• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition: PS5 vs Xbox Series X - Image Quality + Performance Tests

The genial Dictator like to talk about complicated tech stuff but seems he is unable to manipulate the monitor setup to improve it.

Outside the completely incompetent tech analysis this channel not show such broken gamma on both version.

PC looks blown out though.
FYI You are probably running in HDR and I think the washed out look is due to SDR.
Video is sdr, PC is SDR because I rarely play it on my tv aside from Plex streaming and my monitor doesn't have fald so the HDR sucks and I never set it up.

sircaw

Banned
I have a properly calibrated OLED and it's not washed out what so ever. Ps5 does appear warmer though. Ps5 is also way to dark. Zero detail in Shadow. The Xbox and PC footage looks exactly like my PC on the same tv but different input also properly calibrated.
i don't own the game nor do i own a ps5, all i can go by is that desert scene with the tumbleweed rolling over it. All i can say is, it can't be what the developers wanted. it just looks bad. and if that's the way they celebrated it to look, um that's not a good job at all.

It would be very nice to see what nxgamer says about this, hopefully it won't be to long till he makes a video showing the two side by side.

sircaw

Banned
The bit in his video where he shows the two images of the ps5 and the pc vs the ones at the top, the bottom ones to me look so much nicer

Maybe its just me, i am old and half blind "lollipop_disappointed:

Last edited:
i don't own the game nor do i own a ps5, all i can go by is that desert scene with the tumbleweed rolling over it. All i can say is, it can't be what the developers wanted. it just looks bad. and if that's the way they celebrated it to look, um that's not a good job at all.

It would be very nice to see what nxgamer says about this, hopefully it won't be to long till he makes a video showing the two side by side.
It looks like shit on my phone but fantastic on my tv.
The bit in his video where he shows the two images of the ps5 and the pc vs the ones at the top, the bottom ones to me look so much nicer

Maybe its just me, i am old and half blind "lollipop_disappointed:
Do the bottom 2 look the same to you?

sircaw

Banned
It looks like shit on my phone but fantastic on my tv.

Do the bottom 2 look the same to you?
I would have to watch it again, all i remember was they looked nicer, like the image looked cleaner to me. I don't know if that's the brightness affecting it.

i just watched it again, the pc one button right is the best of the lot

Last edited:
I would have to watch it again, all i remember was they looked nicer, like the image looked cleaner to me. I don't know if that's the brightness affecting it.
On my phone the bottom 2 look the same, but on my tv they are totally different, there is zero detail in the shadows that is there on the PC darken one and the PC is not as warm.
Most people prefer warm looking video and pictures. It's why portraits and landscapes are typically made warmer. Just set your tv to extra warm. For movies and TV shows my setting is a bit warm because it just looks nicer, but for games and YouTube I have it set proper.

Would love to know controller latency differences between the Ps5 and XsX, as it can differ game to game.

Typically Ps5 feels better as Xbox is basically playing in a virtual machine and has the abstraction layer to contend with, which sucks. Xbox has always felt laggy, although XsX has improved.

Inviusx

I've been playing around with this ray traced GI stuff on my PS5 copy and I'm starting to wonder if the hype around this feature is a little bit overblown (due to DF giving it so much praise).

For example, 4A games claims in their spec breakdown that "every light source is now ray traced". However I am yet to be able to replicate a scenario where there is a complete absence of light.

They actually make this easy to test because light sources (candles, lamps, spotlights etc) can be turned off manually or shot out and I would expect that it I'm in a closed room where the only light emitted is from one of these sources, if I extinguish it then I should technically be a pitch black room right?

Now this may be for gameplay reasons but there is always a traditional (fake) light source applied to every scene on top of this "ray traced GI" solution they've implemented. If I extinguish every source of light in a room I can still see perfectly fine because there is still plenty of fake light illuminating into the scene from off screen. It was a bit disappointing to see this to be honest because I took their claim of "every light source is now ray traced" at face value.

Basically it seems that there is a layer of traditional "non ray traced" light applied to every area by default and then their GI solution is just slapped on top of that.

Not exactly as revolutionary as I expected to be honest. I've been taking a bunch of screenshots of this as well if anyone cares.

Last edited:

Shmunter

The gamma on Xbox and PC looked the same and the gamma slider didn't even work on PS5. Are you saying the only the PS5 gamma was correct and Xbox and PC weren't?
Only doesn’t work on John’s tv. The capture clearly displays the logo so the ps5 is sending all the data, no black clipping. That’s the crazy thing about all this.

Edit: downloading on PS5 to check myself. Will confirm.

I have a feeling John lowered his tv levels to compensate for the blown out blacks on Xbox, in turn crushing the deeper gamma on PS5. Pc and Xbox sharing the gamma may be a dx12 bug or something.

Edit: can confirm lowest logo visible at default game setting on Sony 900e in HDR. Can bump it down a few clicks even.

Last edited:

Neo_game

Same reason why some here, on neogaf, are crying like 5yo about low resolution in some xss ports in various game threads (mostly PlayStation owners). I am guessing that for them sub 1080p resolution is no longer an issue.

But I think you are just proving this point that the entry level console is irrelevant. When these 500$ or if you like 400$ console can drop to 1080P and PS5 can go below 1080P. We needed more beefed up console's instead and 500$ should be the entry level.

Last edited:
Only doesn’t work on John’s tv. The capture clearly displays the logo so the ps5 is sending all the data, no black clipping. That’s the crazy thing about all this.

