• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom' Previews are coming up

Ogbert

The Skill Up preview is brilliant.

I think people need to realise what Nintendo are doing. It’s a Minecraft sandbox built upon an exceptional physics engine. The point of the game is creativity.

I appreciate that people are hoping for linear dungeons, but it’s just not going to be the that sort of title.

Enjoy it for what it is rather than what it isn’t.

Bragr

Banned
There is something called "autobuild" where you can save creations. That's gonna be helpful.

I also like how the building and crafting are in-game, it's fast and intuitive, rather than the usual crafting benches and menus you see in other games.

Zelda + Gary's mod.

Shame the performance is really bad. Gonna have to play this on the Steam Deck at some point if it's as bad as they are saying.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
No dungeons is bad I agree but everything else is incredible for me, you’re rooting for link against ganon who feels like a real threat.

Codes 208

I think people need to realise what Nintendo are doing. It’s a Minecraft sandbox built upon an exceptional physics engine. The point of the game is creativity.

I appreciate that people are hoping for linear dungeons, but it’s just not going to be the that sort of title.

Botw was already heavily based on a game creator nintendo made (essentially mario maker but zelda)

So this does seem like the nature evolution of that and i couldnt be happier

Power Pro

Wish the industry would move beyond giving early access to these outlets. The thing is, I don't give a crap what any of these outlets would have to say. More and more, they're employed by people with no real qualifications...they're just people who got lucky to get hired to do an easy job. Any one of us here would be just as qualified as these fools, so hearing "I think it looks good" from some idiot on gamespot, or comicbook.com or especially IGN where we've seen proof that they employ morons. Instead of giving early access to these morons, just release the fucking game now instead of waiting for some arbitrary release date that you set in stone. People will buy it regardless.

Last edited:
With the game abandoning Link's old powers and no trace of more traditional items, it's looking like this game is going all-in on the building mechanics. Not what I expected or wanted from BotW's sequel. I was hoping for a fusion between BotW's open world with more traditional Zelda elements like dungeons and items and a fleshed out story. That's not what TotK is. I get that many people will enjoy this new style of gameplay. It is innovative and special. But is it Zelda? Not for me.

Ogbert

Botw was already heavily based on a game creator nintendo made (essentially mario maker but zelda)

So this does seem like the nature evolution of that and i couldnt be happier
I do understand why people might be frustrated.

My ideal situation would by BoTW continuing to do its thing, and Nintendo releasing a new 2d Zelda series that is dungeon centric.

kunonabi

Who said “No Dungeons”?
Its one of those "silence is deafening" moments. Obviously they could be hiding them but it's just weird that they have had so many opportunities to address it and they just haven't. That said, Nintendo has a habit of making things harder for themselves than necessary so who knows.

Codes 208

I do understand why people might be frustrated.

My ideal situation would by BoTW continuing to do its thing, and Nintendo releasing a new 2d Zelda series that is dungeon centric.
Even if they just ported the wii u remakes I’d be content on that classic dungeon itch, but im also not against the new playstyle botw takes.

Botw and elden ring are both those types of massive rpg sanbox games id put in my too ten list

Madflavor

This FFXVI and Diablo 4 will occupy my summer time, then Starfield in September.

So I think I'll wait on ToTK for the Holidays. Looks good, but I'm not huge into building craft type games. While players are going to be busy building a Star Destroyer to travel across platforms and then posting it on Youtube, I'll be building a 4x4 flat surface with a rocket in the back. I could give a shit.

Robb

Gold Member
Not sure I agree. I’m all for this creative spin on the franchise etc. but If you call it Zelda, make it Zelda. Otherwise make a new IP.

I hope, and have confidence in, that the dev team know people wanted more themed dungeons and that they’ve made some for this one.

Its one of those "silence is deafening" moments.
This was an extremely controlled demo though. They’re definitely keeping loads of stuff off limits.

This seemed more like a “have a taste of the abilities” than anything else.

Ogbert

Not sure I agree. I’m all for this creative spin on the franchise etc. but If you call it Zelda, make it Zelda. Otherwise make a new IP.
I completely get that point of view.

Funnily enough, it’s one I share for Elden Ring. I disliked the open world formula or, rather, felt like it diluted what makes Souls games so great - linear, intricate dungeons.

Others of course, loved the switch. So I find myself occupying the opposite side of the argument, depending on title.

