation can also learn a thing or two from SE, it seems, about making big games in 4 years.

Ansphn

But i was told exclusive was bad?

Why not bring it to Xbox? Just look at the success of Hogwarts Legacy selling a astronomically high percentage of 4% of total sales on Xbox. Totally worth turning down money and developmental cost and advertising dollars from Sony.

adamsapple

Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 you see this?

Changed the title, changed the content.

This is why I find it hard to trust anything but direct quotes from journalists. And sometimes, not even then....

I acknowledged that too that Gene fucked up, not sure why my post got deleted lol.

Last edited:
it dosen't matter either way. FF became associated with Play Station since the OG console.

if you love the series you are going to buy a Play Station. as simple as that.

i would be baffled by someone buying an Xbox or Nintendo console for a FF game.

i dont understand people complaining about it.

The people that are not willing to buy a console for this game they are less likely to buy the game at full price in the first place.

and exclusivity goes beyond the game; sony uses it to promote its console as well

Top Bottom