• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom' Previews are coming up

DKPOWPOW

Nintendo is being so coy with this game. Even with a 2 hour preview we don't know much more than we did a few weeks ago. The 3rd trailer was the most revealing of all, but mainly for story.

I think the worries regarding dungeons are valid. Though I wonder, did Nintendo just throw caution to the wind and ignore every fans complaints about BotW?

Or are they just hiding a much more fascinating feature of the game? The compass map feature really seems to suggest underground areas, we a see a snippet of what looks like one in the commercial.

The Ascend skill really does not seem all that valuable unless it either gets seriously upgraded, and or there are areas underground. Just in this preview you could see it's limits.

I don't understand Nintendo's reluctance to show one, as it would really increase the hype. Unless there is something truly unique and special going on here.

So perhaps they are truly gone and they fear the backlash.

Who knows? Only a couple weeks left.

GMCamaro

Tears of the Kingdom. Tears of the screen edge more like it. Wtf even is this? I’m holding out hope, but fucking hell, it’s feeling bleak. Maybe they do some crazy shit where Ganon kills Zelda.

NanaMiku

Nintendo is being so coy with this game. Even with a 2 hour preview we don't know much more than we did a few weeks ago. The 3rd trailer was the most revealing of all, but mainly for story.

I think the worries regarding dungeons are valid. Though I wonder, did Nintendo just throw caution to the wind and ignore every fans complaints about BotW?

Or are they just hiding a much more fascinating feature of the game? The compass map feature really seems to suggest underground areas, we a see a snippet of what looks like one in the commercial.

The Ascend skill really does not seem all that valuable unless it either gets seriously upgraded, and or there are areas underground. Just in this preview you could see it's limits.

I don't understand Nintendo's reluctance to show one, as it would really increase the hype. Unless there is something truly unique and special going on here.

So perhaps they are truly gone and they fear the backlash.

Who knows? Only a couple weeks left.
Didn't they do the same thing with BOTW? All preview are only on the Great Plateau IIRC

This site primarily only cares about game performance and sales numbers. Pretty sad honestly. I never see game lore discussion on like anything here. 1st party IP's on the Switch when played on the Switch have never had any performance issues. Youtube compression is historically awful unless you have direct feed footage.

The game will be fine and those ragging on it will be supporting the game after launch or simply disappear into the ether.
Lol, who are you two? Match made in heaven apparently. Should hang out and swap hyperboles. 1) first game was rough technically, bland open world, and a far cry from “stunning”. Had some interesting mechanics, but also some terrible ones, and that’s coming from someone who was motivated enough to finish it. This one looks to be following the same trend. Nothing wrong with that, but let’s not get crazy cause ya look like a pair of crazy Greta thunbergs

wXhU59v.gif

Nintendo is being so coy with this game. Even with a 2 hour preview we don't know much more than we did a few weeks ago.

The biggest takeaway today for me is that TotK is basically BOTW where the systems and exploration have far more depth than they ever had.

BOTW was great for exploration, but ToTK makes that exploration and combat far more meaningful and engaging. That is exciting enough. If they do manage to pair this with dungeons, then it will be a phenomenal title.

DKPOWPOW

Didn't they do the same thing with BOTW? All preview are only on the Great Plateau IIRC
Well, yeah in a way. Except we got that preview 9 months in advance almost. It was very in depth, not quite as controlled.

Pretty sure the Treehouse compilation of videos for BotW ended up being some where between 30 minutes to an hour long of what seemed like straight, uninterrupted footage..or maybe it was just better put together?

This is different, we're getting various media outlets getting to try 2 separate pieces of the game. There are areas specifically where they were not allowed to show. The showcase is interrupted.

Most of the footage ends up being around 10-20 mins of the game, multiple videos even end up showing old footage of the game because they can't show everything they recorded.

And we are about 2 weeks away from launch. With only 1 trailer showing any real meat from the game.

Its a bit odd to me. Next week review copies should be going out. What's the point of flying a bunch of people out for 2 hours of tightly controlled footage when in theory the lid could be popped off next week?

The biggest takeaway today for me is that TotK is basically BOTW where the systems and exploration have far more depth than they ever had.

BOTW was great for exploration, but ToTK makes that exploration and combat far more meaningful and engaging. That is exciting enough. If they do manage to pair this with dungeons, then it will be a phenomenal title.
It is definitely a far better showcase than the first 10 minutes they showed. It definitely seems like they managed a way to keep enticing you to explore despite reusing the engine and overworld.

But I'm not exactly blown away. Things look fun, and interesting. I expect more though, so hopefully they do have a lot more surprises in store. Feels like they do.

BlackTron

But I'm not exactly blown away. Things look fun, and interesting. I expect more though, so hopefully they do have a lot more surprises in store. Feels like they do.
This is my vibe. I'm not blown away, but I'm feeling more safe hoping that I will be in a few weeks. It looks promising.

It seems minimally like a much better BOTW but that doesn't pin just how good it will be yet. We might even be getting a Zelda that can stand with the older games which is insane.

Edit: Alexios I don't know why you have such a chip on your shoulder all the time. What is so funny? It does look to be minimally better than BOTW, and it could be as good as old titles if it ends up being BOTW: We Bothered To Finish The Game version. I'm not proclaiming it WILL be based on a preview.

