• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 PC Performance Thread

Buggy Loop

JjfJ5T7.png

You see? There’s a ton of combinations

Triple 1080p has same % as 4K primary display.

Primary display basically means jack shit

Someone can have his primary for browsing with a 1080p on the side and a 1440p or 4K for gaming. I see a 5% for a 1080p + 4K, more than 4k primary user.

There’s a ton of combos in there. Almost 50% not listed in there as others

So saying PC is just 1080p single monitor land is ridiculous. Not that there’s anything wrong with that for a 27’’ screen and high FPS, but it’s more complex than that.

Freeman76

This game is wierd as fuck settings wise, i was messing around with it and decided to just push everything to max, disregarding the warnings relating to stutter when turning up the textures, and it runs BETTER lol! I just did a 30 minute test in the capital city and didnt have a single drop below 55fps and highs of 120. This is with a 4070 and 7800x3d

yamaci17

You see? There’s a ton of combinations

Triple 1080p has same % as 4K primary display.

Primary display basically means jack shit

Someone can have his primary for browsing with a 1080p on the side and a 1440p or 4K for gaming. I see a 5% for a 1080p + 4K, more than 4k primary user.

There’s a ton of combos in there. Almost 50% not listed in there as others

So saying PC is just 1080p single monitor land is ridiculous. Not that there’s anything wrong with that for a 27’’ screen and high FPS, but it’s more complex than that.
it is better to look at hardware imo

10-12 gb 3080-4070ti range of hardware = most of them will be 1440p users
16-24 gb 3090-4080-4090 range of hardware = most of them will be 4k users
8 GB 2060/3050/4060 range of hardware= most of them will be 1080p users

there are a niche subset of people who will be at 1440p with 8 GB cards such as 3070 but that didn't last very long as 8 GB is being destroyed at 1440p most of the time nowadays and barely is hanging on. there's also a serious group of people who had 10 gb 3080s combined with 4K screens but most of them probably moved on to 16 GB 4080s by now

most people have 1080p capable GPUs with 1080p oriented VRAM at this point. while PC is not a 1080p land, most folks tend to have 1080p oriented GPUs so most of them will keep their existing 1080p screens as a result. it is why 1440p/4k did not take off like 1080p did against 720p. nvidia keeps releasing 8 GB 4060s, as such, 1080p is here to stay. and it looks fine on 20-27 inch screens as others noted (or on a 40-50 inch 1080p TV from console viewing distance, just like ps4-tv combinations)

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I don't get this I'm playing the game and think itlooks great! RT is used well in this game.

7700x
7900 xt

locked it to 60. Only dips to the 40s in town. Settings maxed but res at 1800

I do have a very big issue where 9 times out of 10 the game freezes when I go to buy my vocation skills. I think it has to do with the vids that play for each. But it's a big pain .. I hope it gets fixed soon
Not interested in 60 fps. Ill tolerate 60 fps on a console. Not my PC with a 4090/7800X3D

If it gets patched and performance improves then I will play it then. I have seen enough to see that I don't need to play this right now.

DavidGzz

This game is wierd as fuck settings wise, i was messing around with it and decided to just push everything to max, disregarding the warnings relating to stutter when turning up the textures, and it runs BETTER lol! I just did a 30 minute test in the capital city and didnt have a single drop below 55fps and highs of 120. This is with a 4070 and 7800x3d

Lol, you're right. I put everything on max. Same 60 frames.

Buggy Loop

it is better to look at hardware imo

10-12 gb 3080-4070ti range of hardware = most of them will be 1440p users
16-24 gb 3090-4080-4090 range of hardware = most of them will be 4k users
8 GB 2060/3050/4060 range of hardware= most of them will be 1080p users

there are a niche subset of people who will be at 1440p with 8 GB cards such as 3070 but that didn't last very long as 8 GB is being destroyed at 1440p most of the time nowadays and barely is hanging on. there's also a serious group of people who had 10 gb 3080s combined with 4K screens but most of them probably moved on to 16 GB 4080s by now

most people have 1080p capable GPUs with 1080p oriented VRAM at this point. while PC is not a 1080p land, most folks tend to have 1080p oriented GPUs so most of them will keep their existing 1080p screens as a result. it is why 1440p/4k did not take off like 1080p did against 720p. nvidia keeps releasing 8 GB 4060s, as such, 1080p is here to stay. and it looks fine on 20-27 inch screens as others noted (or on a 40-50 inch 1080p TV from console viewing distance, just like ps4-tv combinations)

I prefer your analysis already. Primary monitor is kind of meaningless in steam hardware stats.

