• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Is It Really 'Too Big for Switch'...?

Fake

I kinda shocked how well end up.

Most important, the game not only use dynamic resolution scaler, but also use AMD Fidelity Super Resolution 1.0 just like Hogwarts Legacy for PS4/Xbox. Using FSR was a genius ideia from Zelda devs side.
900p while docked and 720p while mobile.

I not easily impressed, even so I still don't like BOTW, but kudos to Nintendo. ToTK really show what NS still capable of. The game is super polish.

Last edited:

Banned
Hopefully the next console is not only BC but also upgrades certsin games. This will look amazing in 4k/60fps

there was this Pokémon leaker that accurately predicted the Pokémon direct and also said that he is on a team working on a next gen patch for Pokémon.

so this could be coming

Last edited:

Eotheod

I kinda shocked how well end up.

Most important, the game not only use dynamic resolution scaler, but also use AMD Fidelity Super Resolution 1.0 just like Hogwarts Legacy for PS4/Xbox. Using FSR was a genius ideia from Zelda devs side.
900p while docked and 720p while mobile.

I not easily impressed, even so I still don't like BOTW, but kudos to Nintendo. ToTK really show what NS still capable of. The game is super polish.
Wait it uses FSR 1.0? That's fucking smart, well done Nintendo for branching out in the technology space. Could that be a glimpse into what the next "Switch" could consist of, with competent hardware making use of upscale technology?

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Wait it uses FSR 1.0? That's fucking smart, well done Nintendo for branching out in the technology space. Could that be a glimpse into what the next "Switch" could consist of, with competent hardware making use of upscale technology?
Would be smart, especially if the go with another hybrid console.

Fake

Yep. AMD FSR 1.0. Now, how a system with Nvidia hardware not pushing Nvidia DLSS is the real question here. The problem with DLSS is that this need to be supported via hardware, while FSR can be implemented via sofware or engine inbuild.

I know FSR is open source, but Nvidia would promove their own technology somehow? Maybe NS hardware still too weak for DLSS or limited.
Still, hope more Nintendo Switch games use FSR because this help a lot.

And about your question, no. I don't think the Nintendo Switch sucessor will use FSR, probably will try target Nvidia DLSS.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

there was this Pokémon leaker that accurately predicted the Pokémon direct and also said that he is on a team working on a next gen patch for Pokémon.

so this could be coming
I remember hearing something about that. Hopefully it's true and we actually get to play this game on hardware it truly deserved

GHG

Yep. AMD FSR 1.0. Now, how a system with Nvidia hardware not pushing Nvidia DLSS is the real question here. The problem with DLSS is that this need to be supported via hardware, while FSR can be implemented via sofware or engine inbuild.

I know FSR is open source, but Nvidia would promove their own technology somehow? Maybe NS hardware still too weak for DLSS or limited.
Still, hope more Nintendo Switch games use FSR because this help a lot.

And about your question, no. I don't think the Nintendo Switch sucessor will use FSR, probably will try target Nvidia DLSS.

DLSS is superior to FSR due to the use of the tensor cores, so specific hardware is required.

If Nintendo stick with Nvidia then no doubt their next piece of hardware will allow for the use of DLSS.

Robb

Gold Member
That’s super good to hear! Nintendo are freaking magicians when it comes to their own hardware.
Awesome Marvel Studios GIF by Disney+

isn't it kinda sad that the most advanced open world game of today is on a handheld that's most likely less powerful than the phone you have?

kinda says a lot about how most AAA games are designed these days :/

I'm sure we'll get some cringe dev tweets about TOTK now that reviews have released just like we saw with Elden Ring. :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I think them fitting such a game on the Switch is most certainly a feat within itself. But honestly they should be able to do that, it's their exclusive, on their system. Nintendo has never missed the mark in that regard. What I'm wondering is are there more slowdowns than the previous game? Because they DO exist apparently.

diffusionx

Gold Member
If they want to go with DLSS then they need to include the hardware on the die. But that requires sacrificing other potential elements on said die and would cost more. So it really comes down to what they and Nvidia want to come up with.

