• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom' Previews are coming up

Draugoth

Gold Member
Videos:

Blogposts:

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
I watched a few of them, and most of them are very impressed and said that the game is on the level of the original based on the short part they played.

Most of them are saying the new abilities are insane, and that the sandbox possibilities are deep and complex, which makes it feel different that BOTW. It's gonna be one of those games where you ask your friend how they got passed an area, and it's gonna be completely different than what you did.

As for negatives, some did mention the same performance issues as the first game, which fucking sucks.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Lets Go Sport GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING

LordOfChaos

As for negatives, some did mention the same performance issues as the first game, which fucking sucks.

Classic Nintendo. I remember people thinking they'd fix this because the first game was cross gen and this one could be better optimized. Looks like it looks and runs quite the same as the first.

Anyways, the game looks very fun, just with the regular helping of Nintendoing.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Classic Nintendo. I remember people thinking they'd fix this because the first game was cross gen and this one could be better optimized. Looks like it looks and runs quite the same as the first.

Anyways, the game looks very fun, just with the regular helping of Nintendoing.

The first game was COMPLETELY recoded from scratch in a new architecture on Switch and this is obviously using the same engine (and map, with a lot added and changed).

Whoever thought that was gonna happen was loony. I hope not the same people who thought it looked like BOTW DLC because that's actively contradictory lol

It's apparent BOTW pushed Switch as hard as possible. If you have an issue with BOTW/TotK performance take it with the hardware, not their software performance which is really freaking good for what they have to work with (old ass shit).

BlackTron

Very ugly looking game. Shimmering shadows and everything is low res with constant framerate drops. Should've waited.

I'm VERY excited for the game, but as has been typical...the timing of the Zelda release is awkward.

Couldn't we have gotten it a bit earlier than 6 years after BOTW, even last year. If it was gonna take THIS long, it could have been Switch 2. But Zelda games ALWAYS find their dev cycles out of whack with the hardware situation

Edit: On the other hand maybe this is exactly what we need to correct the imbalance. Now Switch successor can get Zelda at a normal time and come out on the hardware it was actually intended for from inception, with no cross-gen BS.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

The first game was COMPLETELY recoded from scratch in a new architecture on Switch and this is obviously using the same engine (and map, with a lot added and changed).

Whoever thought that was gonna happen was loony. I hope not the same people who thought it looked like BOTW DLC because that's actively contradictory lol

It's apparent BOTW pushed Switch as hard as possible. If you have an issue with BOTW/TotK performance take it with the hardware, not their software performance which is really freaking good for what they have to work with (old ass shit).

Yes, it is remarkable that such a full open world game with do-what-you-want physics and multiple play styles is running on an underclocked 8 year old TX1. Any mid range to high end phone for years has been more powerful. In the end I guess I wish we had more powerful Pro hardware to play it on, that's the way I'd definitely want to go.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
This is going to sound blasphemous but with how much stuff that can be done, how you must build these vehicles and crafts, and how much time is spent in the menus, a PC version with mouse+keyboard would be perfect. I really like what I'm seeing but the game pauses a lot.

Metnut

I really despise crafting systems, so I might hold off on this until reviews.

Will def get this game at some point, I loved BOTW, but the sequel seems to be doubling down on parts that aren’t my favorite. I really enjoy meaningful exploration.

GymWolf

Definitely switching my preorder from ff16 to tiktok, i like the added gadget to fuck around with the physics system, hopefully they are gonna pace these abilities better than the first game where you get all the cool stuff inside the game in the first 5 hours or less.

But i'm seeing the same easy, mono combo combat with dumb enemies that come at you in a straight line with slow ass attacks, they really need to amp the challenge compared to the first game or introduce better enemies.

Any mention of classic dungeons, cool bosses or interesting loot to find around the map?

P.s. the graphic look a bit better to me, slightly more detailed textures and the explosions look better, but maybe it's because i'm watching the previews on a tablet that hide some flaws.

Last edited:

kunonabi

No mentions of dungeons that I've seen. At least we have more copy/paste korok puzzles.

EDIT: Apparently somebody named HMK claims that players stumbled on what appeared to be a dungeon entrance but weren't allowed to enter.

Last edited:
Remember when games released later in a hardware's lifecycle really looked and played like there had been progress in design and programming made during the lifecycle of the hardware? Mgs3, for example.

So far as totk goes, I'm just hoping for good dungeons and good combat. I loved botw, but botw+Garry's mod doesn't interest me too much.

We will see how it goes. Im currently in the schroedingers dlc quantum state.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Yeah it's weird ... I feel like some of the mechanics are almost too much. Like it's all too busy. It's also going to be tough going back to the switch to play this when I've been really enjoying CEMU BOTW at 1440p and graphics mods. It looks SO much better on PC emulation. In the end I'm sure I'll get it for switch, but the anticipation is different. Not as strong.

Marvel14

Banned
Definitely switching my preorder from ff16 to tiktok, i like the added gadget to fuck around with the physics system, hopefully they are gonna pace these abilities better than the first game where you get all the cool stuff inside the game in the first 5 hours or less.

But i'm seeing the same easy, mono combo combat with dumb enemies that come at you in a straight line with slow ass attacks, they really need to amp the challenge compared to the first game or introduce better enemies.

Any mention of classic dungeons, cool bosses or interesting loot to find around the map?

P.s. the graphic look a bit better to me, slightly more detailed textures and the explosions look better, but maybe it's because i'm watching the previews on a tablet that hide some flaws.
You didn't see that enemies can use the fuse mechanic too huh?

GymWolf

You didn't see that enemies can use the fuse mechanic too huh?
Nope, i'm at work so i'm still watching some bits when i can.

How does it work?

Like they create new weapons on the fly to adapt to what link use? That would be great.

I remember seeing like a "mech" battle between 2 big things that looked made up from scratch in the last trailer, is this what they do?

P.s. just tell me what preview it is so i can watch by myself.

Edit: ok i saw it, the robots fuse random stuff on the ground to their weapons, not sure how that help with simple pattern of attack or bad ia tbh.
Maybe there is more to it that i'm missing.

Last edited:

Katajx

Gold Member
This is the stuff I was waiting on. The last trailer and the previews have showed enough that I’m sure that content that will be there is new and interesting and not so much like a small DLC.

Top Bottom