• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition: PS5 vs Xbox Series X - Image Quality + Performance Tests

Stuart360

Smh so you have dyslexia but talk to people the way you do? There is no excuse for that. You need to mature up, dyslexia isn't an excuse to attempt to troll people just because you disagree.

Understand that it is ok to disagree...that's how the best conversations and learning experiences are had....but when you spit insults because you disagree, it's really immature and most people just cringe at it.
Er i was responding to your 'grammar policing' of my posts, whihc in itself is never a good look when having a discussion, as you put it.
I stand by what i said, your vids come accross as fanboy drivel, the kind that infested the Nex Gen Speculation thread on here, before it was finally locked.

Kingthrash

Er i was responding to your 'grammar policing' of my posts, whihc in itself is never a good look when having a discussion, as you put it.
I stand by what i said, your vids come accross as fanboy drivel, the kind that infested the Nex Gen Speculation thread on here, before it was finally locked.
Where was the "fanboy drivel" though?

Can you timestamp it or quote any fanboy part in my video?

Gediminas

Banned
Naw I got a whole youtube account based on the facts. You just too insecure to see it. Lol I didn't even bash the xbox...even said the both look equal....there is just something wrong with capturing video with it. Even provided proof....you got proof stating otherwise or are you just gunna sit here crying over the facts?

if you look at this HDR, Dolby Vision, DTM analysis you can clearly see that Kingthrash delivers facts again. it is clear that DF making staff up to bash PS5, in the eyes of the mods and xbox fanboys, it should not be allowed to bash xbox, but somehow the DF gets free pass to do it for PS5, i wonder why?

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

if you look at this HDR, Dolby Vision, DTM analysis you can clearly see that Kingthrash delivers facts again. it is clear that DF making staff up to bash PS5, in the eyes of the mods and xbox fanboys, it should not be allowed to bash xbox, but somehow the DF gets free pass to do it on PS5, i wonder why?

Word :messenger_tears_of_joy: (y) Wow that video.. I can't believe it.

Last edited:

Connxtion

Not sure why in the video his is blown out?
I have the LG CX with 120FPS/4K and everything else related to having the best experience.

Took a
BSeLaYs.jpg
pic with my phone, not the best but with the gamma set to default this is what I get. So don’t know what settings he has, I do know he uses black line insertion so that will disable any game mode stuff 🤷‍♂️and VRR. But unless he’s bumped the gamma or brightness up on his TV it doesn’t look like it does in the video.

elliot5

Kingthrash Kingthrash why are you beefing with everyone on here, but didn't feel the need to comment to me (prob the only one the actually came at you with real criticism for your bad video?)

if you look at this HDR, Dolby Vision, DTM analysis you can clearly see that Kingthrash delivers facts again. it is clear that DF making staff up to bash PS5, in the eyes of the mods and xbox fanboys, it should not be allowed to bash xbox, but somehow the DF gets free pass to do it for PS5, i wonder why?

DF showed SDR captures, which is where the difference in black/gamma/colors comes in, not HDR captures. HDR is going to look similar across the platforms, as represented in this video by Amok4All. Where did DF "bash" PS5?

Kingthrash

Kingthrash Kingthrash why are you beefing with everyone on here, but didn't feel the need to comment to me (prob the only one the actually came at you with real criticism for your bad video?)

DF showed SDR captures, which is where the difference in black/gamma/colors comes in, not HDR captures. HDR is going to look similar across the platforms, as represented in this video by Amok4All. Where did DF "bash" PS5?
I'm not "beefing" with anyone I'm simply asking where I had "fanboy drivel" or how I'm an "idiot". If anything these immature fellas are trying to beef with me.

Clearly you didn't watch my video...if you did youd know we agree.
DF bashed ps5 by pretending it was the ps5 that had a issue when it wasn't ps5 at all...they spent 10min trying to blame Playstation for something that was CLEARLY not at fault. They both look identical but in capture they look different. Ps5 is outputting HDR xbox is not. There is something wrong with the xbox as this is across all games with hdr....that why I showed hitman 3....same goes for control as well.

So tell me how is my video "trash"

Tripolygon

Banned
XSX could easily drop the frame rate 20% to match the PS5s res...or even just 10% and not drop that the odd frame but still have plenty of overhead left.
I'm not a fan of games dipping below 1080p on a 4k console.

