• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom | Review Thread

What score do you think The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • 10 -20%

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40-50%

• 50-60%

• 60-70%

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 70-80%

• 80-85%

• 85-90%

Votes: 24 9.1%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 101 38.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 125 47.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mozza

I don't care about the hate I'll get after posting this, but what I have to say must be said and I can't hold this back any longer.

But first things first:

Some (if not all) Nintendo fanboys may ask - Well, why have you played BOTW so much and hate TOTK then? 1) The fact that I've played BOTW for 230+ hours doesn't mean that I've enjoyed playing and loved it during these 230+ 2) I mostly played the game at work to kill time when I had nothing to do 3) I don't hate any game even if I don't like it, cuz I just don't like it, so don't try and use that "hate" word to make me look like a villain here, cuz I am not 4) If you can't destiguish constructive criticism from hate, that's not my problem 5) People don't have to love / like to have the right to criticise if they don't like something you love / like.

Now, with this out of the way...

After playing the game for around 10 hours (230+ hours in BOTW), it's just baffling and stupendous to see all these 1000% biased and glowing 9s and 10s. It's the same exact game, with the same exact mechanics named differently, with the same exact problems and systems that plagued BOTW, with the same exact Korok seeds you need to collect in the same exact manner copy & pasted from BOTW. None of the stupid gimmicks for 8-9 year olds they've added on top of all that changing anything or making the game better, actually quite the opposite - they've made it even worse. All of the Shrines are back again and they're exact same as in BOTW minus new and stupid gimmicks, so none of the complaints about the actual and traditional dungeons was addressed in any way on purpose, they just copy & pasted dungeouns from BOTW, changed how they look, moved and changed things around for new gimmicks and thats it, so there's only 2 variations again - puzzles and combat, none of which are interesting or fun to do, just like in BOTW and rewords for doing them is exact same - HP and Stamina. Rewards for world exploration are just as boring and completely unrewarding, exciting etc. as in BOTW - stupid weapons which won't last long or a bunch of useless items.

And don't even get me started on stupid design and gameplay decisions. So you're walking around at the starting area, but at one point you need to go across a huge pool of water. Much better designed game which respects your time and sanity will offer you a boat, but what Nintendoes (?) - Uhm... well, how about you'll waste your effin' time while building stupid shit just to get across and use our stupid gimmicks and survival / craft elements we added to the game? Same goes for puzzle solving in shrines, environmental explorationg to get to some places and open useless chests with worthless loot, the list goes on. Why can't I simply have water, fire, bomb etc. arrows? Uhm... сuz we want you to use our stupid gimmicks and survival / craft elements. Why can't I use glider indefinitely like on other and better designed games? You guessed it.

What in the hell is in this game to prase and worthy of 9s and 10s, 7s and 8s even? Absolutely nothing imho. Are those floating islands added something meaningful to the game? No, they aren't. Maybe underground chasm? No, it didn't, cuz the rest of the game haven't changed one bit from BOTW and new changes, additions and boring chores made it even worse and much, much less exciting to play. At no point during these ~10 hours I felt like any of the issues I and other unbiased people had with BOTW was addressed at all. You still have to deal with stupid rain, you still need to waste a shit ton of time exploring, grinding and completing boring shrines to make the game less annoying, less of a chore and bore to play at every step you take cuz of stupid stamina system.

You still don't have any, and I mean ANY incentive to fight with groups of enemies in the game cuz you won't get anything meaningful out of it, not when it comes to loot, not when it comes to character progession, not when it comes to anything the game has to offer and it offers nothing interesting for your efforts. You won't fine handcrafted dungeound with interesting puzzles and shit thrown into the mix. You won't find interesting in any way combat encounters, cuz all of them are exact same unless you'll force youself to use stupid gimmicks for the sake of making the game more entertaining - which first and foremost developers must to, not you cuz you've payed for the game to offer you entertainment, not making you create it yourself, like you're some kind of 8 year old kid playing in the sandbox or at home playing with plasticine and making stupid shit.