I have a feeling John lowered his tv levels to compensate for the blown out blacks on Xbox, in turn crushing the deeper gamma on PS5. Pc and Xbox sharing the gamma may be a dx12 bug or something.

Edit: can confirm lowest logo visible at default game setting on Sony 900e in HDR. Can bump it down a few clicks even.
Well he'd better fix his PC too cause it looked like it had the same gamma as the Xbox. I thought the PS5 looked too dark.

But I think you are just proving this point that the entry level console is irrelevant. When these 500$ or if you like 400$ console can drop to 1080P and PS5 can go below 1080P. We needed more beefed up console's instead and 500$ should be the entry level.
Unless you are planning to pay the difference in cost it's a good thing people have options when it comes to consoles and we don't all have to $500 for the cost of entry. A $300 XSS has no impact on you whatsoever.

MaDBrute

Banned
We need more opitions for tv's, when you select HDR you need to be able to select your panel too(oled,lcd)
Panels look different, colours, blacks.

Cattlyst

Did anybody else update to the 'enhanced' edition and have their save data vanish? Not overly bothered as I'd already finished the main game, but I was quite far into Sam's Story and it now looks like I have to start over again. Not the best first impression after updating.

Edit: I'm on Series X

Last edited:

MaDBrute

Banned
Did anybody else update to the 'enhanced' edition and have their save data vanish? Not overly bothered as I'd already finished the main game, but I was quite far into Sam's Story and it now looks like I have to start over again. Not the best first impression after updating.

Edit: I'm on Series X
Maybe you have to import from xb1 to xs folder.

scalman

enhance it how you want .. i never finished it on pc , and i think i dont wanna finish game anymore.. maybe some day ... its really doesnt matter what you add to it , its not why we play games that are based on story.

Maybe the washed out image of the Xbox version is the same as the issue it had on PC. I remember mine looked washed out when I first booted on steam and looking around it seemed to be a bit of a problem, 4A themselves offered a solution (-deependark as a steam launcher option) that got rid of the problem.

For me you just warring. DRS means it's dynamic and hardly you have the impact of a fixed higher resolution. VRS doesn't excuse worse performance. But hey it's just an opinion. What about to post a picture which show that noticeable difference in the IQ?
Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
I'm of the opinion you're not a real person but a cariacature created by Neogaf for comedic effect. The developer has chose to have a significant increase in image quality over a few less frames. 20% better higher resolution is much better than 2% better performance, you do the math 😁.

assurdum

Banned
I'm of the opinion you're not a real person but a cariacature created by Neogaf for comedic effect. The developer has chose to have a significant increase in image quality over a few less frames. 20% better higher resolution is much better than 2% better performance, you do the math 😁.
Listen, you are the last person who can talk about caricature there. You are so desperate to get your win every single time, to ignore any kind of logic, insulting here and there, showing a scarce tech knowledge in most of your post. The problem it's not me who talks about trivial differences but people like you who hides their hypocrisy behind the math number, to exalt something barely visible with naked eye, calling more noticeable fps issue a second factor, as MS give for free to all his fans a TV monitor with VRR :messenger_beaming: and how do you know FPS is fixable just with lower resolution? Because I wouldn't be so sure about it.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Seeing much more particles on PS5 + better response:

Holy shit man, imagine using your kid to try and make a point.

Also the guy is using an elite controller which has a larger dead zone and allows you to actually tune your dead zone. He just needs to set it up. Haha

Also why is the ps5 pad plugged in. Seems odd.

Last edited:

Shmunter

The game looks crisp and plays well on PS5. But this whole real-time rt gi self flagellation is really over the top.

There are 2 angles to it, it is really difficult to go, wow, look at that gi. There is simply no indicator that makes it stand out. You really do need a side by side to even know there is any difference. The tech really is a dev focused plus, removing laborious baking of manually placed light sources. But for the end user, quintessential diminishing returns with little benefit on balance.

Last edited:

Also the guy is using an elite controller which has a larger dead zone and allows you to actually tune your dead zone. He just needs to set it up. Haha

Plugging in the pad should affect input lag and not the deadzone if I'm not wrong.

Anyways we already have plenty of comparisons between the controllers. So if anyone's interested in input lag you already have the results.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Actually the lack of snow in XSX caught my eyes more than that response/deadzone which is really shit anyway.

Again. Is your tv properly calibrated? John has an OLED and I have an older OLED. I'm betting his tv is properly calibrated and he's not changing levels to make the Xbox look proper. The ps5 is too dark. The Xbox and PC look great. In the church at the end of the video, I can't see a thing on ps5. It's too dark.

BigLee74

So are you saying Xbox can’t do snow, or it’s configured to do less, or willing to entertain the fact that there might be some kind of dynamic element to the weather (unless you know better)?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Again. Is your tv properly calibrated? John has an OLED and I have an older OLED. I'm betting his tv is properly calibrated and he's not changing levels to make the Xbox look proper. The ps5 is too dark. The Xbox and PC look great. In the church at the end of the video, I can't see a thing on ps5. It's too dark.

Actually both look off: PS5 dark, XSX gray blacks. Like the opposite of each. Devs are to blame of course.

So are you saying Xbox can’t do snow, or it’s configured to do less, or willing to entertain the fact that there might be some kind of dynamic element to the weather (unless you know better)?

No idea, don't own the game, only something was very obvious there whether it's random dynamically or true difference.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Yes, I’ve calibrated it myself using a spectrometer like the pro’s do it. I’m very anal about accuracy.

I can crush the logo only by dropping the black level about 20%.

The ps5 is sending the full range without any detail loss without question.

Top Bottom