• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia reports record earnings, profits on growth in AI and gaming

NVIDIA's Q4 2024 Fiscal period (for the kiddies new to NVDA, this is NOT a typo, their FY is weird)

Documents​

Press Release

Revenue by Market Segment

CFO Commentary - Financial Statements

CEO Comments​

“Accelerated computing and generative AI have hit the tipping point. Demand is surging worldwide across companies, industries and nations,” said Jensen Huang, founder and CEO of NVIDIA.
“Our Data Center platform is powered by increasingly diverse drivers — demand for data processing, training and inference from large cloud-service providers and GPU-specialized ones, as well as from enterprise software and consumer internet companies. Vertical industries — led by auto, financial services and healthcare — are now at a multibillion-dollar level.
“NVIDIA RTX, introduced less than six years ago, is now a massive PC platform for generative AI, enjoyed by 100 million gamers and creators. The year ahead will bring major new product cycles with exceptional innovations to help propel our industry forward. Come join us at next month’s GTC, where we and our rich ecosystem will reveal the exciting future ahead,” he said.

Summary​

• Total Revenue is $22.103 billion up 265% YoY and Up 22% QoQ
  • GAAP Gross Margin is at 76% (up 12.7 bps YoY and up 2 bps QoQ)
  • Non-GAAP Gross Margin is at 76.7% (up 10.6 bps YoY and up 1.7 bps QoQ)
  • GAAP EPS $4.93 (up 765% YoY and up 33% QoQ)
  • Non-GAAP EPS $5.16 (up 486% YoY and up 28% QoQ)

Revenue by Market (in Millions)​

Segment
Fiscal Q4 2024
Fiscal Q4 2023
% YoY Growth
Datacenter​
$18,404​
$3,616​
+409%​
Gaming​
$2,865​
$1,831​
+56%​
Professional Visualization​
$463​
$226​
+105%​
Automotive​
$281​
$294​
-4%​
OEM & Other​
$90​
$84​
+7%​
Total
$22,103
$6,051
+265%
  • Data Center revenue for the fourth quarter was a record, up 409% from a year ago and up 27% sequentially. These increases reflect higher shipments of the NVIDIA Hopper GPU computing platform used for the training and inference of large language models, recommendation engines, and generative AI applications, along with InfiniBand end-to-end solutions. Data Center revenue for fiscal year 2024 was up 217%. In the fourth quarter, large cloud providers represented more than half of our Data Center revenue, supporting both internal workloads and external customers. Strong demand was driven by enterprise software and consumer internet applications, and multiple industry verticals including automotive, financial services, and healthcare. Customers across industry verticals access NVIDIA AI infrastructure both through the cloud and on-premises. Data Center sales to China declined significantly in the fourth quarter due to U.S. government licensing requirements. Data Center compute revenue was up 488% from a year ago and up 27% sequentially in the fourth quarter; it was up 244% in the fiscal year. Networking revenue was up 217% from a year ago and up 28% sequentially in the fourth quarter; it was up 133% in the fiscal year.
  • Gaming revenue was up 56% from a year ago and flat sequentially. Fiscal year revenue was up 15%. The year-on-year increases for the quarter and fiscal year reflect higher sell-in to partners following the normalization of channel inventory levels and growing demand. The launch of our GeForce RTX 40 SUPER Series family of GPUs also contributed to revenue in the quarter.
  • Professional Visualization revenue was up 105% from a year ago and up 11% sequentially. Fiscal year revenue was up 1%. The year-on-year increase for the quarter primarily reflects higher sell-in to partners following normalization of channel inventory levels. The sequential increase was primarily due to the ramp of desktop workstations based on the Ada Lovelace GPU architecture.
  • Automotive revenue was down 4% from a year ago and up 8% sequentially. Fiscal year revenue was up 21%. The sequential increase was driven by self-driving platforms. The year-on-year decrease for the quarter was driven by AI Cockpit, offset by an increase in self-driving platforms. The year-on-year increase for the fiscal year primarily reflected growth in self-driving platforms.
  • NVIDIA will pay its next quarterly cash dividend of $0.04 per share on March 27, 2024, to all shareholders of record on March 6, 2024.
Recent Highlights

NVIDIA achieved progress since its previous earnings announcement in these areas:

