• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom | Review Thread

What score do you think The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • 10 -20%

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40-50%

• 50-60%

• 60-70%

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 70-80%

• 80-85%

• 85-90%

Votes: 24 9.1%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 101 38.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 125 47.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

reksveks

When I craft stuff like rafts, it stays stuck together and I can't detach the parts. But when I try to craft weapons by like, attaching a rock to a stick, they do attach but when I pick them up they just come apart again instead of staying together as a weapon. Am I doing it wrong? Or do I need to wait until a later point in the game to be allowed to use ultrahand to craft weapons? The game even said u can attach a leaf to a stick to make a fan but when I attached them they just came apart when I picked it up...
Have you got the fuse ability yet?

You use fuse for the weapons.

There is two abilities, ultrahand and fuse. Fuse is for weapons and ultrahand is for basically everything else.

Last edited:

Markio128

Sod’s law that I’d be too busy to play the game this weekend ☹️
I don’t want to start it until I know I’ve got a few hours free, so that I can soak it all in.

Ogbert

The review explains why it got a 6. It's actually a thought out review with explanations of things.

Reviews are wholly subjective pieces. That's the entire point.

If the review was the worst written thing in the world, yet still gave the game a perfect score do you think people would be whining about having it removed form Metacritic?

This also shows how fucked up the review scale is for games.

-
In other news: Amazon has shipped my copy.
Only bad reviews are entirely subjective.

It’s an argument as old as history, but a capable critic has to be able to recognise and champion the objective standards of his chosen art form, alongside his subjective tastes. A good food critic knows an excellent dish, even if he doesn’t enjoy the base ingredients. You can marvel at craftsmanship and quality, even if you’re not convinced by the colour or look of any given item.

Anyway, who cares? Let’s play Zelda.

Majukun

Or they were just giving their honest opinion. Careful, you don't want to be one of those 8.8 maniacs.
both things can be true.
you might not like a game for personal reasonsm, but as a reviewer sometimes you try to take away your bias as much as possible because the review needs to be useful for everybody, not for people with just your taste.
ideally you would have a system where multiple people review a game at once so to give multiple perspectives...but i guess that's what metacritics is for.

what i'm trying to say it's that i totally believe the score is honest, but also that from the website they gave the ok to this specific guy to review it because it was gonna be good clickbait.

SoraBro

Neo Member
How are the odds to like this game when botw didnt click with me?
Probably not likely, but it depends on what you didn't like specifically.

Didn't like the weapon durability, for instance? That's still here, even with the fusing mechanic.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
office-cardboard-working.gif

Me at the office today

Fabieter

Probably not likely, but it depends on what you didn't like specifically.

Didn't like the weapon durability, for instance? That's still here.

Well I had the same problem as with the 20 surival games I own on steam. I felt lost. I dont need to actually told everything but I need a small direction.

SoraBro

Neo Member
Well I had the same problem as with the 20 surival games I own on steam. I felt lost. I dont need to actually told everything but I need a small direction.
There's quest logs with story quests having a marker usually.
Was that the case with botw as well?
Yeah, but IMO, this game is less direct at times. Sometimes it has a marker telling you exactly where to go. Other times, it doesn't, leaving you to search around the area or ask the NPCs for hints here and there. The latter applied to a couple of main quests at points like the Zora teardrop puzzle

Last edited:

Fabieter

Yeah, but IMO, this game is less direct at times. Sometimes it has a marker telling you exactly where to go. Other times, it doesn't, leaving you to search around the area or ask the NPCs for hints here and there. The latter applied to a couple of main quests at points like the Zora teardrop puzzle

i'd say 40%
it's botw, but a lot of the gameplay loops, management and traversal mechanics are very different

i'm just at the start though

Kinda sad. Was super bumped to play botw originally and technically it should be for me but I have my difficulties with sandbox games in general.

Fabieter

yes but in botw you had very few quests and really only one or two main quests that you didn't even had to follow...this game has a proper main quest with steps to do in order..already tried to skip a step and got hit with a "nope" by the game

Nani? This sounds promising :D

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
A very interesting video from French newspaper about what was so great about BotW, it's in French but the subtitles are in English:

I never played BotW, I guess it's time to take the plunge.

Majukun

I mean yea it's possible, botw kinda started the same way but if it sticks it might be for me after all.
it goes past botw for sure, they both have a tutorial area, but after that botw just pops the "defeat ganon" mission and leaves you with it only pointing you to the next town as a courtesy, here after tutorial area you get a straight pointer to the next part, there some hints of where to look for new stuff and at one of those points you get a really big mark on the next place to visit that as i speak seems to be the wall I have to pass to continue the story.

Fabieter

it goes past botw for sure, they both have a tutorial area, but after that botw just pops the "defeat ganon" mission and leaves you with it only pointing you to the next town as a courtesy, here after tutorial area you get a straight pointer to the next part, there some hints of where to look for new stuff and at one of those points you get a really big mark on the next place to visit that as i speak seems to be the wall I have to pass to continue the story.