Personally I'd rather have the 20% res increase and drop the odd frame - as it would appeal the developer would.

Also, if you have VRR then no frames dropped at all (PS5 still drops frames and doesn't have VRR) and xbox has Dolby Atmos too.
XSX has a resolution advantage, PS5 has a framerate advantage.

You prefer up 20% resolution bump at certain points in the game with dynamic resolution scaling. Good for you? Some people prefer smoother framerate.

Kuranghi

93 actually. It's not FALD, but edge lit local dimming. Works reasonably well.

The 94 was only available in 75" I think? Mine is 55".

Awesome, my favourite TV after the ZD9.

I still think of Slim Backlight Drive+ as edge-lit even though its that hybrid system as you said, I believe it still has to light up multiple zones depending on the placement of the bright area on the screen, rather than just the zone behind the bright part.

I haven't seen side by sides ofc but I'd bet the XE93 still smashes the XH90/XH95 and X90J (XH95 is hopefully better in this regard) for dimming capability, considering it bested the XF90. Based on brightness figures it mauls them for SDR and HDR brightness. If only out X1E chipsets could get in on that X-Motion Clarity BFI action and better image processing of the X1U (Still not sure about the XR processor in the 9-series LCDs, the OLED one seems ace though) we'd be set as the best for a few more years yet!

Even just the back of the XE93 looks amazing, that cream "criss-cross" design is great, the bezel is lovely too.

My ZD9 has a "Champagne Gold" trim, which never ceases to make me chuckle, truly a TV made for Saudia princes and proto-instragram-thots.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Awesome, my favourite TV after the ZD9.

I still think of Slim Backlight Drive+ as edge-lit even though its that hybrid system as you said, I believe it still has to light up multiple zones depending on the placement of the bright area on the screen, rather than just the zone behind the bright part.

I haven't seen side by sides ofc but I'd bet the XE93 still smashes the XH90/XH95 and X90J (XH95 is hopefully better in this regard) for dimming capability, considering it bested the XF90. Based on brightness figures it mauls them for SDR and HDR brightness. If only out X1E chipsets could get in on that X-Motion Clarity BFI action and better image processing of the X1U (Still not sure about the XR processor in the 9-series LCDs, the OLED one seems ace though) we'd be set as the best for a few more years yet!

Even just the back of the XE93 looks amazing, that cream "criss-cross" design is great, the bezel is lovely too.

My ZD9 has a "Champagne Gold" trim, which never ceases to make me chuckle, truly a TV made for Saudia princes and proto-instragram-thots.

Yeah, I'm really happy with the TV and have never really felt a need to upgrade. Now I've moved to a larger apartment with more living room space though, so I kind of feel like I need at least a 65". And also HDMI 2.1 would be nice of course. I'm gravitating toward the latest Sony OLEDs, but those aren't cheap. The 80 is a bit more affordable than the 90, haven't researched them enough to know what the main differences are.

Kuranghi

Yeah, I'm really happy with the TV and have never really felt a need to upgrade. Now I've moved to a larger apartment with more living room space though, so I kind of feel like I need at least a 65". And also HDMI 2.1 would be nice of course. I'm gravitating toward the latest Sony OLEDs, but those aren't cheap. The 80 is a bit more affordable than the 90, haven't researched them enough to know what the main differences are.

I'm guessing my the language you are in the Americas, so I can't help with local deals since I'm in the UK but try and find a second hand 65" or 75" Z9D, it won't have 2.1 but it will blow your pants off I guarantee it, the HDR pop/contrast is immense even during scenes that would make most other FALDs/XE93 fall down.

Here you can a well kept 2nd hand 65" for £1200-£1500 and the 75" for £2000-2500. In fact there was a new-in-box 65" ZD9 on ebay UK the other day but it only lasted like two (2) days before someone got it.

Its not going to be OLED ofc, still got blooming in super challenging scenes and tiny highlights (smaller than 2.77 sq inches) won't go as bright as on OLED, but you can pay almost half what a 65" or 77" OLED costs for it and get HDR brightness the OLEDs can't touch + no crappy ABL.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm guessing my the language you are in the Americas, so I can't help with local deals since I'm in the UK but try and find a second hand 65" or 75" Z9D, it won't have 2.1 but it will blow your pants off I guarantee it, the HDR pop/contrast is immense even during scenes that would make most other FALDs/XE93 fall down.