Last edited:

darrylgorn

I'm reading about some not so happy impressions about the controls 😬

The controls in Tears of the Kingdom are not great and hard to adjust to. And different than Breath of the Wild’s controls, which were already not the most intuitive for some aspects of that game. Here’s what some previewers are saying:

• Gene Park (Washington Post): “One thing about Zelda Tears of the Kingdom: it is NOT easy to control. The game is packed with so many features, even 70 minutes wasn’t enough to get used to the buttons. this plays vastly different from BOTW.”

• Stephen Totilo (Axios): “As noted in my piece, Nintendo threw us into a chunk of the game where we had all the crafting powers already, and it's hard to assess how cumbersome the controls will be without being gradually taught them by playing through the game.”

• Jason Schreier (Bloomberg): “The controls are *rough*. Hoping you get used to them after a bunch of hours. But rotating and maneuvering objects can feel very finicky”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...reviews-mostly-have-one-common-complaint/amp/

Last edited:

Lethal01

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...reviews-mostly-have-one-common-complaint/amp/

We have seen how the controls for placing object work and they are exactly what you would want them to be. This was actually a concern for me but it was clear weeks ago they did it perfectly.

If they were talking about input lag I would agree, but they are having trouble learning how to manipulate objects in 3d, the controls are really the issue here.

Last edited:

Ogbert

My only concern, and this is very minor, is around Skill Up calling this quite a ‘finicky’ game.

I hope it’s not a constant case of pausing and navigating the UI, disrupting the flow of the game.

Also, fingers crossed for recipe book and proper fishing!

Robb

Gold Member
I hope it’s not a constant case of pausing and navigating the UI, disrupting the flow of the game.
Yeah that’s a thing that concerns me as well. BotW was already very ‘pause-heavy’ (although I’m very happy that the ultra hand stuff isn’t created in a ‘garage’-menu).

I was also hoping they would allow you to save pre-made sets of clothing and allow you to swap between them through a quick-menu or something. Feels weird that you can’t just equip a full set if you have it completed, but instead have to go to the menu and select the hat, then the shirt and then the pants individually..

Last edited:

BlackTron

I hope the issue with the controls is more a problem with being dunked into a section of the game already saddled with a lot of mechanics. I'm worried about core UI and control stuff some of which in BOTW was bad and needed updating. In particular there was no way to make combat smooth because you had to switch weapons/shields all the time and the way the quick menu worked in a context-sensitive way you couldn't use muscle memory. You just kept pressing buttons freezing the action looking disjointed and by design, no amount of experience could fix it. This made breakable stuff a double issue.

I was so relieved when I saw the menu updates I hope the whole game is "BOTW+" like this, original was unnecessarily convoluted and janky.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I remember thinking some of the controls in BotW were rough too, even going back after playing hundreds of hours. That said, knowing I’ll have to learn how to play this effectively doesn’t bother me much because I’ve done it before with BotW and I can do it again here…and when things really clicked with BotW, utilizing all of the abilities for things like the Master Sword trials or Eventide Island, that launched the fun factor into the stratosphere.

Marvel14

Banned
This site primarily only cares about game performance and sales numbers. Pretty sad honestly. I never see game lore discussion on like anything here. 1st party IP's on the Switch when played on the Switch have never had any performance issues. Youtube compression is historically awful unless you have direct feed footage.

The game will be fine and those ragging on it will be supporting the game after launch or simply disappear into the ether.
I was hoping to record their contributions for posterity but sadly my thread got nixed yesterday...🤐😪

Elysion

Banned
So it looks like underwater exploration won’t be a thing? That‘s the one thing that was missing from BotW that I‘d hoped they‘d bring back. But since none of the trailers, gameplay demos or preview footage even hinted at Link being able to dive underwater, I guess it‘s not in the game.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I guessing now the next switch iteration is a mid-gen refresh that does the super upscale tech and a faster ish processor.(higher FPS)

Allowing all the current switch library to be BC and the new games to work with current switch just have an upscale and higher frame rate on switch plus

I think Nintendo what to do what they did with the DS/DSi 3DS/new 3DS

Renoir

do we know if you get bonuses for having the previous game saved on your system? Like outfits or anything cool?

BbMajor7th

I'm about as sure as I can be the game will be an absolute banger, but the Game Explain video really is a perfect snapshot of why game journalists are so rarely taken seriously: 'Just rocking my Tri-Force necklace here, while I give you my professional opinion on this."

Kataploom

Gold Member
I started replaying BOTW to finish Champions's Ballad and try finding the remaining shrines, I'll rather wait for a more powerful Nintendo system to play TOTK, it will eventually come

Nothing wrong with the controls in the game at all. There is just a lot to do. L bumper does a lot of different things in conjunction with other buttons. If you want to create something you press the L bumper then press A to pick that item up. Up and Down on the D pad moves it closer or further to you. Hover next to what you want to make and it will give you more options. There is a lot to do but nothing at all wrong with the controls. Sounds like jurnos being bad at playing games, nothing new.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news

Yes my friends there are dungeons and bosses and the underground is giaganisaurus with many new enemy types

Nintendo finally crawled from the ashes for this game it's possibly the goat from my experiences

oh_i_get_it_chris_farley.gif

Krathoon

I went ahead and pre-ordered this. I have not finished BotW. I was wondering if it massively spoils the first game.

I mean sure, Link probably defeated Gannon.

Top Bottom