• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 16 Sony Exclusive Rumor 👀

Three

They can still achieve same thing with first party Japanese games instead of wasting money on third party timed exclusives.
But to sway players it is often the case that a new IP would not do much. Something that they are already a fan of being exclusive however will.

Continuing a franchise which was not a big seller is also not wise although Sony often does it.

For example assume Gravity Rush was multiplatform and a big seller.

Sony buys exclusivity for Gravity Rush for PS5. Would that convince you or Dojo Warrior the new JRPG? Which one would have more sway for you? Do I need to ask?

I do agree though that it may be a waste. If anything I suspect MS would do something shitty like this because they don't have a lot of FF fans on their platform even if it would cost them a lot more.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
I can see this as a large majorty of Final Fantasy games have had some time exclusivity on the Playstation. Not fond of it but I can see it happening for sure.

FF15 would have to of bombed on bone for this to happen. Never looked into the sales of that game. Obviously it would be skewed towards PlayStation as that's where most people associate it but Enix has supported Xbox more than ever recently, especially with GP.

honestly considering how "good" FF15 was, nothing was lost here in this exclusivity deal lololololol

i did enjoy FF7 remake though.

Last edited:

Dark Oni

meh FF16 hasn't even been shown yet and it'll be released 4-5 years after being announced at which point PS5 will be at the end of generation (with squares track record i really don't have much faith in it anyway)

You can say that, but you'd be wrong. It's got a 81% on Metacritic out of 109 reviews and sold 9 million copies worldwide on all platforms. It does mean "something" at least.

i tried to like it. i played for like 6 hours and was just forcing myself through it. combat was so boring to me. FF7 remake combat was MUCH better imo.

maybe i'll give it another shot one day.

Dabaus

Banned
Honestly speaking I would as well considering the state of the last few FF mainline titles (remake aside).

I'll see what this game is like though before fully judging.

I get why they are doing this deal though if its true. This is kind of a "nail in the coffin" type deal that solidifies the idea JRPG games (and people who like those games) are on PlayStation rather than Xbox. It's a strategic play early on in the gen that could have a knock on effect, meaning all developers for next gen JRPG's releasing later in the consoles life-cycle will question whether it's even worth doing an Xbox version of the game if the audience isn't there.

Great Point. If sony gets the JRPG Audience early, something they already have a monopoly on between themselves and xbox, then its going to be extremely difficult for micorsoft going forward to get Japanese support. That means easier deals to forge for sony for more third party exclusives, a consolidation of which platform to support from publishers, and of course more revenue for playstation. Its a triple win for them. If this is true and I were them, id lock monster hunter world 2 down as well.

This is like Sony pays Square to make Dragon Quest XII exclusive to Playstation, exclusive or not that game is going sell crazy numbers on Playstation no matter fucking what! Whats the fucking point!?

Nah! Dragon Quest XI is such a great game, and it deserves to be a multiplatformers on the Nintendo Switch, the XBox and the PS4. DQ XII should be made available for everyone who loves the series, and on all platforms.

fallingdove

i just wish sony would buy more game studios instead of securing timed exclusives deals

Sony have more than enough studios at this point. I do wish that Sony would take greater risks with their Japan studios though. Take some of the money they are using for timed exclusives, give it to a team consisting of Gravity Rush, Astro Boy and Puppeteer developers and let them build an action adventure/rpg game that challenges Nintendo's accessibility with Mario/Zelda games.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Nah! Dragon Quest XI is such a great game, and it deserves to be a multiplatformers on the Nintendo Switch, the XBox and the PS4. DQ XII should be made available for everyone who loves the series, and on all platforms.
I'm not saying it should be exclusive, in fact I'm saying Sony shouldn't waste their money to make it exclusives because still going sell crazy well on PlayStation system.

All I want from Sony is to take that money and actually create first party JRPG instead of wasting them on these timed exclusives BS deals.

Calverz

How so?

List me the cons from a BUSINESS perspective IF it ends up being full or timed exclusive on the market leader. Just an aside, if this were to be Fu exclusive then it also helps Square with streamlining their development for ONE console, allowing them to maximize their potential with said console.
Can any of the OG’s help me out here??

ZZZZ

I doubt it to be honest, FF XV sold around a million units on Xbox, even though that's not a lot for a Final Fantasy game, it's still a lot of money, i was extremely surprised with the deal for FFVIIR, if FFVIIR sells poorly on Xbox and PC because of the timed exclusivity, another deal like this may never happen again.

PS: I still expect FFVIIR to do well on steam at least.

Last edited:

KingT731

I doubt it to be honest, FF XV sold around a million units on Xbox, even though that's not a lot for a Final Fantasy game, it's still a lot of money, i was extremely surprised with the deal for FFVIIR, if FFVIIR sells poorly on Xbox and PC because of the timed exclusivity, another deal like this may never happen again.