All of the enemies in the world are just there to be there and occasionaly spice up the monotony, chore and boredom of the rest of the game, just like in BOTW. Oh, in case you missed them, all of the stupid cold and hot wheather systems are back as well, as if there was need for them in a Zelda game. Not even fast travel (which is thankfully available almost at the start of the game) fixing any issues this game has, which were meticulously copy & pasted from BOTW. It just buggles my mind that instead of making a more traditional and linear Zelda game similar to say best 2D ones but in 3D, they've opted for much less exciting chore and bore of a game twice already and.,.. why in the world it took them 6 goddamn years to do it? What is there in the game that justifies such a long development time with so little effort to make the game better all while not addressing numerous issues people had with BOTW? It's just BOTW 1.5 with few new gimmicks, floating islands and underground chasm. I can't for the life of me call TOTK a sequel cuz it's 100% not doing what sequels should do - improve what was in the first game, fix issues and problems people had and make the second game way better.

Bias towards Nintendo (and Zelda) in gaming "ass licking journalism" is seriously getting out of hand with constant and completely unjustified prase for games that absolutely not worth it and not worth the scores they were given. It just goes to show that any professionalism and fair unbiased assessment of all of the aspects of said games are not even a thing when it comes to Nintendo and Zelda games in particular. Imho, 100% biased people who's giving Zelda (and frankly Nintendo games as a whole) games 9s and 10s must not be given review codes and must not work in gaming press, cuz their 100% biased scores and opinions do not reflect the reality and absolutely not indicative of quality of Nintendo's games and products, in comparison to the rest of the industry. Yes, pretty much all reviews are subjective, but when it comes to Nintendo they are 100% biased to ward the company and their games, hense you can only find 100% unbiased opinions and criticism only on Youtube or when someone like me will decide to say how things really are. The same can be said about any other company and its products with similar 100% bias, so it's not just Nintendo.

People must have access to 100% unbiased opinions, but instead what we have now is anything but that when it comes to Nintendo. Moreover, all those biased 9/10, 10/10, OMG GOTY! oppinions worth absolutely nothing in the first place, cuz all of them get devalued as soon as Nintendo people will have access to the new one game cuz Nintendo knows that they will always give them nothing but constant prase and zero criticism, cuz it is the only way to get games for free and far early than everyone else. It saddens me to no end that to get actual reviews worth watching / reading, you have to go to Youtube or websites like GFINITY, which has the one and only TOTK review worth reading.

And with that, I've no intention to argue with anyone cuz I know that I won't get meaningful and 100% unbiased discussion when it comes to Nintendo here. I've said what I wanted to say about TOTK and that's the end of it. If you like it, more power to ya, but I will always say how it is cuz that's the kind of man I am and always were with 0 bias towards any company etc.
Always a bit skeptical when a comment starts off with, I played BOTW for 230 hours, but not because I enjoyed it, just to kill time..... Any slight credibility had just paraglided right out of the window right there. As for having a reasonable and sensible debate, you have to at least meet people on here half way, and start talking a little sense in your comment. ;)

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
I don't care about the hate I'll get after posting this, but what I have to say must be said and I can't hold this back any longer.

But first things first:

Some (if not all) Nintendo fanboys may ask - Well, why have you played BOTW
Who wants to read all that nonsense from someone who has to call people fanboys for liking a brand. Glad you had more fun typing something only you would read

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member

But first things first:

Some (if not all) Nintendo fanboys may ask - Well, why have you played BOTW so much and hate TOTK then? 1) The fact that I've played BOTW for 230+ hours doesn't mean that I've enjoyed playing and loved it during these 230+ 2) I mostly played the game at work to kill time when I had nothing to do 3) I don't hate any game even if I don't like it, cuz I just don't like it, so don't try and use that "hate" word to make me look like a villain here, cuz I am not 4) If you can't destiguish constructive criticism from hate, that's not my problem 5) People don't have to love / like to have the right to criticise if they don't like something you love / like.

