• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 PC Performance Thread

UnrealEck

Have you turned off in game vsync and any framerate caps? They don't play nice with Frame Gen.
Yeah all turned off. It's going into the 55-65ms range.
Solved the majority of ghosting by changing from interlaced to progressive. No idea why it's interlaced by default.

Sometimes I'm seeing mid 30's FPS on an RTX 4090.

Last edited:

nikos

Frame Gen fix + NVIDIA Sharpen filter seems to be the way to go right now.

Doesn't look the best but performance is actually really good, usually sitting at my cap of 138 FPS out in the wild with RT on and everything at max.

7800X3D, 4090, 3840x1600 ultrawide.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Frame Gen fix + NVIDIA Sharpen filter seems to be the way to go right now.

Doesn't look the best but performance is actually really good, usually sitting at my cap of 138 FPS out in the wild with RT on and everything at max.

7800X3D, 4090, 3840x1600 ultrawide.
I'm curious, what are your settings for hz, max fps and vsync? I was getting some crashes with the Frame Gen fix until I changed those, and would love to compare them with someone else's who go it working too.

Last edited:

Ovech-King

Gold Member
Not sure about the DLSS image quality some reported but I have none . I did turn off the freaking chromatic aberration which always make the image worse + motion blur. Everything looks very clean at 4k Dlss quality . I did push a little on the sharpness slider though (70%) but it’s up to you . Otherwise smooth + 60fps with a 4070 but I have not reached the dreaded cities though

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Is there a way to turn off AF in game? I have it set in the nvidia contorl panel just like vsync but while i can disable vsync in the game, i can only set AF to billinear/low. I heard that AF has a cost on the CPU so want to turn that off completely and have nvidia run it on the GPU.

Also, disabling vsync ingame adds tearing even with GSYNC enabled and vsync enabled in the nvidia control panel. no idea whats going on.

Why does the game look so washed out? I've got RT on and most settings maxed and it performs well enough. Just looks muted colour wise and it's really fucking dull.

UnrealEck

Just having to restart my PC after the game has frozen using frame gen mod. Game is on top so I can't do anything with the PC.
What a disaster. I'd like for them to explain why it's so broken. I mean I'm genuinely curious.

GymWolf

So what is the tldr for the settings in this game?

Any particularly heavy setting? Shadows? Rayt? Fog? Reflections?

I'm hearing completely different opinion about dlss, some people say it's ok, many say it's very soft looking, some say that it has zero performance gains, some says they get 30 more frames, wtf?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
So what is the tldr for the settings in this game?

Any particularly heavy setting? Shadows? Rayt? Fog? Reflections?

I'm hearing completely different opinion about dlss, some people say it's ok, many say it's soft, some say that it has zero performance gains, some says they get 30 more frames, wtf?

From my experience, nothing is improving frame rates. As I said in the OT, I've turned off everything and am going for max image quality, native rez, etc. and frame rates are not really effected either way. The bottleneck that exists is effectively capping everything to the point that I am not getting the benefits from upscaling or the deteriments of ray tracing, if that makes sense.

Not sure if this is true for anyone else though. I've seen some folks who have PCs with lower specs than mine have better performance. No idea what is going on with this game really.

At least it is fun to play.

Last edited:

GymWolf

From my experience, nothing is improving frame rates. As I said in the OT, I've turned off everything and am going for max image quality, native rez, etc. and frame rates are not really effected either way. The bottleneck that exists is effectively capping everything to the point that I am not getting the benefits from upscaling or the deteriments of ray tracing, if that makes sense.

Not sure if this is true for anyone else though. I've seen some folks who have PCs with lower specs than mine have better performance. No idea what is going on with this game really.

So i can just max out everything and forget about it? Neat!

Is dlss as soft as a cock after swimming in cold water?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I rhink it's just the location being very dull

So i can just max out everything and forget about it?

Is dlss as soft as a cock after swimming in cold water?

Pretty damn soft. You are the cock expert so you'll have to tell me. :messenger_beaming:

But yeah....I'd say give it a shot and see if you get the same results. Trying to increase frame rate just seems futile right now for me.

GymWolf

Pretty damn soft. You are the cock expert so you'll have to tell me. :messenger_beaming:

But yeah....I'd say give it a shot and see if you get the same results. Trying to increase frame rate just seems futile right now for me.
I thought you had one so you were familiar with freeze shrinking, my bad for guessing your gender :messenger_blowing_kiss:

Topher

Gold Member
I thought you had one so you were familiar with freeze shrinking, my bad for guessing your gender :messenger_blowing_kiss:

lol....nice comeback. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

DF analysis is out. Kind of says what I've been saying. Trying to improve performance has limited benefits....

"There is some capability to improve performance and specifically to reduce CPU load, but it's quite limited and has negative repercussions for image quality. Disabling RTGI is the main option, which makes for a less realistic image but claws back around 12 percent performance. However, setting all other options to their lowest values only improves frame-rate by another six percent. As turning off RT makes the game look a lot worse, it's hard to call these 'optimised settings'. Hopefully future game patches improve the situation, as right now the game just doesn't provide a great experience on PC once you hit those towns and cities."

GymWolf

How in the fuck does fighintg cowboy double or triple his framerate by using dlss quality? does he have the only version of the game with working dlss or it's just tale from his fanboy ass?

Last edited:

Pop

1080p the POWER of PC.

Playing games at 1080p in 2024?
ZRYo5Hn.png

Steam stats 2024

S0ULZB0URNE

The framerate is fine for me so far (only at the big town) but it feels chunky to play due to maybe input lag or just heavy feeling camera controls. Couldn't imagine playing this at 30fps.

