• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2, CoD:WWII pre-orders off to "very strong start", CoD trailer fastest viewed

Hux1ey

Banned
It's the quality of Destiny that keeps people coming back.

Apart from the shooting which is of course great, what makes the game so good? There is no plot and the repetition is insane after a certain point. Granted I didn't play the DLC stuff.

Lol

Empty promises = quality?

I was excited for the original Destiny back when it was purported to be an open-world multiplayer shooter - and then the game released and it was all linear corridors with limited exteriors. As a matter of fact, a lot of the initial hype was based off of things that didn't make it into the final game at all, or were exaggerated with the utmost hyperbole.

No way CoD gets beaten at launch. Long term I could potentially see happening since Destiny is supported for several years versus just one.

Agreed.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Apart from the shooting which is of course great, what makes the game so good? There is no plot and the repetition is insane after a certain point. Granted I didn't play the DLC stuff.
DLC has dramatically improved the game. The strikes and story missions got much more involved, more variety of loot with a more satisfying progression curve, more activities in general, and of course more of the exceptional raids.

Yu Furealdo

I predicted that DOOM 2016 was going to the shooter that blew gamers' socks off, and for 2017 I predict that CoD WWII will be the same thing. Glad to see that there is already a lot of positive buzz.

SheHateMe

I'm part of the problem, or will be once Amazon gets its shit together and let us pre-order the Collector's Edition for Destiny 2.

As always, I'll take the wait and see approach for CoD, but man, WWII looks great.

Then again, I was one of the few that actually enjoyed Infinite Warfare's Campaign.

anothertech

This will blow your mind:
The part you missed is what makes the game so good :)

ZeoVGM

Banned
Lol

Empty promises = quality?

No, fantastic gameplay and level design = quality.

We're not talking about the issues Destiny had during its first few months. They improved it in many areas and with The Taken King, it became a legitimately great game.

You not liking Destiny doesn't change the fact that the reason why it is such a hugely popular game is because people other than you don't share your opinion.

I'm a big Destiny fan, but I highly doubt that. CoD WWII trailer already has 14 million views. Destiny 2 trailer has 11 million and has been out for about a month now.

Both game launches will be huge, but I think CoD will be bigger. I'd love to be wrong, though!

Cod will be bigger, Destiny will be better.

ZeoVGM

Banned

If you didn't play anything past the base game, it's kind of impossible to answer this. They improved the game in almost every possible way.

Gator86

It costs you 0 dollars to preorder on amazon. Cancel whenever you like.

Yup, I grabbed my pre-order the minute they were available and canceled it the minute I got my code. Not believing shit Bungie says about this game until the release version is in people's hands.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Best gameplay in any shooter as far as I'm concerned. And there's nothing like raiding in other shooters.

Pretty much this.

Yes, part of the game is repeating activities such as strikes and raids. And the fact that people are still doing that, almost three years in, is a testament to how fantastic the gameplay itself is.

Hux1ey

Banned
DLC has dramatically improved the game. The strikes and story missions got much more involved, more variety of loot with a more satisfying progression curve, more activities in general, and of course more of the exceptional raids.

This will blow your mind:
The part you missed is what makes the game so good :)

If you didn't play anything past the base game, it's kind of impossible to answer this. They improved the game in almost every possible way.

I'll take your word for it, I may try Destiny 2 if the reception is great, especially now that it's on PC.

Best gameplay in any shooter as far as I'm concerned.

It's good but It's no FEAR bro.

No, fantastic gameplay and level design = quality.

We're not talking about the issues Destiny had during its first few months. They improved it in many areas and with The Taken King, it became a legitimately great game.

You not liking Destiny doesn't change the fact that the reason why it is such a hugely popular game is because people other than you don't share your opinion.

Me not liking something doesn't affect the popularity and sales numbers of it lol

Call of Duty is by far the bigger franchise and with the World War II motif this time, it should only increase the level of sales and hype.

Lets just wait for the reviews and the final sales numbers before we have this debate please :)

I like the character models, the sounds, the lore, the art direction, etc. They're what keep me playing it alongside the infamous "grind" for better loot.

I just really don't want the quality to drop anywhere in Destiny 2. It probably won't, right?

