• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom' Previews are coming up

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I guess the Switch isnt more powerful than the Wii U after all. Looks fairly identical to the first game.

The new crafting stuff looks cool, but man if this is replacing traditional zelda dungeons than wow. 6 years spent on this, 6 more on botw. Thats 12 years without a traditional zelda dungeon.

NGL, the fusion system looks cool. One of my biggest complaints with the original was how limited your toolset was during combat. I might actually get this at launch.

I guess the Switch isnt more powerful than the Wii U after all. Looks fairly identical to the first game.

The new crafting stuff looks cool, but man if this is replacing traditional zelda dungeons than wow. 6 years spent on this, 6 more on botw. Thats 12 years without a traditional zelda dungeon.

NGL, the fusion system looks cool. One of my biggest complaints with the original was how limited your toolset was during combat. I might actually get this at launch.

We still don’t know if this has traditional dungeons. It may

Majukun

pre launch preview are usually very "gentle" wuth the game since content creators don't want to lose the chance at future previews, so i wouldn't give these video too much weight

not that i expect the game to be bad or anything

Terenty

I would imagine the gameplay loop they want in this one is to fight enemies in order to get materials that you can then fuse to other stuff.

Getting Keese eyeballs will be very useful since you can make homing arrows from their eyes. So you’re going to want to kill them if you find them.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they’ve added a lot of very useful fuse-traits to the monster parts specifically so that you gain a lot of useful stuff when you kill them.
Yeah, I get it you kill enemies and take their materials to fuse them and make better weapons to...fight more enemies. What's the point again?

I mean we still don't know a lot, but if it's the same as botw where enemies didn't guard and didn't have any useful loot, then why fight them?

Unless they made the mandatory boss fights a real challenge where you need all the powerful weaponry you can get to beat them I fail to see the incentive.

Robb

Gold Member
Yeah, I get it you kill enemies and take their materials to fuse them and make better weapons to...fight more enemies. What's the point again?

I mean we still don't know a lot, but if it's the same as botw where enemies didn't guard and didn't have any useful loot, then why fight them?

Unless they made the mandatory boss fights a real challenge where you need all the powerful weaponry you can get to beat them I fail to see the incentive.
But the loot would be useful in this case.
Homing arrows, for example, will be super useful for hunting, not to mention getting rid of flying enemies that are in your way. Or just hitting moving targets for puzzles etc. etc.

And that’s just the Keese eyeball.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Nope, i'm at work so i'm still watching some bits when i can.

How does it work?

Like they create new weapons on the fly to adapt to what link use? That would be great.

I remember seeing like a "mech" battle between 2 big things that looked made up from scratch in the last trailer, is this what they do?

P.s. just tell me what preview it is so i can watch by myself.

Edit: ok i saw it, the robots fuse random stuff on the ground to their weapons, not sure how that help with simple pattern of attack or bad ia tbh.
Maybe there is more to it that i'm missing.
All still TBD.. only 17 days till we find out! Think it was the Verge one.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

Well, Switch is obviously more powerful, since it ran 720p Wii U games at 1080p without issue.

That said, I have doubts about the Wii U CPU, which was a pile of shit, being able to handle the physics that you're seeing in the game.

Robb

Gold Member
for people that watched the videos, are the old abilities still in?
I didn’t watch, just listened,
but my impression is that they are not. I heard bomb flowers are making a return, which wouldn’t be needed if the bomb-rune was still available.

Last edited:

Emedan

These garbage comments about performance, GTFO. A game with some actual fucking design and creativity - unlike Ubisoft Open World Game #55 and the like, which plagues the industry completely now a days. Also replaying BOTW now being about 20 hours in I haven't even had any performance issues, and the game still look stunning. Since fucking when did games get invalidated unless they had the highest resolution, best AA and amazing FPS? Jesus Christ, thank God for Nintendo, a company who still wants to create great digital entertainment experiences for people, games that aren't only about making a buck.

kunonabi

I think it's mostly addressing the fact that all the weapons outside of a small handful basically worked exactly the same which meant the whole "being forced to change your playstyle because your weapon broke" angle was just a lie. And at least enemies will be dropping resources that can act as potentially interesting weapon modifiers instead of just sidequest/grinding fodder.

This also hopefully means chests won't just be full of weapons you don't have room for but considering the return of the korok seeds and the stupid pachinko machine I'm not so optimistic about that anymore.

Of course, who knows if any of this will matter if you can just deflect and flurry rush everything making everything else pointless like in BotW.

R6Rider

Gold Member
These garbage comments about performance, GTFO. A game with some actual fucking design and creativity - unlike Ubisoft Open World Game #55 and the like, which plagues the industry completely now a days. Also replaying BOTW now being about 20 hours in I haven't even had any performance issues, and the game still look stunning. Since fucking when did games get invalidated unless they had the highest resolution, best AA and amazing FPS? Jesus Christ, thank God for Nintendo, a company who still wants to create great digital entertainment experiences for people, games that aren't only about making a buck.
This whole post has plenty of misinformation in it. Which makes it even funnier.

