• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Is It Really 'Too Big for Switch'...?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Like GOW Ragnarok?

TOTK has drops into the 20s whenever you launch its most interesting new feature, and drops to 720p whenever you move the camera. It's an outstanding technical feat, but like the other games you mentioned, it's not perfect. It's okay to admit that, I don't know why people get so bent out of shape about acknowledging a few minor flaws in an otherwise excellent game.

If you do want something that was essentially perfect at launch (technically speaking, at least), then there are better examples elsewhere - God of War Ragnarok, for example.
There's a difference between an ambitious game just struggling to run on hardware and a game shipping with a bunch of obvious issues that get patched in a week. It's quite possible that TOTK is just too much for a ten year old tablet, and that should get mentioned, but when a game launches looking like smeary shit and EA is like "lmao my bad" that's just insulting.

BbMajor7th

There's a difference between an ambitious game just struggling to run on hardware and a game shipping with a bunch of obvious issues that get patched in a week. It's quite possible that TOTK is just too much for a ten year old tablet, and that should get mentioned, but when a game launches looking like smeary shit and EA is like "lmao my bad" that's just insulting.
In essence, I agree, I don't mind really ambitious games having rough edges, it's unambitious ones that kind of bug me. That said, there's more that a developer is up against than the target platform alone, pressure to ship from publishers is often brutal and sometimes, you have to be willing to make compromises. For one company, that means shipping with image reconstruction issues and fixing in post, for another, it's keeping an intensive feature and eating the frame drops because you think it's worth it.

These are hard calls to make ultimately and people will have their own opinions on whether or not it was the right decision.

Banned
who stares at the screen at that close range?

in motion you see the FSR2 issues without looking closely.
at best it looks like a smeary mess, and at worst you're looking at an image that's full of weird artefacts like trails behind anything that moves and constant pixel sizzling around objects.

I cropped the image so that people on mobile don't have to zoom in to see details.
that's also the reason Digital Foundry slows down and zooms in 400% in their videos, because it's not easy to show issues like these when you don't know which kind of device the person you try to show it is looking at what you are presenting. (DF also does it because if YouTube compression completely mangling details tho, not just because of people watching on phones)

winjer

Gold Member
FSR1.0 kinda sucks so I wouldn't celebrate it just yet. DF is known to have blind spots when it comes to judging this tech.

FSR is probably the best spatial upscaler. And for a console like the Switch, is the perfect fit.
It is extremely fast to run, and very easy to implement.
A temporal upscaler like FSR2 or TSR, have such overhead, that it would probably reduce performance on a Switch.

Banned
FSR is probably the best spatial upscaler. And for a console like the Switch, is the perfect fit.
It is extremely fast to run, and very easy to implement.
A temporal upscaler like FSR2 or TSR, have such overhead, that it would probably reduce performance on a Switch.

and TSR and FSR2 look awful at low resolutions. which is why I never understood why people were hoping that they'll be used on Switch back when they were new.

I mean TAA is already really on the edge of being useable at anything below 1080p, but this gets even worse woth FSR2 imo.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Look at those 30fps.

Its Beautiful Reaction GIF

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Eventually they’ll be a new Nintendo, years improved on breath of the wild’s abilities.

Xdrive05

Very, very wise choice to use FSR1 on this! Did John say that it’s upscaling from 900p to 1080p? That should look sharper than BOTW for sure! (I understand the res drops lower with camera pans in some areas which is a fair concession to keep frames)

I also wonder what future patches are coming. I think BOTW got several pretty early on.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
It’s nothing short of a miracle this game expands on BotW in all the ways it does and stays incredibly stable and bug-free.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
So Nintendo can make transition from the sky to the ground load-free on a mobile hardware from a decade ago but Arkane had to implement loading screen for transition from outside to hideout interior. Damn.

Shifty1897

I kept watching Link skydiving and thinking "where are the frame drops? How is this running on a switch?" Really impressive stuff. This game makes me all the more excited for a new Switch console though. If they can get this level of performance out of a .5 TFLOP machine, just imagine what they could do with their next console.

Mahavastu

I know FSR is open source, but Nvidia would promove their own technology somehow? Maybe NS hardware still too weak for DLSS or limited.
Still, hope more Nintendo Switch games use FSR because this help a lot.
For DLSS you need special hardware, which is only available in (compared with the Switch) rather new nVidia cards. The Switch can not do it.