I just adore BoTW’s world. I loved the music, the ambience, everything about it.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח

But how can they enjoy something if they can't complain about it on the internet?

L*][*N*K

Banned
Its one of those "silence is deafening" moments. Obviously they could be hiding them but it's just weird that they have had so many opportunities to address it and they just haven't. That said, Nintendo has a habit of making things harder for themselves than necessary so who knows.
They haven’t shown anything in that regard, maybe they just want us to discover it ourselves.

Terenty

Even though Fuse looks like a cool feature I still can't see the reason to engage with enemies. Fighting for the sake of fighting doesn't seem fun to me. If there's nothing to loot and no way to upgrade your character then what's the point?

The game still looks like an undercooked rpg with some crucial elements missing

Stafford

I watched the Skill Up video.

It seems pretty crazy all the stuff you can do in this sandbox, it will make for countless hours of experimenting and fun, that seems guaranteed.

But that performance, man. And he said it definitely affected the gameplay for him too. Nintendo can be just a frustrating company man, not gonna lie. A game of this size would benefit so much from much better hardware, instead they are fine with dinosaur ass hardware.

30fps locked would be doable, even with it looking worse than BOTW at times too, unless it's YouTube (doubt it) but it's far from locked 30fps.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Expecting Paramount Network GIF by Yellowstone
Not having any frame rate dips as it is still a "Wii U looking" game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m not watching, I’m already sold on the game and I know it’s worth my time.

I just need to finish XC3 Future Redeemed DLC before this drops in and we have FFXVI month after.

this year has been fantastic for me.

kunonabi

They haven’t shown anything in that regard, maybe they just want us to discover it ourselves.

I'm not paying 70$ to discover if dungeons make it in. People who care will just wait till players or reviewers, if they're allowed anyway, confirm or deny that they're in which it makes it utterly pointless for them to not answer the question in advance.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I'm hoping this doesnt turn out to be a case where you have to build shit nonstop to accomplish anything. That isn't Zelda to me, sounds more like Minecraft.

Gonna wait and see how the reviews pan out.

Robb

Gold Member
I just adore BoTW’s world. I loved the music, the ambience, everything about it.
Same here! But with BotW I could overlook the shortcomings considering the huge departure from the rest of the franchise it was.

Now they’ve had plenty of time to just add to this new foundation and figure out how to make the most of it. I don’t even think they have to change anything from BotW, just make the divine beasts into actual themed dungeons with unique bosses and puzzles and there you go.

I’ve been replaying BotW now and going back the divine beast are very disappointing. On the other hand the shrines have been a lot of fun to revisit, to my surprise. So I hope they keep those types of mini-dungeons in this as well.

Last edited:

Fbh

Only watched the Skill Up video but the sandbox itself looks amazing. Love the use of physics and flexibility, THIS is the sort of stuff that I want to see more in open world games as opposed to just graphics and it sucks that I have to go to an underpowered tablet from 2017 to get it.

But at the same time it's a bit disappointing that at least so far it seems like another game fully focused on the sandbox without some more classic Zelda elements like dungeons, I was hoping it would be a bit of both.

Woopah

The people doing the previews mentioned that there are several things they saw which they aren't allowed to mention yet (including one of Links abilities)

I'd say wait for reviews and impressions before we can confirm no dungeons.

Woopah

I don't feel like going through 100s of Nintendo paid for marketing shills.

Is there a preview from anyone who had complaints about the first game and if the second game is doing anything about it?
Even though Fuse looks like a cool feature I still can't see the reason to engage with enemies. Fighting for the sake of fighting doesn't seem fun to me. If there's nothing to loot and no way to upgrade your character then what's the point?

The game still looks like an undercooked rpg with some crucial elements missing
Zeltik mentioned this BOTW issue in his preview and that enemies now drop useful enough resources to make fighting them worthwhile .

Robb

Gold Member
I still can't see the reason to engage with enemies.
I would imagine the gameplay loop they want in this one is to fight enemies in order to get materials that you can then fuse to other stuff.

Getting Keese eyeballs will be very useful since you can make homing arrows from their eyes. So you’re going to want to kill them if you find them.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they’ve added a lot of very useful fuse-traits to the monster parts specifically so that you gain a lot of useful stuff when you kill them.

Last edited:

Luipadre

I really hope they will smooth out the framerate a bit by launch because there was a huge framedrop literally everytime there is something happening on the screen

Top Bottom