With a 7800x3d and 4080 at ultrawide 3440x1440 at max settings including RT and no DLSS it's like:
90-120 fps in the wilds no real drops in combat - more impacted by the day/night cycle.
60-90 fps in camps - again impacted by the day/night.
50-80 fps in the big town - it's actually 99% above 60fps and mostly above 70fps but does very obviously stutter even though jack shit is happening on screen so I wouldn't call it anywhere near smooth in towns but not the 30fps that was people were saying 4090s were getting.

I'll see how much time is spent in town and I guess I'll cap it at 60fps for now if it's a lot. If you are rarely in town I'll just let it run free as the high framerate does help the feel of the game a lot.

The frame-gen mod does work and gets almost double framerates but it still feels laggy as the game must just have tons of input lag or something. Some games feel amazing even at 60fps but this isn't one of them.
So it seems CPU is a big factor for this.

Slimboy Fat

How are people getting 50+ fps in the city when the 58003D demonstrably barely reach a stable 30 there? Are you guys talking of the same city?

I hate CPU-bound games btw so annoying

Ovech-King

Gold Member

Running in 720p might help 🤓

Quantum253

Yeah, the VRAM usage on my GPU is about half and the performance is generally fine everywhere except in towns and cities. The CPU you're using is way more important here, similar to like Civ VI with all the calculations it has to do between turns. If you're using a rinky dink CPU the game will c-c-chug.
That reminds me of the issues people had on The Witcher III WildHunts where in Novigrad/Oxenfurt and somewhat bigger cities, the FPS would tank and erformance would take a large hit. It took a while to get that optimized.

yamaci17

laptops, kids, china and so on.
1080p might still be very popular but it's popular in the same way DVD still is the best selling movies format you know.
why does it matter ? 1080p people will have fun in this game like you would want them to. or are you going to gatekeep and say that you need higher resolution to enjoy it just because your favorite console renders the game at a higher resolution?

majority of my friends are at 1080p and most of them are not from china and they don't have laptops. contrary to your belief, a huge portion of actual gaming userbase is still on 1080p whether you like it or not

you're so funny when it comes to this man. you PROUDLY say <30 fps should not be a barrier to enjoy a game yet somehow get triggered and have massive problems with people targeting 1080p and try to belittle saying "it is laptops, internet cafes".. it is insane. pick a side and be consistent with your own criteria. you cannot be a resolution snob and be <30 fps enjoyer at the same time. like, it doesn't even make a sense.

Last edited:

yamaci17

Anyone with a Ryzen 7600/2080 Super or something similar have any performance impressions?
it seems like zen 4 is cool for this game, you will be able to hold semi stable frametimes even in cities but your average will suffer to 40s-50s. aside from that it should be a locked 60 everywhere else

on the GPU side, you would probably need 1440p dlss quality + optimized settings and no ray tracing to hit 60

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Is raytracing noticeable? like does it change the scene a lot?

Yes. I tried 4k without it and was getting similar frames but it looked too much worse imo. More bland and washed out. Plus my computers fans went full tilt with 4k so I changed it back.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Pure Dark came through with the Frame Gen mod fast.
In that link he states it's already there, he just enabled it. They advertised the game as DLSS 3 which from what I've seen always means Frame Gen(DLSS 3= DLSS+FG+Reflex). PureDark says they probably disabled it because it was broken. I wonder if Nvidia asked for a refund?

LordCBH

it seems like zen 4 is cool for this game, you will be able to hold semi stable frametimes even in cities but your average will suffer to 40s-50s. aside from that it should be a locked 60 everywhere else

on the GPU side, you would probably need 1440p dlss quality + optimized settings and no ray tracing to hit 60

Thanks!

SantaC

No performance issues in 4K using 7900XT graphics card.

Maybe game runs better on AMD

Last edited:

nikos

I'm curious, what are your settings for hz, max fps and vsync? I was getting some crashes with the Frame Gen fix until I changed those, and would love to compare them with someone else's who go it working too.

I have the following settings set globally in Nvidia control panel.

V-Sync ON
Low latency Mode: Ultra
Max Frame Rate: Off
Preferred Refresh Rate: Highest Available
Power Management Mode: Prefer Maximum Performance
G-SYNC Enabled for windowed and full screen mode.

From there, I always disable V-Sync in games and don't use in-game frame rate limiters since the above settings are already taking care of that. I use NVIDIA Reflex when available, which automatically overrides the Low Latency Mode in NVCP.

This keeps frames just below the monitor's refresh rate, so games are always in G-SYNC. It also prevents the frame rate from exceeding the monitor's refresh rate, to avoid screen tearing and other jank.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I was leaning towards playing this.

Not now. No reason a game with this fidelity (or lack thereof) should perform this poorly.

I won't support poorly optimized games.

I don't get this I'm playing the game and think itlooks great! RT is used well in this game.

7700x
7900 xt

locked it to 60. Only dips to the 40s in town. Settings maxed but res at 1800

I do have a very big issue where 9 times out of 10 the game freezes when I go to buy my vocation skills. I think it has to do with the vids that play for each. But it's a big pain .. I hope it gets fixed soon

DavidGzz

1080p looks good on 27" and below. 1080p(DLSS)/120fps looks amazing compared to, let's say, 4k/30fps.

Yeah, on my 55" which is on my cpu desk, it does not(1080p) but when I hook my pc up to my work monitor which is 27" 1080p looks great. Much preferred to any resolution and 30fps, I don't care if it's 16k.

Top Bottom