PS: I still expect FFVIIR to do well on steam at least.
FFXV wasn't the only SE game to do poorly (by comparison) on Xbox. KH3, Type-0 (notoriously bad), FF13 (not that bad), XIII-2, Lightning Returns etc.

FStubbs

I'm not saying it should be exclusive, in fact I'm saying Sony shouldn't waste their money to make it exclusives because still going sell crazy well on PlayStation system.

All I want from Sony is to take that money and actually create first party JRPG instead of wasting them on these timed exclusives BS deals.

Sadly - if Sony were going to put the money behind it, they'd be better off making an exclusive wRPG. They'll get most of the jRPGs anyway - and if you ignore Nintendo, there won't be a single jRPG that goes to Xbox that doesn't go to Sony, but plenty of that go to Sony and skip Xbox.

Danjin44

Sadly - if Sony were going to put the money behind it, they'd be better off making an exclusive wRPG
I'm sorry but...
giphy.gif

I want first party JRPG similar to Dark Cloud.

REE Machine

Banned

Its not a waste when you have people going out of their way to buy your console for said game and then future games on it. To them they can easily make that money hat money back with a good sales push and quality content.

Danjin44

Its not a waste when you have people going out of their way to buy your console for said game and then future games on it. To them they can easily make that money hat money back with a good sales push and quality content.
I want to see them do that investing on their first party Japanese games, not having third party time exclusives BS.

REE Machine

Banned
I want to see them do that investing on their first party Japanese games, not having third party time exclusives BS.
They probably will but hey im not complaining if they get me more exclusive content while also having a great first party library like they already do.

Vawn

Banned
I doubt it to be honest, FF XV sold around a million units on Xbox, even though that's not a lot for a Final Fantasy game, it's still a lot of money

You can't just assume all those people would have just not bought the game if it hadn't been on Xbox. I'm sure many just would have purchased it on PS4.

Danjin44

They probably will but hey im not complaining if they get me more exclusive content while also having a great first party library like they already do.
My problem is these days we are mostly getting first party western games, and enjoyed some of them but my biggest reason I got in to Playstation in the first place was for their Japanese games.

Sejan

Its been so long since I've enjoyed a new, original mainline Final Fantasy. I really can't bring myself to get excited about a new game given all the disappointment I've felt with the series for a very long time.

I liked FFVR, but I don't consider it to be original. Also, I can't decide if its mainline either.

Same ol G

If this is true why would it even matter, FF was from 7 till 13 exclusive,.
13 and 15 went multiplatform, it wouldn't suprise me one bit if this game goes exclusive again.
The only reason i don't believe this is because they went with the unreal engine to be able to release games faster and for ease of releasing on multiple platforms (see DQ11)

Vawn

Banned
My problem is these days we are mostly getting first party western games, and enjoyed some of them but my biggest reason I got in to Playstation in the first place was for their Japanese games.

We still get those, they're just not first-party. Many are exclusive by choice too.

Danjin44

We still get those, they're just not first-party. Many are exclusive by choice too.
Look I love first party Japanese games from Sony because they are nothing like other games out there, they interesting and unique and I want to see more like that in PlayStation like we used to, I don't think thats too much to ask.

Vawn

Banned
Look I love first party Japanese games from Sony because they are nothing like other games out there, they interesting and unique and I want to see more like that in PlayStation like we used to, I don't think thats too much to ask.

Which ones?

Oh... I'm guessing Gravity Rush. I've tried so hard to like those games, I just don't. I can't think of much else.

Danjin44

Which ones?

Oh... I'm guessing Gravity Rush. I've tried so hard to like those games, I just don't. I can't think of much else.
And I didn't like horizon Zero dawn, so Sony should stop making those type of games? The great thing about Playstation that they used have games for different tastes, but these days they are focusing heavily on western games and honestly getting sick of it.

Vawn

Banned
And I didn't like horizon Zero dawn, so Sony should stop making those type of games? The great thing about Playstation that they used have games for different tastes, but these days they are focusing heavily on western games and honestly getting sick of it.

I'm not saying they shouldn't make Gravity Rush, I was just having a hard time thinking of other first-party Sony Japanese games.

I'm still with you, I love JRPGs and Japanese games in general. I was just confused by the comment you are a big fan of Sony's first-party Japanese games, because I couldn't really think of many since the PS2 days.

Danjin44

Would you prefer a new Silent Hill or a new Siren game?
I Would LOOVE to see Toyama work on either Silent Hill or Siren game and also would love to see some first party JRPG and overall I just want to see more first party Japanese games from Sony.

Top Bottom