• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition: PS5 vs Xbox Series X - Image Quality + Performance Tests

Inviusx

The PS5 version definitely has gamma issues. I'm playing it as we speak and I'm seeing a lot of crushed blacks everywhere. Some areas it works in the games favour like some of the tunnels in the Volga area where the pitch black image makes it seem more intense but I don't think that's the developers intention.

In normal play I'm definitely losing detail in shadows where I shouldn't be. I'm currently running 1 notch above default for the gamma setting.

This is on a C9 OLED running via HGIG calibration.

Last edited:
Actually both look off: PS5 dark, XSX gray blacks. Like the opposite of each. Devs are to blame of course.

No idea, don't own the game, only something was very obvious there whether it's random dynamically or true difference.
On my phone Xbox looks like hot trash and ps5 looks great, but on my tv Xbox has great blacks and ps5 you can't see shit.

Shmunter

The PS5 version definitely has gamma issues. I'm playing it as we speak and I'm seeing a lot of crushed blacks everywhere. Some areas it works in the games favour like some of the tunnels in the Volga area where the pitch black image makes it seem more intense but I don't think that's the developers intention.

In normal play I'm definitely losing detail in shadows where I should be. I'm currently running 1 notch above default for the gamma setting.

This is on a C9 OLED running via HGIG calibration.
Is that despite being able to see the left most logo in the game calibration?

assurdum

Banned
You really posted this bullshit here and expected to get a pat on the back lmao
Well it's not like they don't called it. If their talks was more limited about analytics tech aspects, maybe less people would attack them. Never seen anyone blame VGtech. Alex passed ten minutes calling noticeable difference, what you can catch mostly looking to some subpixels details in specific spots; I stop to believe to the coincidence when they search such narrative. It seems they put their hand ahead as to say "you see, 30% higher res broh, who cares of some drops". And we seen how many people here parrot their words just to get the point.

Last edited:
Yes, I’ve calibrated it myself using a spectrometer like the pro’s do it. I’m very anal about accuracy.

I can crush the logo only by dropping the black level about 20%.

The ps5 is sending the full range without any detail loss without question.
This is odd then. Maybe it's an LCD or OLED issue? Not sure. Funny though, really shows the difference a tv makes. Kinda seems like calling something washed out, too dark or too bright is down to the tv, and not the console version.

Rea

Holy shit man, imagine using your kid to try and make a point.

Also the guy is using an elite controller which has a larger dead zone and allows you to actually tune your dead zone. He just needs to set it up. Haha

Also why is the ps5 pad plugged in. Seems odd.
He confirmed the original controller also has same issue. Read the comments.

Shmunter

This is odd then. Maybe it's an LCD or OLED issue? Not sure. Funny though, really shows the difference a tv makes. Kinda seems like calling something washed out, too dark or too bright is down to the tv, and not the console version.
This games lowest dark on PS5 is on a hair I believe and is dependent on the black level.

If the black level is even slightly lower for anyone, no amount of gamma adjustment will bring it out. And with display variances it’s obvious some are falling on one or the other side.

Bump up brightness (or whatever it’s called on your set) and I bet the logo will appear.

The Xbox version is definitely blowing out the blacks. It looks terrible with the lowest black being a shade of grey. A set would really need to be out of whack to produce pure black from that signal.

Last edited:

Exanthus

Banned
Well it's not like they don't deserve it. If their talks was limited about tech aspect, data sheet, indeed to the war race of what is better than what, less people will attack them. Never seen anyone attack VGtech. Alex passed ten minutes calling a noticeable difference, what you can catch mostly looking to some subpixels details in specific spots; I doubt it's a coincidence. It seems he prepared the ground to the FPS analysis to some people to say "you see, 30% higher res broh, who cares of some drops". And we seen how many people here parrot his words to claim a victory.

Are you serious?

This games lowest dark on PS5 is on a hair I believe and is dependent on the black level.

If the black level is even slightly lower for anyone, no amount of gamma adjustment will bring it out. And with display variances it’s obvious some are falling on one or the other side.

Bump up brightness (or whatever it’s called on your set) and I bet the logo will appear.

The Xbox version is definitely blowing out the blacks. It looks terrible with the lowest black being a shade of grey. A set would really need to be out of whack to produce pure black from that signal.
I have a 12 foot window beside my tv and I havnt watched the video at night, but looked fine with insane glare haha.

acm2000

Xbox got VRR. It's SONY that needs to live up to its 'promise' and update its firmware to support VRR
You Can't rely on a niche feature, their DRS profiler is setup wrong and constantly sets the repulsions slightly too high, others have theorised it's due to the proper Dev kit having a bit more power.

Inviusx

Then conversely you should see every detail in the game. Somewhat confounding your findings.

I think gamma as a whole is just borked on PS5. The highlights get insanely blown out on the higher end of the gamma scale but the black level isn't raised in accordance with that shift.