OpenSource means, that Nintendo can use the existing code and hand optimize it for the Hardware they have, giving them better performance than one would expect "out of the box". Not sure if they did it.

MikeM

Wild they got that out of the Switch. I still find it criminal that such a great game is tied to such terrible hardware. Game could have been so much more.

Fake

For DLSS you need special hardware, which is only available in (compared with the Switch) rather new nVidia cards. The Switch can not do it.

OpenSource means, that Nintendo can use the existing code and hand optimize it for the Hardware they have, giving them better performance than one would expect "out of the box". Not sure if they did it.

I stated that in my post if you forgot.

DLSS need a hardware compatible.

CamHostage

Wait it uses FSR 1.0? That's fucking smart, well done Nintendo for branching out in the technology space. Could that be a glimpse into what the next "Switch" could consist of, with competent hardware making use of upscale technology?

FYI to the thread since there's a lot of talk about FSR, this isn't the first time it's been used on Switch, or the first Nintendo use of it. Switch Sports apparently has it in, maybe Splatoon 3. On the third-party side, the Switch versions of Sonic Frontiers, Life is Strange, and Hot Wheels Unleashed use it. (Hot Wheels apparently even shows a FSR toggle in the options menu when it was patched into all versions of the game.)

Good stuff that it's being adopted so readily. The Nintendo integration of Fidelity Super Resolution is supposedly added into the base "agl" graphics library for Switch developers, so you might have already encountered it in other games you didn't know have it.

Last edited:
yes, advanced.
the amount of world simulation and systemic game mechanics that work in tandem in Zelda is far beyond any other game on the market.
Which exists in other games, you just have been playing the usual suspects so long this seems new to you, instead of the industry cutting corners from going in the same direction. Which is what the problem is.

Alebrije

Knowing Nintendo by 2024 when they announce the New console..surely they will uncover a port of this game even could be on a bundle.

Just imagine this game on 60fps with 2k resolution ...could be a double deep situation.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Knowing Nintendo by 2024 when they announce the New console..surely they will uncover a port of this game even could be on a bundle
Skyward Sword launched on Wii in 2011.

Got its first port/remaster on Switch in 2021.

Nintendo can be weird. Hopefully they’ll do a port though, would be a shame if it was stuck on Switch for years.

Banned
Which exists in other games, you just have been playing the usual suspects so long this seems new to you, instead of the industry cutting corners from going in the same direction. Which is what the problem is.

yes in buggy indy games that play like ass

Gudji

solution? it was never a problem. How the hell did you run out of weapons in BOTW? they were literally everywhere.
It's not about running out of weapons it's about being fucking annoying and not letting me play the way I want. There's plenty of people that are vocal about it online don't tell me this is the first time you're hearing about it?!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm sorry, but I don't see what everyone is going so nuts over and praising Nintendo about. They've had 6 years to work on this and reused the BOTW engine and a ton of it's assets, so there had better be some improvements somewhere. Visually, this is a tiny step up, but it seems like the majority of the time went into the physics.

The game is doing some cool things with physics, but aside from that, I'm not understanding what is so mindblowing that this makes Nintendo the best technical developer ever.

That’s all you got out of it? How many AAA games require an ounce of thought or creativity to solve a problem?

AAA is almost entirely pretty movie graphics, with dumbed down gameplay.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
isn't it kinda sad that the most advanced open world game of today is on a handheld that's most likely less powerful than the phone you have?

kinda says a lot about how most AAA games are designed these days :/
The problem is the developers do have tech and budget will only focus on making the game "pretty" rather than adding any interesting mechanic or interactivity.

And based most type of threads we get in GAF, it what most people want, they care far more about taking pretty screenshot and post them online rather than actually engaging with with gameplay.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
It's not about running out of weapons it's about being fucking annoying and not letting me play the way I want. There's plenty of people that are vocal about it online don't tell me this is the first time you're hearing about it?!
Damn, that sounds like you should play a different game entirely.

Ok and? Game is massive with full physics systems applied to the world and packed with content.
My point is the bar is higher for alot of the other games its not fair to even compare this game to the others. Most of the games that launched in a bad state were multiple platform with 4k and or 60 FPS requirements.

I just don't like the clear bias that Nintendo games get but whatever, nostalgia is one hell of a drug lol

Its crazy that this game and horizon forbidden west are even the same price but that's for another conversation.

Top Bottom