Strakt

Me not liking something doesn't affect the popularity and sales numbers of a franchise LOL

Call of Duty is by far the bigger franchise and with the World War II motif th8s time, it should only increase the level of sales and hype.

Lets just wait for the reviews and the final sales numbers before we have this debate please :)

Who cares about reviews or which is the bigger franchise. We understand you like COD from your avatar. Both are video games, meant to be enjoyed. You should take your sales numbers to the COD reddit and go talk about em there.

I agree. CoD 2 is still my favorite in the series.

Same here.

COD2 and MOHAA are the pinnacle of WWII games for me. I hope that COD: WWII can top them.

Who cares about reviews or which is the bigger franchise. We understand you like COD from your avatar. Both are video games, meant to be enjoyed. You should take your sales numbers to the COD reddit and go talk about em there.

So if I had a Destiny avatar my point would still be invalid?

Strakt

Same here.

COD2 and MOHAA are the pinnacle of WWII games for me. I hope that COD: WWII can top them.

So if I had a Destiny avatar my point would still be invalid?

If you were bragging about bigger sales and how much better a franchise is then yea. Its one thing to like a game.. its another to bash something based on the very little knowledge you possess

If you were bragging about bigger sales and how much better a franchise is then yea. Its one thing to like a game.. its another to bash something based on the very little knowledge you possess

It's a fact that the Call of Duty games garner larger sales numbers. It's not a reflection on their quality per say; I'm sure that Destiny is better than some of the recent Call of Duty releases, but I think that Call of Duty: WWII will out-sell Destiny 2.

Either way, Activision wins lol

Floody

Plan on pre-ordering Destiny 2 at some point (probably when they announce the beta date), probably pick up rhe expansion pass version too.
I find it kinda amazing how quickly people desperately want WW2 shooters again, wasn't that long ago it seemed everyone was sick of them, wonder how long it'll take for far future shooters to be back in demand?
Anyway won't be touching WW2 until I know if it'll have weapons behind loot boxes, if it does not touching it, if they don't say not touching it for awhile and if they say it won't, I'll probably still wait awhile just to be sure.

Guys calm down with the Destiny vs CoD war. If it does better it does better. Either way Activision and to an extent ourselves win. No need to tell people to go fanboy on Reddit or something.

Also to the people who are frustrated with our evil preordering ways, I just want to say thanks for your concern but it's my money and I've been very happy with my purchases so kindly step off your podium.

Gurrry

Unless there is some truly exclusive in-game content that is worth preordering for.. im not doing it.

Having said that, Ill be there day 0 for Destiny 2.

Midas

I think Bungie themselves were shocked by that. I mean, TTK didn't seem to have that issue if I remember correctly so why would RoI?

(But I'll never forget that because the connection issues at 5 AM led to me missing out on beating Oryx on hard due to a bug and people being booted to orbit. So I didn't get the emblem. Ughhhhh.)

They probably scaled back on their infrastructure when less people played the game and didn't think about that there might be a surge in activity with Rise of Iron. I might be totally wrong though, but that's my guess.

They probably scaled back on their infrastructure when less people played the game and didn't think about that there might be a surge in activity with Rise of Iron. I might be totally wrong though, but that's my guess.

Yeah, that sounds pretty likely. I'm sure they anticipated a surge in activity, but not that much of a surge.

But honestly, I ended up sleeping in that day and all of the problems were fixed by the time I woke up :p

Caayn

And it's the, lack of, content that keeps me away from Destiny 2. Especially as a non-PS player that will have to wait one year to get, if at all, content that PS got a year earlier.

Trace

Banned
And it's the, lack of, content that keeps me away from Destiny 2. Especially as a non-PS player that will have to wait one year to get, if at all, content that PS got a year earlier.

Are you talking as a vanilla player or as an owner of the collection? Because the full Destiny has a silly amount of content.

Kyoufu

How can a lack of content keep you away from Destiny 2 when they haven't revealed what content the game includes on day one?

vareon

I'm going to accept that CoD is one of those things that is so HUGE and keeps being huge but kept passing unnoticed under my nose. Says so much about me and my circle of friends.

Top Bottom