Dynasty8

7800x3D

Pretty much everything on High/Max. Running very well for me. I'm averaging 90-100 fps most of the time, small towns are around 60-70ish...but I have yet to enter the big town. Will update when I do.

yamaci17

I prefer your analysis already. Primary monitor is kind of meaningless in steam hardware stats.
yep. I mean I'm not NVIDIA. I'm not microsoft. they're the ones that keep selling 1080p oriented hardware. and 1440p/4k never have gotten their "cheap 1080p screen" moment. and it seems like they hardly will.

back in 2016, even 1050ti targeted 1080p, and 1070 and above targeted 1440p while 1080/1080ti could to some 4K gaming. 720p/900p truly died because even the lowest end hardware targeted 1080p as a baseline. NVIDIA even stopped using 720p/900 benchmarks for their cards aside from super lowend cards like gt 1030

in 2024, NVIDIA fully markets 4060/4060ti 8 gb as 1080p cards, because really, 8 GB will be only usable realistically at 1080p going forward. and that will be the most sold RTX GPU just like how 2060 and 3060 were the most sold GPUs. these GPUs, by definition and with the help of DLSS, can do 1440p gaming. however, people are aware that 8 GB is not going to cut it at 1440p. so these GPUs are literally segmented into resolutions due to how they're structured (gimped bandwidth, bus, vram etc.) even 4070 is marketed as a 1440p card because we know sooner or later that 12 gb will be problematic at 4K so most people already assume it is a 1440p card and NVIDIA markets its such.

in a world where the majority of end user GPUs are 2060s, 3060s and 4060s and a GPU like 4070 targeting 1440p, I'm amazed that people have the audacity to call 1080p filth and its users "crazy". it is almost like actual crazy people are the ones who use these term because they can't seem to read the situation

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Yeah, on my 55" which is on my cpu desk, it does not(1080p) but when I hook my pc up to my work monitor which is 27" 1080p looks great. Much preferred to any resolution and 30fps, I don't care if it's 16k.
I recently upgraded my 3 kids PCs and displays. They’re all on 27” high refresh screens now with the boys on 2060s and my daughter on a 4060. 1080p(DLSS ‘Quality’) with high frame rate looks awesome on a screen that size. I’m on a 32” screen and at that size 1440p is ideal, but with some sharpening a game like R&C: RA still looks great at 1080p/165Hz.

Last edited:

yamaci17

I recently upgraded my 3 kids PCs and displays. They’re all on 27” high refresh screens now with the boys on 2060s and my daughter on a 4060. 1080p(DLSS ‘Quality’) with high frame rate looks awesome on a screen that size. I’m on a 32” screen and at that size 1440p is ideal, but with some sharpening a game like R&C: RA still looks great at 1080p/165Hz.
yep, I'm on a 1080p screen as well with my 3070. had problems with 1080p being blurry but found out I was sitting too close to my 24 screen. i was around 50-60 cm (my usual viewing distance). I got myself back a bit (im a gamepad user anyways), around 80-90 cm and games looked much better in terms of perceived visuals. I still try to supersample as much as possible (DLDSR 1440p is truly magic). but when I'm not able to do so, I just sit a bit farther and most of the time games look okay then at 1080p.

ratchet and clank indeed manages to look good at 1080p dlss quality imo. that title surprised me. spiderman games also look great at 1080p

Last edited:
Completely no lifed this game yesterday and considering 95% if my posts are complaining about graphics or performance this must be a fucking good game as it has mediocre graphics and poor performance in towns even with my 7800x3d.

I've tried all the tweaks and nothing helps the stutter in town so hopefully they do patch it a bit. I'd take a NPC density toggle if it is really that causing it as they really don't add much to the game especially when they phase in and out right in front of you anyhow. If it is really tracking each NPC (even those off screen) as they move around then I don't see the benefit to the player if I'm being honest as you have limited interactions with most of them. Like it could have been useful on PC if you could mod in all manner of fancy ways to interact with NPCs but with Capcom's stance on mods that will never happen.

Anyhow played all day yesterday and performance maxed out has been great outside of the town although caves are lower performance than the open world so maybe some culling issues?

Using the frame gen mod now and at or near my monitors refresh rate (minus 3) most of the time so it's definitely fine for the majority of the game but the town splutters along even when the frame rate is fine. Non of the upscaling or AA methods are good enough though, TAA has ghosting and is over sharpened, DLSS is blurry, FSR destroys particle details and I can always spot Capcom interlacing artifacts so hopefully they improve these too.

GymWolf

Tried for 3 hours, 4080\13600k\32gb ddr5 6000mhz.

I maxed out everything except shadows on medium and dlss quality instead of native 4k.

I have around 90 unstable fps in the wilds but it looks like gsync isn't working because the game feel a bit jittery, maybe i'm gonna lock the frame to 60 to see if i can have a bit of consistency, is it better to lock the framerate from the ingame settings or from the nvcp?