Here you can a well kept 2nd hand 65" for £1200-£1500 and the 75" for £2000-2500. In fact there was a new-in-box 65" ZD9 on ebay UK the other day but it only lasted like two (2) days before someone got it.

Its not going to be OLED ofc, still got blooming in super challenging scenes and tiny highlights (smaller than 2.77 sq inches) won't go as bright as on OLED, but you can pay almost half what a 65" or 77" OLED costs for it and get HDR brightness the OLEDs can't touch + no crappy ABL.

I'm actually in Sweden. But no, if I buy a new TV it's gonna be a future-proof one, meaning HDMI 2.1 support, several years of updates to come, etc. I'm sure the Z9D is great, but I wouldn't buy such an "old" TV. I'm also a bit allergic to second hand electronics, I want everything I buy to be brand new and unused. Logically I know that buying the latest model is not a good choice economically, but that's just how I am.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Er not exactly. One X had almost of the double of the resolution gap seen in this generation, with sometimes better performance and also graphic setting.
No, I had One X and a Pro and sometimes the same game, I had done comparisons. It was the same thing, slightly higher resolution on X with less stable fps performance on X because it was pushing the higher res and you would also get the screen tearing on X.

Not sure where you get double resolution from, X was not doing double resolution of Pro lol.. It wasn't that big of a gap.

i just finished the games on series x....2 things that stood out
Mouse and keyboard support cannot be understated...the game with a controller is unforgiving and some areas require pinpoint shots otherwise your outta ammo/reloading or health gets eaten up
and the second point is this game i think is the best looking title on next gen consoles..i put it before ratchet and clank..pretty much from the halfway point the game ups itself in the locations and art direction and looks absolutely stunning

You Can't rely on a niche feature, their DRS profiler is setup wrong and constantly sets the repulsions slightly too high, others have theorised it's due to the proper Dev kit having a bit more power.
I love it. It's a niche feature now LOL. It's like the Nintendo fanboys all over again when they said the 360 HD was a niche feature and many didn't have HD TV's

acm2000

I love it. It's a niche feature now LOL. It's like the Nintendo fanboys all over again when they said the 360 HD was a niche feature and many didn't have HD TV's
it is a niche feature that maybe 1% of gamers have access too, it will be a niche feature on ps5 too if they ever actually add support

acm2000

It's like the Wii days all over again.
i mean i play games on pc with gysnc, so im all good, but home tvs are many many years behind, no console shpuld rely on VRR for a steady fps, MS just needs to change their profiler slightly so the upper res limits are a bit less

i mean i play games on pc with gysnc, so im all good, but home tvs are many many years behind, no console shpuld rely on VRR for a steady fps, MS just needs to change their profiler slightly so the upper res limits are a bit less
It was a lame excuse in the 360 days but now many decent TV comes with VVR and are very much affordable. VRR is a game changing feature, quite amazing it was never mentioned once in this comparison and the lack of talk of Dolby Atmos was also quite shocking, given how well Metro implements it

Seems fps higher on playstation but higher res on Xbox. Seems that will be the main narrative for most games. Pick what you like better. I would notice more dropped frames than res though, if we're being honest.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
thank you. thought i was going crazy. was like, do i need a new tv? lol it is f'n ugly and poor!
+1. I bought it day one after buying a new PC just for this game. The game straight up sucks. The controls are awful for an FPS game. You simply cannot have this weird deadzone in first person shooters like this. The guns are not fun to shoot and ammo is impossible to find. You are required to pretty much run past most enemies in the open world which is bizarre because then why make an open world game in the first place?

And yes, the game doesnt even look that good.

sircaw

Banned
I loved that god damn thread "lollipop_disappointed:

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
I'm not "beefing" with anyone I'm simply asking where I had "fanboy drivel" or how I'm an "idiot". If anything these immature fellas are trying to beef with me.

Clearly you didn't watch my video...if you did youd know we agree.
DF bashed ps5 by pretending it was the ps5 that had a issue when it wasn't ps5 at all...they spent 10min trying to blame Playstation for something that was CLEARLY not at fault. They both look identical but in capture they look different. Ps5 is outputting HDR xbox is not. There is something wrong with the xbox as this is across all games with hdr....that why I showed hitman 3....same goes for control as well.