After playing the game for around 10 hours (230+ hours in BOTW), it's just baffling and stupendous to see all these 1000% biased and glowing 9s and 10s. It's the same exact game, with the same exact mechanics named differently, with the same exact problems and systems that plagued BOTW, with the same exact Korok seeds you need to collect in the same exact manner copy & pasted from BOTW. None of the stupid gimmicks for 8-9 year olds they've added on top of all that changing anything or making the game better, actually quite the opposite - they've made it even worse. All of the Shrines are back again and they're exact same as in BOTW minus new and stupid gimmicks, so none of the complaints about the actual and traditional dungeons was addressed in any way on purpose, they just copy & pasted dungeouns from BOTW, changed how they look, moved and changed things around for new gimmicks and thats it, so there's only 2 variations again - puzzles and combat, none of which are interesting or fun to do, just like in BOTW and rewords for doing them is exact same - HP and Stamina. Rewards for world exploration are just as boring and completely unrewarding, exciting etc. as in BOTW - stupid weapons which won't last long or a bunch of useless items.

And don't even get me started on stupid design and gameplay decisions. So you're walking around at the starting area, but at one point you need to go across a huge pool of water. Much better designed game which respects your time and sanity will offer you a boat, but what Nintendoes (?) - Uhm... well, how about you'll waste your effin' time while building stupid shit just to get across and use our stupid gimmicks and survival / craft elements we added to the game? Same goes for puzzle solving in shrines, environmental explorationg to get to some places and open useless chests with worthless loot, the list goes on. Why can't I simply have water, fire, bomb etc. arrows? Uhm... сuz we want you to use our stupid gimmicks and survival / craft elements. Why can't I use glider indefinitely like on other and better designed games? You guessed it.

What in the hell is in this game to prase and worthy of 9s and 10s, 7s and 8s even? Absolutely nothing imho. Are those floating islands added something meaningful to the game? No, they aren't. Maybe underground chasm? No, it didn't, cuz the rest of the game haven't changed one bit from BOTW and new changes, additions and boring chores made it even worse and much, much less exciting to play. At no point during these ~10 hours I felt like any of the issues I and other unbiased people had with BOTW was addressed at all. You still have to deal with stupid rain, you still need to waste a shit ton of time exploring, grinding and completing boring shrines to make the game less annoying, less of a chore and bore to play at every step you take cuz of stupid stamina system.

You still don't have any, and I mean ANY incentive to fight with groups of enemies in the game cuz you won't get anything meaningful out of it, not when it comes to loot, not when it comes to character progession, not when it comes to anything the game has to offer and it offers nothing interesting for your efforts. You won't fine handcrafted dungeound with interesting puzzles and shit thrown into the mix. You won't find interesting in any way combat encounters, cuz all of them are exact same unless you'll force youself to use stupid gimmicks for the sake of making the game more entertaining - which first and foremost developers must to, not you cuz you've payed for the game to offer you entertainment, not making you create it yourself, like you're some kind of 8 year old kid playing in the sandbox or at home playing with plasticine and making stupid shit.

All of the enemies in the world are just there to be there and occasionaly spice up the monotony, chore and boredom of the rest of the game, just like in BOTW. Oh, in case you missed them, all of the stupid cold and hot wheather systems are back as well, as if there was need for them in a Zelda game. Not even fast travel (which is thankfully available almost at the start of the game) fixing any issues this game has, which were meticulously copy & pasted from BOTW. It just buggles my mind that instead of making a more traditional and linear Zelda game similar to say best 2D ones but in 3D, they've opted for much less exciting chore and bore of a game twice already and.,.. why in the world it took them 6 goddamn years to do it? What is there in the game that justifies such a long development time with so little effort to make the game better all while not addressing numerous issues people had with BOTW? It's just BOTW 1.5 with few new gimmicks, floating islands and underground chasm. I can't for the life of me call TOTK a sequel cuz it's 100% not doing what sequels should do - improve what was in the first game, fix issues and problems people had and make the second game way better.

Bias towards Nintendo (and Zelda) in gaming "ass licking journalism" is seriously getting out of hand with constant and completely unjustified prase for games that absolutely not worth it and not worth the scores they were given. It just goes to show that any professionalism and fair unbiased assessment of all of the aspects of said games are not even a thing when it comes to Nintendo and Zelda games in particular. Imho, 100% biased people who's giving Zelda (and frankly Nintendo games as a whole) games 9s and 10s must not be given review codes and must not work in gaming press, cuz their 100% biased scores and opinions do not reflect the reality and absolutely not indicative of quality of Nintendo's games and products, in comparison to the rest of the industry. Yes, pretty much all reviews are subjective, but when it comes to Nintendo they are 100% biased to ward the company and their games, hense you can only find 100% unbiased opinions and criticism only on Youtube or when someone like me will decide to say how things really are. The same can be said about any other company and its products with similar 100% bias, so it's not just Nintendo.

People must have access to 100% unbiased opinions, but instead what we have now is anything but that when it comes to Nintendo. Moreover, all those biased 9/10, 10/10, OMG GOTY! oppinions worth absolutely nothing in the first place, cuz all of them get devalued as soon as Nintendo people will have access to the new one game cuz Nintendo knows that they will always give them nothing but constant prase and zero criticism, cuz it is the only way to get games for free and far early than everyone else. It saddens me to no end that to get actual reviews worth watching / reading, you have to go to Youtube or websites like GFINITY, which has the one and only TOTK review worth reading.

And with that, I've no intention to argue with anyone cuz I know that I won't get meaningful and 100% unbiased discussion when it comes to Nintendo here. I've said what I wanted to say about TOTK and that's the end of it. If you like it, more power to ya, but I will always say how it is cuz that's the kind of man I am and always were with 0 bias towards any company etc.
Turns out...we were the Tears all along..

Holy fuck this is the comfiest game ever made. Every square inch of the map is thoughtfully designed and worth exploring. I can play for 30 min and knock out a shrine and a korok seed, or play for several hours straight when I get some free time at night. I don't know how Nintendo will top this, it's their magnum opus.

Also it took me ~250 hours to get 100% in BotW Master Mode and all DLC, so is this a 500 hour game? IS THIS A 600 HOUR GAME BROS?

But first things first:

imagine typing a 5000 word salt thesis just to say YOU MAD

UQTF6R1.gif

decisions

Played it for 3 hours and thought it was abysmal. How in the world did this game score so high?

I thought the choices for the intro were extremely weird. Why does this game have these strange, half-baked cutscenes? They should either go with a minimalist approach that never takes control from
the player or put effort into the cinematic aspect of their games. This middle-ground is simply bad.

SMO’s graphics, Metroid Prime Remaster’s graphics, are outdated sure but still polished and nice-looking. This is another level of absolute graphical depravity in 2023. The game performs awfully in its framerate and it looks even worse as everything constantly shimmers in front of you.

I hate the feeling of being dropped in large, open environments, where I’m encouraged to explore but have slow movement speed.

Melee combat is simply awful. I never make it far in games with unsatisfying combat.

I’m disappointed I bought into the hype with this but with such a high score I thought it was safe. Never played BOTW.

If you emulate on PC can you get 60fps yet? Else I will probably just drop it.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
Played it for 3 hours and thought it was abysmal. How in the world did this game score so high?

I thought the choices for the intro were extremely weird. Why does this game have these strange, half-baked cutscenes? They should either go with a minimalist approach that never takes control from
the player or put effort into the cinematic aspect of their games. This middle-ground is simply bad.

SMO’s graphics, Metroid Prime Remaster’s graphics, are outdated sure but still polished and nice-looking. This is another level of absolute graphical depravity in 2023. The game performs awfully in its framerate and it looks even worse as everything constantly shimmers in front of you.

I hate the feeling of being dropped in large, open environments, where I’m encouraged to explore but have slow movement speed.

Melee combat is simply awful. I never make it far in games with unsatisfying combat.

I’m disappointed I bought into the hype with this but with such a high score I thought it was safe. Never played BOTW.

Bruh. Usually I'd say to each their own, but...

You bought and started playing a type of game you said you don't like. And it aounds like you're doing the combat as simply as possible.

And if you think this looks bad, the you shoud've gone to SpecSavers.

Mozza

Soooooooooooooooo much salt it's unreal, but like you say, you did play it for a whole three hours. ;)

decisions

Bruh. Usually I'd say to each their own, but...

You bought and started playing a type of game you said you don't like. And it aounds like you're doing the combat as simply as possible.

And if you think this looks bad, the you shoud've gone to SpecSavers.

What “type” of game is that? All of the ways I criticized TOTK were subjective and had nothing to do with genre.

I had a great time with Elden Ring (open-world focused on exploration) and other Nintendo games on the Switch that I mentioned. I also loved RDR2 which is another open-world game many describe as “slow”, but I would argue that game does not share the same issues as am I currently having with TOTK.

Last edited:

Vyse

Gold Member
Started it up. Remapped A and B buttons on pro controller. Played with the settings on my oled. Absolutely loving it!

Tams

Gold Member
What “type” of game is that? All of the ways I criticized TOTK were subjective and had nothing to do with genre.

I had a great time with Elden Ring (open-world focused on exploration) and other Nintendo games on the Switch that I mentioned. I also loved RDR2 which is another open-world game many describe as “slow”, but I would argue that game does not share the same issues as am I currently having with TOTK.

Made it purple, just in case you're colour blind, bruh.

93xfan

Banned
Really loving it so far. It feels exceptional and just a lot of fun. With just this, Metroid Prime Remastered, Mario Kart DLC and possibly DLC for this game 2023 already is a very fine year for me as a Switch owner.

Hero_Select

I also loved RDR2 which is another open-world game many describe as “slow”, but I would argue that game does not share the same issues as am I currently having with TOTK.
The slowest game ever designed where you open a drawer and sit through 5 seconds of looting animations each time with awful shooting and archaic 2003 mission design that doesnt let you stray too far from the path.

Just don't play TotK. I love how everyone feels the need to come into the thread to go "Well I dont like this game I cant fathom why its getting all these good scores"

Clearly the game isnt for you, go play something else.

decisions

Made it purple, just in case you're colour blind, bruh.
I know you want that to be a really awesome gotcha post, but that doesn’t describe a “type” of game. That is a single, specific design flaw at odds with itself that I’m calling out. How would I know beforehand that the game would have boring exploration with maps too big for its mechanics? I had to play it to come to those subjective conclusions.

I’d say a more legitimate way of describing TOTK’s type is to say TOTK is an open-world game with sandbox elements. I like this type of game (MGSV, Elden Ring were games I enjoyed for instance).

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Guys, it's not to create controversy or be negative... But is it me, or Have you felt heavy going back to Hyrule after BOTW?

Has anyone felt the same?

I'm going to spend a little more time.

Last edited:

Mozza

Guys, it's not to create controversy or be negative... But is it me, or Have you felt heavy going back to Hyrule after BOTW?

I am finding it very hard to leave the initial sky islands, and have only just done the second shrine. Which is very surprising as I did not think much of them on the initial game reveal, Now I am totally enchanted with them, and obsessed with exploring them.

I do know at some point I must return to Hyrule, but that prospect only fills me with more wonder on how things have changed down there. :)

Honestly, I never explored that much in BotW (although I did get all shrines in the end) and haven't played the game in years so I don't remember much of the overworld; everything on the surface is probably going to feel almost completely new to me.

Scotty W

Gold Member

But first things first:

Democracy was a mistake.

Tams

Gold Member
I know you want that to be a really awesome gotcha post, but that doesn’t describe a “type” of game. That is a single, specific design flaw at odds with itself that I’m calling out. How would I know beforehand that the game would have boring exploration with maps too big for its mechanics? I had to play it to come to those subjective conclusions.

I’d say a more legitimate way of describing TOTK’s type is to say TOTK is an open-world game with sandbox elements. I like this type of game (MGSV, Elden Ring were games I enjoyed for instance).

The issue is that you choose to play a genre of game you don't like.

There's nothing more to it.

cireza

Banned

But first things first:

I understand that some people are not going to like what you just wrote, but overall it was useful for me to know what to expect, knowing that I came from BotW with pretty much the exact same impressions.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I am finding it very hard to leave the initial sky islands, and have only just done the second shrine. Which is very surprising as I did not think much of them on the initial game reveal, Now I am totally enchanted with them, and obsessed with exploring them.

I do know at some point I must return to Hyrule, but that prospect only fills me with more wonder on how things have changed down there. :)

I only just hit Hyrule after several hours on Great Sky Isle (like, long enough to complete some other short games) having scoured every island. And I still haven’t beaten the open world boss.