Fake

FSR1 is not worse, it's just a sharpening filter, it's a completely different type of image treatment.
and anything is better than the sizzling and shitty upsampling of FSR2

FSR1 use algorithms for upscaling if I remember correctly. Maybe is not that good, but I quite sure is not just a sharpening filter.

Will end up to the devs how to use.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
FSR1 is not worse, it's just a sharpening filter, it's a completely different type of image treatment.
FSR1 isn't just a sharpening filter though.

Resident Evil 4, Dead Space

Final Fantasy XVI, Spider-Man 2 and FFVII Rebirth are looking like safe bets, too.

2023 is just fine.
We're 5 months into 2023 and you named 2 AAA games, including one that had botched VRS and traversal stutters, but conveniently ignored the disastrous releases?

Jedi Survivor - shit
Forspoken - shit
Redfall - shit
TLOU Part I PC - shit

And that's ignoring late 2022 releases:

Callisto Protocol - shit on Xbox
Gotham Knights - shit

diffusionx

Gold Member
Resident Evil 4, Dead Space

Final Fantasy XVI, Spider-Man 2 and FFVII Rebirth are looking like safe bets, too.

2023 is just fine.
Didn't RE4 and Dead Space have major IQ issues at launch, especially on PS5? Didn't RE4 have a major deadzone issue on Xbox?

I guess definitions can vary on polished but even if those were fixed quickly it's still unacceptable.

Otre

Banned
The fuck are you on about? About every comparison shows that FSR2 looks better.

Whatever. John's Tech reviews are always top quality and im glad that the Switch version is not a locked 20fps, except with ultra hand enabled on crowded scenes. Also, that thorough Horse posterior lighting analysis was a nice touch.

Banned
FSR1 isn't just a sharpening filter though.

FSR1 use algorithms for upscaling if I remember correctly. Maybe is not that good, but I quite sure is not just a sharpening filter.

technically speaking it's "not just a sharpening filter", sure. but practically speaking it's not really much more than that.

it does have the ability to look for geometry edges and smooth them while increasing their resolution.
but in practice it's just a slightly more sophisticated sharpening filter.

and it's also not really related to FSR2 in a technical sense, it simply shares the same name.

after being subjected to Jedi Survivor tho, I'd take a raw 720p with zero AA over FSR2...

just a reminder what FSR2 at lower resolutions looks like:
swscreenzoomxlfwx.png

it's like if you use a really low quality JPEG compression on an image 🤣
in motion it's even worse, because what you can't see here is the pixel fizzling in motion 🙃

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

And that's ignoring late 2022 releases:
Like GOW Ragnarok?

Didn't RE4 and Dead Space have major IQ issues at launch, especially on PS5? Didn't RE4 have a major deadzone issue on Xbox?

I guess definitions can vary on polished but even if those were fixed quickly it's still unacceptable.
TOTK has drops into the 20s whenever you launch its most interesting new feature, and drops to 720p whenever you move the camera. It's an outstanding technical feat, but like the other games you mentioned, it's not perfect. It's okay to admit that, I don't know why people get so bent out of shape about acknowledging a few minor flaws in an otherwise excellent game.

If you do want something that was essentially perfect at launch (technically speaking, at least), then there are better examples elsewhere - God of War Ragnarok, for example.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
isn't it kinda sad that the most advanced open world game of today is on a handheld that's most likely less powerful than the phone you have?

It's very sad. This notion floating around that the quality of a game depends on the specs of the hardware has always struck me as bizarre.

JCK75

If one really has to compare FSR and DLSS again it can't be overstated that Nintendo is going with AMD's tech on an Nvidia chipset, because the Nvidia version is not an option.
I mean I have an Nvidia GPU and AMD's tech is the only option I have to work with as well.