So tell me how is my video "trash"
Your video was total Thrash :messenger_beaming:

Where was the "fanboy drivel" though?

Can you timestamp it or quote any fanboy part in my video?
No way he can, I almost feel pain for the DF guys when I watch your videos... They are way too involved with MS and nVidia (intel?) to even see straight.
DF is polite fanboy drivel—Don't be fooled by their use of technical jargon, they're useless tools—KTG has an entertaining delivery based on facts and things you can see.

The only times I think DF is good at their job is when they talk about stuff I don't know or can't verify (I.E.: they're bad, you can especially see it on their PC videos where comparable contents from proper PC hardware enthusiasts exists all over the place).
You are required to pretty much run past most enemies in the open world which is bizarre because then why make an open world game in the first place?
So you have a lot of space to run from the enemies? 😨
pic with my phone, not the best but with the gamma set to default this is what I get. So don’t know what settings he has, I do know he uses black line insertion so that will disable any game mode stuff 🤷‍♂️and VRR. But unless he’s bumped the gamma or brightness up on his TV it doesn’t look like it does in the video.
The problem is only on the recorded footage for some reason (it looks like xbox records a tone mapped version of the HDR image for some reason, look at HDR comparison videos on youtube to see the effect).

Example (only in the recordings on xbox, it makes the image look flat):

HfIri9K.jpg

Graphical representation for those so inclined:

figure1_1600px_white.png

assurdum

Banned
No, I had One X and a Pro and sometimes the same game, I had done comparisons. It was the same thing, slightly higher resolution on X with less stable fps performance on X because it was pushing the higher res and you would also get the screen tearing on X.

Not sure where you get double resolution from, X was not doing double resolution of Pro lol.. It wasn't that big of a gap.
Slightly higher resolution? Lol. One X sent almost regularly a minimum of 50% of more pixels of PS4 pro, the series X offers half in percentage or a bit more in the best scenario and dynamically over the ps5. It's an huge difference. And me too I own both ps4 pro and one X.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Series x could achieve same framerate advantage if it dropped down to 1015p also.
Not necessarily. Faster frequency give a noticeable boost in FPS at lower resolution on the GPU, the curve of the improvement grow rapidly going more down from the higher resolution point. And I think less CUs favourite it even more. Series X has definitely more benefit with higher resolution thanks to the more CUs but I doubt lower resolution give the same proportionate boost the fps performance.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

This beloved Metro Series is now coming to both the Xbox and PS5 and today we're looking at Metro Exodus Xbox Series X, Metro Exodus PS5, and Metro Exodus PS4 Pro comparisons, and all platforms. Our Metro Exodus PS5 Review of Performance takes a look at the Metro Exodus PS5 Upgrade, while also looking on Xbox as the Metro Exodus Game Pass addition just took place. This is a deeper look at the Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition PS5 and Xbox versions of the game.

Jimmy_liv

I don't have a preference. I use every format and can't tell a difference.
You don't use every format if your on PS5 unfortunately. There's a vast vast difference but you do need to hardware to see/hear it.

I wish Sony would fix this.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned

I said the resolution gap between pro and one X was many times, if not the most, the double compared of what we have between ps5 and series X in the worst case. I'm talking about the gap difference between the two generations not of the console resolution difference. Could agree with higher pixels density isn't exactly a mind-blowing difference but call slightly higher resolution around 50- 60% of more pixel, it seems too much.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
You don't use every format if your on PS5 unfortunately. There's a vast vast difference but you do need to hardware to see/hear it.

I wish Sony would fix this.
I use every format. Atmos is on everything from PC to Phones. There is no difference between atmos for heaphones and tempest in terms of what they are doing. The quality of processing the audio is subjective, but i find DTS X to be better than Atmos and Windows Sonic is just ok compared to either. Can't say if tempest is better in terms of quality but it has proven to be very good in games that implement it well. The only difference is for people who want to use surround setup which tempest does not support currently.

In terms of PS5 supporting atmos, i hope they add it for those who have and prefer atmos setup. But for headphones i think tempest is better and advantageous in many ways.

Top Bottom