Data Center

Gaming

• Fourth-quarter revenue was $2.9 billion, flat from the previous quarter and up 56% from a year ago. Full-year revenue rose 15% to $10.4 billion.
  • Launched GeForce RTX™ 40 SUPER Series GPUs, starting at $599, which support the latest NVIDIA RTX™ technologies, including DLSS 3.5 Ray Reconstruction and NVIDIA Reflex.
  • Announced generative AI capabilities for its installed base of over 100 million RTX AI PCs, including Tensor-RT™ LLM to accelerate inference on large language models, and Chat with RTX, a tech demo that lets users personalize a chatbot with their own content.
  • Introduced microservices for the NVIDIA Avatar Cloud Engine, allowing game and application developers to integrate state-of-the-art generative AI models into non-playable characters.
  • Reached the milestone of 500 AI-powered RTX games and applications utilizing NVIDIA DLSS, ray tracing and other NVIDIA RTX technologies.
Professional Visualization

• Fourth-quarter revenue was $463 million, up 11% from the previous quarter and up 105% from a year ago. Full-year revenue rose 1% to $1.6 billion.
  • Announced adoption of NVIDIA Omniverse™ by the global automotive-configurator ecosystem.
  • Announced the NVIDIA RTX 2000 Ada Generation GPU, bringing the latest AI, graphics and compute technology to compact workstations.
Automotive

• Fourth-quarter revenue was $281 million, up 8% from the previous quarter and down 4% from a year ago. Full-year revenue rose 21% to $1.1 billion.
  • Announced further adoption of its NVIDIA DRIVE® platform, with Great Wall Motors, ZEEKR and Xiaomi using DRIVE Orin™ to power intelligent automated-driving systems and Li Auto selecting DRIVE Thor™ as its centralized car computer.
Q1 Fiscal Year 2025 Outlook

• Revenue is expected to be $24.0 billion, plus or minus 2%.
  • GAAP and non-GAAP gross margins are expected to be 76.3% and 77.0%, respectively, plus or minus 50 basis points.
  • GAAP and non-GAAP operating expenses are expected to be approximately $3.5 billion and $2.5 billion, respectively.
  • GAAP and non-GAAP other income and expense are expected to be an income of approximately $250 million, excluding gains and losses from non-affiliated investments.
  • GAAP and non-GAAP tax rates are expected to be 17.0%, plus or minus 1%, excluding any discrete items.

Looks like money's back on the menu, boys!
gamers-nexus-nvidia.gif
j

Lost in all of the AI hype and massive growth there is the fact that Gaming segment is extremely healthy too.

Remember, the more you buy, the more you save!

Audiophile

Gold Member
Can't they just write "revenue" and "profit"..?

Feel like I need a PhD in Brain Science & Rocket Surgery to work out what's going on.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Just reveal the next Shield with tegra
Do Want Give It To Me GIF
They definitely could succeed with that nowadays, given the success of the Steam Deck. I loved my OG Sheild, it was an emulation beast.

Now imagine having a handheld with DLSS3+ that can run all your PC games… it’d be amazing.

They’ll never do it.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
They definitely could succeed with that nowadays, given the success of the Steam Deck. I loved my OG Sheild, it was an emulation beast.

Now imagine having a handheld with DLSS3+ that can run all your PC games… it’d be amazing.

They’ll never do it.
Money makes people do things that they wouldn't normally do.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Money makes people do things that they wouldn't normally do.
Yeah, but a new Sheild wouldn’t put a dent in their bottom line compared to everything else they’re doing. It’s seems that they’re slowly stepping away from gaming in favor of AI and automotive. (I’m sure they’ll always make GPUs and chips that’ll be used for gaming, though.)

Thats still a wild margin overall. Impressive but if I were an Nvidia customer I might be a bit pissed lol
Pissed about what? They said, this is the price. You said, OK I'll buy it. Both sides agreed to the price. That's how it works. What Nvidia makes off each sale is ultimately irrelevant to the buyer, who has already done their own cost-benefit analysis and decided the price was worth paying.

MikeM

Pissed about what? They said, this is the price. You said, OK I'll buy it. Both sides agreed to the price. That's how it works. What Nvidia makes off each sale is ultimately irrelevant to the buyer, who has already done their own cost-benefit analysis and decided the price was worth paying.
Go Ahead Yes GIF

hlm666

So gaming segment has accepted the prices, it seems to have bounced back a little above the revenue it was doing a few years ago. That data centre rev though lol it was less than games 3 or 4 years ago. It's like the bloody gold rush except nvidia is the only one with picks and people will buy them for the cost of a whole mine.

And just wait until they launch their Windows ARM CPU in 2025. The all-Nvidia machine will be a reality.

