• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 PC to have meaningful bespoke features

zelas

And at launch, we're offering an expansion pass for Destiny 2, containing two future expansions, along with a continuous calendar of other events. Encouragingly, the SKUs that contain the expansion pass have attracted the majority of pre-orders so far.

Well, the community's reception to the reveal was obviously awesome. And after four weeks, Destiny 2 pre-orders are tracking amongst the top in Activision Publishing's history.

So much thirst. And we still have people on this site completely underestimating the demand for this holiday's AAA titles.

Corpekata

Banned
You can do it like Netflix and pay 9 dollars a month for PS+. If you don't want to keep paying...then don't pay 9 dollars the month after?

You aren't committed to anything in PSN.

Price isn't an issue here anymore.

He has to if he wants to play the game thread is about lol?

It's been one of the top games on twitch for 3 years already :)

PC will obviously help a lot though!

It's still in the top 20 most viewed games on Twitch but it's been falling off pretty hard for a while now. Not that it's surprising, considering the lack of content and console exclusivity. I'm just saying that with it releasing on PC + all of the things I mentioned it's going to be a complete juggernaut. I'm gonna be upgrading my GPU just for it. :D

oSoLucky

If the PC version is good guess I'll be triple dipping this time. Hard having so many friends on the different platforms.

ACE 1991

I still can't shake the feeling that this game is going to have a much less healthy player base on PC than on consoles. Being able to transfer your character between platforms easily would be such an incredible feature, but I seriously doubt it.

I still can't shake the feeling that this game is going to have a much less healthy player base on PC than on consoles. Being able to transfer your character between platforms easily would be such an incredible feature, but I seriously doubt it.

I think it will be extremely healthy under a few conditions.

-good launcher platform (and it will likely be on Steam right? So we're good there)
-variable framerate, FoV slider, other graphical options
-hard to cheat (this one is super important as cheating will pretty much ruin the game, both pve and especially pvp)
-appropriate UI changes.

If it's a good port, I don't think there is anything to worry about.

MaxiLive

I'm guessing this will just be dynamic scaling support, input device support (mouse and keyboard) and FOV slider but limited like Overwatch due to competitiveness as they take it quite seriously. (hopefully it allows more and proper 21:9 support).

I can't see them adding too much more to PC as it is probably a sister studio focusing on PC support and compatibility rather than Bungie themselves and I think they will be quite strict about competitiveness and will focus more on anti cheat/hacking than feature sets.

I'm hoping to see uncapped fps, 21:9/multi-monitor, proper raw mouse input support, fully adjustable fov and maybe a few graphic tweaks like dynamic scaling, extra shadow draw distance, decent AA etc.

ViciousDS

Banned
I think it will be extremely healthy under a few conditions.

-good launcher platform (and it will likely be on Steam right? So we're good there)
-variable framerate, FoV slider, other graphical options
-hard to cheat (this one is super important as cheating will pretty much ruin the game, both pve and especially pvp)
-appropriate UI changes.

If it's a good port, I don't think there is anything to worry about.

if it sends data to and from the server.....which it will being online, it will be hard to cheat via character modding or giving yourself tons of loots. Aimbots will always exist in a small form or another. But I think requiring a connection at all times will alleviate most issues. Problem will be what will be kept client side that can be changed, which other than player input won't be much

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The decision between Destiny PS4 and Destiny PC will be rough. Destiny PS4 GAF are my people, but this game could be insane on PC. I wonder how if they will vary the encounters at all. I think a M/KB would have made some parts of D1 a lot easier.

The decision between Destiny PS4 and Destiny PC will be rough. Destiny PS4 GAF are my people, but this game could be insane on PC. I wonder how if they will vary the encounters at all. I think a M/KB would have made some parts of D1 a lot easier.

With the amount of aim assist on consoles? I think it'll be pretty comparable.

Strakt

All the huge streamers are gonna be playin this on PC. Destiny 2 is gonna be huge on all platforms (But I think PC is gonna convert console players if its done right)

Carlius

Banned
The thirst for Destiny 2 seems real. I'm looking forward to the gameplay reveal and I'll have a better judge on wether I'm in day one or not. I just hope the narrative is told in a better way this time.

while i am not a fan of recent fps, i do love the idea of destiny. maybe the setting, the whole mmoish aspect of it. so yes, i am hyped about it being on pc.

While I am getting the PS4 version, I do hope there is some sort of universal account such that I can take my PS4 character to the PC if I want (though I guess exclusive gear would be locked from use until it is out on the other systems). It isnt going to happen, but it would make me double dip.

if it sends data to and from the server.....which it will being online, it will be hard to cheat via character modding or giving yourself tons of loots. Aimbots will always exist in a small form or another. But I think requiring a connection at all times will alleviate most issues. Problem will be what will be kept client side that can be changed, which other than player input won't be much

Wasnt The Division a hackers paradise?

While I am getting the PS4 version, I do hope there is some sort of universal account such that I can take my PS4 character to the PC if I want (though I guess exclusive gear would be locked from use until it is out on the other systems). It isnt going to happen, but it would make me double dip.

Because Ubisoft did something that every single other MMO developer on PC stopped doing years ago, having a bunch of client-side stuff in an always online game.

All the huge streamers are gonna be playin this on PC. Destiny 2 is gonna be huge on all platforms (But I think PC is gonna convert console players if its done right)

Comparable games like Borderlands and The Division sold huge numbers on PC. The PC community eats these types of games up and with Destiny having more of an MMOish feel to it that just lines up even stronger.