Banned
It's very sad. This notion floating around that the quality of a game depends on the specs of the hardware has always struck me as bizarre.

makes you wonder tho what could be done if a developer made a highly complex game using all the hardware power available on the new consoles.

while the quality and/or complexity don't entirely depend on the hardware, better hardware gives a bigger potential for complexity and intricate game mechanics... which sadly stays almost entirely unused in any meaningful way, as modern AAA game devs are more occupied with how well their motion capture equipment is, instead of trying to use the potential available to them for systemic gameplay and simulation complexity.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
A brand new AAA game in 2023 that comes in at just 16 GB and isn't a broken mess is something we shouldn't celebrate.
It should be the standard across the entire industry.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
technically speaking it's "not just a sharpening filter", sure. but practically speaking it's not really much more than that.

it does have the ability to look for geometry edges and smooth them while increasing their resolution.

and it's also not really related to FSR2 in a technical sense, it simply shares the same name.

after being subjected to Jedi Survivor tho, I'd take a raw 720p with zero AA over FSR2...

swscreenzoomxlfwx.png

in motion it's even worse, because what you can't see here is the pixel fizzling in motion 🙃
I mean, yeah, FSR2 at low resolution is pretty shit lol. If you reconstruct from a 1440p base to 4K though, it's pretty solid.

Banned
I mean, yeah, FSR2 at low resolution is pretty shit lol. If you reconstruct from a 1440p base to 4K though, it's pretty solid.

it's decent at that yes, but at anything below that, honestly, just give me TAA and leave it at that.
that doesn't only look better but also saves GPU resources.

I kinda hope that Respawn will eventually patch out FSR2 from the performance mode of Jedi Survivor. they should just use TAAU, save GPU power, and get rid of the sizzling and 3 or 4 afterimages FSR2 produces.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

swscreenzoomxlfwx.png

who stares at the screen at that close range?

ReBurn

Gold Member
makes you wonder tho what could be done if a developer made a highly complex game using all the hardware power available on the new consoles.

while the quality and/or complexity don't entirely depend on the hardware, better hardware gives a bigger potential for complexity and intricate game mechanics... which sadly stays almost entirely unused in any meaningful way, as modern AAA game devs are more occupied with how well their motion capture equipment is, instead of trying to use the potential available to them for systemic gameplay and simulation complexity.
I would love to see it, but I doubt it would happen. Nobody will try unless they know it will sell.

I agree that better hardware provides more potential for more technically advanced games with new gameplay possibilities. I'm skeptical that it would be the thing that makes the game great. We've had increasingly better hardware but it hasn't really led to anything innovative in terms of design, storytelling for years. We're still getting the same kinds of games we got during the PS360 generation. They're just prettier and more detailed. Portal is one of the last games I can remember where better hardware enabled something new.

Fbh

Seems surprisingly good

Yup, I've been saying this ever since BotW. It's sad a game on a dated tablet from 2017 feels in many ways more interactive than anything made on much more powerful hardware.
That's the result of 90% of the AAA industry just focusing on graphics above everything else

so this could be coming
Ain't happening. Along with a shit release to the new gen and news about workers at the printer factory stealing all the hits direct from the factory in the TCG. I highly doubt Nintendo will want to bother pushing any more resources into Pokemon right now.

As for the Zelda Devs working some legitimate fucking magic with this game its looking good and you can tell they've put time and effort into making sure this thing not only looks as best it can but runs as best it can on the hardware they're working with.

Sensational!

Last edited:

kevm3

I'm sorry, but I don't see what everyone is going so nuts over and praising Nintendo about. They've had 6 years to work on this and reused the BOTW engine and a ton of it's assets, so there had better be some improvements somewhere. Visually, this is a tiny step up, but it seems like the majority of the time went into the physics.

The game is doing some cool things with physics, but aside from that, I'm not understanding what is so mindblowing that this makes Nintendo the best technical developer ever.

Top Bottom