Say “night, night” Intel,
Intel needs to focus on getting their fabs up to competitive levels, they could then fall back on that like a tsmc to save their souls. If they don't have a back up plan they may aswell head to the gravity drive already and accept fate.

the-setup-1660232163.jpg

Last edited:

Fredrik

5090 - starting price £2700/$3000

Not a joke either. That's what I'm expecting. People will still lap it up.

I payed $2500 for the 4090, I expect the 5090 to go for $3500 in my taxes and inflation infested country. 🤕
Salaries has hardly gone up at all, that’s the real kick in the balls.
I invest in Nvidia stocks to afford my hobbies. No joke, been doing it for years. Will sell when the marked opens and use for a planned living room PC. Could never afford higher end PC gaming by using my salary.

daninthemix

They'll have to show me some special tech with the 5090 because the 4090 is still smoking games.
The problem is the 4090 is so far ahead of all consoles, that even when you max out a multiplatform release, you're still miles ahead in resolution and frame-rate, whilst having higher graphics settings. So where is there for the 5090 to go? A PS5 Pro won't move the needle in that regard.

Wildebeest

They'll have to show me some special tech with the 5090 because the 4090 is still smoking games.
That is a non problem. Game developers will gladly make games so badly optimised that a 4090 can't play it if given the opportunity. And gamers will go, "wow, this game must be great if a 4090 can't play it, so excited."

StereoVsn

They’ll never do it.
What CPU would it use? Nvidia doesn’t have an SoC unless it goes ARM and then it won’t be able to play those games.

They could produce a competent Android device , but for what purpose? Android tablets aren’t the hottest market and a handheld won’t be able to play majority of Windows games.

winjer

Gold Member
What CPU would it use? Nvidia doesn’t have an SoC unless it goes ARM and then it won’t be able to play those games.

They could produce a competent Android device , but for what purpose? Android tablets aren’t the hottest market and a handheld won’t be able to play majority of Windows games.

If AMD and NVidia had merged in 2005, with Jensen as CEO, today we would probably have a giant in GPUs and the X86 market.

Great results from Nvidia. I'm only worrying because the gaming is becoming a very small part of the company revenue. Will they continue to push graphics and gaming tech in the future, or are they switching their focus on AI stuff completely?

AMD's market cap at the moment is 265 billion, while Nvidia's market cap is 1.6 trillion dollars. Actually, it seems that the Nvidia market cap has gone up from 500 billion to 1.6 trillion in a year! Amazing.

They said, this is the price. You said, OK I'll buy it. Both sides agreed to the price.
I don't think consumers have any pricing power against corporations in a monopoly position. Were we all just supposed to suffer and buy AMD GPUs? Imagine if there was actual competition. It didn't help that Nvidia GPUs were grossly inflated due to crypto mining. Even if mining completely disappeared, the higher prices become anchored.

Dacvak

Oh yeah, good point.

I don't think consumers have any pricing power against corporations in a monopoly position. Were we all just supposed to suffer and buy AMD GPUs? Imagine if there was actual competition. It didn't help that Nvidia GPUs were grossly inflated due to crypto mining. Even if mining completely disappeared, the higher prices become anchored.
If developing a new GPU were that easy, everyone would be doing it. Watching AMD struggle for 20 years and Intel try to enter the market, it's clear that Nvidia's got a pretty significant technological lead on any would be competitors. If you earned your monopoly by constantly having superior technology and by constantly improving your technology, that's really hard to complain about.

The problem is the 4090 is so far ahead of all consoles, that even when you max out a multiplatform release, you're still miles ahead in resolution and frame-rate, whilst having higher graphics settings. So where is there for the 5090 to go? A PS5 Pro won't move the needle in that regard.
I'm pretty sure some Belarussian in a basement will release an Early Access asset flip title that even brings the 5090 to its knees when it releases.

Neofire

Congratulations to the shareholders lol. That fall is going to be hard though I tell ya. They are banking too much on A.I in my opinion.

Reallink

Congratulations to the shareholders lol. That fall is going to be hard though I tell ya. They are banking too much on A.I in my opinion.

AI isn't crypto bros buying up GPUs for basement/garage mines, it's being driven by the wealthiest companies in the history of the world. The only scearios that would cause a crash are AI development hitting a wall and companies abandoning it overnight, or some competitor releasing a better neural processor than Nvidia. Neither of which are particularly likely, certainly not in the short to mid term. In gaming the 5000 series will be completely uncontested by AMD and they'll be earning 2x - 3x margins on the BoM for every card outside the garbage tier lowest end.

StereoVsn

Gamers are f-d as Jensen is free to charge whatever he wants basically. 5080 is going to be $1,200 again, isn’t it? 🤬

Top Bottom