Overall
chernobyl-not-great-not-terrible.gif

There are 2 sliders in the graphic settings, should i push those to the max? I wasn't sure about what they do so i left them untouched.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

My PC was kneecapped into 22 fps range in the cave north of the capital where you can find the warrior and sorcerer class items. Ran worse than in the capital. WTF?

Seems also sometimes at night that it tanks. Very strange game performances

Kenpachii

My PC was kneecapped into 22 fps range in the cave north of the capital where you can find the warrior and sorcerer class items. Ran worse than in the capital. WTF?

Seems also sometimes at night that it tanks. Very strange game performances

Maybe fire sources? remember ac odyssey absolute murdering fps because of torches.

DanEON

is it better to lock the framerate from the ingame settings or from the nvcp?
Ingame. External limiters such as nvcp and rivatuner adds lag.
But maybe with nvcp limiter you get an smoother image, since it have some buffer.

Last edited:

Sakura

4080 with a 13700.
1440p max settings except I think I turned motion blur off.
Getting pretty much a solid 60FPS (I capped it to 60 in the options).
I just watched the DF video and the PC performance in that video is significantly worse than what I get in the capital (I barely notice any drops/stuttering). Is it maybe an AMD thing?

Topher

Gold Member
on a 4080!! (granted, same CPU but still....)

I think i'll be waiting for a sale and a TON of patches.

The DLSS frame gen mod that was released really helps though. Sucks it only works on 4000 series though.

Here's my post in that thread......

Impressive results. Not the best screenshots. Just doing print screens to quickly grab the frame rates.

Outside town, mod off.....

Outside town, mod on.....

Inside town, mod off.....

Inside town, mod on.....

Last edited:
With the combination of my 4070S not performing as well as I expected and the fact my pc has been shutting down randomly I decided to just get it on PS5.

I put the refund in for steam.

Mister Wolf

The sharpening filter in the game options does nothing. Use the Geforce Experience overlay sharpening filter when using DLSS.

GymWolf

Open up your task manager before starting the game and tick the option always on top.

That way if the game crashes you can alt tab and access the task manager and kill the game's process.
I'm gonna sound like a noob but this is a fucking game changer :lollipop_grinning_sweat: :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

john2gr

Good luck running the game on anything other than six-eight CPU cores. This is one of the few games that maxes out eight CPU cores/threads.

EOzbW8U.jpg

Last edited:

GymWolf

Windows 11 even gives you the option to search for processes by name in the task manager!
Lol i always had to put windows in suspend mode everytime i had a crash and wasn't able to visualize the task manager because i'm in full screen mode :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Lol i always had to put windows in suspend mode everytime i had a crash and can't visualize the task manager because i'm in full screen mode :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
I know what you mean. I learned of this back in around 2012 when modding Skyrim. It kept locking up due to mod conflicts and I couldn’t bring up the task manager. Often, I had to just log out of the active session because it was just a black screen.

john2gr

Lol i always had to put windows in suspend mode everytime i had a crash and wasn't able to visualize the task manager because i'm in full screen mode :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

You can also press "Windows Key + Tab" and create a new Desktop. Then, on the new Desktop, you can open Task Manager and kill the application. So keep that in mind in case sometimes you forget to put the Task Manager in Always-On Mode. ;).

By the way, for those with an AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, make sure to disable CCD1. By default, the game runs on the second CCD (which does not have access to the 3D V-cache). As such, you'll get lower minimum framerates.

jH43Wu1.jpg

GymWolf

You can also press "Windows Key + Tab" and create a new Desktop. Then, on the new Desktop, you can open Task Manager and kill the application. So keep that in mind in case sometimes you forget to put the Task Manager in Always-On Mode. ;).

By the way, for those with an AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, make sure to disable CCD1. By default, the game runs on the second CCD (which does not have access to the 3D V-cache). As such, you'll get lower minimum framerates.
Wait, is it something that i have to do every time i turn the pc on? does the setting return to default every time?

Last edited:

john2gr

Wait, is it something that i have to do every time i turn the pc on? does the setting return to default every time?

No no, once you do it it will remain. My bad, I meant in case you play another game (or DD2) on a different PC (and for some reason, you forget to do it).

UnrealEck

I might try an AMD CPU next upgrade. Haven't been AMD since Athlon XP. Never had a GPU from them either. Last red team GPU I had was ATi :messenger_grinning:
Current CPU I have is a 12600K but I'm seeing only one or two cores being used in the game. Haven't checked often though only once or twice.

clarky

Gold Member
Cool game so far but the performance really isn't acceptable. I almost gave up, if it wasn't for the frame gen mod then this would deffo be going on the back burner until its sorted out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom