• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition: PS5 vs Xbox Series X - Image Quality + Performance Tests

tommib

Even then, they are usually so close to each other that the difference in practical application becomes almost mute. I find it funny that fanboys, after years of accepting sub-1080p/30fps games and hollering from the top of the mountain how AMAZING whatever game is, are arguing over percentage points of resolution and framerate. At this point when we are so much further down the spectrum in performance and resolution that to try and make some definitive judgement one way or the other becomes hilarious.

As primarily a PC gamer that's been playing at 1440p+ resolutions and 144hz for literally 8+ years and playing off of SSD's even longer than that and being completely dismissed in the past as just superfluous fluff, find it hilarious to see these arguments now. It's never important until your side can do it and in these instances the differences are so damn small that the arguments are literally over percentage points of such insignificance that it's comical. I love it guys. Never, EVER change.
You can blame Digital Foundry for that.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Which plastic box won?

No one ever truly wins these.

I am surprised to see these new consoles dropping to 1080p and in the case of ps5 below that in 2021 and the first year of these consoles life cycles. I think a pro console is inevitable in 2 to 3 years if we want groundbreaking games with raytracing this generation. Below 1080p sucks. :/

Hopefully tools improve for both and they can drag more out of these boxes going forward.

Markio128

I am surprised to see these new consoles dropping to 1080p and in the case of ps5 below that in 2021 and the first year of these consoles life cycles. I think a pro console is inevitable in 2 to 3 years if we want groundbreaking games with raytracing this generation. Below 1080p sucks. :/

Hopefully tools improve for both and they can drag more out of these boxes going forward.
Metro Exodus was not designed for next-gen consoles and these new upgrades are just improvements on the last gen versions. This is evident in the loading times, for instance. I have absolutely no doubt that if the game had been developed solely for next gen consoles, it would boast higher frames and resolution. This thread is just the usual pissing contest, where common sense and impartiality are lost in the ether. Where there used to be glass houses, shards sparkle in the embers. And all that shit hahaha.

Metro Exodus was not designed for next-gen consoles and these new upgrades are just improvements on the last gen versions. This is evident in the loading times, for instance. I have absolutely no doubt that if the game had been developed solely for next gen consoles, it would boast higher frames and resolution. This thread is just the usual pissing contest, where common sense and impartiality are lost in the ether. Where there used to be glass houses, shards sparkle in the embers. And all that shit hahaha.
Yeah it's more just rtGI is too heavy for AMD GPUs right now. 6700xt doesn't come close to keeping 60fps at 1440p, and it's a faster GPU than either of the consoles.

assurdum

Banned
here we go. I take the scenario where ps5 should show more drammatic difference in resolution:
metro-ps5-2.png

metro-series-x.png

I have even zoomed 4x to it I'll tried my best to have a like per like scene there, because there aren't in the video, it's really tough to spot any difference in clarity.🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Not a fan of the PS5's darker look in DF's video, I remember I struggled to find optimal settings in RE8 for the game to be cool looking and easy to navigate at the same time. I definitely prefer the Xbox's level of blacks from the comparisons. Maybe there's a chance they'll patch it or at least give a chance to pick between the modes?

Last edited:

FireFly

No. This is the perfect case which show the CUs advantage on series X. And considered the difference in CUs it's pretty impressive to see ps5 stay so close with more stable FPS considered the "lowered" 36 CUs setup Vs the bigger one at 52 CUs. It's practically the same graphic setting just lower resolution via DRS. Not bad for a 399 console. Just look what you have sacrificed at 299. The ps5 DE has really an outstanding value in terms of performance.
The PS5's CUs are clocked higher, so in reality the XSX has an 18% compute advantage only.

Shmunter

Literally the worst argument in this thread. VRR should have been part of the PS5 offering from day one. 6 months later and we haven't heard a peep from Sony about it, alongside other features that they advertise on the damn box it comes in.
Truth is, so far PS5 performance hasn’t warranted VRR to wallpaper over the cracks.

VRR should be an exception, not the rule. But that’s ok if you prefer it the other way around, it’s a free world.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
The only thing clear there is that bouncy green line and that solid blue one.
The things is probably series X has an evident res advantage (maybe apparent ) when nothing happens on the screen. During the action sequences the resolution probably seems very close to me. As RE8 was more stable in the same situation. I mean is it that important have higher resolution when nothing happens? For Alex seems it was very important pointed out and we see how much time spend to talk about it. Meanwhile he has no time to stress the game (wut it's his job, didn't wasted tons of times to release AC Valhalla?) Eh.

Last edited:

Markio128

The things is probably series X has a clear res advantage (maybe) when nothing happens on the screen. During the shoot sequence the resolution probably is very close. As RE8 was more stable in the same situation. I mean is it that important have higher resolution when nothing happens? For Alex seems it was very important pointed out and we see how much time spend to talk about it. Meanwhile he has the time to stress the game but it's his job, didn't wasted tons of times to release AC Valhalla? Eh.
Both versions are up scaled to 4K, but you might see a softer imagine on occasion playing on PS5, but does it really matter? The examples shown were barely noticeable in screen captures, so would not be an issue during gameplay, for me at least.

assurdum

Banned
Both versions are up scaled to 4K, but you might see a softer imagine on occasion playing on PS5, but does it really matter? The examples shown were barely noticeable in screen captures, so would not be an issue during gameplay, for me at least.
Until it's softer and not blurried. By the way it wasn't my point. I just found ridiculous all that talk about such noticeable difference when it's far from noticeable.

Markio128

Until it's softer and not blurried. By the way it wasn't my point. I just found ridiculous all that talk about such noticeable difference when it's far from noticeable.
The guy is passionate about resolution and the smallest differences are like gold dust to him. I don’t let it bother me tbh. It’s his job at the end of the day and he has the ability to zoom and asses the differences, which we don’t and probably would never notice without his input.

Topher

Gold Member
2021 the first gen when we hear that higher res isn't good*

* just because PS5 cant reach higher

DF themselves have repeatedly said these higher resolutions are not significant and question the need for all this pixel counting entirely. Fact is you need this analysis to tell you which has higher rez. At that point, it is just a scoreboard in the console war and there is no in-game significance to these resolutions variances.

It Is What It Is Nbc GIF by SVU

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Ray tracing is insanely expensive and this game's lightning engine is all RT based.

Zathalus

here we go. I take the scenario where ps5 should show more drammatic difference in resolution:
metro-ps5-2.png

metro-series-x.png

I have even zoomed 4x to it I'll tried my best to have a like per like scene there, because there aren't in the video, it's really tough to spot any difference in clarity.🤷‍♀️
The difference in gamma and further distance of objects in the background do not make this easy (as generally you would far off fine detail to spot differences, such as grating or a tree branch). But I spotted that the nearby yellow piping over the woman's shoulder is more aliased on PS5 and the rear of the gun (the silver part) is resolving more detail on the XSX. Back of the woman is also more aliased on PS5, and far off barrels are a touch sharper on XSX.

It's what you would expect from 25% difference in resolution, a slighty softer image overall for PS5. Some areas would be more obvious then others.

I mean, this is not a controversial statement to make. Higher resolution = sharper image. That does not mean the XSX version is going to look massively better, just a bit sharper.

Md Ray

Nope. They care only about perf and PS5 has smoother performance out of the two, unlike XSX with significant stutter.

So PS5 should provide better experience in this game on a non-VRR and non-120Hz display than SX. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Yes or no?
Still waiting for your reply. Riky Riky

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Truth is, so far PS5 performance hasn’t warranted VRR to wallpaper over the cracks.

VRR should be an exception, not the rule. But that’s ok if you prefer it the other way around, it’s a free world.
True but i like vrr because devs are giving away too much trying to hit a solid 60 fps. Some games are going down to 1080p even though they target 1440p. I am a big boy i can handle a drop or two down to 58 or even 55 every now and then. It's really not a big deal. No game is perfect but now insomniacs, the hitman devs, and 4A games are so afraid of a single drop or two they end up producing a worse image just to avoid showing up on DF.

So if vrr helps dev keep the lower bound resolution higher I'm all for it. Xbox series x drops frames despite hitting 1080p which means the lower bound isn't enough and needs to go down to 1015p like playstation but thanks to vrs, devs didn't feel the need to do that.

Shmunter

True but i like vrr because devs are giving away too much trying to hit a solid 60 fps. Some games are going down to 1080p even though they target 1440p. I am a big boy i can handle a drop or two down to 58 or even 55 every now and then. It's really not a big deal. No game is perfect but now insomniacs, the hitman devs, and 4A games are so afraid of a single drop or two they end up producing a worse image just to avoid showing up on DF.

So if vrr helps dev keep the lower bound resolution higher I'm all for it. Xbox series x drops frames despite hitting 1080p which means the lower bound isn't enough and needs to go down to 1015p like playstation but thanks to vrs, devs didn't feel the need to do that.
VRR has its place over 60 imho because locking to 120 is difficult for this gen.

But I cannot agree devs should be compromising on a minimum performance spec in exchange for secondary factors.

Not everybody has VRR, and even so there are many issues with the tech on consumer displays that will never be admitted to on this forum but are freely discussed in AV circles. Not going to go there tho.

Last edited:
No. This is the perfect case which show the CUs advantage on series X. And considered the difference in CUs it's pretty impressive to see ps5 stay so close with more stable FPS considered the "lowered" 36 CUs setup Vs the bigger one at 52 CUs. It's practically the same graphic setting just lower resolution via DRS. Not bad for a 399 console. Just look what you have sacrificed at 299. The ps5 DE has really an outstanding value in terms of performance.

That's exactly what I said!

Kuranghi

Is it just me or can you guys see the left/dark image in the gamma correction all the time?
They say they cannot see it even if they put it on max brightness but on my phone I see it all the time
I can't see it on max brightness and they were speaking from a perspective of from the TV they observed the games from I think.

Yeah I think its an issue on their end, I paused the video when he had the slider at the default (the middle), made sure my TV was at a reasonable backlight level, closed my curtains and turned off the lights. There was still a some light coming in around the curtains so its not pitch black but with those conditions I could juuust barely perceive the left triangle when head-on to the TV.

So in the proper dark at night I'm sure it'd be perfect. I think John uses an LG OLED to do his checks sometimes and if the game crushes blacks a tiny bit (that wouldn't be noticeable on a properly setup VA or IPS LCD due to them not being able to show the true brightness usually and they elevate it slightly) it can look really bad on an OLED thats set up to be really contrasty.

I was speaking to a guy in the youtube comments and he said he couldn't see it on his IPS monitor or OLED TV no matter his settings but then he checked on an IPS TV and he could see it so I think its a signal mismatch or something. LG OLEDs had the weird thing with the limited vs. full RGB range not being picked up by the Auto setting in the TV when used alongside the PS5's Auto setting.

TBH I'm completely unclear if this is in SDR or HDR, since John's wording is a bit confusing.

What display do you have E elliot5 ?

elliot5

Yeah I think its an issue on their end, I paused the video when he had the slider at the default (the middle), made sure my TV was at a reasonable backlight level, closed my curtains and turned off the lights. There was still a some light coming in around the curtains so its not pitch black but with those conditions I could juuust barely perceive the left triangle when head-on to the TV.

So in the proper dark at night I'm sure it'd be perfect. I think John uses an LG OLED to do his checks sometimes and if the game crushes blacks a tiny bit (that wouldn't be noticeable on a properly setup VA or IPS LCD due to them not being able to show the true brightness usually and they elevate it slightly) it can look really bad on an OLED thats set up to be really contrasty.

I was speaking to a guy in the youtube comments and he said he couldn't see it on his IPS monitor or OLED TV no matter his settings but then he checked on an IPS TV and he could see it so I think its a signal mismatch or something. LG OLEDs had the weird thing with the limited vs. full RGB range not being picked up by the Auto setting in the TV when used alongside the PS5's Auto setting.

TBH I'm completely unclear if this is in SDR or HDR, since John's wording is a bit confusing.

What display do you have E elliot5 ?
I have an x900e but I was watching on my Pixel 4a 5G. I don't have Metro so I can't compare on my own, but I know he's got an LG OLED which is prob why the peak brightness wasn't pulling through

tommib

My technical analysis after 90 minutes of this on PS5 is that the game sucks:

Constantly taking control away from you.
Terrible voice acting and dialog.
Models and textures looked worse than Killzone 2.
Hold square to climb.
Hold square to open.
Hold square to wipe your mask because there’s nothing cooler than wiping a mask.
Brainless monster A.I.

I see all of you fighting, but it seems that it’s a fight for nothing.

Again it's not 30% all the time. Just depends of the scenario. Still this argumentation about higher resolution via DRS it's really childish. Can you post a screen from the DF where the series X is noticeable sharper? It's tiring read this discussion based just to a math percentage. Just show that dramatic difference at least
You can see a big difference, in fact a 30% difference. Here is a tip, don't use youtube due to compression issues.

Also, remember when PS fanboys made fun of xbox for not hitting 1080p on xbox one. Now we are in a new generation and PS5 seems to be having a hard time hitting it.

Last edited:
You can see a big difference, in fact a 30% difference. Here is a tip, don't use youtube due to compression issues.

Also, remember when PS fanboys made fun of xbox for not hitting 1080p on xbox one. Now we are in a new generation and PS5 seems to be having a hard time hitting it.

Even then Im not seeing this huge difference.

Should I pause and zoom in?

That's the only thing I haven't done.

Edit: Looking at it on my 4K monitor btw.

Edit 2: What size screen do I need to spot a huge difference?

Now we are in a new generation and PS5 seems to be having a hard time hitting it.

1080P?

Nah the PS5 doesn't have an issue with that.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned

A big difference he said 😂 You have really no shame. And you talk as series X has an advantage in resolution on ps5 as PS4 on Xbox one. Who is the fanboy there?

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Even then Im not seeing this huge difference.

Should I pause and zoom in?

That's the only thing I haven't done.
I did it. It's really hard to spot a dramatic difference. Maybe more aliasing in some edge? But neither series X is free of it. The thing is God Lord of analysis Dictator should at least provide some sequence side by side where such noticeable difference was evident but nope, he barely make a shot where you to have to look at the texture grid in some spots to notice it. Just tell you how hard is it to notice with the normal eyes catch. Still I'm waiting impatiently NXgamer and VGtech statistics.

Last edited:
Top Bottom