• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia reports record earnings, profits on growth in AI and gaming

Dunno

Is AMD or Intel gonna compete?
Not anytime soon

Battlemage, which is now reported to be delayed to 2025, was always going to be midrange parts only

RDNA4 is apparently on schedule but was previously leaked as being midrange parts only

The Lovelace successor, which is apparently on track for early 2025, will again hold the high end market uncontested. You will pay whatever Jensen charges for your 5090, and you will like it, because neither AMD nor Intel are planning on competing with it

Honestly just buy some fucking NVDA stock and use your profits from it to buy video cards, I've been doing this since circa 2012. Yes, my very first NVDA shares I ever bought was back in 2012

hlm666

We have choices, we may not like the alternatives but as the gaming revenue here proves people have accepted the prices. Now you can pay less for an AMD part but you are getting what you pay for in the long run, you can pay for the extra dedicated hardware in an nvidia gpu and their software perks or save money with AMD and be patient with software features and more generalized hardware which can't compete on all fronts. Then you can go intel if your really budget constrained, not chasing high end and willing to accept the downsides (which have actually made good progress).

I'm honestly not sure why nvidia always takes heat for prices, i'm sure the 7900xtx would have sold really well at 700-800 usd and the xt at 600. If people think nvidia's margins are extreme AMD must have room to move right? the chiplet design is supposed to make it cheaper to produce right? AMD are just as much a cause of the current prices as nvidia, people seem to always give AMD slack intel and nvidia don't get. Like when AMD got the cpu crown with zen 3 and increased the price of the product stack by 50 bucks wasn't an issue.

Are nvidia bending us over a barrel, hell yeh they are and not botherng with lube but AMD and Intel are in the corner of the room fluffing themselves just waiting for nvidia to leave the room so they can have a go.

I will say even wih the fucked prices I seem to be spending less on my pc than I did 5-10 years ago because i'm upgrading gpus less now and doing complete rebuilds even less because of how slow progress is now. It feels like eternity these days between significant hardware progress.

Scotracer

Neo Member
Not anytime soon

Battlemage, which is now reported to be delayed to 2025, was always going to be midrange parts only

RDNA4 is apparently on schedule but was previously leaked as being midrange parts only

The Lovelace successor, which is apparently on track for early 2025, will again hold the high end market uncontested. You will pay whatever Jensen charges for your 5090, and you will like it, because neither AMD nor Intel are planning on competing with it

Honestly just buy some fucking NVDA stock and use your profits from it to buy video cards, I've been doing this since circa 2012. Yes, my very first NVDA shares I ever bought was back in 2012

Simple answer don't buy their top cards at prices you don't like. 4090 is overkill in almost all scenarios.

What CPU would it use? Nvidia doesn’t have an SoC unless it goes ARM and then it won’t be able to play those games.

They could produce a competent Android device , but for what purpose? Android tablets aren’t the hottest market and a handheld won’t be able to play majority of Windows games.
Did Valve ever talk about third parties doing Steamdecks for them, basically what the plan with Steam Machines back then was. Maybe Nvidia could do their version of a Steamdeck with Steam OS on it. I guess porting this Linux fork from x86 to ARM isn't impossible since the core Linux runs on almost everything anyway and that would immediately be more proper game ready than Android. Question is how custom the OS is to survive such a CPU swap or if that would require some serious work from either Nvidia or again Valve.

Or Nvidia makes a deal with Nintendo and Shield2 will be a more expensive, more capable Switch2, having support for android shovelware, GeforceNow and also Switch2 games.

Either option could be interesting.

The problem is the 4090 is so far ahead of all consoles, that even when you max out a multiplatform release, you're still miles ahead in resolution and frame-rate, whilst having higher graphics settings. So where is there for the 5090 to go?
4k+RT can still be a challenge for the 4090.

ill probably get a 5080/90 and if i can hit 4k120 with performance to spare, ill just downsample.

Reallink

Gamers are f-d as Jensen is free to charge whatever he wants basically. 5080 is going to be $1,200 again, isn’t it? 🤬
Regardless of what they call it, the full 103 die (i.e the current 4080 Super) will most likely be $1600 with 24GB of RAM. Various cutdowns of the 102 dies will start at $2000 for 24GB and extend to $3000 for the AI creator friendly 48GB varient. In other words they will again push the product stack : price ratio down another tier, like they did with the 4XXXs. #Gamers have demonstated they're happy to pay the premium, and AMDs not even feigning a high end competitor next gen.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Regardless of what they call it, the full 103 die (i.e the current 4080 Super) will most likely be $1600 with 24GB of RAM. Various cutdowns of the 102 dies will start at $2000 for 24GB and extend to $3000 for the AI creator friendly 48GB varient. In other words they will again push the product stack : price ratio down another tier, like they did with the 4XXXs. #Gamers have demonstated they're happy to pay the premium, and AMDs not even feigning a high end competitor next gen.

This is what I am afraid of. Let’s see what AMD does as the current rumor is that AMD will have 4080 level card for $500-600.

Reallink

This is what I am afraid of. Let’s see what AMD does as the current rumor is that AMD will have 4080 level card for $500-600.
Ultimately meaningless as AMD will still be inferior in RT and feature set, and that will be very close to the street price of used or clearance 4080 Supers and whatever they decide to call the $600 5070 varient.

Last edited:
If developing a new GPU were that easy, everyone would be doing it. Watching AMD struggle for 20 years and Intel try to enter the market, it's clear that Nvidia's got a pretty significant technological lead on any would be competitors. If you earned your monopoly by constantly having superior technology and by constantly improving your technology, that's really hard to complain about.

It was probably easier to get into this industry in the 90s. Technology is too complex now.

StereoVsn

Ultimately meaningless as AMD will still be inferior in RT and feature set, and that will be very close to the street price of used or clearance 4080 Supers and whatever they decide to call the $600 5070 varient.
We shall see. A $500 card with somewhat competitive performance to a 4080 will sell a decent amount.

Basically Nvidia feature-set roughly means necessary 15-20% discount on AMD side to sell. $500-600 8800 XT or whatever AMD will call it accomplishes that goal.

Either way it will be better vs current situation.

DaGwaphics

Pissed about what? They said, this is the price. You said, OK I'll buy it. Both sides agreed to the price. That's how it works. What Nvidia makes off each sale is ultimately irrelevant to the buyer, who has already done their own cost-benefit analysis and decided the price was worth paying.

A profit margin this high indicates a lack of proper competition in the market (or collusion among competitors). If they had a rival to compete with they would be forced to compete on price even in the AI space, which would lower the profit margin. 76% = Nvidia customers getting screwed over regardless of how you want to look at it. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

zeomax

Let’s see what AMD does as the current rumor is that AMD will have 4080 level card for $500-600.
Lol. Year after year always the same rumor and this rumor never come true. It will be like always, if AMD release a card with a similar performance they also sell it to a similar price.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
AMD's market cap at the moment is 265 billion, while Nvidia's market cap is 1.6 trillion dollars. Actually, it seems that the Nvidia market cap has gone up from 500 billion to 1.6 trillion in a year! Amazing.

This is crazy!!!

FStubbs

Just reveal the next Shield with tegra
Do Want Give It To Me GIF
I hear it got delayed to next year.

Top Bottom