• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Blizzard beats expectations, has best Q1 results ever, increases guidance

Daffy Duck

So glad Activisions results were down due to lower in game digital sales (mircotransactions) as their system in CoD is easily the worst of any system.

Yes I know they have improved it somewhat in IW, but it is still a heavily loaded system geared for the house to always to win.

C_AkZgRWAAE5Vf0.jpg:large

Just like the whole gaming industry is roughly 1/3 1/3 1/3

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
But COD lootboxes and pay2win drove away allot of players.

Do CoD lootboxes have early unlocks or anything that isn't strictly cosmetic? I don't know if it is or isnt "p2w", but Overwatch legitimately can't be considered P2W by any stretch given what the lootboxes contain.

Iscariot

Yes I know they have improved it somewhat in IW, but it is still a heavily loaded system geared for the house to always to win.

My impression was that it was even worse than AW/Blops3's implementation.

I didn't actually buy it, but that was my recollection from watching some Drift0r vids.

Cleve

Blizzard doesn't try to fuck you for map packs/season pass well as lootboxes that contain items. They handle it much more respectfully, and the cosmetics are generally more interesting than what's in cod.

Do CoD lootboxes have early unlocks or anything that isn't strictly cosmetic?

They have weapons that are only available from lootboxes. P2W is a stretch, but it's still shitty. Particularly after paying for the "season pass"

Daffy Duck

My impression was that it was even worse than AW/Blops3's implementation.

I didn't actually buy it, but that was my recollection from watching some Drift0r vids.

It was a very muddled system at launch (when I played the game) as it had salvage and the lootboxes, with variants available only via drops.

Now they have (from what I have seen on CoD YT videos) gone some way to fix this by giving season pass holders free weapons and the ability for those without a season pass the ability to earn weapons from completing challenges. You can then craft these variants with salvage (this salvage though still takes ages to earn AFAIK so there is still a massive grind here).

It is a huge step up from BO3, which was pure garbage.

It's a shame we have to go through this system of them ironing out their gouging systems with each interation of the game and they can't just get a decent system in place as Overwatch seems to do it right, and people love cosmetic stuff.

Syf

Banned
Why is Activision's income so low?
With Guitar Hero failing and Skylanders nearly there, the Activision side of the company is relying heavily on CoD and Destiny. Which are obviously two massive IPs, but with CoD having a relatively soft year for sales and Destiny waiting for its sequel, Activision is gonna be down some.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Hey guys it's Jeff from the overwatch team here, even though this game had made us literally a billion dollars and we're part of the most profitable gaming publishers ever, we hope you look forward to our 3rd multiplayer map coming in fall 2017, in the meantime enjoy some temporary skins.

Well you certainly don't have an agenda.

foxdvd

There is a huge difference between the loot boxes..one is cosmetic the other locks weapons and other items behind the boxes.

I wish more companies would look at the success of Overwatch loot box system and stop putting weapons, characters and gear behind a random loot box system.

Well you certainly don't have an agenda.
Bruv I've got over 200 hours in Overwatch since September and it's my favorite mp shooter of all time, I constantly post in the OT so it's not like I have some shitposting vendetta against the game. I just think new content is really slow to release especially when you look at their profits. Which isn't even an out there opinion if you look at impressions from players.

With Guitar Hero failing and Skylanders nearly there, the Activision side of the company is relying heavily on CoD and Destiny. Which are obviously two massive IPs, but with CoD having a relatively soft year for sales and Destiny waiting for its sequel, Activision is gonna be down some.

Judging from Toys for Bob's recent job postings (thanks, Nirolak!), Skylanders may be transitioning to a GaaS business model next year.

They don't necessarily have too much money. They're being exploited. There's a difference there
No, exploiting people is what Valve does by giving you locked chests and then making you buy keys to open them.

Oh, and the whole CS:GO thing where Valve whitelisted gambling bots.

Top Bottom