Raven77

You know, old gaf used to have tons of people making and posting gifs in threads like this. Now we hardly ever get any.

I can't make them myself due to 1. Being a technical idiot who can barely use his smart phone. 2. I'm working constantly during the day with barely any time to even make a short post like this one.

This is my shout out to all the people who used to load threads up with gifs!

daclynk

Joe Rogan Wow GIF by UFC

Its insane THEY did this on a TABLET from 7yrs ago using Tegra X1. Things like this makes me appreciate gameplay, control and sound design more than what the other gaming companys are focusing on.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
You know, old gaf used to have tons of people making and posting gifs in threads like this. Now we hardly ever get any.

I can't make them myself due to 1. Being a technical idiot who can barely use his smart phone. 2. I'm working constantly during the day with barely any time to even make a short post like this one.

A gif I made before:

giphy.gif

I don’t want to watch the previews that’s why I didn’t make any.

Old gaf is now at Resetera where they are more concerned about the proper pronouns used.

Deerock71

I expected with the drop of the crossgen this new game would made use 100% of NS hardware.
Have you seen games that do more on the Switch that look significantly better than this? This is, once again, a game that's going to draw eyeballs to those 125-ish million screens out there, and make other developers take notes.

Fake

Have you seen games that do more on the Switch that look significantly better than this? This is, once again, a game that's going to draw eyeballs to those 125-ish million screens out there, and make other developers take notes.

I talking about perfomance.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
This site primarily only cares about game performance and sales numbers. Pretty sad honestly. I never see game lore discussion on like anything here. 1st party IP's on the Switch when played on the Switch have never had any performance issues. Youtube compression is historically awful unless you have direct feed footage.

The game will be fine and those ragging on it will be supporting the game after launch or simply disappear into the ether.

Madflavor

I have a feeling traditional dungeons won't be in this, probably something more similar to the Divine Beasts in BotW. Don't these games give you all of Link's gadgets right from the beginning, so you can go wild in the Open World right off the bat? How do you build traditional Zelda dungeons around that?

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I have a feeling traditional dungeons won't be in this, probably something more similar to the Divine Beasts in BotW. Don't these games give you all of Link's gadgets right from the beginning, so you can go wild in the Open World right off the bat? How do you build traditional Zelda dungeons around that?
There was a map at the end of the demo they got from a crate. From what we've seen in the trailer, while traditional dungeons might not be there, I do feel like the world itself would be the dungeon.

I also don't get the infatuation with the traditional dungeons. BotW gave you bite size puzzles and I loved it much more than find the map, find a key, find the compass, push a crate, stand on this switch. It was compelling but I think they moved passed that.

Robb

Gold Member
Yeah, whatever they include it definitely won’t be traditional per se.

Although I think a lot of fans, myself included, would be content if they had bigger dungeons with cool gimmicks that expanded the lore, are themed and have unique bosses and some cool rewards.

The divine beast were very boring in BotW. All look identical, all have the same type of boss, all use the same gimmick and all have the same goal. Very copy/paste.

Imagine having a dungeon in this one that makes amazing use of the recall ability and a boss at the end that you have to fight by reversing time in various clever ways. Then another which focus on ascend etc. There’s a lot they can do despite giving us the tools early on imo.

Even in BotW there are shrines that are sectioned with multiple rooms and you have to find a “small key” to move on. All the pieces are there. They just have to put them together in this one.

Last edited:
These previews actually deflated my excitement. They showed and did nothing better then what I was imagining you could do.

Useless preview.

NikuNashi

Yeah, whatever they include it definitely won’t be traditional per se.

Although I think a lot of fans, myself included, would be content if they had bigger dungeons with cool gimmicks that expanded the lore, are themed and have unique bosses and some cool rewards.

The divine beast were very boring in BotW. All look identical, all have the same type of boss, all use the same gimmick and all have the same goal. Very copy/paste.

Imagine having a dungeon in this one that makes amazing use of the recall ability and a boss at the end that you have to fight by reversing time in various clever ways. Then another which focus on ascend etc. There’s a lot they can do despite giving us the tools early on imo.

Even in BotW there are shrines that are sectioned with multiple rooms and you have to find a “small key” to move on. All the pieces are there. They just have to put them together in this one.

Perfectly sums up my thoughs. Heres hoping.

Robb

Gold Member
Seems they are blacklisted by Nintendo, probably because they posted the Metroid Dread emulation

343354488_1426492238164840_2817634987178884030_n.jpg
Oh okay, that’s gotta suck. Seemed strange to write a piece about other outlets experiences, but this certainly explains it.

BlackTron

You had me until the last part.

Madflavor

There was a map at the end of the demo they got from a crate. From what we've seen in the trailer, while traditional dungeons might not be there, I do feel like the world itself would be the dungeon.

I also don't get the infatuation with the traditional dungeons. BotW gave you bite size puzzles and I loved it much more than find the map, find a key, find the compass, push a crate, stand on this switch. It was compelling but I think they moved passed that.

Dungeons have been a staple in Zelda since the beginning. Each dungeon had a theme, distinctive aesthetic and music, fun bosses, and they were fun to navigate and get through.

Top Bottom