The Xbox footage is what im expecting to see on my PS5. At the moment it's insanely contrasty and not in a good way although I know some people like seeing crazy amounts of contrast between dark and light but generally that isn't how the games artists want it to be viewed.

Last edited:

Kingthrash

you have a whole youtube account to hate xbox LOL
Naw I got a whole youtube account based on the facts. You just too insecure to see it. Lol I didn't even bash the xbox...even said the both look equal....there is just something wrong with capturing video with it. Even provided proof....you got proof stating otherwise or are you just gunna sit here crying over the facts?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

Its too easy

breaking news dog meme GIF by Mike Diva

Shmunter

I think gamma as a whole is just borked on PS5. The highlights get insanely blown out on the higher end of the gamma scale but the black level isn't raised in accordance with that shift.

The Xbox footage is what im expecting to see on my PS5. At the moment it's insanely contrasty and not in a good way although I know some people like seeing crazy amounts of contrast between dark and light but generally that isn't how the games artists want it to be viewed.
Still wouldn’t explain your prior crush issue

Kingthrash

Then conversely you should see every detail in the game. Somewhat confounding your findings.
Then why would they give you a flashlight?
I've played all metro games....they were all dark. Tbh both the ps5 and xbox series x look identical...both look like the Playstation version in the DF video....there is a problem when capturing off a xbox

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
IMO the darker presentation is correct.
The enhanced edition if washed out piece of shit on pc. Even worse in HDR. Gamma is broken too.
With -deependark, it looks WAY closer to how original looked in SDR. hdr is still raised a bit.
Maybe You need oled to see this but by default on pc, the enhanced edition does not have "black color". Everything is grey

saintjules

I'm looking to buy it this week, but can someone tell me is it The Complete Edition or the Enhanced Edition that has all the bells and whistles + DLC?

Microsoft store says Enhanced Edition, but the physical copies say Complete Edition. I still have to check DF's comparison to see if there's anything better on the PS5 version.

Last edited:
Listen, you are the last person who can talk about caricature there. You are so desperate to get your win every single time, to ignore any kind of logic, insulting here and there, showing a scarce tech knowledge in most of your post. The problem it's not me who talks about trivial differences but people like you who hides their hypocrisy behind the math number, to exalt something barely visible with naked eye, calling more noticeable fps issue a second factor, as MS give for free to all his fans a TV monitor with VRR :messenger_beaming: and how do you know FPS is fixable just with lower resolution? Because I wouldn't be so sure about it.
Comedy gold 🤣

IMO the darker presentation is correct.
The enhanced edition if washed out piece of shit on pc. Even worse in HDR. Gamma is broken too.
With -deependark, it looks WAY closer to how original looked in SDR. hdr is still raised a bit.
Maybe You need oled to see this but by default on pc, the enhanced edition does not have "black color". Everything is grey

I mentioned something similar earlier in the thread as a possibility given to why the Xbox version looks washed out, could have ended up suffering the same problem if PC & Xbox are to share a toolset going forward. It was the same for me with the PC connected to a Panasonic LCD when the update first dropped and I had to use the same steam command to fix. With 4A providing the fix themselves I assume the darker presentation is what they originally envisaged.

Iced Arcade

Naw I got a whole youtube account based on the facts. You just too insecure to see it. Lol I didn't even bash the xbox...even said the both look equal....there is just something wrong with capturing video with it. Even provided proof....you got proof stating otherwise or are you just gunna sit here crying over the facts?
LOL oh, unpluck your bloomers. was referencing your youtube page in general that you are here promoting. I gave you some clicks, you're welcome!

Last edited:

Synless

Is this 4K texture pack download actually a thing on PS5? Because I don’t see it anywhere on the store.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Account*
Wasn't*
Sentence*
(You didn't need a comma before you typed "and")
For someone trying to tell me that I can barely put a sentence together, you'd think they'd know how to put a actual sentence together.
Well i have dyslexia, but i'm sure you got my point. :messenger_smiling:

Kingthrash

Well i have dyslexia, but i'm sure you got my point. :messenger_smiling:
Smh so you have dyslexia but talk to people the way you do? There is no excuse for that. You need to mature up, dyslexia isn't an excuse to attempt to troll people just because you disagree.

Understand that it is ok to disagree...that's how the best conversations and learning experiences are had....but when you spit insults because you disagree, it's really immature and most people just cringe at it.
LOL oh, unpluck your bloomers. was referencing your youtube page in general that you are here promoting. I gave you some clicks, you're welcome

Kingthrash

LOL oh, unpluck your bloomers. was referencing your youtube page in general that you are here promoting. I gave you some clicks, you're welcome!
So you got nothing?

I don't care for the clicks I care for the accuracy of information by those we trust.
(Assuming you are a gamer)
Clearly you didn't have any objections to what I said... you just disagree with the facts....sadly you just want as much misinformation to fire off so you can continue the childish console war and continue to be taken advantage of for the sake of trolling

Top Bottom