Hitting Hyrule and heading for high ground for a look about… and seeing how much is out there just in my immediate vicinity made me dizzy. BotW took me 70 plus hours. This is blowing right past that, possibly doubling the time.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Just finished! ...the tutorial.

The optional construct fight was fun and I forgot how challenging the snow sections can be without warm weather clothes.
They should have made realistic morby obese Link for the scenes. He's eating to maintain stamina in the cold or...putting on walrus blubber? It's open world too, not like if he gained the weight he couldn't lose it all later on.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
Oh well, even though I was not hyped by any preview, I still caved and bought it. I don't remember much very BOTW. Since this is a direct sequel, is it necessary to do so? I know it usually isn't in this series, but direct sequels are also uncommon.

Marvel14

Banned

But first things first:

Soodanim Soodanim

Q.E. fuckin D.

Post in thread 'The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |OT|' https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-ot.1656485/post-267940097

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

Hilarious all those sonyfans posting fake impressions roasting the game, trying to diminish it. Keep trying.

I would wager that a great deal of PlayStation fans have a Switch as their secondary console. Hell that’s probably true of Xbox and PC fans as well. It’s probably most peoples 2nd gaming device here on this forum. As a Sony fan myself (and Xbox) this will probably be my GOTY.

Soodanim

Gold Member
That kid appears to be unhinged, and based on his BOTW play time will probably play a good 300 hours of TOTK. The only thing that post is good for is involuntary entry to some sort of asylum. It's dismissible as the long form YouTube comment it is at heart, but at the same time you could probably write entire essays analysing those ramblings. I don't even think he's being contrarian. If you saw him on the street, it wouldn't be a case of him saying things for a reaction. I think you'd have to cross the street to avoid him because you know he's going to approach a bus to headbutt the window and there's nothing you can do to stop it so you just keep moving. That isn't a review, it's the ravings of a madman. I firmly believe all of that is his way of saying 8.5/10 and he's just mad that people scored it 0.5 higher than he did.

Fools idol

Banned
Just played in docked mode on the TV for the first tiem and ugh......

I am absolutely loving the game (portable) but this looks like shit when you see it on the big screen. Image quality is atrocious, frames drops way more apparent etc. I mean I know it's running on ancient hardware at this point so I can't really complain, and it's still a monumental achievement to even be running like it is at all but man.. you can't help but wish this was playable on a far more powerful system in glorious 4k / 60 fps. It would be the dream.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Love how any modern game anounces it will be 30 fps gets shit one but since this is Zelda and DF said its "almost" perfect 30fps....we are just going to ignore that.

I do question why Nintendo is "allowed" to sell a non-steady 30fps game and it's perfectly fine, but some act as if MS and Sony can't do that anymore.

I do question why Nintendo is "allowed" to sell a non-steady 30fps game and it's perfectly fine, but some act as if MS and Sony can't do that anymore.
Let's be honest, most journalists are pussies and can't stand the kind of pressure Nintendo diehards throw their way if they criticize Nintendo games. You see what they did to Jim Sterling. He gave BOTW a good score (7), but because it was below a 9, they attacked him so much he had to turn trans to become a protected class.

Last edited:

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

It's just not for you, mate.

But first things first:

I mean, you’re welcome to your opinion, but the idea that the rest of us are biased towards Nintendo is a huge load of bullshit. The game is as close to a 10 as I’ve seen since Elden Ring. These are once in a generation games, and it’s getting high scores because its onr of the best and most interesting games in the space.

Like, most of the things you whined about aren’t a big deal at all.

Also, the items monsters drop are incredibly important for fusing weapons, shields, abd arrows, so I question how much you actually played when you say they drop useless items?

Interfectum

It's easy to blame the entirety of game's press and the tens of millions of blind fanboys saying somehow there is a secret pact to all be bias.

But in reality... most Sony and MS games heavily rely on graphics to sell their games. They sold their system on high end graphics, they've set expectations for high end graphics. Horizon, God of War, etc absolutely need to have top of the line graphics to survive. If Horizon: Burning Shores looked like a Switch game, what would it have to prop it up?

Nintendo makes evergreen toys that focus almost completely on mechanics. Zelda just needs to look good enough to let you enjoy those mechanics.

Top Bottom