• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 PC Performance Thread

Barakov

Gold Member
Its Fine Game GIF by Live Motion Games

yamaci17

seems like it is possible to get decent performance in the wilds with a modest i5 13500 rtx 3060 rig

1:50:36

looks pretty stable. probably will drop frames heavily in cities as most other rigs

Garibaldi

Other than terrible GPU utilisation in built up areas I've found Shadow quality at max is as per usual an FPS killer. High seems to level it out nicely.

Testing on a 5950x, 64GB, 3090 and an m.2 gen 4 drive @3840x1600

The game is hardly a looker tho in the opening area. The environment barely looks last gen standard. Hopefully it's just my tired eyes and it'll be nicer in the morning.

hlm666

Other than terrible GPU utilisation in built up areas I've found Shadow quality at max is as per usual an FPS killer. High seems to level it out nicely.

Testing on a 5950x, 64GB, 3090 and an m.2 gen 4 drive @3840x1600

The game is hardly a looker tho in the opening area. The environment barely looks last gen standard. Hopefully it's just my tired eyes and it'll be nicer in the morning.
Is max shadows RT shadows? from what I gather this uses RT for shadows and ao.

nikos

Here are all of the game's settings, for anybody interested.

Try turning Dynamic Resolution on for an FPS boost. I'm getting a pretty nice boost and it looks way better than FSR3 or DLSS, both of which are incredibly blurry at the moment.

yamaci17

Should I get PS5 or PC? Rtx 3070 and amd 3700x

aside from cities, this seems okay to play. I'd go with PC here because it seems like most rigs will be able to get 40+ fps in open world sections aside from cities while ps5/xbox is limited to 30-36 fps no matter where you are (or so it seems)

Last edited:
  • i7-11700k
  • rtx 3080
  • 32GB ram
  • 7.5 GBps ssd
  • 4k dlss quality
  • RT on
  • Maxed out settings
  • 3GB textures

Mostly 60 fps locked in the first non-tutorial area. 55 fps in the first two towns.
You have extremely similar specs to me so this is good to see. I'll play at 1440p though and probably reduce a few settings to hit around 80fps hopefully.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
5800X3D
4K DLSS Quality
Max Settings

I'm getting 40-50 fps in towns. Outdoors I'm getting around 80-90 fps. It fluctuates a lot depending on what's going on. I haven't seen a game this unstable from scene to scene since I played Dishonored 2 on release.
You think 7800x3d would move it over 60 in towards?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Not sure. This game has major CPU issues like Act 3 of BG3.
I am no programmer. We don’t know what cpu calculations are happening here and in dd3.
Maybe each npc always has to calculate routes, paths, fight behaviors etc.
Or maybe cpu wasting cycles for checking their inventory all the time like In diablo4 lol

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

I am no programmer. We don’t know what cpu calculations are happening here and in dd3.
Maybe each npc always has to calculate routes, paths, fight behaviors etc.
Or maybe cpu wasting cycles for checking their inventory all the time like In diablo4 lol

We've scene Act 3 of Baldur's Gate 3 improve by a lot since release. This is an optimization issue.

Last edited:

TIGERCOOL

Anyone try setting it to high priority in control panel? Seeing claims that some are getting up to a 20fps boost in cpu limited areas but I can't test it atm. These things never seem to actually work for me anyway

The framerate is fine for me so far (only at the big town) but it feels chunky to play due to maybe input lag or just heavy feeling camera controls. Couldn't imagine playing this at 30fps.

With a 7800x3d and 4080 at ultrawide 3440x1440 at max settings including RT and no DLSS it's like:
90-120 fps in the wilds no real drops in combat - more impacted by the day/night cycle.
60-90 fps in camps - again impacted by the day/night.
50-80 fps in the big town - it's actually 99% above 60fps and mostly above 70fps but does very obviously stutter even though jack shit is happening on screen so I wouldn't call it anywhere near smooth in towns but not the 30fps that was people were saying 4090s were getting.

I'll see how much time is spent in town and I guess I'll cap it at 60fps for now if it's a lot. If you are rarely in town I'll just let it run free as the high framerate does help the feel of the game a lot.

The frame-gen mod does work and gets almost double framerates but it still feels laggy as the game must just have tons of input lag or something. Some games feel amazing even at 60fps but this isn't one of them.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Game's an optimization mess. Noticed a performance boost from setting the framerate lock from 60 to variable. :goog_relieved:

5800X, 4070 Super, 16GB RAM. Game ran perfectly during the prologue, encampment fall to like 45fps and the next area was fluctuating a little bit. Changing from 4K + DLSS to 2K Native improved it a little bit while also feeling much better to play (better frampacing and less input lag, I'd guess)

Can't see any improvements when changing other graphics settings, so I'm running it with RT ON. Was having between 60 to 80 fps in the wilds until...