Well reading this kinda hypes me. I will keep an eye on this if this stays than its getting wishlisted.

SoraBro

Neo Member
Nani? This sounds promising :D
It works similarly like the Divine Beasts. After the tutorial at Lookout Landing (which the game also nudges you to), you’ll be told to go to 4 locations at each corner of the map and it’s up to you to decide where to go to first.

For me, it was to the northwest towards Rito Village and the quest there is straight forward. Make sure that you’re reasonably stocked up, though.

hemo memo

Gold Member
yes but in botw you had very few quests and really only one or two main quests that you didn't even had to follow...this game has a proper main quest with steps to do in order..already tried to skip a step and got hit with a "nope" by the game
I’m at the start but this is promising.

Had my Amiibo delivered which came in quite a large box, but no game. I'm wondering whether there will be a second Royal Mail delivery today as TGC shipped using RM24. Really tempted to just go out and buy it as I'm not doing anything today.

Hoppa

Well reading this kinda hypes me. I will keep an eye on this if this stays than its getting wishlisted.
I've played a couple hours - wasn't a huge fan of BoTW and this is very similar but the new mechanics are fun to experiment with. I just can't really get into it sadly, I might be missing something but I feel like they've dumped me into this huge map and am just left to roam around until I stumble upon the next area - I don't really mind that, but with so much roaming and backtracking the stamina meter is doing my head in because even the sprint isn't that quick

I really want to play this but sold my old launch day switch a couple years ago and not spending £350+ on an OLED and the game in 2023 😫

Nintendo should have brought out the switch 2 with this game and I'd buy day 1 lol

MMaRsu

Banned
I've played a couple hours - wasn't a huge fan of BoTW and this is very similar but the new mechanics are fun to experiment with. I just can't really get into it sadly, I might be missing something but I feel like they've dumped me into this huge map and am just left to roam around until I stumble upon the next area - I don't really mind that, but with so much roaming and backtracking the stamina meter is doing my head in because even the sprint isn't that quick
Create a motorcycle!

Cyborg

Got the CE (for collecting purposes) and the regular version! I must say this game looks like sh*t at certain points, and in so many places this occurs. I do think reviewers overlooked this on purpose but they do complain about graphics on other platforms/games.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Game is incredible. I legitimately think this might be my favorite game of all time, dethroning the toss up i had between BotW and Witcher 3. Just the amount to explore is stunning. Being able to explore the same Hyrule AGAIN, but it still feel so fresh and unique is an achievement. Then taking the entire underground and the tons of sky islands...there's so much here. Playing via emulation on PC really helps the game show how great looking it can be, shame that Nintendo doesn't embrace that more to flex harder.

Madflavor

I guess I will jumping between TotK and FFXVI, I still have get further in TotK before FFXVI drops in.
Ha good luck. I think I’m putting off TotK for this reason. I want to sink my time into and not worry about another game release. TotK looks like a comfy Holiday game, so I’ll probably pick it up in November.

Variahunter

So I’ve been playing this game for a week, since the leak.
Could not play this week as I’m in vacation.

Can’t say I understand the reviews.

I find it to be a great expansion, but almost none of the fixes I was waiting for have made it.

- No underwater exploration.
- No traditional items
- No traditional dungeon progression (with key, master key, item) as I heared, I didn’t do any of them so far, just exploration of the depths, Hyrule and the sky.
- No sense of power progression
- Hyrule map is just slightly modified here and there, mostly the same
- The depths are great at the beginning, oozing with atmosphere and hard, but I dived in right at the beginning. After a while, there not much variation in the topography nor the biomes.
- Sky is for the most part a lot of the same islands, and there’s just a few of them.

Obviously, it’s still just 25 hours spend with the game, but the repetition of the same mechanics really feels like an expansion.

- Shrines are here AGAIN, while I would have liked most of the puzzle to be integrated directly into the overworld.

- Korogus are still here, and hearing the exact same sounds does not make me happy.

- Weapons still break very fast, even with the fuse system. And it really diminish the joy of getting a new weapon.

- Still the same move sets for all weapons, which means only 3 move sets (spear, sword, big sword). Combat so far still doesn’t feel good, From software has been here for 15 years Nintendo, get on the train.

I mean the puzzles are great, the characters are great and you really want to know them, they feel different from each other and seem to have an agenda because they move around depending of the day time or the weather.

Quest are much better, I mean to get the Sheikah tunic you have to prepare a special recipe and give it to someone so they feel better, then the price of the shop that sells it will lower and you’ll be able to buy them. There’s plenty of little quest like that.

Building vehicles can be fun, but sometimes it’s faster to ignore it and just go on foot. Flying on the air is a really cool feeling though.

Caves on the surface of Hyrule are pretty cool, but they look the same. I’ve not done much of them though. Exploration looks to be cool inside. I also like the wells that they added.

That’s it. It’s still a very good game, but the flaws most of us saw in BotW are still here, what have they done in 6 years ?

And it reuses the same map…

Top Bottom