Unless they fuck this thing up its gonna be massive on PC

forrest

formerly nacire
You can do it like Netflix and pay 9 dollars a month for PS+. If you don't want to keep paying...then don't pay 9 dollars the month after?

You aren't committed to anything in PSN.

Price isn't an issue here anymore.

While I appreciate the fact that it's easily affordable, it doesn't mean it isn't any issue when there are other platforms that won't charge for online access. It's certainly a con when comparing the two versions of the game.

The Division was and still is to a much lesser extent a hacker's paradise because they naively stored most character data client side instead of server side. Most MMO's/online games don't do this so The Division is the exception to the rule as far as AAA games go.

The Division was and still is to a much lesser extent a hacker's paradise because they naively stored most character data client side instead of server side. Most MMO's/online games don't do this so The Division is the exception to the rule as far as AAA games go.

Implicitly trusting the client is common in PC ports of console games. Destiny 1 initially was also easy to hack on the last gen consoles before they put more server checks in place.

I have little confidence Bungie will get this right on their first pass. I'd love to be proven wrong, but they haven't really touched PC development since Halo 2 PC, so I'm not holding my breath.

Kyoufu

Implicitly trusting the client is common in PC ports of console games. Destiny 1 initially was also easy to hack on the last gen consoles before they put more server checks in place.

I have little confidence Bungie will get this right on their first pass. I'd love to be proven wrong, but they haven't really touched PC development since Halo 2 PC, so I'm not holding my breath.

Blizzard would have advised Bungie on this area already so I'm not worried about that.

Full 21:9 support
Uncapped FPS
Uncapped FOV slider
Full Graphics Features including support for Vulcan, DX12 and OpenGL.
Dedicated Servers
64 tickrate for All Gamemodes
No nvidia exclusive graphics features
FPS monitor option built-in
Benchmarking tool

Sure I'm missing something...sadly I bet most of this list wont be included but I'd be stoke if they did have even half of it.

image.php

Blizzard would have advised Bungie on this area already so I'm not worried about that.

Yeah from everything we've heard Blizzard and Bungie have a pretty close relationship now days. I'm sure they've been communicating a lot on how to tackle PC and are hopefully learning from some of the mistakes Blizzard made in the past.

Like one of the reasons The Taken King turned out as well as it did is Blizzard met with them and discussed things they did to improve Diablo 3 through Reaper of Souls expansion. Likewise Bungie consulted / helped Blizzard with figuring out how to tackle aiming / fps control on console with Overwatch.

Durante

Because they ignored some of the very fundamentals of game networking which have been known and implemented for literally 20 years. I don't think Destiny 2 will have that issue.

Other people commented on this but I want to clarify that it's not a "recent" or "MMO" thing. Quake 2, released in 1997, had a fully server-authoritative networking model.

Magwik

Banned
Everyone saying Destiny will be a ghost town on PC is ignoring the amount of PC gamers who bought consoles for Destiny.

Everyone saying Destiny will be a ghost town on PC is ignoring the amount of PC gamers who bought consoles for Destiny.

Or the 1.2 million people who bought The Division on Steam (likely 2 million or so with UPLAY included given For Honor splits) and the fact it still had over 100k players in the last 2 week on Steam alone. And Division is plagued with problems on the PC.

A good Destiny 2 will be plenty healthy on PC. It's all just on Bungie on whether they deliver or not, because the community is there.

BigPapi

Uncapped FPS
Uncapped FOV slider
Dedicated Servers
Benchmarking tool

Sure I'm missing something...sadly I bet most of this list wont be included but I'd be stoke if they did have even half of it.

This right here if the game is missing either the uncapped fps or fov it's no buy for me

I have lots of confidence in Bungie as a console developer, but do they have much of a track record (recently) on PC? I would also like all the nice features people are mentioning, but we're talking about stuff that even seasoned PC developers don't always deliver.

Kyoufu

I have lots of confidence in Bungie as a console developer, but do they have much of a track record (recently) on PC? I would also like all the nice features people are mentioning, but we're talking about stuff that even seasoned PC developers don't always deliver.

They're showing it off alongside the PS4 version on the 18th so they must be confident about it.

I hope it is not a ghost town I got blops 3 on PC and it was almost impossible to find a free for all match. I had to get it on PS4 instead as free for all was my favorite mode

UberLevi

Primarily a PC gamer here, but I finally buckled and bought Destiny on Xbox One. I loved it, and since Destiny 2 is coming to PC I will definitely be switching to PC once it hits. I've got a buddy planning the same as well. The community is definitely there. Can't wait for the reveal.

I would love to see destiny 2 run with medium spec gpu's at 1080 60 with some clean visuals but in reality I also expect to cap the game to 30 on my gtx950, I did that a lot with my old 260 back in the day and had no problem with most games.

mikeGFG

Banned
Uncapped FPS
Uncapped FOV slider
Dedicated Servers
Benchmarking tool

lets be real they're going to slap text chat in here and call it a day.

Magwik

Banned
I would love to see destiny 2 run with medium spec gpu's at 1080 60 with some clean visuals but in reality I also expect to cap the game to 30 on my gtx950, I did that a lot with my old 260 back in the day and had no problem with most games.

I'd be shocked if a 1060 didn't net you high settings at 60 unless your CPU is a major drawback.

It'll be interesting to see what spec recommendation will be, as the rumor is significant visual improvements to Destiny 2 over 1 as well as vastly larger more densely packed play spaces

Top Bottom