PureDark's framegen mod basically fixed the game for me: https://www.patreon.com/posts/dragons-dogma-2-100837988

I'm getting locked 120fps out of town, and 80-100 in town. 4090 + 12900k. Game is running fine after that. What the fuck is Capcom's problem?
Just tried this. Menu freezed when enabling DLSS, had to restart the game. After that, tried playing for a bit: no issues and I'm getting a pretty nice performance boost, from 70fps to 144 on the wilds. Still have to try it on towns and such.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Just started.

In the opening areas getting 70-100 fps
No upscaling , RT on native res.

7800x3D + 4090

DLSS not good in this one, looks a lot softer.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Was getting some crashes with the FG mod almost instantly after starting to play, but think I managed to fix them by setting the game to:
  • Refresh rate: 60hz
  • Frame rate: variable
  • V-sync: off
and, in the nvidia control panel:
  • V-sync: on
  • Frame limit: 60
Been running the game for about an hour with no issue.

This mod so far is a game saver, hope Capcom doesn't take too much time to implement it in.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I notice that the game seems to default to 720p. Can that be cranked up?

Is there a reason for that resolution?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Playing with a 4090 and 13700K, it's a very heavy game. I can brute force it but performance are still far from what they should be.

Is raytracing noticeable? like does it change the scene a lot?
It depends on the scene. There is a picture on the settings to show you the difference between on/off.

darrylgorn

Riddle me this, nerdGAF:

If I don't give a shit about Ray tracing, but want to play at max settings, with 1080p and 60fps, what is the minimum GPU that I would need to accomplish this?

Mister Wolf

Riddle me this, nerdGAF:

If I don't give a shit about Ray tracing, but want to play at max settings, with 1080p and 60fps, what is the minimum GPU that I would need to accomplish this?

A lot of us are unsure because this game isn't CPU optimized right now. The framerate is all over the place depending on your location and what's happening on screen. Even outside the city.

yamaci17

Riddle me this, nerdGAF:

this game's taa is so horrible that most people report 1080p dlss quality looks better than native 1080p taa

and it seems like 3060 is capable of pushing 60+ fps in open world sections at 1080p/dlss quality with tweaked settings alongside with an i5 13500 (you sohuld have comparable performance with a 5600/12400 etc.) without dlss you would most likely need something like 3070. but since its taa is so horrible, it is a waste of compute resources to not use DLSS, even at 1080p

cities are a wreck on everyone.

Last edited:

Kacho

A lot of us are unsure because this game isn't CPU optimized right now. The framerate is all over the place depending on your location and what's happening on screen. Even outside the city.
Yeah, the VRAM usage on my GPU is about half and the performance is generally fine everywhere except in towns and cities. The CPU you're using is way more important here, similar to like Civ VI with all the calculations it has to do between turns. If you're using a rinky dink CPU the game will c-c-chug.

Freeman76

this game's taa is so horrible that most people report 1080p dlss quality looks better than native 1080p taa

and it seems like 3060 is capable of pushing 60+ fps in open world sections at 1080p/dlss quality with tweaked settings alongside with an i5 13500 (you sohuld have comparable performance with a 5600/12400 etc.) without dlss you would most likely need something like 3070. but since its taa is so horrible, it is a waste of compute resources to not use DLSS, even at 1080p

cities are a wreck on everyone.

im not finding the cities to be too bad at all, after a 6 hour play session my average fps was 84, and i spent a good chunk of the last 2 hours in the city. I havent touched the settings from what it must have autodetected as I figured I would see how bad it was and dial it back as needed, but its been smooth for the most part.

UnrealEck

The framegen mod is cool but ups the latency too much.

Is anyone getting horrid ghosting when panning the camera and a glowing outline on around meshes and particularly objects in front of water? I tried turning all upscaling off, AA off, RT off and none of them resolve the issue. It looks like an upscaling artifact though.

This game is an absolute mess technically. One of the worst I've seen in a long time.

Mister Wolf

The framegen mod is cool but ups the latency too much.

Is anyone getting horrid ghosting when panning the camera and a glowing outline on around meshes and particularly objects in front of water? I tried turning all upscaling off, AA off, RT off and none of them resolve the issue. It looks like an upscaling artifact though.

This game is an absolute mess technically. One of the worst I've seen in a long time.

Have you turned off in game vsync and any framerate caps? They don't play nice with Frame Gen.

Top Bottom